What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Training Camp & Preseason Observations (2 Viewers)

Bengals Camp Report (cbssports.com)

Excerpts:

"We were a better football team when we started back March 29 than the one that ended the season," Bengals coach Marvin Lewis said. "I think we felt we were a stronger team when the offseason began. Now I think we're even better."

March 29 was before Cincinnati added Owens and Bryant and took tight end Jermaine Gresham, who is still not signed, in the first round.

Those three will help liven up a passing game in need of it. It's a passing game that has to improve if the Bengals are to return to the postseason. And I think it will.

Coming off shoulder surgery, Palmer threw for 3,094 yards (6.6 per attempt). The yardage number was the lowest since his rookie season, aside from the 2008 season when in which he played only four games. The per-attempt average was the lowest in any season he started more than 13 games.

That has led to talk that he isn't an elite passer anymore. That's simply not true. The change in style had a big impact on Palmer in 2009.

Last summer, Lewis told me the Bengals would return to their roots, which was to run it and play good defense. They did just that, but it took some late-game heroics to win five of those games, which shows how razor-thin the margin is when you play that style.

Cincinnati finished ninth in rushing last season (128.5 yards per game). The Bengals finished 26th in passing (180.6 yards per game). They ran it 505 times and passed it 477, which is the opposite of the trend in the NFL. There's no way that should happen with Palmer at quarterback.

The move to run the ball more took the ball out of Palmer's hands. The early injury and subsequent death of receiver Chris Henry took away his deep threat. Teams could easily defend the Bengals passing game. Cover Ochocinco, and your defense would be fine.

"Game plans changed again us," Palmer said. "We didn't have the deep threat. Chris didn't catch a ton of balls, but he helped get Chad open. He created holes for Chad because he stretched the defense. Now we got Terrell to do that."

Owens is 36 and the thinking is he can't do that anymore. But he gained 15.5 yards per catch last season in Buffalo and had 10 catches of 25 yards or more. The Bengals had 12 as a team. The per-catch average was better than nine of the top 10 receivers in the league and tied the other (Houston's Andre Johnson).

"He's still explosive," Palmer said. "I don't care how old he is."

Owens, who looked good during the two days I watched him, said he hasn't slowed down much at all. He looked like it on one deep ball when he blew by Pacman Jones, only to see Palmer overthrow him.

"This [situation] puts me in the mind when I went to Philly," Owens said. "They've been knocking on the door. With my help, we can knock the door in."

A lot has been made about how Owens and Ochocinco, two receiving divas for sure, would tear the team apart. They both crave and want the ball, but there's only one in use during a play. In one practice I watched, Ochocinco yelled at Palmer when he didn't get the ball, then showed awful body language the next two plays when it again went somewhere else.

Palmer is used to it. And if any quarterback has the right demeanor to handle those two, Palmer can. He is even-keeled, not caught up in the all the Hollywood stuff, even if he did play his college ball just down the road from all that glitz at USC.

Dolphins Camp Report (USA Today)

Excerpts:

Dolphins quarterback Chad Henne is fully aware that he suddenly has a wide receiver who has the potential to make his job considerably easier.

"Brandon is very smooth as a receiver," Henne says. "He understands how to run the routes and he understands how to use his body. So, overall I mean, you can tell that you got a really good guy out there that can glide and is very smooth throughout his cuts in running the routes."

"His work ethic I think is what I've seen that impressed me the most," Sparano says. "I mean, I know about the physical ability. I understand all that, and he does have great physical ability ... but he's a competitive guy that likes to work.

"You know, you put him out there, he doesn't complain about the reps he takes ... He's not afraid to share."

As for the reception from the fans, Marshall loves it.

"It feels good the way that (they're) welcoming me; it just makes me work harder," he says. "I love the support of the fans and the community, and I'm going to do my best to do right by them."

AROUND DOLPHINS TRAINING CAMP

The scene: Camp is held at the team's regular headquarters, a sprawling complex plopped in the middle of Nova Southeastern University at Davie, Fla. There's a permanent, mini-grandstand alongside the primary practice field, and fans get a great view. But brothers and sisters, it's hot out here. Really, really hot. After all, we're talking south Florida sun and south Florida humidity — in early August, no less.

Reason to believe: The arrival of wide receiver Brandon Marshall gives the Dolphins a newfound opportunity to stretch the field and thus make things easier on running back Ronnie Brown, not to mention quarterback Chad Henne, whom the Dolphins are counting on to have a relative break-out season.

Trouble spot: It's a young secondary, and free safety was particularly troublesome last season. And there's no question that Brown, limited to nine games last season, has been prone to injuries. Dolphins fans no doubt will cross their fingers every time he goes down and stays there for more than a couple of seconds this season. Also, the early-season schedule is challenging, to say the least.

Who's new: Marshall, of course, as well as linebacker Karlos Dansby, who arrived via free agency from the Arizona Cardinals. And just before camp began, former New Orleans Saints defensive end Charles Grant signed a two-year deal.

Positional battle: Players are lining up to see who will be the No. 2 wide receiver alongside Marshall. Brian Hartline, solid last season as a rookie, came to camp as a starter but likely will be pushed by Davone Bess and Greg Camarillo.

On the mend: Defensive end Phillip Merling is recovering from a torn Achilles tendon but began camp as part of the 80-man roster. If he escapes season-ending injured reserve, he won't be able to contribute until late in the season.

Rookie watch: The team's top two draft picks, defensive end Jared Odrick and linebacker Koa Misi, signed their contracts the day before camp began. They'll be counted on to contribute in place of Merling. And the Dolphins third-round pick, guard John Jerry, has impressed coaches enough that he began camp as staring right guard ahead of veteran Richie Incognito.

from the Footballguys.com news page:

Dallas Cowboys RB Marion Barber III, as of right now, will remain the team's starting running back this season, according to Matt Eatman, of DallasCowboys.com.
You mean the Matt Eastman opinion piece that doesn't have a single quote from a coach about Barber being the starter? The one that includes this bit of speculation: In my opinion, enough hasn't occurred for Barber to be replaced, that got picked up by the Rotoworlds of the world as if it were gospel from the Book of Wade?I assume that's not what texasbirdsfan was referring to since he had it coming from the Dallas coaches.
Peter King spends a couple of hours in San Antonio and puts his 2 cents in on who the starter is and does not reference a source. I live breathe, read and listen to sports radio constantly and TV reports here in Dallas and I am telling you much to the talking heads dismay who have a man love for Felix and Tashard that Barber is the starter after coming into camp.

