What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Twin Cities guys, need a restaurant recomendations (2 Viewers)

'jason12vb said:
Where did you end up going last year?

My only addition this year would be Sunset's in Woodbury...classy/casual with a nice beer selection and a pretty nice menu in your price range. Have gotten fantastic service every time I've been in there and have yet to be disappointed with a meal.
We ended up going to Gasthaus Bavarian Hunter last year based on AD's recomendation. Food was good, but the atmosphere was a little weird. There ended up being a decent snowfall the night we went out, and if I remember correctly, there were three other tables occupied in the entire restaraunt. Also, it turns out the other couple had been there multiple times, so the uniqueness I was going for was missed on.Right now we're leaning towards the Happy Gnome (I know the guy would dig it, he's a big beer drinking, but that also means I suspect he's been there) and the Red Stone Grill (a little more than I would prefer to spend, but it's not bad). We're actually going to see if they've been to either place this time instead of assuming we found something unique.
How so? From what my German friends tell me, it's pretty authentic.

'jason12vb said:

My only addition this year would be Sunset's in Woodbury...classy/casual with a nice beer selection and a pretty nice menu in your price range. Have gotten fantastic service every time I've been in there and have yet to be disappointed with a meal.
We ended up going to Gasthaus Bavarian Hunter last year based on AD's recomendation. Food was good, but the atmosphere was a little weird. There ended up being a decent snowfall the night we went out, and if I remember correctly, there were three other tables occupied in the entire restaraunt. Also, it turns out the other couple had been there multiple times, so the uniqueness I was going for was missed on.Right now we're leaning towards the Happy Gnome (I know the guy would dig it, he's a big beer drinking, but that also means I suspect he's been there) and the Red Stone Grill (a little more than I would prefer to spend, but it's not bad). We're actually going to see if they've been to either place this time instead of assuming we found something unique.
How so? From what my German friends tell me, it's pretty authentic.
I think my paragraph was poorly written, but the atmosphere was weird because it was so dead, and it was a Saturday night.

'Andy Dufresne said:
'Bull Dozier said:
Have you been to Black Sheep Pizza? We went there last year, and it was great. Ronally's is better?
Haven't been to Black Sheep. Will have to check that out.Ronnaly's is the best I've had. I think MSP is surprisingly terrible for pizza places. There's a place for the Hometown's and Mansetti's of the world, but they're not really "pizza places."
Coming from the New York area before moving toMN, Minnesota pizza came across as pretty terrible. A few good places though. There was one right by Hamline (by Nelson's)that I liked which had a wood-fired grill and had a good garlic rub on the crust.

'jason12vb said:

Hit up the Gnome for drinks then go elsewhere for dinner. Plenty of places by there.

Annual bump.We are taking friends our for their birthday dinner this weekend. They take us out in May or June, we take them out in February or March.Places we've gone previously:Red Stone (last year)Fogo de ChaoStrip ClubGasthaus Bavarian HunterTara's HideawayUnfortunately (for me, I'm not Catholic) we are going out tomorrow night and being Lent, the other three can't have meat. So, we are going to try to find the best italian place so there are plenty of menu options. Any top of the line italian places in the Twin Cities? I'm aware of Pazzaluna, but I'm guessing they've been there. We try to find new places no one has experienced yet. I'd like something a little more upscale, as they usually treat us to something a lot nicer than we can typically afford. I've got my bonus burning a hole in my pocket, so I'd like to return the favor. Unfortunately for my unrefined tastes, I can't tell a significant different between good and bad italian food. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the suggetions. :thumbup:Keep 'em coming if you have more. We'll probably end up going with whereever they haven't been before.

Amore Victoria in Uptown is good
I've enjoyed Amore Victoria as well.Some of my favorites:Cafe Maude (I've been the one on Penn, didn't know about the one on Loring)112 Eatery (kinda loud though)Murrays (a classic steak joint - so maybe not for Lent)Barbette (nice spot in Uptown - across the street from Amore Victoria)Lucia's (also in Uptown)Good eats!
Just noticed that Lucias is renovating their kitchen right now, so scratch that one off the list.

I've enjoyed Amore Victoria as well.Some of my favorites:Cafe Maude (I've been the one on Penn, didn't know about the one on Loring)112 Eatery (kinda loud though)Murrays (a classic steak joint - so maybe not for Lent)Barbette (nice spot in Uptown - across the street from Amore Victoria)Lucia's (also in Uptown)Good eats!
Just noticed that Lucias is renovating their kitchen right now, so scratch that one off the list.
Did you also notice that not one of your recommendations were Italian?

