What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Turner (1 Viewer)

chihawk

Footballguy
Turner is an interesting player to me in PPR leagues. During the last years he has been very consistent in the games that he is active in and I think he is in for a very solid season. The obvious problem with him is his lack of involvement in the passing game. After the top 4-5 RBs I see him as one of the safer picks to end up in the top 10 RBs at the end of the year.

Looking at the results of real MFL draft (for 12-team PPR leagues) he is going anywhere from mid 1st round to late second round.

Is he a first round player in PPR leagues?

Turner is an interesting player to me in PPR leagues. During the last years he has been very consistent in the games that he is active in and I think he is in for a very solid season. The obvious problem with him is his lack of involvement in the passing game. After the top 4-5 RBs I see him as one of the safer picks to end up in the top 10 RBs at the end of the year. Looking at the results of real MFL draft (for 12-team PPR leagues) he is going anywhere from mid 1st round to late second round. Is he a first round player in PPR leagues?
I have him very comfortably in that 6-10 range. I see him as more of a steady performer, with fewer blow-up games than the top tier, but also with fewer question marks than most of the rest of that second tier. ADP has him at RB7, so he's not going to be a steal, but you can be reasonably certain you won't have wasted your pick.As for first round, however, probably not, only because several WR's demand first-round attention in a PPR league (and they become even more important if you start 3). Depending on your scoring, you're likely to be looking at a QB or two in the end of the first/beginning of the the second as well. Unless you think he's going to have a top-5 season, let someone else take him in the first/early second. He starts to have value at the end of the second, but is a "no brainer" if he falls to the third (depending on league size, or course. If it's a 16-team league, then mid-second becomes the value range).

Turner may be in line to catch more passes this year.

link

The Falcons also are looking to expand Turner's game and get him more involved in the passing attack. He has only 22 career receptions, but he wants to be more of a threat coming out of the backfield.

"You have to work all year round to improve all facets of your game," Turner said. "It's not like I went out and caught 100 balls a day or anything."

However, during organized team activities, Turner and the running backs stayed afterward to work on catching passes.

"Michael just hasn't had the opportunity throughout his entire career to catch passes, but he does have good hands," Falcons coach Mike Smith said.

Turner flashed his hands in practice Sunday.

"He made a nice catch on a screen pass," running backs coach Gerald Brown said. "If he can improve that part of his game, that's just going to make him a better football player."

Last edited by a moderator:
In PPR he should be ranked mid 2nd, but in real drafts, he wont fall beyond the early 2nd. The thing w/Turner is, even though he wont be a ppr stud during reg season, come playoff time, he can be a real bell cow that can carry a team in the FF playoffs. Just my two cents. Disclaimer (I own him in zero leagues to date)

I don't see Turner becoming much of a reception machine, but if Norwood continues to get hurt, Turner's PPR value may continue to increase.

Turner may be in line to catch more passes this year.

link

The Falcons also are looking to expand Turner's game and get him more involved in the passing attack. He has only 22 career receptions, but he wants to be more of a threat coming out of the backfield.

"You have to work all year round to improve all facets of your game," Turner said. "It's not like I went out and caught 100 balls a day or anything."

However, during organized team activities, Turner and the running backs stayed afterward to work on catching passes.

"Michael just hasn't had the opportunity throughout his entire career to catch passes, but he does have good hands," Falcons coach Mike Smith said.

Turner flashed his hands in practice Sunday.

"He made a nice catch on a screen pass," running backs coach Gerald Brown said. "If he can improve that part of his game, that's just going to make him a better football player."
It is an interesting debate for sure. With only 22 career receptions, my guess is that we would have an "ole' stone hands" nickname for him IF he struggled in the passing game to this point. I see no reason why he CAN'T catch more and we need to decide whether articles like this are the proverbial coachspeak of "we will get RB X and RB Y in the backfield at the same time"...which rarely happens. Even if he can get 25 receptions, it eases the blow of taking him early. Personally, I find TDs harder to project than receptions for RBs, which is why I am a little shy on him...but in a 12 team league, if he set foot in round 2 and I had the chance to pick him, I would most likely jump on him regardless of scoring.

In his few opportunities, I've never seen him struggle, or look awkward catching the ball. He just hasn't had a lot of opportunities. He's not going to become Marshall Faulk, but I could see 15-20 receptions this season. Even still, in 2008, in my PPR league, he was RB4 and #9 overall in FF scoring. His PPR "downgrade" is way oversold, IMO. I plan on going WR/WR, but if he's still there, he's mine.

Im glad to see this thread, i have put alot of thought into this. I feel that he is undervalued in PPR and that so many owners read how bad he is in PPR and may slip a couple spots. These are my thoughts:

1) he is in a tier by himself, not as good as CJ up until Gore but better than S jax, D williams, Mendenhal.