Derrick Mason injured at Ravens' practice

Posted by Michael David Smith on August 3, 2010 11:28 AM ET

Baltimore Ravens No. 1 receiver Derrick Mason had to be helped off the practice field this morning after suffering a leg injury when he was hit by safety Dawan Landry.

Jamison Hensley of the Baltimore Sun reports that Mason couldn't put any weight on his right leg, although Mason himself apparently wasn't too concerned.

"I just twisted it," Mason said on his way into the locker room.

The 36-year-old Mason has missed just six games in his NFL career, and none in the last seven seasons.

QB Tim Tebow broke out for the first time in camp the old "jump pass" made famous during his Heisman days at Florida. It was incomplete.

:thumbup: What a loser.

Camp Confidential: New York Giants (ESPN.com)

Excerpts:

Is former second-round pick Will Beatty ready to take over at left tackle?

Coughlin and general manager Jerry Reese love creating competition and it's going to be interesting to see if David Diehl can hold onto his left tackle spot. The good news for Diehl is that he's going to end up starting on the offensive line no matter what happens in that competition. Coughlin's going to do whatever's best for the team, and I think that will ultimately be Beatty at left tackle and Diehl at left guard. Beatty, a second-year player, has shown a lot of quickness in the first three practices of training camp.

It won't be a completely smooth transition, but I believe he has the athletic ability and size to succeed at left tackle. The Giants have had a lot of continuity along the offensive line, but that won't keep Coughlin from pulling the trigger on a move. In talking to Reese, I get the feeling he's enjoying this competition quite a bit.

Can the Giants re-establish the running game?

Of all the things that went wrong last season, the lack of a consistent running game might have been the thing that disappointed Coughlin the most.

The Giants went from the No. 1 rushing team in the league in '08 to a No. 17 ranking in '09. They averaged almost a full yard less per carry in '09, which put too much pressure on Eli Manning and the passing game.

Tiki Barber told me early last season that he'd advised Brandon Jacobs to learn how to protect his body more on runs. It may have been solid advice, but Jacobs appeared tentative in '09 and began to doubt himself as the season unfolded. If he looks tentative early in this season, I believe a healthy Ahmad Bradshaw will be prepared to take over as the featured back.

I've been impressed with how quick and decisive he's looked in camp. And Andre Brown appears to have regained his speed after missing last season with a ruptured Achilles' tendon. Brown should be a good change-of-pace back and he has soft hands that could make him a decent option on third down.

I've given up trying to cut Sinorice Moss. I already have him on my 2013 projected Giants roster. It's crowded at receiver again, but the little guy won't go away. And he had a really nice day Monday.

If Ramses Barden ever finds a way to take his practices to the games, the Giants will have a remarkable weapon in the red zone. Manning told me Monday that Barden has won him over. He has some Plaxico Burress-like tendencies -- and I'm talking about the good tendencies. Even when he's covered, Barden has a knack for making catches. He's just an enormous target.

I know Steve Smith had a breakout season, but Hakeem Nicks looks like a No. 1 wide receiver to me. I thought it was telling that he was the one receiver whom Manning asked to join him at the Manning Passing Academy. Those two are putting on a show early in camp.

Camp Confidential: San Diego Chargers (ESPN.com)

Excerpts:

Do the Chargers have enough depth to prepare effectively without their veteran holdouts? It is only the first week, but there appears to be little doubt San Diego will leave training camp feeling good about the positions where players are holding out.

The key is San Diego’s tremendous depth. Chargers general manager A.J. Smith may get some grief for not giving in and signing the holdout veterans, but he also has his team in position to survive the losses. San Diego is deep at many key positions. Smith has been careful to mix proven veteran talent with intriguing young prospects.

Last year, the Chargers lost defensive tackle Jamal Williams for the entire season and center Nick Hardwick for virtually the entire regular season in Week 1. The Chargers plugged in people and went 13-3 in the regular season.

“We’ve been through this before in a lot of ways,” Turner said. “We feel good with the young players here.”

Jackson is being replaced by Legedu Naanee and Buster Davis, both of whom are having terrific camps. McNeill is being replaced by Brandyn Dombrowski. He was a valuable injury replacement at guard and right tackle last season. There is also veteran Tra Thomas, who can help as well. Merriman is being replaced by 2009 first-round pick Larry English, who was drafted to replace Merriman in case he departed through free agency. English appears to have made great strides this offseason after a lackluster rookie season.

Will Ryan Mathews be up for the challenge of replacing a legend? This is a landmark time in Chargers history. The team is moving away from the LaDainian Tomlinson era. He was cut in February after nine seasons in San Diego. Tomlinson had a Hall of Fame career, but he faltered the past two seasons.

While Tomlinson is still a respected figure in San Diego, it is clear that the Chargers are relieved to move on and help ignite the run game, which ranked No. 31 in the NFL last season.

It’s Mathews’ job in training camp to make the team feel comfortable that he is up to the task of bringing balance back to San Diego’s offense. Mathews was the No. 12 overall pick and people in the organization have been raving about him.

“He does not seem affected by having to replace LaDainian,” Rivers said. “He’s very humble and very confident. It doesn’t seem too big for him. We expect a very productive training camp from him.”

Quietly, many in San Diego think the offensive line is ready for a big season. The unit may be motivated by critical comments made by Tomlinson. Among his many excuses for his dramatic lack of production last season was the offensive line play. The line isn’t saying anything about it, but the word is this group is very inspired.