Add Campiello in Eden Prarie to the Italian list. Get the soup, every one I've tried has been excellent! I think that good soup is usually a good indication of a good restaurant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ugh. Change in plans. The other couple wants to go to the Hill Murray hockey game (she is a Hill grad), so we'll probably just get something in the Como area. :thumbdown:

Ugh. Change in plans. The other couple wants to go to the Hill Murray hockey game (she is a Hill grad), so we'll probably just get something in the Como area. :thumbdown:
Ah yes. Our state's equivalent to Texas Football.I.E. - the best money can buy.

go to Blue Door and get some burgers, then watch a couple good section finals. win win
Sounds good to me, but probably not the best choice on a Friday in Lent for the three Catholics I'll be hanging out with.
ah, that's too bad

Visited my friend a bunch of times there, both of my favorite places are outside your requirement range, one above and one below.Love the juicy lucy at Matt's Bar. A real hole in the wall experience but a GREAT burger. Cheap.Manny's Steak House. Literally one of the best meals I've ever had. High end, but worth it.

For a future night, have you been to LaGrolla ? (near the Happy Gnome in St. Paul on Selby).
Haven't been, but that has been suggested.
I know your plans changed, but another italian place I remembered that I liked was Broders in Edina.
Also suggested.When I have a few minutes, I'm going to update the OP with all of the suggestions (it will be my personal Twin Cities to do list).

Did you also notice that not one of your recommendations were Italian?
Yep. Was seconding Amore Victoria for Italian, & sharing a few others for those interested in, you know, restaurant recommendations in the Twin Cites or something. Carry on.

Al Vento in South Minneapolis is a place I frequently visit. Terrific and friendly service staff with reasonably priced Italian fare.http://www.alventorestaurant.com/If you hadn't put the kibosh on Minneapolis I'd send you to Bar La Grassa for a really great dinner. The soft eggs with lobster meat is superb and the gnocci with cauliflower and orange can't be beat. Highly recommended.http://www.barlagrassa.com/
I love al Vento

Every year a group of us take a trip to a Detroit Tigers away series. This year we are going to Minneapolis to see the Tigers/Twins next weekend. We get in on Thursdays.

So any other recommendations beyond what is in this thread? On Thursday we will probably have a decent dinner - maybe steak. We go to the games on Friday and Saturday.

What about bars? We are staying downtown Minneapolis. What's a good place to go after the games?

Any food that is must have or traditional Minneapolis? I saw on the Travel Channel or something about the bars that have the Juicy Lucy burgers. Worth going to those?

We also usually like to do a brewery or wine or liquor tour during a day. Anything like that there?

Thanks for the help.

If you're mobile, I'd suggest heading over to St. Paul and hitting up the St. Paul Grill, great restaurant and the hotel is awesome to look at.

Other than that, either Manny's or Murray's in downtown Minneapolis are two great steakhouses. I forget which is generally thought to be better.

For the bar scene you cannot beat psycho Suzi's. The best pizza in the city, great atmosphere(tiki bar) and live music upstairs. I forgot to mention, the best patio in the city, right on the Mississippi River overlooking downtown. Parking blows though. Was featured on dinner drive in and dives.

For the bar scene you cannot beat psycho Suzi's. The best pizza in the city, great atmosphere(tiki bar) and live music upstairs. I forgot to mention, the best patio in the city, right on the Mississippi River overlooking downtown. Parking blows though. Was featured on dinner drive in and dives.
Sounds great. Thanks.

Anyone been to the Crooked Pint Ale House? Based on the description, it sounds good (24+ beers on tap), but if the food is just meh, I won't bother. Groupon for it today.

Psycho Suzis is a good place, but it is nowhere near being the best pizza. Downtown, best pizza is Blacksheep, no doubt.

There are about 1/2 dozen brewery tap rooms that have opened up recently. Next to Target Field is Fulton. Good beer and there will be a food truck. Across the river from downtown you can hit up 3 breweries that are close to one another. Dangerous Man, Indeed, and 612.

Where you staying downtown?

Crooked Pint is ####ty. Not bad for a couple late night beers, but if you are staying close to their go south a few blocks on Washington to Grumpys instead.

Every year a group of us take a trip to a Detroit Tigers away series. This year we are going to Minneapolis to see the Tigers/Twins next weekend. We get in on Thursdays.

So any other recommendations beyond what is in this thread? On Thursday we will probably have a decent dinner - maybe steak. We go to the games on Friday and Saturday.

What about bars? We are staying downtown Minneapolis. What's a good place to go after the games?

