What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trump tax reform! Latest CBO update shows increase in deficit projections of 1T (1 Viewer)

It seems like this is a risky play here, right? Risky with voters but also just risky with the economy- the idea of "supercharging" the economy.
It would be like being adrift on a lifeboat for months and you finally spot a deserted island up ahead.  So you use the rest of your drinking water to take a bath because surely you'll never need it.

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be like being adrift on a lifeboat for months and you finally spot and deserted island up ahead.  So you use the rest of your drinking water to take a bath because surely you'll never need it.
What did I eat this whole time I was adrift? Months is a long time.

No, it's because the tax bill will not cut most Americans' taxes (unless they are super-rich), and it won't boost the economy.  HTH.  Oh, and most people who think this tax bill is good for the majority of Americans are stupid. 
I give you exhibit A
This is what you meant when you said:

That is because the media constantly puts out biased information against the tax bill.
:oldunsure:  

I am happy to entertain proven "biased information from the media" that you are speaking of.  So far, I've heard many expert opinions from many different sources....ranging from "meh" to "this thing is a turd".  Do you have any unbiased sources giving this thing a ringing endorsement?  I'd like to read how they got there....TIA

This is what you meant when you said:

:oldunsure:  

I am happy to entertain proven "biased information from the media" that you are speaking of.  So far, I've heard many expert opinions from many different sources....ranging from "meh" to "this thing is a turd".  Do you have any unbiased sources giving this thing a ringing endorsement?  I'd like to read how they got there....TIA
He doesn’t have any unbiased sources that believe it’s good for most Americans or that it’s good for our economy, because there aren’t any.  The Republicans are becoming the party of Trump;  lie, and ignore the truth when you see it.  Several Rep congressmen, when pointed towards a report showing how bad this bill will be said “I choose not to pay attention to that report.”

A CPA friend of mine suggested prepaying my property taxes this year (typically due in April).  If my mortgage company (Chase) collects money in an escrow account that I add to monthly and pays the taxes on my behalf, how do I accomplish this?

A CPA friend of mine suggested prepaying my property taxes this year (typically due in April).  If my mortgage company (Chase) collects money in an escrow account that I add to monthly and pays the taxes on my behalf, how do I accomplish this?
Look on your country appraisal website, find the amount, then mail it in. Then contact your mortgage company and advise. They should keep the escrow for next year or worst case apply it to the mortgage principal. 

I would think.

Probably should call your mortgage company first to confirm.

Has someone issued a more comprehensive summary of the most recently agreed upon bill that lists brackets, rates, deductions, etc.?  I've only been able to find bits and pieces.

Has someone issued a more comprehensive summary of the most recently agreed upon bill that lists brackets, rates, deductions, etc.?  I've only been able to find bits and pieces.
I haven't found one either, but my favorite thing that came out yesterday was Federal Reserve Chair Janet Yellen talking about how the economic growth effect that would result from the tax overhaul. “It’s not a gigantic increase in growth,”.

Wasn't this an initially big selling point? 

Eta Link. They plan on having the language of the bill out Friday, and voting on it Monday or Tuesday. 

Bits and pieces is all that is out there. I think we will see something tomorrow (just in time to blow up my group’s holiday party tomorrow afternoon, because no time to get away from this insanity is allowed).

More bits and pieces...they really are making it worse:

Congressional Republicans are looking at shortening the duration of tax cuts that their plan would give to families and individuals, a leading lawmaker said Thursday.

That change would free up more revenue for additional changes to their tax overhaul, but it could also heighten complaints that the bill prioritizes cuts for corporations over households.

Under a tax overhaul bill passed by the Senate earlier this month, tax cuts for all American households would expire at the end of 2025. But Republicans are now considering having those tax cuts expire in 2024.
Ya think?

Shortening the tax cuts for individuals and families by one year could free up close to $170 billion, according to estimates from the Joint Committee on Taxation, but it could be seen as a budget gimmick if Republicans promise to extend the tax cuts at a later date.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/gop-consider-plan-to-make-individual-tax-cuts-expire-sooner-shrinking-plans-benefits-for-working-class/2017/12/14/9d83b1ac-e0f2-11e7-89e8-edec16379010_story.html?utm_term=.02608b76f713

Rubio is threatening to vote no unless they expand the child tax credit to cover poor people who pay payroll taxes but not income taxes.

link

Obviously he'll fold, but at least say this for him- his posturing is exposing just how evil this bill and its supporters are.  As the article says:

In their proposed change to the Senate bill, Rubio and Lee sought to fund their credit by slightly shrinking the plan’s proposed cut to corporate tax rate — changing the bill’s proposed rate from 20 percent to 21 percent.