Turner is excited to have veteran tight end Randy McMichael. The two were together in Miami in 2002-03 and Turner thinks the veteran can help. Known as a good receiver, McMichael is an underrated blocker, Turner said. The Chargers are also high on backup tight end Kris Wilson.

Undrafted rookie receiver Jeremy Williams from Tulane has had a good early camp and is the favorite to be the No. 5 receiver.

While losing Rivers would be devastating, the Chargers have one of the best backups in the NFL in Billy Volek. The guy is a pro and has looked sharp.

Expect big fullback Mike Tolbert to give San Diego a boost in the short-yardage game. The 5-foot-9, 243-pound Tolbert is a load.

The Chargers were thrilled with the play of right guard Louis Vasquez last season as a rookie. The word is Vasquez is continuing to make strides and the Chargers think they have a real find.

Postcard from camp: Bills (SI.com)

Three Observations

1. Buffalo's secondary is second to none.

The Bills' back four was devastated by injury last season -- the current projected starters, cornerbacks Terrence McGee and Leodis McKelvin and safeties Jairus Byrd and Donte Whitner combined to miss 26 games in '09 -- but the team still finished second in the league in pass defense, yielding just 184.2 yards per game. Now everyone's back, and everyone is relatively healthy, and that ranking might even improve. "I haven't watched every secondary in the NFL -- I've watched a lot of them, not all of them," replied Gailey, when asked if he felt his unit was the league's finest. "But I know one thing: they're a great strength of our team."

The group's star is probably now Byrd, the second-year man out of Oregon. Byrd gained some attention as a rookie by finishing tied for first with nine interceptions (in 14 games played), and perhaps even more when the AP held a re-vote for the Defensive Rookie of the Year award after winner Brian Cushing, the Texans linebacker, was revealed to have tested positive for PED's. Cushing won again, and Byrd again finished second. "It didn't really bother me," says Byrd, the son of 10-year NFL corner and current Bears assistant defensive backs coach Gill Byrd. "I was just going about my business. If something's not yours, you can't really get upset or bent out of shape. He had a great season, so there's nothing I can really say about that."

2. T.O. is gone, but there are plenty in camp who hope to replace him.

Lee Evans, after a season as Terrell Owens' sidekick in which he registered a career-low 44 catches for 612 yards, is again the Buffalo attack's top wideout. As for number 2? Take your pick. The Bills' training camp roster currently features no fewer than 10 wide receivers, and it seemed as if a different one was making a catch on every play the offense ran on Monday. Standouts included David Nelson, the 6'5" undrafted rookie out of Florida who was sometimes lost in the shuffle of the Gators' Tim Tebow-led offense; James Hardy, also 6'5", a second round pick in '08 who is returning from a torn ACL; and Chad Jackson, who has been a disappointment ever since the Patriots selected him 36th overall out of Florida in 2006.

The current favorite to win the No. 2 job, however, is Steve Johnson -- or, as he is also known, Stevie Styles, but more on that in a moment. Johnson has just 12 catches in two NFL seasons, and one of the last things that he did that most might remember was catching a last-minute, game-winning, 57-yard touchdown against Louisville that gave Kentucky its first win over a Top-10 team in three decades, back in 2007. (It's an event that he says he hasn't brought up to current teammates and Louisville alums Brian Brohm and Eric Wood -- "I'm pretty sure they know what's up, but I don't go over there and be like, yo, you remember that catch?" he says.)

Now, though, Johnson is primed to make an NFL impact. "When I got here last year, I thought Steve was one of the most impressive receivers we had on the team," says backup quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick. "Just smooth -- that's probably the only way you can describe him. Smooth. Getting off the jam, running his routes. He's a guy that's going to get a shot this year, and he knows it."

3. The offensive line remains a major concern.

It won't matter who ends up starting across from Evans -- or at any of the other skill positions, for that matter -- if the offensive line doesn't improve, and improve markedly, from last season. The line in '09 allowed 103 quarterback hits (the second most in the league) and 46 sacks (tied for fourth most), and was perhaps the central reason quarterback Trent Edwards -- who is in line to open 2010 as the starter -- spent most of his third season either ineffective, injured or on the bench, and why Owens only made 55 catches, and why the offense was, as a whole, the NFL's third least-productive.

The Bills, somewhat inexplicably, cut their line's anchor, left tackle Langston Walker, at the end of last summer's training camp, and they suffered for it. Unless this year's line -- which should feature second-year players Eric Wood and Andy Levitre at guard, unproven Demetrius Bell at left tackle and veterans Geoff Hangartner and Cornell Green at center and right tackle, respectively -- significantly outperforms expectations, it should be more of the same for the offense, even with a new offensively-minded coach in Gailey.

Rookie Report

C.J. Spiller, running back. Buffalo made the burner from Clemson the first running back to be taken in this year's draft (ninth overall) -- a move that surprised some, in that the Bills already had two very good tailbacks on the roster in Fred Jackson and Marshawn Lynch. As of Monday, Spiller was not in camp yet -- he was one of three first rounders (along with Detroit's Ndamukong Suh and Seattle's Russell Okung) who had yet to sign a contract. But when he arrives, and it should be soon, Gailey will have to find a way to get him the ball.

That will be a difference for the coach, who in his previous NFL stops has liked to rely on a single workhorse, such as with Emmitt Smith in Dallas, Lamar Smith in Miami and Larry Johnson in Kansas City. "I gotta change," Gailey says. "That has been one of my things that I have done in the past, but with three guys, if it turns out to be three guys, we've got to find a way to use all of them."

Jackson, a 1,062 yard rusher a year ago, should be the starter, but insists he's fine with sharing, to a point. "I'll be interesting," he says. "I think that all of us are going to touch the ball. But as long as I can go in and start the game and get us rolling, and those two come in whenever they're asked to and make plays for us, I think we'll do pretty good for ourselves."

