What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

True Detective: Tom went in to listen to the Cardinals game...in November. Mmmmmhmmmm... (1 Viewer)

Yeah there isn't a single character I like here. The young cop's wife is the worst.

Married a cop.....kid is working to solve a MURDER (which is kind of an important deal and probably won't be something that happens every day in remote Alaska). And he's clearly being groomed to take over as police chief, which would benefit their family. Dude is clearly a stand up guy and doing his best.

But because he came home late a couple of times one week and missed a dinner, she kicks him out.

Women, huh?

Was already on the fence about watching the final two (I just didn't have it in me after the SB last night) and I think I've made my decision to pass. A shame. That's what this is. A damn shame.

It's kind of like the anti-Season 2, if you think about it. Season 2 had a well written and thought out plot ruined by terrible casting, and this season is just the opposite.

I'll watch the finale because I think the acting is top notch, but the story is neither realistic or interesting. But hey, maybe they turn it all around in an epic Empire Strikes Back ice caves of Hoth-like finale! :excited:

It's kind of like the anti-Season 2, if you think about it. Season 2 had a well written and thought out plot ruined by terrible casting, and this season is just the opposite.

I'll watch the finale because I think the acting is top notch, but the story is neither realistic or interesting. But hey, maybe they turn it all around in an epic Empire Strikes Back ice caves of Hoth-like finale! :excited:

I may have to finally watch S2 just to see if it's worse than this.

It is definitely worse.

It is definitely worse.
both s2 and this season feels like a single 30 minute episode of a tv drama expanded to several episodes, so within that context sure it could be worse. i've seen better story development on many many CSI:Your City Here episodes. this one is really really disapponting, the first episode started with such a bang. can one remaining episode redeem this thing?

I have no idea why, but whenever I see Jodie Foster in this she reminds me of pre-Parkinsons Michael J Fox. I think they are about the same height, Jodie's haircut, mannerisms. :shrug: I don't know..I shared my thoughts with my wife during the 1st episode and got the "What did you just say?" face.
Now I can't stop seeing MJ Fox when I watch the show.

I have no idea why, but whenever I see Jodie Foster in this she reminds me of pre-Parkinsons Michael J Fox. I think they are about the same height, Jodie's haircut, mannerisms. :shrug: I don't know..I shared my thoughts with my wife during the 1st episode and got the "What did you just say?" face.
I think of Helen Hunt

I said the same thing to my wife but she somewhat agreed. Definitely in the mannerisms to me.

I think of Helen Hunt
You mean just in general? If we are talking about "Mad About You" era Helen Hunt, I'm right there with you.

I don’t plan to watch the finale. I just don’t care about any of it.
I'll watch it. I'm curious how they are going to wrap it up in an hour and 20 minutes.

I've kind of forgot about the dead scientists and the mystery behind that. It's like the investigative work has been shoved to the side in lieu of evil coal miners, domestic wifey issues and old dudes getting catfished. I'm really hoping the finale takes a deep dive into how a young deputy can survive living in an uninsulated shed during a brutal Alaskan winter.

Sounds like True Detective is probably dead now. As great as S1 was, I think this pretty much kills any cache the name had with audiences.

Sounds like True Detective is probably dead now. As great as S1 was, I think this pretty much kills any cache the name had with audiences.
Same page. I was thinking how crazy it is that HBO has a major hit with season 1. And here we are, literally 10 years after that first season premiered with whatever this has turned into and its only 4 seasons. Cop/bad guy stuff has been written about for like forever and its hard for me to accept that this is the best HBO has come up with. Just an overall shame, I can't believe how bad this season was.

So many story lines that meant absolutely nothing

The ghosts? Just a bunch of weirdo lonely people hallucinating in the dark Alaska country?
The one eyed polar bear? Literally nothing said about anything at all.
The cop that was getting catfished and she never showed up? WTF

Just a real shame they failed so hard on everything for the most part post season 1.

