What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Truecar (1 Viewer)

fred_1_15301

Footballguy
Has anyone ever used Truecar to purchase a vehicle? I got a quote through Truecar that is ~$2,000 less than the quote from my local dealer (which was also a fair price based on Edmunds and KBB)? The only caveat is that the Truecar listed dealer is about a 45 minute drive from my house compared to a 20 minute drive to the local dealer. No big deal for a $2,000 difference. Is there a catch with Truecar? At a minimum, I'm thinking of using the Truecar listed price to negotiate with my local dealer.

I used it as a benchmark and to negotiate with my local dealer. Worked well. It never directed me to a specific dealer.
Thanks. I plan to do that. However, there is a feature where you can register and enter the specific options that you want and it will actually identify a couple dealers who are truecar certified. They will actually send you a certificate with a price and you just take that into the dealer with no hassle or negotiations needed. The certificate I received is $2,000 cheaper than what my local dealer quoted. Seems like there has to be a catch :shrug:

Bring that to your local dealer and I'll bet they match it. Fwiw, I ended up getting my car on the extreme low end of the spectrum. I had to claim some promotions in order to get it that they didn't verify.

Has anyone ever used Truecar to purchase a vehicle? I got a quote through Truecar that is ~$2,000 less than the quote from my local dealer (which was also a fair price based on Edmunds and KBB)? The only caveat is that the Truecar listed dealer is about a 45 minute drive from my house compared to a 20 minute drive to the local dealer. No big deal for a $2,000 difference. Is there a catch with Truecar? At a minimum, I'm thinking of using the Truecar listed price to negotiate with my local dealer.
I do this sort of thing all the time. I'll e-mail and chat with a dealer that's less convenient to see what I can get out of them without pissing them off. Once I find a price point, I basically go to the local place and start negotiations knowing my anchor point. I often end up at the same place, but sometimes you just do better then 2nd time.

The odd thing is that sometimes one dealer just CAN give a much better price. When we bought my wife's RDX, I sent a simple e-mail to a place up north...they e-mailed back a REALLY good price, with no haggling. We went to the local place, and liked them, and basically told the guy that if he can match that price, we'd buy. He had earlier said, "We won't be beat on price by another dealer." Well...he took the offer into his GM's office, came back and said, "We're going to have to pass. We'd lose money at that price." I laughed and said, "We both know that's not true, because if it was then you should buy your cars from XXX dealer instead of Acura, but if that's how you want to be, we'll go buy from them," and left. Walked into the place up north, put down the e-mail, and said, "I want this." Drove in a new car.

I don't know that I'd ever use an on-line place to flat out buy a car, but the numbers there are great guidelines. You just have to know what you want to pay and be willing to walk away to get a good price.

I tried the TrueCar route. Found the car and options I wanted. TrueCar referred me to 3 dealers. I e-mailed each saying was ready to buy at the TrueCar price. 2 of the 3 tried to add the destination charge to the TrueCar price, even though the TrueCar certificate price included the destination charge. The 3rd dealer told me the TrueCar price was just a ballpark, and not a firm price but I could come to the dealership to talk. I used the Costco car buying program and got a price that was within $100 of the TrueCar price so I went with the Costco price, since none of the dealers would honor the TrueCar certificate price. The price ended up being lower than Kbb and Edmunds pricing. I guess your mileage may vary. I found TrueCar good for research in conjuction with KBB and Edmunds, but the best deal I found was through Costco.

Users who are viewing this thread