What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trent Richardson Week 1 Prediction (1 Viewer)

MikeApf

Footballguy
Maybe some Cleveland homers or others could help me out here. What is the buzz on Trent Richardson for this week? I've read that he's getting healthier and that there is "optimism" around him for week one. With that said, is he healthy enough to play? If so, does he get 20+ carries? Or does he go RBBC with Hardesy to ease him in? I think that's my main concern for him from a FFL perspective. It sounds like he'll play, but how much?

Any insights Cleveland homers or others?

I'm a huge Richardson fan. But it's hard for me to believe that a rookie is going to come out and make much of an impact with no preseason, and coming off an a knee surgery.

I'm a huge Richardson fan. But it's hard for me to believe that a rookie is going to come out and make much of an impact with no preseason, and coming off an a knee surgery.
That's what I'm starting to believe as well. Plus, if I'm Cleveland, I may get him in vs. Philly, but I'm definitely mixing Hardesy in as well. Not FFL friendly, but it just makes sense in terms of "real football."I am curious though what is being said locally in Cleveland...

Yeah, I'm really on the edge with this one. I can start him or Michael Bush in my flex this week. Just trying to debate if Richardson can really take a full load. We keep hearing Shurmur state that if Richardson can play, he'll get the start and a full compliment of carries. Granted that doesn't mean soemthing akin to Foster last season doesn't happen. Where they said he was starting, would get a full compliment of carries then he goes out for 10/33/0 in the first quarter and a half and pulls himself out of the game cause his hammy gets tight. T Rich could start, get 5-10 carries and note that his knee doesn't feel 100% after a few and pull himself out. It's a tough situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's what I'm starting to believe as well. Plus, if I'm Cleveland, I may get him in vs. Philly, but I'm definitely mixing Hardesy in as well. Not FFL friendly, but it just makes sense in terms of "real football."I am curious though what is being said locally in Cleveland...
Does it? I don't think those guys are even on the same planet in terms of skill level and the Browns offense is going to be desperate for any way to move the ball. Unless you are thinking they're just indifferent to this one game and thinking big picture.

I doubt there is any danger of him taking himself out. He'd probably run til his leg fell off.

I'm starting him in one league that I own him, sitting him for McGahee in the other. Thinking about putting him in over McGahee.

For what it's worth:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/04/trent-richardson-looks-ready-to-start-sunday/

Trent Richardson looks ready to start Sunday

Posted by Michael David Smith on September 4, 2012, 10:56 AM EDT

AP

Browns running back Trent Richardson is looking ready to play in Cleveland’s opener against the Eagles on Sunday.

Richardson practiced on Monday for the first time since August 6, and he did so without pain in the knee that has had him sidelined since arthroscopic surgery on August 9. Richardson worked with the first-string offense, and afterward Browns coach Pat Shurmur sounded optimistic that Richardson would be the team’s starting running back on Sunday.

“Trent looked healthy running around today,” Shurmur said. “All along, I’ve been hopeful he’ll be there. If he’s ready to go, he’ll be our starter.”

Richardson didn’t talk to reporters after practice but teammates said he looked every bit as good as he did before surgery. From all indications, Richardson will play against the Eagles.

The Eagles were a terrible tackling team last year and if they haven't improved in that area, Richardson will be fantasy relevant in week 1. The biggest issue facing Richardson during week 1 will be Brandon Weeden. If Weeden sucks and the Browns fall behind early then Richardson's touches will be limited in the second half.

not starting him this week since I have options.

coach said he would start the game if ready, but that doesn't necessarily mean a full or even substantial load.

thats going to be a tough defense to run against
yup...tough game to start against with no preseason coming off an injury.
The Eagles D is terrible.
Was.
Still have a clueless co-ordinator running the show?
Have a great d line coach, great secondary coach, and a vastly improved LB corps that has looked great against the run so far. But then again, you probably haven't watched any eagles preseason games/camps.

Actually he said if he starts he's getting the full load. He's been quoted saying that multiple times. If he starts he should be worthy of at least a RB2 start.

At least it's at home in Cleveland. I can sorta picture a mini coming out party at home if they feed him all game. I think it would be a lot worse if this was on the road in Philly. He's got that going for him. Home crowd, home field, his debut. I can picture him getting smothered sure, but then again I can also really picture him doing the exact opposite of what we all expect will happen given the circumstances and just grinding a great opening game out. No way they let Weeden pass too much here.

Actually he said if he starts he's getting the full load. He's been quoted saying that multiple times. If he starts he should be worthy of at least a RB2 start.
I highly doubt it. Do you actually think the GM would allow the coach to throw their rookie RB of the future in full steam ahead without any preseason at all? They aren't going to be super bowl contenders, there is absolutely no reason to rush him back. They should/will ease him into things.

this staff wants every game it can get as they could all be flushed by the new owner if they don't produce. and that includes the GM.