Roscoe Parrish, now in his sixth season in Buffalo, will be far more of a factor than he was last year, when he totaled just three catches for 34 yards for former head coach **** Jauron. "He obviously has unbelievable quickness and speed," says an excited Gailey. "I mean, in the top echelon of the league. And it's incumbent on us to make sure that he touches the ball and is involved in the offense, and all that kind of stuff."

That Marshawn Lynch is still here is something of a surprise, given the presence of Fred Jackson and the drafting of Spiller. Lynch, who just two years ago seemed on the verge of becoming one of the league's top backs, will now likely play a complementary role, if he sticks around -- but he's saying all the right things, even if he's not saying very many of them.

He produced what was probably the easiest transcription job ever tackled by an NFL P.R. intern in a meeting with the media on Sunday. In responding to a question about whether he is receiving enough reps in practice, he said, simply, "I'm sweating." He also on Monday exhibited an interesting taste in t-shirts. "FIVE DOLLAR FOOT LONG," his shirt read, leading one to think he has a particular fondness for Subway until one noticed that printed below the words was a downward-pointing arrow. Oh.

It is going to be a difficult task for the Bills to start any better this season, as they face four of what should be the NFL's very best teams -- the Packers, Patriots, Jets and Ravens -- in their first six games. A win in any of those seems highly unlikely, and that should set the stage for a season in which the only thing Bills fans will be talking about will be where, exactly, among the league's bottom six teams their beloved team ranks.

bumping the best thread going right now.

would like to hear anything about these battles

Houston RB

Raiders WR1

Eagles RB rotation

Saints RB rotation

Colts RB rotation

Arizona QB

Chargers WR

NE TE

NE RB

bumping the best thread going right now.

would like to hear anything about these battles

Houston RB

Raiders WR1

Eagles RB rotation

Saints RB rotation

Colts RB rotation

Arizona QB

Chargers WR

NE TE

NE RB
what battle? Things are largely the same as last year. Reggie's healthy but isn't expected to have his workload changed any. Hamilton is expected to take over short yardage duties. Pierre is in camp and playing for a long-term contract, which may (or may not) happen in the coming weeks according to his people.

Choke said:
Clifford said:
Houston RB
On July 31st Coach Kubiak said Arian Foster is mature beyond his years and that it would be difficult to unseat him as the starting running back.
Thanks Choke. Last I heard they were all getting equal reps. Considering Kubiak learned at the right hand of Shanahanigans, any indication that this could be a :goodposting: , or does he generally mean what he says?

Camp Confidential: Arizona Cardinals (ESPN.com)

Excerpts:

What's up with Matt Leinart? Let's take a listen to Whisenhunt: "You see it in his body language, you see how he handles himself in the huddle and then you also see it in the confidence when he takes a step and he throws the football, or even when he makes the checks in the run game. There is not the hesitation that there used to be." If you think that quote reflects renewed confidence in Leinart heading into the 2010 season, you'd be wrong. That's what Whisenhunt said about Leinart in training camp two years ago, before the Cardinals switched to Warner and won back-to-back division titles.

What's he saying now? Whisenhunt dismisses Leinart's shaky 2009 performance against Green Bay in Week 17 as a product of unusual circumstances (the Cardinals watered down their game plan with an eye toward playing the Packers in the wild-card round). He points to Leinart's performance against the Tennessee Titans last season -- 21 of 31 passing for 220 yards and an 88.1 rating -- as evidence the quarterback knows the offense well enough to succeed even without getting practice reps (Warner was scratched from the lineup shortly before kickoff). For that reason, Leinart will not get extra playing time during the upcoming preseason. Whisenhunt doesn't think it's necessary.

"I feel like there's a hurdle you have to cross as a young quarterback where no matter what situation you're thrown into, you have to perform," Whisenhunt said. "He is at a point with our offense where he is comfortable and he may not get the reps."

Leinart has four seasons in Whisenhunt's offense. He's playing for a new contract, backed by two productive running backs and one of the NFL's elite receivers in Larry Fitzgerald. Leinart will never be Warner, but he will not have to be. He'll be leading a re-made offense with increased emphasis on the running game. I'm not entirely sold. Leinart has much to prove.

"The last two years, I've learned really how to prepare mentally and studying and all that," Leinart said. "I finally get to take that to the field every single day and get the reps and make mistakes, but come back and learn from them. I worked extremely hard just to get to this point."

Fitzgerald's capacity for self-motivation borders on the ridiculous, but it works for him. "I'm getting older. The window of opportunity is closing. I was sitting around talking to Cris Carter this offseason and it seems like seven years has gone by so fast. The hourglass is turned over on me now. The sand is going down and my career is on the downward side now. I have to really pick it up and try to help this team get a playoff win and win a Super Bowl."

Beanie Wells benefited from his first full offseason in the NFL. Graduation rules at Ohio State prevented him from joining the team until mid-June last offseason. Wells then reported to training camp slightly late and immediately suffered an injury. He appears much better prepared for the upcoming season. Wells is still fine-tuning some aspects of his pass-protection skills. He catches the ball well, though, and his running will set him apart this season. The versatile Tim Hightower remains the starter early in camp and Wells will have to beat him out. I expect that to happen.

The Cardinals ran more four-receiver personnel groups than any team in the league last season. I noticed one four-wide play in five practices and that was with backups playing receiver. Teams tend to focus on base packages early in camp. That could partially explain the proliferation of two-receiver personnel groups. Still, the offense appears different from last season and that will carry over into the regular season.

Camp Confidential: Jacksonville Jaguars (ESPN.com)

Excerpts:

Is there enough weaponry to go with Jones-Drew and Mike Sims-Walker? Jones-Drew is a top-flight weapon taking handoffs or running under short passes and Sims-Walker did well establishing himself as a go-to guy for David Garrard. But beyond them, do the Jaguars have the playmakers to take the next step?

They certainly have a large pool of candidates. Marcedes Lewis averaged 16.2 yards per catch last season, the best number in the league for a tight end, and another tight end, Zach Miller, is a potential big-play option.

