What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

trying to lose.... (1 Viewer)

jb1020

Footballguy
a guy in my league has already clinched his spot, but was contemplating benching his team. in our league we have 3 divisions. in one division a team will win with a losing record. espn has it set up where the best team plays the wildcard as opposed to the worst team. it raised a huge stink so the guy is playing to win now, but what do you think? fair or good strategy?

just so happens it would have clinched me the wildcard though...

We solved this problem in our league a few years back. We have a weekly $$ winner for high score! :lmao:

there should be a rule in your league that you must start a complete lineup....if they want to put in hurt guys or sucky guys, fine but fill out a real lineup, not forfeight.

And I always think you anger the fantasy mojo by losing.....keep it rolling

a guy in my league has already clinched his spot, but was contemplating benching his team. in our league we have 3 divisions. in one division a team will win with a losing record. espn has it set up where the best team plays the wildcard as opposed to the worst team. it raised a huge stink so the guy is playing to win now, but what do you think? fair or good strategy?just so happens it would have clinched me the wildcard though...
First, IMO the league is set up correctly as that is the way the NFL does it, IIRC.Second, would / could an NFL team use this strategy? I think so. Therefore, he is just using good strategy, with the caveat that he must put a full team on the field, even if it is not his best. (just like the nfl)

First, IMO the league is set up correctly as that is the way the NFL does it, IIRC.Second, would / could an NFL team use this strategy? I think so. Therefore, he is just using good strategy, with the caveat that he must put a full team on the field, even if it is not his best. (just like the nfl)
thats how i see it. nfl teams play their back up all the time. i think we might take it to a vote and have a reseeding before the playoffs. this is the first year we have used espn.

a guy in my league has already clinched his spot, but was contemplating benching his team. in our league we have 3 divisions. in one division a team will win with a losing record. espn has it set up where the best team plays the wildcard as opposed to the worst team. it raised a huge stink so the guy is playing to win now, but what do you think? fair or good strategy?

a) I feel bad for people who let terms be dictated to themb) Have you ever played roll-your-own stud poker? Our rules have the top seed in each playoff round choose their opponent. Hence, one cannot affect his playoff path by dropping games. He would only give up money and/or options by doing so.

As far as taking a dive to change the playoff participants -- that's part of the game. More so with the weak, standard scoring system.

thats how i see it. nfl teams play their back up all the time. i think we might take it to a vote and have a reseeding before the playoffs. this is the first year we have used espn.
why would you want to change the seeds? isn't the point of "fantasy" football, to simulate being an nfl gm/owner? Whenever something like this is in question, I always side on mirroring the NFL. Just my 2 cents.Also, for the record, the NFL does reseed after each round of the playoffs though (but the teams seed numbers don't change...i.e. the highest remaining seed plays the lowest remaining seed after each round)

I have no problem with teams fixing their lineups in hopes of getting a certain playoff matchup.

Comparing a fantasy GM to that of a NFL head coach/GM is crazy. Teams sit players to avoid injuries, get healthy. Whether or not a guy is in your fantasy lineup has no effect on whether or not he's going to be healthy.

I have no problem with teams fixing their lineups in hopes of getting a certain playoff matchup.Comparing a fantasy GM to that of a NFL head coach/GM is crazy. Teams sit players to avoid injuries, get healthy. Whether or not a guy is in your fantasy lineup has no effect on whether or not he's going to be healthy.
:thumbup: An NFL team trying to fix its seed is assinine. Even if you try to get the 6 seed instead of 5, because you think you can beat the 3 seed, but not the 4; you're playing the 1 seed the second week anyway. If you get the 4 instead of 3, same problem. If you get the 5 instead of 4, you're giving up HF. When does this make sense?

a) I feel bad for people who let terms be dictated to themb) Have you ever played roll-your-own stud poker? Our rules have the top seed in each playoff round choose their opponent. Hence, one cannot affect his playoff path by dropping games. He would only give up money and/or options by doing so.

As far as taking a dive to change the playoff participants -- that's part of the game. More so with the weak, standard scoring system.
We started this practice last year, letting higher seeds pick their opponents, and it was a great success. Eliminates the problem of throwing games for better seeding and adds one more decision to be made by (some) owners -- an element that almost always makes for a better game.

Users who are viewing this thread