The Eagles were a terrible tackling team last year and if they haven't improved in that area, Richardson will be fantasy relevant in week 1. The biggest issue facing Richardson during week 1 will be Brandon Weeden. If Weeden sucks and the Browns fall behind early then Richardson's touches will be limited in the second half.
why? he's the 3rd down back and will get dumpoffs and garbage time points.

The last time I recall a rookie Rb sitting out all of the preseason games and still starting week 1 with a lot of carries was Carnell Williams. That did not end well.

Caddy was not even recovering from recent surgery like Richardson is. I highly doubt Richardson gets more than 8 carries if he plays at all against the Eagles.

I would be happy to be wrong, but I have a bad feeling about this.

I have other options so Richardson is sitting on my bench this week. I think the kid has talent but that he is is playing on a talentless team. I would not feel comfortable starting him week 1.

The last time I recall a rookie Rb sitting out all of the preseason games and still starting week 1 with a lot of carries was Carnell Williams. That did not end well.Caddy was not even recovering from recent surgery like Richardson is. I highly doubt Richardson gets more than 8 carries if he plays at all against the Eagles.I would be happy to be wrong, but I have a bad feeling about this.
Caddy had a pretty good first 3 weeks though...his shoes were sent to Canton. Seeing as this thread is about week 1 predictions...

Was.
Have a great d line coach, great secondary coach, and a vastly improved LB corps that has looked great against the run so far. But then again, you probably haven't watched any eagles preseason games/camps.
If you are actually putting stock in the pre-season, I can't believe that you are suggesting that the defense is improved. Couldn't get off the field against Pittsburgh's 1's or New England's backups.

The last time I recall a rookie Rb sitting out all of the preseason games and still starting week 1 with a lot of carries was Carnell Williams. That did not end well.Caddy was not even recovering from recent surgery like Richardson is. I highly doubt Richardson gets more than 8 carries if he plays at all against the Eagles.I would be happy to be wrong, but I have a bad feeling about this.
Caddy had a pretty good first 3 weeks though...his shoes were sent to Canton. Seeing as this thread is about week 1 predictions...
Also Caddy broke his leg in college. He came into the NFL with fairly significant durability concerns. So I'd have to say their situations are a bit different.To the other poster, I'm just repeating what the coach has said. Given that this was not an injury, was a minor arthroscopic knee scope, and he has come back to practice without any setbacks and looked great to observers, I think they probably feel 18-20 touches is not running him into the ground.

I'm thinking 15-20 carries, 80-110yds., 1 TD

I would be shocked if any other RB saw significant carries.

He averaged about 2 catches a game while at Bama. Not sure where everyone is coming up with these projections about him being a monster in a pass only come from behind mode. He can certainly catch the ball and projects to be a 3 down player but his best ability to contribute in a meaningful fantasy way is by running the ball and in games that haven't gotten away from the Browns. I would expect him to be around his 2 catch per game average but expecting him to deliver more than that in the passing game is pure fantasy imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
'Please See Mine said:
'Deamon said:
'bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
'Deamon said:
'Banger said:
'VA703 said:
Was.
If you are actually putting stock in the pre-season, I can't believe that you are suggesting that the defense is improved. Couldn't get off the field against Pittsburgh's 1's or New England's backups.
I put limited stock into the pre-season. I saw a LB corps that was MUCH improved.... I saw kendricks look like an animal and ryans starting to get into his groove near the end. I saw a D-line that looked like it had massive potential once reg season comes along. I saw some 3rd down errors, but also a lot of subbing in and out to see where we were at on the d-line and cb roster spots available. Hansen looked suspect on a lot of those 3rd down conversions that went into the slot... boykin looked much better. Hence Hansen is gone. Andy rarely shows much during preseason, especially on d in terms of blitz's and coverages. To say that the eagles D currently sucks is naive... you'll see week 1.

'Area51Inhabitant said:
'Banger said:
'Area51Inhabitant said:
He averaged about 2 catches a game while at Bama. Not sure where everyone is coming up with these projections about him being a monster in a pass only come from behind mode. He can certainly catch the ball and projects to be a 3 down player but his best ability to contribute in a meaningful fantasy way is by running the ball and in games that haven't gotten away from the Browns. I would expect him to be around his 2 catch per game average but expecting him to deliver more than that in the passing game is pure fantasy imo.
I'm not sure his average pass per game for a team that was one of the best in college football and rarely behind is any kind of indicator of how he'll be used in the NFL for the Browns. He's going to be in the game in all situations, he's a good receiever out of the backfield, he'll have a rookie QB that will likely look for easy completions and they will likely be behind in a number of games = good garbage time stats.