Troy Williamson hasn’t created buzz yet as he did last camp, but I still think they’d like him to secure the starting role opposite Sims-Walker because of his field-stretching speed. The three receivers from the 2009 draft -- Mike Thomas, Jarett Dillard and Tiquan Underwood -- are an intriguing pool. I anticipate Thomas can really grow into a nifty slot option.

They also like sixth-round pick Deji Karim from Southern Illinois, a quick back who could earn some touches and can win the kick return job. He’ll probably have to get past Rashad Jennings to be a factor on offense, and I feel like they still like Jennings plenty too.

Baltimore Ravens Camp Report (USA Today)

Excerpts:

Reason to believe: After throwing for 3,613 yards and 21 touchdowns last season to relative unknowns besides Derrick Mason, QB Joe Flacco has physical Pro Bowler Anquan Boldin and speedy Donte' Stallworth at his disposal.

Trouble spot: The Ravens are prepared to start the season without safety Ed Reed (hip surgery), but it will be interesting to see what reception he gets upon returning given recent comments critical of the team.

Who's new: Backup QB Marc Bulger arrives after nine seasons in St. Louis, where he set several franchise passing records and made two Pro Bowls.

Positional battle: Granted, the reward is backing up veteran TE Todd Heap, but the varied talents that Ed Dickson and Michael Pitta bring should make this competition interesting to watch.

On the mend: If he starts the regular season on the PUP list, Reed could miss anywhere from six games to as many as 10, but he vows to return this season from offseason hip surgery.

Rookie watch: Now that NT Terrence Cody has passed his physical, his next step is proving he can back up veteran Kelly Gregg.

Postcards from camp: Packers (SI.com)

Excerpts:

I haven't done an exhaustive research project, but historically, the statistical standing of a Dom Capers-coordinated defense has slipped in year two of his tenure. That's somewhat surprising because you'd figure a second season in his trademark 3-4 defense would be more comfortable and familiar for everyone involved, and thus more successful. Especially when a team has made the transition from a 4-3 alignment, as the Packers did last season.

But the trend may hold again this year, if only because the Packers defense, after a rough first half of 2009, finished so high in the defensive rankings last year: No. 2 in overall defense and No. 1 against the run, after being 20th and 26th in those categories in 2008. There may be nowhere to go but down. Capers' defense led the NFL with 40 takeaways and 30 interceptions, scoring a league-high 141 points off takeaways (tied with the Super Bowl champion Saints), and cornerback Charles Woodson was named the league's defensive player of the year.

Maybe the stats aren't as glowing this year, but the Packers defense will still be formidable. The loss of valuable lane-clogging defensive lineman Johnny Jolly to an indefinite league suspension is significant. But Green Bay is shifting the versatile Ryan Pickett from tackle to end, and I love the run-stuffing potential of a three-man front consisting of Pickett, happy with his new contract and slimmed down to about 320 from last year's 340 pounds, emerging second-year nose tackle B.J. Raji (337) and the underrated Cullen Jenkins (305). That's not going to be an easy wall to run against, and that's where the strength of Green Bay's defense will lie.

Aaron Rodgers tells anyone who will listen that Packers third-year tight end Jermichael Finley has barely scratched the surface of what he can accomplish in the Green Bay passing game. Despite missing three games last season due to a midseason knee injury, Finley's second NFL season was impressive: 55 catches for 676 yards and five touchdowns, and then a monster game in the playoffs at Arizona (six catches for 159 yards, the second-most yards ever by a tight end in the postseason, only seven fewer than Kellen Winslow's epic game at Miami in January 1982).

But in a display of candor on Tuesday in the Packers' locker room, Finley told me there was a lot more he could have done last season. "It's about taking advantage of every play,'' he said. "Last year I took some plays off every once in a while. People on the outside probably couldn't tell, but for myself, I know I took some plays off that I could have taken advantage of. It's being young. But I've matured a lot over these months we've been off.''

I like the honesty. Look for Finley to take another sizable step in his development as one of the game's impact tight ends.

New Face, New Place

The Packers don't really do free agency, so the new face in this case belongs to first-round pick Bryan Bulaga, the Iowa offensive tackle who somewhat surprisingly was still on the board when Green Bay's No. 23 pick came around. Bulaga might have slid out of the top 10, but he landed in a very comfortable place, because the Packers can afford to ease him into high-profile left tackle slot over time rather than from day one.

Last year at this time Green Bay thought it had enough manpower at tackle to get the job done, but of course it didn't. Rodgers almost got killed in the season's first half, but things got markedly better up front when left tackle Chad Clifton returned to the lineup after an early season ankle injury and the Packers re-signed veteran right tackle Mark Tauscher. Bulaga's job this season is to fill the swing-tackle role backing up both of those 11-year vets, while learning his craft well enough to eventually replace Clifton.

That's a relatively low-pressure role that should afford him time to toughen up his body a bit and learn NFL blocking techniques, rather than see him thrown into the fire from the very start like higher drafted left offensive tackles such as Trent Williams in Washington and Russell Okung in Seattle.

Rookie Report

With veteran safety Atari Bigby still on the team's physically unable to perform list and having visited a North Carolina ankle specialist on Tuesday, rookie third-round safety Morgan Burnett has benefited greatly from the extra practice reps and is quickly emerging as a potential starting replacement for Bigby. The Packers have thrown everything at him, and so far he hasn't flinched.

McCarthy told me Burnett has been "clearly the most impressive rookie so far in the camp'' and that he's on track to line up against Cleveland in the team's preseason opener if he puts together another impressive week of practice. Burnett also had the advantage of working with the first-team defense in the team's offseason workouts after being drafted out of Georgia Tech, while Bigby didn't attend Green Bay's program at all because he was seeking a long-term contract and did not sign his one-year tender until last week.

Bigby's problem left ankle caused him to fail the Packers' physical at the start of camp, and it's an issue that he has battled on again and off again since the 2008 preseason. Bigby better not linger long on the sidelines, because the Packers are high on Burnett's potential and his starting candidacy is a train that leaves the station a little more each passing day.