Any food that is must have or traditional Minneapolis? I saw on the Travel Channel or something about the bars that have the Juicy Lucy burgers. Worth going to those?

We also usually like to do a brewery or wine or liquor tour during a day. Anything like that there?

Thanks for the help.
For a pre-game drink/bite, I suggest the Depot. It is attached to First Avenue (the incredible concert venue best known for being featured in Purple Rain). They have something called a diamond dog...quarter pound hot dog wrapped in bacon and fried - you can usually get a diamond dog, fries, and a beer for $10 before games. The previously mentioned Fulton brewery is also a great pre-game spot.

Not sure what you are looking for in nightlife, but I always have fun at Insert Coins. http://insertcoinsmpls.com/arcade-games - It becomes very dance clubby late night, but I like to go early to play classic video games and crush a few beers.

Also check out Union downtown. They have a retractable roof that is all the rage right now.

the moops said:
Psycho Suzis is a good place, but it is nowhere near being the best pizza. Downtown, best pizza is Blacksheep, no doubt.There are about 1/2 dozen brewery tap rooms that have opened up recently. Next to Target Field is Fulton. Good beer and there will be a food truck. Across the river from downtown you can hit up 3 breweries that are close to one another. Dangerous Man, Indeed, and 612.Where you staying downtown?
Hell yes!

Thanks for the help.
For a pre-game drink/bite, I suggest the Depot. It is attached to First Avenue (the incredible concert venue best known for being featured in Purple Rain). They have something called a diamond dog...quarter pound hot dog wrapped in bacon and fried - you can usually get a diamond dog, fries, and a beer for $10 before games. The previously mentioned Fulton brewery is also a great pre-game spot.

Not sure what you are looking for in nightlife, but I always have fun at Insert Coins. http://insertcoinsmpls.com/arcade-games - It becomes very dance clubby late night, but I like to go early to play classic video games and crush a few beers.

Also check out Union downtown. They have a retractable roof that is all the rage right now.
Thanks. I appreciate the input.

We have reservations at Manny's on Thursday and then not sure after that.

Has anyone been to Nye's Polonaise house? We are going with a few Pollocks, so this seems like a must stop after the games.

Thanks for the help.
So, where did you go, and what did you think of our fine city?

Thanks for the help.
I thought it was great. We had a great time.

We got in on Thursday and met up with some people at The Local Pub. Tried the local whiskey (I forget the name - 2 Fingers or something?). Then we had dinner at Manny's. That was excellent. Because we were staying at the W, we just went to the W bar after dinner.

On Friday, we walked around for a while to see the city, then ended up at Brit's Pub on the patio watching people play bocce. It was great weather so we had a really good time doing that. We went to dinner at Bar La Grassa that evening for dinner. It was also very good - especially the grilled prawns appetizer. Friday night we went to the game and then ... I don't remember.

Saturday - we went to the Fulton Brewery before the game and got a small tour there. After the game, we went to Nye's Polonaise and had some pierogi.

Overall - it was a great trip. Minneapolis is a terrific city. The Stadium is very, very nice. Everyone was extremely friendly. It was a great trip.

Except for the strip clubs. Those were kind of a letdown.

Thanks for the help.
I thought it was great. We had a great time.

We got in on Thursday and met up with some people at The Local Pub. Tried the local whiskey (I forget the name - 2 Fingers or something?). Then we had dinner at Manny's. That was excellent. Because we were staying at the W, we just went to the W bar after dinner.

On Friday, we walked around for a while to see the city, then ended up at Brit's Pub on the patio watching people play bocce. It was great weather so we had a really good time doing that. We went to dinner at Bar La Grassa that evening for dinner. It was also very good - especially the grilled prawns appetizer. Friday night we went to the game and then ... I don't remember.

Saturday - we went to the Fulton Brewery before the game and got a small tour there. After the game, we went to Nye's Polonaise and had some pierogi.

Overall - it was a great trip. Minneapolis is a terrific city. The Stadium is very, very nice. Everyone was extremely friendly. It was a great trip.

Except for the strip clubs. Those were kind of a letdown.
It's 2 Gingers Whiskey. The Local sold the most Jamison of any bar in the world for a few years, but then they got into a fight over the rights to the name "big ginger". So, they bottle their own now.

Target Field is really fun. I tend to only sit in my seat for about 3 innings...then I wander around to the bars and food options.

I hope you didn't end up at Auggie's. Seville is about the only bounce house I can tolerate. They have surprisingly good tater tots, and they usually let you in free with a Twins ticket.

Users who are viewing this thread