2) he has a shot at 20 total tds

3) he has a shot at many 100 yard bonus's (+ 3 in most leagues, makes up for lack of catches)

4) Lastly, ALL my leagues are .5 ppr, i live in nyc and every league i know is .5 ppr, i dont know how it is around the rest of the country but imo more leagues are .5 ppr and footballguys.com should cater to .5 ppr more so than ppr, but thats a different thread) In .5 ppr the hit Turner takes on receptions in even less of an impact, yet people still think he stinks in PPR, this can be exploited by a good owner.

Hope this helps..........fyi.....i have him 8 overall on my board in .5 ppr after Andre Johnson and Moss ( Moss playing for money, if the stays healthy 15 tds a lock and Brady is healthy not to get off topic

Im glad to see this thread, i have put alot of thought into this. I feel that he is undervalued in PPR and that so many owners read how bad he is in PPR and may slip a couple spots. These are my thoughts:1) he is in a tier by himself, not as good as CJ up until Gore but better than S jax, D williams, Mendenhal.2) he has a shot at 20 total tds3) he has a shot at many 100 yard bonus's (+ 3 in most leagues, makes up for lack of catches)4) Lastly, ALL my leagues are .5 ppr, i live in nyc and every league i know is .5 ppr, i dont know how it is around the rest of the country but imo more leagues are .5 ppr and footballguys.com should cater to .5 ppr more so than ppr, but thats a different thread) In .5 ppr the hit Turner takes on receptions in even less of an impact, yet people still think he stinks in PPR, this can be exploited by a good owner. Hope this helps..........fyi.....i have him 8 overall on my board in .5 ppr after Andre Johnson and Moss ( Moss playing for money, if the stays healthy 15 tds a lock and Brady is healthy not to get off topic
I think he's every bit as good as Gore, if not better.20tds is def not out of reach.I dont drop turner in PPR. i think he gets around 15-20rec this season as well (an epiphany of sorts)... they want to get him more involved; so why not? TD machine. power. speed.love him

I really can not see him lasting past the first round regardless of format. There just aren't many backs that are a lock for 1500 rushing if they play 16: CJ, AD, Gore, and Turner. That alone makes him first round material.

If any of the hype is true about him catching more passes (he caught one in PSwk1) then it's even less likely.

Talent-wise he's a top-five back, and one of the few out there with no one to challenge for carries. In ppr I would slot him behind Gore and maybe SJax depending on how brave you are, but wouldn't go as far to put him behind D-Will. RB7 at worst.

On the local Falcon Boards OC Mularkey is much maligned for his amnesia on what a draw play is or how to actually set up and throw a screen pass. After watching preseason game 1, I believe he has found his missing pages perhaps and they actually did some screens and draws.

The additional use of screens will help Turner and Norwood spread things out a bit and increase the ppr's

In PPR, after the top 5 RBs and AJ are gone it comes down to a choice of Turner, Moss, or SJax. SJax has the most questions but in PPR he may be the most solid if he can stay healthy.

Eliminate SJax from the equation if your risk adverse and it has to be a toss-up between Moss and Turner right?

I'll definitely keep my eyes on the next two pre-season games to see if he gets any receptions or targets from Ryan. If he starts getting involved in a screen pass here and a dump off there, he definitely moves into the 1st round in any PPR league.

Turner is an interesting player to me in PPR leagues. During the last years he has been very consistent in the games that he is active in and I think he is in for a very solid season. The obvious problem with him is his lack of involvement in the passing game. After the top 4-5 RBs I see him as one of the safer picks to end up in the top 10 RBs at the end of the year. Looking at the results of real MFL draft (for 12-team PPR leagues) he is going anywhere from mid 1st round to late second round. Is he a first round player in PPR leagues?
I don't drop him at all.. due to the consistency and fact that he one of few backs not in RBBC.

I don't drop him at all.. due to the consistency and fact that he one of few backs not in RBBC.
I pick 7th in a 1 pt PPR and assuming the first 5 ranked backs are off the board and if A Johnson isn't there I'm grabbing Turner. If he stays healthy I know I have a back that will finish 4th-10th range among RBs.

I pick 7th in a 1 pt PPR and assuming the first 5 ranked backs are off the board and if A Johnson isn't there I'm grabbing Turner. If he stays healthy I know I have a back that will finish 4th-10th range among RBs.
You wouldn't consider taking SJax above Turner since it's a 1 pt PPR? I know SJax could be an injury risk, but with a rookie QB he could be getting a ton of dump offs and screen passes.

i dont understand the big scare of ppr

in my ppr league in 08, he was the #3 rb................with 6 receptions

:moneybag:

(note: deangelo williams was #1, with 22 rec.)

Users who are viewing this thread