What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

True Detective: Tom went in to listen to the Cardinals game...in November. Mmmmmhmmmm... (1 Viewer)

jamny said:
At the bar, why does Cohle say to Maggie "you asked me to lie to you about him"?

It's probably nothing but we never actually see Cohle find the pictures and videotape in Tuttle's house.
She called him to ask him about Marty's womanizing after the blind date.

MattFancy said:
Pizzolatto interview with BuzzFeed: http://www.buzzfeed.com/kateaurthur/true-dectective-finale-season-1-nic-pizzolatto

Kind of spoilerish if you haven't caught up to the newest episode.
Just learned Pizzalato is from LA...makes sense.

Also....' the show has become a Rorschach test for a specific contingent of the audience in which they read their own obsessions into it.'

No way.
He was born in New Orleans, LA... not LA, CA. He went to LSU and his first book was called Galveston. I have a strong feeling he's from the LA/TX gulf coast; makes sense with TD being set in that exact area.

"What do we covet, Clarice?"

Last edited by a moderator:
MattFancy said:
Pizzolatto interview with BuzzFeed: http://www.buzzfeed.com/kateaurthur/true-dectective-finale-season-1-nic-pizzolatto

Also....' the show has become a Rorschach test for a specific contingent of the audience in which they read their own obsessions into it.'

No way.
He was born in New Orleans, LA... not LA, CA. He went to LSU and his first book was called Galveston. I have a strong feeling he's from the LA/TX gulf coast; makes sense with TD being set in that exact area.
You are correct. He's basically poured a lot of his life experience into this play. Which makes me skeptical he'll be able to follow it up with something as good as this season has been. There's a lot of authenticity in this show which stems from his familiarity with the region.

I'm not saying he's incapable of writing something else really, really good, but I am expecting the next season to be some (at least) small step down from this one if he's the only or main writer.

No way Maggie is involved. Just re-watched the scene where they discuss the daughters drawings - neither parent has that conversation if they knew of the abuse.

I think the big reveal will be that it's not just a small cadre of highly placed pervs responsible for the abuses and deaths. There's a big population running the gamut of social status participating in this cult. "Carcosa" encompasses the entire area of the bayou Cohle mapped out as having all those unsolved mysteries and disappearances, with a big part of the inhabitants involved. They may identify Dora Lange's specific killer(s) but in the end it won't stop the whole cycle from repeating.

So how does everyone think this ends?

Do people expect some sort of twist or big reveal?
More drama than a twist.
I agree. i don't see a twist at all. There will be drama, the last 4 episodes have been pretty dramatic, and they are tying up the story. I agree no crazy twist or huge reveal though. Never believed the FIL theory and definitely do not believe Maggie is involved. Reading this thread and hearing people talking about it, i think there are some who do think some big "aha" moment is coming.

I'll probably be very wrong, but I just can't but help to speculate on what will happen at this point. I think Cohle and Hart will die. The show has been pretty deliberate. It sure seemed like Cohle and Marty were coming to terms with their fate in the last episode. I think they go down as heroes, taking down some of the cult. I think there is no "Yellow King" reveal. I don't think the yellow king is an actual person per se, but something mythical that represents the killer cult as a whole. I think Marty and Cohle put a dent into it, but I think it is confirmed to be much deeper than that. keeping up with the "time is a flat circle" theme, the show ends with Papania and Gilbough taking on the role of Marty and Cohle just getting the tip of the iceberg of what is going on. And on goes the battle, with the yellow king living on and Papania and Gilbough begin their voyage to Carcosa.

So how does everyone think this ends?

More drama than a twist.
I agree. i don't see a twist at all. There will be drama, the last 4 episodes have been pretty dramatic, and they are tying up the story. I agree no crazy twist or huge reveal though. Never believed the FIL theory and definitely do not believe Maggie is involved. Reading this thread and hearing people talking about it, i think there are some who do think some big "aha" moment is coming.

I'll probably be very wrong, but I just can't but help to speculate on what will happen at this point. I think Cohle and Hart will die. The show has been pretty deliberate. It sure seemed like Cohle and Marty were coming to terms with their fate in the last episode. I think they go down as heroes, taking down some of the cult. I think there is no "Yellow King" reveal. I don't think the yellow king is an actual person per se, but something mythical that represents the killer cult as a whole. I think Marty and Cohle put a dent into it, but I think it is confirmed to be much deeper than that. keeping up with the "time is a flat circle" theme, the show ends with Papania and Gilbough taking on the role of Marty and Cohle just getting the tip of the iceberg of what is going on. And on goes the battle, with the yellow king living on and Papania and Gilbough begin their voyage to Carcosa.
Interesting. Does anyone have the transcript of Ledeaux talking to Rust?

No way. This isn't a gimmick show. There's no trick. Just more great acting and dialogue. We may or may not have total resolution. But it will be riveting either way.
Agree.

Specific predictions are pointless. But I do think both Hart and Cohle will die.
im guessing whatever happens the fans of this show will NOT be dissapointed (myself included).I`ll be telling everyone i know that they HAVE to buy the DVD series when it comes out.

