What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tyler Eifert, TE (JAC) (1 Viewer)

After consulting with Dr. Watkins, Bengals’ TE Tyler Eifert has decided to undergo season-ending back surgery, per source.

per Adam schefter

At the conclusion of his rookie contract, he'll have appeared in 39 of a possible 80 regular-season games.  :missing:

I just cut him and it felt soooooo good.

Is there a thread for Kroft? Already have Doyle and Ingram but dropped Moncrief for Kroft anyway. Hoping to get a solid TE down the stretch out of one of the 3.

was surprised to see him cut in a 16 team dynasty league with 40 man rosters and 5 IR spots.  I snapped him up and will IR him til next year.  He's stil pretty young, and last i read is they expect him fully healthy as a FA in 2018...

Free agent Tyler Eifert said he is back to full health.

Eifert was limited to just two games last season because of a back injury which required yet another surgery, but the tight end believes he can return to his old form. "There’s no question I can get back to where I’ve been," Eifert said. "Everything is fixed." Bengals director of player personnel Duke Tobin said the team "values" Eifert but admitted his injury history will make negotiations difficult. As it stands, Eifert looks headed toward the market.

Source: Cincinnati Enquirer 

Mar 6 - 10:30 AM

Eifert feels like he could be the steal of the offseason. Pro Bowl caliber TE, for peanuts because of injury concerns that are built into his price. Worst case scenario, he can't stay healthy and you are out a few million dollars. Best case, he does stay healthy, and is a Pro Bowl TE. Seems well worth the small risk.

Meh, not a bad landing spot (known chemistry w/Dalton) and a pretty nice 1-year deal. Should be cheap to handcuff Kroft now. Before this signing, Kroft was priced similarly in redraft from what I'd seen.

Marvin Lewis was vague on Tyler Eifert's health after he missed Tuesday's minicamp session.

Per reporter Jim Owczarski, Lewis was "surprised" at Eifert's absence. "As time goes on when we start to play football then we will have an idea of where he is," Lewis said afterward. Eifert claimed he was back to full health in March, but he was limited in last month's OTAs sessions. One of the league's least-durable players, Eifert has appeared in 24-of-64 possible games over the past four years.

Source: Paul Dehner on Twitter 

Jun 12 - 4:56 PM

He's almost dropable, even in dynasty.

Coach Marvin Lewis hinted Tyler Eifert (back) may not be ready for training camp.

When asked, Lewis said he simply does not know if the oft-injured Eifert will be ready. He was limited at OTAs last month but has sat out all of minicamp this week and may have suffered a setback. Anything the Bengals get from Eifert this year will have to be considered a bonus. Tyler Kroft and C.J. Uzomah are his backups.

Bengals.com does not expect Tyler Eifert (back) to be ready for the beginning of training camp on Thursday.

The website considers Eifert's status "as up in the air as it was six weeks ago." "Hopefully Tyler Eifert can come back and be a factor for us," executive Duke Tobin said. "I can’t predict the future on that one." Eifert's back limited him to two games in 2017. He's made just 10 appearances over the past two years and only 24 over the past four. Eifert should be considered questionable for Week 1 and beyond.

Source: bengals.com 

Jul 24 - 6:22 PM

This guy always has a bum back just like Jordan Reed always has a bum ankle or toe. I'll let him be someone elses problem. Gambling at the TE position is not smart. Sometimes nothing good comes down the waiver wire. At least at Running Back, you know there will be a higher turnover.

Dodds suggests that safe play is to draft Eifert, and if he turns up hurt, grab Kroft to replace him. Get both in a deep league.

The Tylerx2 strategy.

he is basically going as a backup TE. if he plays say 10-12 games....hes is worth the pick. looked good in pre-season too...fine dice roll at his ADP. 

Dodds suggests that safe play is to draft Eifert, and if he turns up hurt, grab Kroft to replace him. Get both in a deep league.

The Tylerx2 strategy.
Tyler Kroft is garbaggio.  I would rather take a chance on an unknown like Seals-Jones or Vannet or even just stream.  Kroft played all last seasons and had how many startable games?  2? 3?   No thanks.  

Eiffert is going to be on a snap count, so idk about him either. Nothing safe about either of those guys.  

he is basically going as a backup TE. if he plays say 10-12 games....hes is worth the pick. looked good in pre-season too...fine dice roll at his ADP. 
Went undrafted in my long time redraft. He’s been sitting on the wire 11 days.,I finally dropped Ebron for him. Don’t need him (have Olsen) but if he starts getting RZ looks might flex him. Don’t think we will ever see consistency from EE & he actually is a backup so why not?

I would rather take a chance on an unknown like Seals-Jones or Vannet or even just stream.   
The answer here is Seals-Jones. With Check-down Charlie Sam Bradford, theres a strong chance he gets a fair bit of RZ and short goal line  looks. (when DJ is not targeted)

I have Eifert in one PPR (don't laugh, I waited a bit too long) but I may snag Seals-Jones myself, or Gesicki, or some new flash in the pan after week one and stream from there if Eifert doesn't come to life.

TZM

He seems like the ideal TE2. With an ADP of TE14, if you wait on TE, why not grab him and ride him until he's injured and then resort to your TE1? He's put up elite numbers when healthy. I don't see any reason to expect him to suddenly not be good when healthy. He's only 28 (in two days). 