Same page. I was thinking how crazy it is that HBO has a major hit with season 1. And here we are, literally 10 years after that first season premiered with whatever this has turned into and its only 4 seasons. Cop/bad guy stuff has been written about for like forever and its hard for me to accept that this is the best HBO has come up with. Just an overall shame, I can't believe how bad this season was.

The ghosts? Just a bunch of weirdo lonely people hallucinating in the dark Alaska country?

Just a real shame they failed so hard on everything for the most part post season 1.
Again, this was not originally written as a True Detective season. So all of the callbacks were just thrown in as fan service with zero intent of payoff.

Yeah seems like could throw a dart and land on a detective novel to adapt than this crap. It did inspire to rewatch Nolan’s Insomnia. That’s a great freaking movie and in 90ish mins gives you 100x more entertainment and food for thought.

Well, my wife and I planned to watch episodes five and six around 8:00 last night and I fell asleep 15 minutes into episode. We agreed we're going to see it through but man this is a chore.

Please kindly no open spoilers yet.

I'd note that since we had been watching this weekly, I convinced her to try season one so she can see what I was hoping season four would be. It's starkly better but I forgot how creepy it can be for some people. My wife had nightmares after Rust and Marty find Ledouche and the captive kids and it really seems to have messed her up. While she acknowledges it's a great show and way better than four, she's genuinely hesitant to keep going and has asked me if there are similar scenes. I believe we have three episodes left. Does anybody recall whether there are tough kids dying visuals? I don't recall any, but it's been probably seven years since I've watched season one and I'm pretty desensitized to this sort of thing so does anybody recall if there are similar visuals?

Yea, so bad with the open story lines. The premise had so many possibilities to be great, it wasn't told very well at all. In trying to be clever, it wasn't. Having watched the finale, generally, at least I get it.

Yea, so bad with the open story lines. The premise had so many possibilities to be great, it wasn't told very well at all. In trying to be clever, it wasn't. Having watched the finale, generally, at least I get it.

Agreed. I just finished the finale and while I'm glad they finally got back on track with the scientists and the mystery of the facility, there was little to no payoff and build up to that. What was great about S1 was the interrogations and how the various investigations led them to solve the mystery. We felt like they earned it. This had none of that. Just a bunch of episodes in between filled with unnecessary subplots and little correlation to the investigation at hand. They wanted so desperately to make Danvers and Navarro the female Rust and Marty but nope, not even close :poop:

Again, this was not originally written as a True Detective season. So all of the callbacks were just thrown in as fan service with zero intent of payoff.
I get it. Doesn't change the premise of my post. HBO took what appeared to be a great show b/c of its debut season, and somehow they can only come up with 3 more seasons over the course of 9 years, and for the most part, trashed the entire branding of it. Season 3 was good "to a point" but I think we were all kind of hoping most would end the way season 1 did - with some crazy **** going down, finding the bad guys, etc etc. Instead, Season 3 turned into "oh the boy fell on a rock and he died" and Season 4 turned into

***SPOILER ALERT****

"Oh yeah, someone found out about the secret pollution scam, they killed that person, so the locals got together, rounded up the scientists and killed them"

No mentioning of these things:

What even was that spiral thing down in the caves? Sure as hell looked like the body of some dead dinosaur...
The one eye polar bear
What was the "research that could change the world" so much that all the scientists became murderers when their research was smashed?
Prior SR. - he really killed someone b/c he wanted to become police chief?
Prior JR - headshotting your dead instead of a, ya know, body shot to take him down sure seems ....over the top
WTF is the deal with the ghost sightings/voices?

Anyway, done with it. I'll wait until the next one comes out in 2028 and wait for the critics/masses to tell me its good before I go down this road again

Yeah, finished up about as terrible as expected.

Hilarious that they snuck in "Time is a Flat circle" as some sort of pathetic final attempt to connect this trash to S1.