'Please See Mine said:
'Deamon said:
'Deamon said:
'Banger said:
'VA703 said:
Was.
I put limited stock into the pre-season. I saw a LB corps that was MUCH improved.... I saw kendricks look like an animal and ryans starting to get into his groove near the end. I saw a D-line that looked like it had massive potential once reg season comes along. I saw some 3rd down errors, but also a lot of subbing in and out to see where we were at on the d-line and cb roster spots available. Hansen looked suspect on a lot of those 3rd down conversions that went into the slot... boykin looked much better. Hence Hansen is gone. Andy rarely shows much during preseason, especially on d in terms of blitz's and coverages. To say that the eagles D currently sucks is naive... you'll see week 1.
They are a good play week1 due to Clevelands inept-ness on O. But the steel curtain they are not

I think the eagle's d alignment scheme makes them susceptible to a smash mouth running attack. Their DEs are so far outside the tackle it's silly. Great for rushing the passer, but a liability against a team that can punch it up inside effectively.

'Area51Inhabitant said:
'Banger said:
'Area51Inhabitant said:
I'm not sure his average pass per game for a team that was one of the best in college football and rarely behind is any kind of indicator of how he'll be used in the NFL for the Browns. He's going to be in the game in all situations, he's a good receiever out of the backfield, he'll have a rookie QB that will likely look for easy completions and they will likely be behind in a number of games = good garbage time stats.
He was always competing with Fowler and Lacy for playing time last year. If you watched the game last weekend you know why.

'Biabreakable said:
The last time I recall a rookie Rb sitting out all of the preseason games and still starting week 1 with a lot of carries was Carnell Williams. That did not end well.

Caddy was not even recovering from recent surgery like Richardson is. I highly doubt Richardson gets more than 8 carries if he plays at all against the Eagles.

I would be happy to be wrong, but I have a bad feeling about this.
It didn't? He ran for 147 yards and 1 TD. The next week? 128 and a TD. The following week? 158 yards. He got hurt in the fourth game after having rushing attempts of 27, 24 and 37, respectively (for a guy who split carries his entire college career), but still ran for 1178 yards and 7 TDs on the season.In any case, that first week certainly ended well for Cadillac.

Trent Richardson - RB - Browns

Beat writer Steve Doerschuk's "best guess" is that Trent Richardson (knee scopes) will get "about 10 carries" in the season opener, but "there still is a chance he won't play at all."

Doerschuk confirms Richardson looked "quick and fast" in Monday's return to practice. If the rookie plays well in his first couple of games, his workload is expected to increase to 15-to-20 carries per game by October. As it's shaping up at mid-week, however, this backfield has no clear-cut fantasy starter for Week 1 versus the Eagles.

The "not playing at all" bit makes me a little leary of this guy. Any Cleveland homers know about his record of accuracy? I always see Mary Kay Cabot connected to Cleveland sports.

TRich owners better go to plan B. It makes sense to ease him into the backfield. Hopefully week 2 he will be a good play.

Beat writer Steve Doerschuk's "best guess" is that Trent Richardson (knee scopes) will get "about 10 carries" in the season opener, but "there still is a chance he won't play at all."

Doerschuk confirms Richardson looked "quick and fast" in Monday's return to practice. If the rookie plays well in his first couple of games, his workload is expected to increase to 15-to-20 carries per game by October. As it's shaping up at mid-week, however, this backfield has no clear-cut fantasy starter for Week 1 versus the Eagles.

The "not playing at all" bit makes me a little leary of this guy. Any Cleveland homers know about his record of accuracy? I always see Mary Kay Cabot connected to Cleveland sports.
IMO a guy is either healthy or he's not. If he's healthy you give him the full load, no 'easing him in' if he's not 100%.

IMO a guy is either healthy or he's not. If he's healthy you give him the full load, no 'easing him in' if he's not 100%.
I couldn't agree more. If he's not healthy enough for a full workload, then he shouldn't be out there until he is. If he is healthy for a full workload and he's your best option and you don't give him one, then you are doing your team (and fans) a disservice.I don't see how it makes any sense for Richardson or the team to "ease him in."

I couldn't agree more. If he's not healthy enough for a full workload, then he shouldn't be out there until he is. If he is healthy for a full workload and he's your best option and you don't give him one, then you are doing your team (and fans) a disservice.I don't see how it makes any sense for Richardson or the team to "ease him in."
He might be healthy enough but not in game shape yet to take the full load.

Users who are viewing this thread