He's too damn cheap to risk letting someone else have a top 5 TE for that price. I hate not having him in my short roster leagues. 

He seems like the ideal TE2. With an ADP of TE14, if you wait on TE, why not grab him and ride him until he's injured and then resort to your TE1? He's put up elite numbers when healthy. I don't see any reason to expect him to suddenly not be good when healthy. He's only 28 (in two days). 

He's too damn cheap to risk letting someone else have a top 5 TE for that price. I hate not having him in my short roster leagues. 
Didn't the coach say he will play on less then 50% of offensive snaps? That's a no from me dawg.

Didn't the coach say he will play on less then 50% of offensive snaps? That's a no from me dawg.
No. The coach said he hopes that he plays less than 50 snaps per game. And personally, I prefer that Eifert is on the sideline for running plays. Keep that man healthy!

No. The coach said he hopes that he plays less than 50 snaps per game. And personally, I prefer that Eifert is on the sideline for running plays. Keep that man healthy!
I see what you are saying but this also means less play actions and receptions. You pretty much have to get a TD if you only play 50 snaps. 

The answer here is Seals-Jones. With Check-down Charlie Sam Bradford, theres a strong chance he gets a fair bit of RZ and short goal line  looks. (when DJ is not targeted)

I have Eifert in one PPR (don't laugh, I waited a bit too long) but I may snag Seals-Jones myself, or Gesicki, or some new flash in the pan after week one and stream from there if Eifert doesn't come to life.

TZM
I don’t want to hijack but in his productive 2-3 game stretch last year I posted a breakdown (in the RSJ thread? Not sure) of what they were doing with him. He was only playing 15-22 snaps a game but they would put him in the slot or motion him from the wing in RZ situations. Different year different personnel but I def don’t view him as a volume play given he can’t block & will likely see limited snap counts. But def an [interesting] situation to monitor & he’s a player to watch.

ETA: didn’t know Gresham is still weeks away from returning. semi-interesting!

Last edited by a moderator:
I see what you are saying but this also means less play actions and receptions. You pretty much have to get a TD if you only play 50 snaps. 
Not really. Only if Dalton audibles from a run play to a pass play would Eifert lose out on a potential reception. Remember, the coach knows when he's going to call a play action so he can put Eifert on the field in a blocking formation on those plays with the full intent of him not actually blocking. 

Additionally, the coach said he didn't want Eifert to play more than 50 snaps, but if you look at Cincy's snaps per game, they only had 57.9 last year. They ran the ball 23.6 times a game. So that leave 34.3 snaps per game for passing plays. Eifert could easily play some of the rushing downs where they think they might want to audible to a pass or to help sell the play action later. 

In the end, I don't think limiting Eifert to 50 snaps per game is going to meaningfully impact his fantasy stats. I think even 40 snaps per game would be fine given the above data.

BobbyLayne said:
I don’t want to hijack but in his productive 2-3 game stretch last year I posted a breakdown (in the RSJ thread? Not sure) of what they were doing with him. He was only playing 15-22 snaps a game but they would put him in the slot or motion him from the wing in RZ situations. Different year different personnel but I def don’t view him as a volume play given he can’t block & will likely see limited snap counts. But def an [interesting] situation to monitor & he’s a player to watch.

ETA: didn’t know Gresham is still weeks away from returning. semi-interesting!
True, he was very sparsely used.  But I would expect nothing else as a rookie.  He did flash in the limited action he was actually involved.

Its not like the Cardinals have a bunch of weapons at wideout, and with Bradford there, he should get some work around the goal line at least. Do I think he could be a top 5 -ish flier?  No.   But he is free in drafts, and you can snag him, and stream later if need be.

As far as all my reasoning for RSJ is concerned, I actually have Eifert in one PPR league. (over RSJ)  I hate having him though, in that scoring format in that particular league.  

I think Eifert can and should be a top 10 or so guy when healthy, but that is the issue. HEALTH.   I am not expecting more than 3-4 weeks of Eifert and I am prepared to pursue someone else very soon.

Truth be known, with our scoring in most of my leagues (close to standard) its almost the best play to punt completely on TE, if you don't acquire one of the top 2-3.  Thats usually what I do, is completely discount the position and get someone in the last few rounds that has some top 10 or so upside.

QUICK EDIT -  The more I have thought the last few weeks, the best play for most of us that passed on TEs in drafts until very late, just might be one CHARLES CLAY.     The Bills have almost zero to work with this year, and with all the sketchy QB play that might be going on there, Clay might actually be a solid play this year if he can stay healthy.

TZM

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked up Eifert this week for free, moved an Eagles player to IR (actually both Jeffery & Wentz.) Drafted Olsen so it's a just a what the heck kind of move. If it doesn't work out maybe I'll see if RSJ is on the WW later in the year.

I feel like he's safe to insert into lineups now. This was classic Eifert.
I watched all of his targets and he looked good, I targeted him in every league in which he was dropped. His snaps have gone 40% > 64% > 65% and target share 11%, 10%, 17%.

I didn't notice any real boost in his numbers when Green is out, there's nothing interesting about those splits although I'll double check. But the TDs should be coming soon. 

Users who are viewing this thread