Leading Republicans said they needed to keep the corporate tax rate at 20 percent. But in their talks to reconcile the House and Senate bills, GOP leaders have a tentative agreement to raise the rate to 21 percent — largely to pay for a tax cut to the highest income bracket.
"Sorry, we just don't have any wiggle room to help out poor people with kids."   -the GOP

"What's that, rich people? You want a reduced tax rate on all income over a half-million dollars annually?  Sure, we can make that happen no problem!" -also the GOP

Can anyone explain how removing the individual mandate for ACA will affect ACA and healthcare in general?
I suspect it just accelerates the path Trumpcare is already on.  Let's be honest, only stupid people are allowing this mandate to be collected from their tax returns today.

So here's the update:

1. Marco Rubio is currently against. But "he really wants to get to us." Rubio is pretty weak; he'll fold in the end.

2. Mike Lee is unsure; that means nothing. He'll vote yes.

3. John McCain is very ill. Thad Cochran is also ill. I would bet that they will vote on this though.

4. Corker remains the only solid no.

That leaves Collins and Flake. They could kill this deal at the last second, and there is still the small but certainly possible chance that they might. They don't care much about either Trump or the Republican party leadership.

Conclusion: 90% chance it passes. But that's not 100%.

for the life of me I don't understand the Republican's rabid desire to pass this tax cut that only the rich approve of to prove that they can pass something (even if it's an awful bill that no one approves of)...can any of you imagine you in the jobs that you do doing something that makes no sense and upsets your bosses but you do it anyway just to show that you've done something?  it's mind boggling what the strategy is with the republicans....I can't believe I used to vote with them for years.

for the life of me I don't understand the Republican's rabid desire to pass this tax cut that only the rich approve of to prove that they can pass something (even if it's an awful bill that no one approves of)...can any of you imagine you in the jobs that you do doing something that makes no sense and upsets your bosses but you do it anyway just to show that you've done something?  it's mind boggling what the strategy is with the republicans....I can't believe I used to vote with them for years.
The rich people who approve of this bill fund their campaigns.

The rich people who approve of this bill fund their campaigns.
I get that but they could've constructed a bill that is better for their voters...instead they completely gave corporations and the rich the moon and the stars while they gave their voting base virtually nothing.  I just don't see how they don't understand that and how they don't see or care how public is viewing this bill...

I get that but they could've constructed a bill that is better for their voters...instead they completely gave corporations and the rich the moon and the stars while they gave their voting base virtually nothing.  I just don't see how they don't understand that and how they don't see or care how public is viewing this bill...
Anyone interested in looking critically at pretty much anything has jumped ship already. The folks left on board don’t get any information beyond what the carnival barkers at Fox News tell them.

Republicans also know that they are completely effed in 2018 / 2020 regardless of this bill.

Yeah it's very simple. They aren't even hiding it- some have said that it has to be done or their campaign $$$ go away. 
Yep. I forget which politician said it but it was something along the lines that his donors told him they'd cut bait if he didn't vote for it....so, gotta keep them happy.

Anyone interested in looking critically at pretty much anything has jumped ship already. The folks left on board don’t get any information beyond what the carnival barkers at Fox News tell them.

Republicans also know that they are completely effed in 2018 / 2020 regardless of this bill.
I'm not so sure, many many people are very dug in on which team they support and there is no shortage of media outlets feeding into it.  

America should be so lucky. I remain skeptical. 
Mid-term elections are typically rough on the party that holds the White House, and Trump is historically unpopular. The elections in Virginia, NJ, and Alabama appear the show that a Democratic wave might be imminent. It’s early, but the signs are pretty clear.

Bannon will likely also be a significant factor by continuing to work to defeat centrist Republicans in primaries in favor of unelectable alt-right / far right fringe nuts like Moore.

Mid-term elections are typically rough on the party that holds the White House, and Trump is historically unpopular. The elections in Virginia, NJ, and Alabama appear the show that a Democratic wave might be imminent. It’s early, but the signs are pretty clear.

Bannon will likely also be a significant factor by continuing to work to defeat centrist Republicans in primaries in favor of unelectable alt-right / far right fringe nuts like Moore.
I live in a very Republican town in NJ and Democrats completely swept the ticket...mayor, town counsel positions, school boards...it was completely unprecedented and it didn't just happen in my town but throughout the state and much of the country...2018 is gonna be a blood bath.

Users who are viewing this thread