Bad writing, tons of time wasted on unnecessary sub-plots. Dumb ending. Just bad TV.

That being said....Pizzloatto should probably just take the high road and stop publicly trashing it. I get that technically its "your show" but nothing they do will change anyone's thoughts on S1 (which was obviously a masterpiece). Dude is a total one hit wonder who should probably focus on his own failures instead of the failures of others

Hilarious that they snuck in "Time is a Flat circle" as some sort of pathetic final attempt to connect this trash to S1.

Bad writing, tons of time wasted on unnecessary sub-plots. Dumb ending. Just bad TV.

That being said....Pizzloatto should probably just take the high road and stop publicly trashing it. I get that technically its "your show" but nothing they do will change anyone's thoughts on S1 (which was obviously a masterpiece). Dude is a total one hit wonder who should probably focus on his own failures instead of the failures of others

Seriously, they gave him two more tries to recapture the magic and he failed spectacularly. Meanwhile the Night Country season ratings are above season 1's. He only comes across as bitter that someone else did his formula with better results.

Seriously, they gave him two more tries to recapture the magic and he failed spectacularly. Meanwhile the Night Country season ratings are above season 1's. He only comes across as bitter that someone else did his formula with better results.

Probably not an apples to apples comparison when you factor in the presence of HBO MAX now. Maybe Night Country got better ratings, but season 3 was a MUCH better piece of television IMO (and I'm guessing most others feel the same)

Was this better than s2? I'm not really sure. Probably, but its been a while since I watched it (and I have no desire to watch it again). It probably gets knocked down a peg because it so fell so woefully short of S1, but it was objectively bad. Bad casting, bad acting. Just bad all around.

I mean if S2 was a 3 out of 10, MAYBE this was a 4? S1 10/10. S3...maybe a 7 or 7.5?

Watched the finale last night and it seemed like they hired somebody to write the finale after they had only watched the first episode. There were so many storylines from the middle 4 episodes that went nowhere.

Sure the big questions from episode one were answered, but why not just make it a 2.5 to 3 hour movie.

I cringed so hard when he said that 🤦‍♂️

Everybody did.

All the season 1 "Easter eggs" were just painfully ham-handed and added NOTHING to it. Its not like there's ever going to be some all-encompassing story that ties a neat bow around the Tuttle family conspiracy. Nobody's buying the "same universe" nonsense. Even if it was true, the timelines dont seem to work (S1 notes that Rust's dad was dying in 1995. Is the old lady seeing zombie Travis 30 + years later?)

Last edited:

I cringed so hard when he said that 🤦‍♂️

Everybody did.

All the season 1 "Easter eggs" were just painfully ham-handed and added NOTHING to it. Its not like there's ever going to be some all-encompassing story that ties a neat bow around the Tuttle family conspiracy. Nobody's buying the "same universe" nonsense. Even if it was true, the timelines dont seem to work (S1 notes that Rust's dad was dying in 1995. Is the old lady seeing zombie Travis 30 + years later?)
Nope. Navarro allegedly found him on the ice.

I thought it was fine. I mean after a couple of gummies pretty much everything is fine, and in that state of mind I don't seem to have any need for things to make sense so it all worked out. Can't wait for season 5. Hopefully they show that symbol a few extra times to really drive home how important it is to the viewers.

Probably not an apples to apples comparison when you factor in the presence of HBO MAX now. Maybe Night Country got better ratings, but season 3 was a MUCH better piece of television IMO (and I'm guessing most others feel the same)

Was this better than s2? I'm not really sure. Probably, but its been a while since I watched it (and I have no desire to watch it again). It probably gets knocked down a peg because it so fell so woefully short of S1, but it was objectively bad. Bad casting, bad acting. Just bad all around.

I mean if S2 was a 3 out of 10, MAYBE this was a 4? S1 10/10. S3...maybe a 7 or 7.5?

Way worse than S2 IMO

Users who are viewing this thread