To repeat myself from earlier this offseason, I think Packers quarterback Rodgers is in for another monster season. McCarthy agrees. "He's just so consistent,'' McCarthy said. "He's a talented and a tough guy, and he's always on an even keel. I think it's his time. We've got to keep him healthy, but this is his time.''

Last edited by a moderator:
Postcard from camp: Cardinals (SI.com)

Excerpts:

Three Observations

1. The Cardinals run an extremely physical camp. Squaring-up or touching-up -- which is customary in most camps -- was not good enough. Players were hitting each other as if a game were on the line. That resulted in at least four fights or scrums. Pro Bowl safety Adrian Wilson attributed the increased intensity to the arrival of linebacker Joey Porter and guard Alan Faneca, free-agents who grew up in the Steelers' attacking schemes. Everyone seems to be feeding off the intensity, particularly defensive tackle Darnell Dockett, who has looked dominant at times. Porter went so far as to curse-out second-year linebacker Cody Brown in the middle of the field when Brown allowed tight end Stephen Spach to pull him around by the facemask after the two faced off.

Porter's message: "Don't accept anything from anybody, even your teammates. I don't care if he grabbed your face mask or did something dirty. Let him know that is not acceptable. You can handle it right there on the field and get it over within 30 seconds and come back in the locker room and all be on the same page. But you let anybody get away with something once, they are going to do it all the time."

2. QB Matt Leinart is in no danger of losing the starting job to newcomer Derek Anderson. There has been a lot of handwringing among Cardinals fans about how Leinart will fare following the retirement of Kurt Warner, but the 2006 first-round pick has outperformed Anderson and will have to fall on his face to be pulled from the lineup. That's not going to happen. Coaches and teammates say Leinart had a good offseason and has picked up where he left off.

"To be honest with you, Matt has really jumped out at me," said Wilson. "He's been a much more vocal leader. He wasn't like that in the past. The quarterback position is the head position; everybody looks up to it. Matt wasn't just thrown in that spot, he had to wait a while. I think he's really matured and it's showing. If he misses on a ball, he knows it's his fault and not the receiver's fault. That's just something he has really grown into."

Leinart is even showing some of his Heisman-like swagger. During practice Monday he threw a skinny post to Larry Fitzgerald that left the receiver exposed to a potentially devastating hit from Wilson, who was the deep safety. Wilson pulled off and allowed Fitzgerald to make the catch and proceed downfield. When the offense and defense changed sides of the field after the drill was over, Leinart stopped Wilson and said: "I know you could have killed him. But I've been dropping bombs on y'alls ### all day."

"To me that says that he's competing and wants to get better and he wants to win," said Wilson, chuckling. "He's definitely confident in his ability, and we're behind him. That's one thing he really needs to understand. We're behind him 100 percent."

3. There will be greater balance to the offense. Warner was most comfortable in spread formations and empty backfields, but Whisenhunt is expected to be more traditional early in the season until Leinart shows he can handle having games in his hands. Look for the running game to excel behind a reconfigured line. Second-year pro Beanie Wells says he expects to at least double his rookie stats of 793 yards and seven touchdowns, and third-year back Tim Hightower is determined not to give up his job after starting 23 of 32 games in his career.

"In the past we've predominately been a throwing team," said right guard Reggie Wells. "That was successful for us. But I think you take it personal as a linemen when you hear someone say you can't run the ball. We know what we can do, and we do understand that with a quarterback who hasn't been under center for a while we may be able to run the ball more. And we're getting after it right now."

The battle to start opposite cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie is critical to the defense's success. DRC, as he is own, is one of the game's better cover corners and has the physical skills to one day be in the conversation for "best at the position" -- and will be in the conversation if he gets his mental game to match his physical skills. That means teams will likely throw away from him. Toler has the skill to be a solid starter but needs to be more consistent and focused. He ran with the first team in OTAs, but is being forced to compete with McBride for the job. He's the front-runner, but defensive coordinator Bill Davis isn't going to hand him the position.

The offensive line has been reconfigured from a year ago, with Brown moving from right tackle to left tackle (to replace the departed Wayne Gandy), Faneca moving in at left guard, Wells at right guard and Brandon Keith at right tackle. The only player returning to the position he played in 2009 is center Lyle Sendlein. There were questions about how Keith would hold up, but thus far the third-year pro has looked solid. If he comes through, this could be a formidable unit.

There continue to be questions outside the team about how Warner's departure will affect Fitzgerald, but there are no doubts within the team. Leinart and Whisenhunt both contend Fitzgerald will get plenty of touches, if not more than he has in the past. The departure of Anquan Boldin (traded to Baltimore) and the expected emergence of the running game should create more looks for Fitzgerald. "Obviously a guy like that, you're going to get the ball," Leinart said. "We've got a lot of weapons. It's my job to facilitate and get the ball out."

Postcard from camp: Falcons (SI.com)

Excerpts:

Three Observations

1. Not that No. 3 quarterback John Parker Wilson is competing for the starting job, but I could see the Alabama grad pressing Chris Redman for the backup position sometime soon. Wilson throws a tight spiral and is accurate, from watching him during the morning practice. He threw a perfect 18-yard strike over the middle to wideout Brandyn Harvey that made the crowd go, "Oooooh.''

2. This team's in trouble if Michael Turner can't stay healthy, because the Falcons don't have another power back with some moves like the rock-solid, 244-pound Turner. And offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey wants to be a 45 percent run team (at least), to keep the pressure off Matt Ryan.

3. Might be the end of the line for Brian Finneran, who has fought through so many injuries -- inspirationally -- to still be competing for one of the receiving spots at 34. But the fifth-round pick from Kansas -- 6-foot-3, 220-pound wideout Kerry Meier -- could nudge Finneran out of a job.