MattFancy said:

No way.

Born in NOLA, but raised in Lake Charles....probably lots of access to the same types of towns that TD was set in.

MattFancy said:

Just learned Pizzalato is from LA...makes sense.Also....' the show has become a Rorschach test for a specific contingent of the audience in which they read their own obsessions into it.'

No way.

Born in NOLA, but raised in Lake Charles....probably lots of access to the same types of towns that TD was set in.
The first time I read this I thought that you were saying that you were raised in Lake Charles and I was going to apologize. The second time around I got it and now I understand why TD is so ####ed up.

No way. This isn't a gimmick show. There's no trick. Just more great acting and dialogue. We may or may not have total resolution. But it will be riveting either way.
I agree. Still reading some things online and even in this thread about Maggie and/or the FIL being involved. As I said above, the show has been pretty deliberate. I don't think we will learn everything, but feel the ending will be satisfying. So many crime dramas that have these odd twists have people to expect it. I can't explain why else people would expect or theorize that.

Anybody else think it'll be harder to get A-listers for next season than folks might think?

It feels like a near certainty that the best performance and best season of True Detective is happening right now. Following Rush Cohle seems like a tricky proposition. It would take a huge pair of brass balls to be excited to follow that up, or more likely, somebody that really, really needs a hit. Though, I guess that make Ed Norton make some sense.

This season is a perfect mix of the perfect actors and the writers writing them brilliantly. You start getting some writers or other crew members poached, and maybe next year's idea isn't as good.

Not hard to imagine next season's leads getting their names attached to a huge backslide from S1.

I bet we see some much lesser known names for next season (I'd love to see Dylan Baker. His work on Damages was phenomenal).

No doubt TV's becoming a more and more attractive option for movie stars, but I'd think a lot might see another series as a better option.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anybody else think it'll be harder to get A-listers for next season than folks might think?

It feels like a near certainty that the best performance and best season of True Detective is happening right now. Following Rush Cohle seems like a tricky proposition. It would take a huge pair of brass balls to be excited to follow that up, or more likely, somebody that really, really needs a hit. Though, I guess that make Ed Norton make some sense.

This season is a perfect mix of the perfect actors and the writers writing them brilliantly. You start getting some writers or other crew members poached, and maybe next year's idea isn't as good.

Not hard to imagine next season's leads getting their names attached to a huge backslide from S1.

No doubt TV's becoming a more and more attractive option for movie stars, but I'd think a lot of find other series' might be a better option.
I think the lack of a multi-season commitment would appeal to top names. I doubt that many would be intimidated by this season's great performances as long as the script is solid.

I bet we see some much lesser known names for next season (I'd love to see Dylan Baker. His work on Damages was phenomenal).

No doubt TV's becoming a more and more attractive option for movie stars, but I'd think a lot might see another series as a better option.
FYI there's only one writer. Pizzolato does it all solo.

No doubt TV's becoming a more and more attractive option for movie stars, but I'd think a lot of find other series' might be a better option.
I think the lack of a multi-season commitment would appeal to top names. I doubt that many would be intimidated by this season's great performances as long as the script is solid.
I agree. This season + only 8 episode commitment makes this an attractive job

I agree. Still reading some things online and even in this thread about Maggie and/or the FIL being involved. As I said above, the show has been pretty deliberate. I don't think we will learn everything, but feel the ending will be satisfying. So many crime dramas that have these odd twists have people to expect it. I can't explain why else people would expect or theorize that.
The stuff with Hart's daughter is pretty deliberate.

Can't wait for tomorrow night, pretty sure the show is going to end with a bang. I'm almost sure I know the final scene but pumped regardless.

One thing I'd like them to address but may not. Assuming Rust is not crazy and all these other missing woman and children died the same way, but their deaths were ruled accidental drownings etal or their disappearance not questioned et al, why was the woman from episode 1 left out in the open to be easily found for the polices? Of course there is no show without a murder scene and investigation but just curious in why potentially hundreds would be covered up and this one left in the wide open.

Watched last weeks episode while drinking 2 bottles of nice red.

best show since Sopranos

Or I'm drunk
This sounds like a great idea. I've got my first glass down and might just have to do this. I'm not one to smoke but I bet listening to Rust's thoughts on society and religion could be fun if one were so inclined.

Why is everyone so concerned about next year?
To be honest, all I care about is where next year is going to be set...

Maybe nobody knows the answer to this question yet.

I've loved being in Louisiana, but we need to find a different locale.
There was a Pizzolatto interview above somewhere where he mentions the interesting history of corruption in Southern California gov't over the last 40 years.

And that's where he lives now.

The stuff with Hart's daughter is pretty deliberate.
Can you expound on what part you think is deliberate? Care to tell us how the 6 year old daughter was involved (approx age when she made the doll scene)?

Also, I don't think it would be a reach for the FIL to be involved if he was living locally - or maybe just a small one.

Users who are viewing this thread