Memorable Image

Tony Gonzalez, at 34 looking like he's 27. "I'm an old man,'' Gonzalez said after practice, struggling to stand after sitting on a bleacher outside the locker room for a couple of minutes. Funny -- he doesn't look like one on the field. Gonzalez didn't take plays off (that I saw anyway) in the morning session, and looks fluid and lithe. Something the coaches have been impressed with in his 15 months as a Falcon is his blocking, which has never been his forte. Interesting: Gonzalez ended last year with 999 catches, which I'm told ticked him off as he went into the offseason (because he felt you never know what might happen in the offseason). Wouldn't be surprised if Ryan's first throw of the season Sept. 12 is to Gonzalez.

Harry Douglas, drafted to be the Falcons' slot man in the third round of the 2008 draft, missed last year with a knee injury but looks back to his rookie self. He's got to give Ryan the intermediate target a classic slot man gives a passer; it's a vital part of Mularkey's offense.

The more I watch the game, the more I think how valuable good assistant coaches like Atlanta receivers coach Terry Robiskie are. It's hard at a diva position to make really good athletes and players better, but Robiskie has done it everywhere he's coached. He's doing it here with White, who is practicing this year harder than he did before he got paid big money last year. That's, in part, the Robiskie influence.

Well, looks like I am a couple of preseason strong performances away from being able to drop Anderson in my 2qb dynasty league.

Saw this in comments on Browns camp reports

- Our running backs look good. Davis looks like he is gonna be a beast with the way he burst through the holes and Jennings looks like a solid power runner. In some drill he stiffed armed the ##### out of one of our defenders. (Abe Elam seems to come to mind). Harrison didn’t disappoint or impress.

The Ravens' lunch menu included a salad bar, a deli bar, pasta and sauces, meatballs, roasted vegetables, grilled chicken and the state's best fruit and yogurt smoothie bar.
Update:
3:01 pm The Ravens' lunch menu included a salad bar, a deli bar, pasta and sauces, BBQ beef, fries, pit ham, meatballs, fried cod and the state's best fresh fruit and yogurt smoothie bar.

Postcard from camp: Titans (SI.com)

Excerpts:

Three Observations

1. Chris Johnson is in the building. When he wasn't shaking his dreadlocked mane on the sideline, he was flashing his trademark burst on the field. What a relief it must be for the Titans to have Johnson back in the fold after the third-year pro skipped offseason workouts because of a contract dispute. The matter was resolved when the Titans gave Johnson a $1.25 million raise for 2010 last month, but Johnson has since said he isn't satisfied with the fix. One of the ways the Titans hope to keep him happy is by keeping him busy. Before camp, Johnson, who tallied an NFL record 2,509 yards from scrimmage in '09, set a goal of rushing for 2,500 yards this season. A heavier workload at least would allow Johnson (who also carried a league-high 358 times last year) the chance for a payoff there -- and perhaps an even bigger one down the road.

2. Kenny Britt is on the rebound. He had a horrible offseason, falling out of shape and courting bad press in two run-ins with the law -- one incident true (he was arrested for outstanding traffic warrants totaling $865), the other not so much (he was accused of posting a $165,000 bond to bail a childhood friend accused of murder). Then on top of that came a knee injury that made him look so ineffective in the spring that his frustrated coaches shut him down. The benching so bruised his confidence that he started to drop passes, causing him to cede valuable ground to lesser lights like Nate Washington and Lavelle Hawkins on the depth chart. (Britt was working with the second team in camp.) It was quite a turnabout for Britt, who announced himself as a star-in-the-making with his game-winning touchdown catch against Arizona last year and went on to lead the Titans in receiving yards with 701. Though he logged a couple more drops in Monday and Tuesday practice sessions, the effortless athleticism he flashed on a deep post pattern that went for a touchdown in one drill is one reason why Britt figures to be out of the doghouse and in the No. 1 receiver slot by camp's end.

3. Damien Williams is on the shelf. That means that Titans fans willing to brave the triple-digit heat will have to wait a while before they can see the third-round pick out of USC in action. (Williams injured his hamstring in June.) However, that doesn't mean that they won't see the return specialist on the field. Clad in a baseball cap and gym shoes, Williams was a conspicuous presence during the Titans' special teams drills on Tuesday -- never more so than on during one punt-fielding drill, when he distracted his fellow returners by throwing a tackling pad at them just as they were about to catch the ball. One can expect that they'll be returning the favor once he's back in pads. Assuming he survives that onslaught, Williams has the kind of talent and experience that can immediately help restore a Titans' return game to traditional prominence.

Rookie Report

When Florida State safety Myron Rolle passed on the chance to play pro football in 2009 to pursue a Rhodes Scholarship at Oxford University, more than a few NFL talent evaluators questioned his commitment to the game. (It became popular to dismiss Rolle, a 3.75 GPA student who need just 2½ years to complete his bachelor's degree in exercise science, as too smart.) But the year abroad taught Rolle, whom the Titans took in the sixth round in March, a lot about what it takes to hack it at this level-starting with how to study. He has found that the same techniques that gave structure to the six-hours daily study sessions required for his master's degree in medical anthropology can be applied just as effectively to learning the Titans' Cover-2. "I go over the material once, memorize it, write it down, go over it again, then ask the coach -- which is what I would do when I was in school," Rolle said. "Every practice is like a test here, so I have to make sure that I'm always ready and prepared."

Hard to believe that the Titans are in the market for a change-of-pace back, especially after the season that Johnson had last year. One of the players they are auditioning for the job is rookie LeGarrett Blount. The undrafted free agent out of Oregon is best known for punching a Boise State defensive lineman at the end of the Ducks' season-opener, resulting in an eight-game suspension. He nearly signed with the 49ers after the draft, but spurned them for Titans, thinking he'd be a better fit here -- especially now that LenDale White is gone.

There's a reason why Kerry Collins always sounds like such a good idea as a starting quarterback: because he sounds so good under center. He has the kind of low, gravelly cadence that just commands attention -- whether you're running plays for him or not.

Postcard from camp: Bucs (SI.com)

Excerpts:

The Bucs have a serious youth movement going on, and nowhere is it more noticeable than at wide receiver, where rookie Mike Williams and last year's seventh-rounder, Sammie Stroughter, are the likely starters one week into camp.

No question the Bucs will rise or fall on the right arm and leadership of Josh Freeman. Talking to Tony Dungy about him the other day, I found it telling that he offered to act as a sort of mentor to Freeman last year when he got to Tampa, just to make the Freeman family feel comfortable that Freeman had someone looking out for him. "I really haven't needed to do that,'' Dungy said. "He's really got himself together, in all ways.'' The Bucs are impressed with the work ethic, the arm, pretty much everything. What will be a challenge for Freeman is playing with so many young kids who will make the mistakes in route-running that young kids make.

New Face, New Place

Well, when the most important new addition is a wide receiver who MIGHT be the fourth receiver when camp breaks (former Eagle Reggie Brown, acquired for a sixth-round pick in 2011), this is not a section worthy of your attention ... Now, that changes if Keydrick Vincent, signed a month ago to shore up guard depth, wins a starting job. He's been working some with the first unit early on. The Bucs are clearly building through the draft now, and taking their lumps while the picks mature.

Rookie Report

Defensive tackle Brian Price was a surprise pick at 35th overall after the Bucs took Gerald McCoy in the first round. The way the Bucs figured it, defensive tackle was still a need position, and Price had a mid-first-round grade ... why not completely overhaul the position for the next six or eight years? Price, in the early days of camp, showed a knifing presence and looked like he'd have an equal impact to McCoy. "He wrecked practice,'' Raheem Morris said after one of the early sessions.

Asked Raheem Morris for the one guy America doesn't know now but will soon. "Quincy Black,'' he said. The outside 'back will team will Geno Hayes, with Barrett Ruud in the middle, and the feeling around camp is this could be a major position of strength. Black has edge-rusher speed and three-down capability because of his cover ability.

Everyone here thinks Aqib Talib has turned the corner from being a personal liability for his temper and off-field problems. Why? He wants to be known as a shutdown cornerback, and he knows he won't be if he keeps doing the kind of things that got him on the wrong side of Morris. They had a well-publicized shouting match when the team was in London last year. He has top-corner talent, but we won't see it clearly until he becomes invisible off the field.

Cadillac Williams and Derrick Ward are the solid 1-2 backs. It's one of the few positions on the field that doesn't rely on someone under 25 to anchor it.

You can just tell by talking to people here that Gregg Olson has brought the kind of stability on offense that they thought was lacking with fired offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski. "We're really all on the same page here now, and the offseason program and training camp, even with all the young people we have, has been smooth,'' said Freeman.

Postcards from camp: Bears (SI.com)

Excerpts:

If you're wondering how the Mike Martz-Jay Cutler relationship is going early on, suffice to say the honeymoon rages on. Speaking to the media for the first time in more than two months on Wednesday, the Bears new offensive coordinator did everything but name Cutler the NFC Pro Bowl starter after the first week of Chicago's camp. "What we do really fits him,'' Martz said. "He has that Kurt Warner awareness, if you will. He has such a keen sense of where everybody is at. He can see everything and can diagnose it without even thinking about it.''

Martz has always had a touch of Sparky Anderson-like hyperbole in him and loves to slather his guys in praise. But it seems a bit early to trot out the Warner comparison, because there's no higher compliment in Martz's book. But Cutler has handled everything Martz has thrown at him, according to the coach, and then some. "He's been pretty remarkable so far. He's everything I had hoped he would be. Absolutely.''

Wow. That's a mouthful for a quarterback who was so frustrated with his play at one point in Tuesday afternoon's practice that he fired a pass that hit one of the hospitality tents that line the field. When a reporter asked Martz about the perception that he and his quarterback, both strong-willed types, would struggle to mesh, he fairly well guffawed. "If you knew how silly that was and how easy things are between he and I,'' Martz said. " just thoroughly enjoy his company, and just enjoy being around him outside the football part of it. He's got a great sense of humor, by the way. He's a little screwed up in his sense of humor like I am, so we kind of fit pretty good.''

Cutler reciprocated the love when he spoke to reporters shortly thereafter. "I think me and Mike have clicked very quickly in our relationship,'' he said. "We have the same goals and the same thought processes on and off the field. Mike's fun. It's been fun getting to know him and being around him. He's 24/7 football. There's no getting around that, but every once in a while, he has a few jokes. He has a few stories. It hasn't been a bad thing meeting with him a lot right now.''

It doesn't matter so much, of course, what they're saying in early August. It only matters how the Martz-and-Cutler marriage is clicking come September and beyond. So far, so good, but stay tuned.

Didn't get to see much practice time while I was with the Bears, but apparently Julius Peppers has been conducting a defensive end clinic of sorts during workouts. And both Bears offensive tackles -- Frank Omiyale on the right side and Chris Williams on the left side -- have been taken to school a few times. Peppers looks rejuvenated by the change of NFL venues after eight seasons in Carolina, and Bears head coach Lovie Smith said there has been no sign of the inconsistent effort that some believe marred his tenure in Charlotte.

"That's what I haven't seen at all,'' Smith said, midday Wednesday. "He's done everything we asked him to do and more. Since we got in pads, now I'll say he's been dominant. I heard he takes plays off and all that stuff. But he has a chance to just dominate the game. I know it's early, but I've seen good defensive linemen before, and he's exactly where we want him to be at this point. He's going to show up every day for us.''

That's the idea. Especially given that he's set to earn $20 million in 2010. The Bears have lacked a pass rush for three years now, and Peppers is being paid to not only provide some, but to draw attention away from other Bears defenders so they can provide some heat of their own (Tommie Harris and Mark Anderson, we're looking in your direction). Peppers has played both ends in practice, but it's expected that he'll line up mostly on the right side, next to Harris.

The happiest group in Bears camp are the receivers, because they know they're going to benefit from Martz's pass-centric offense. The Bears are talking about having a balanced approach, but everyone understands the ex-Rams head coach never met a forward pass he didn't love. I talked with Devin Hester briefly and he's having a hard time believing he's still in Chicago, given the unfamiliar feel of a full-throttle Bears passing attack.

"I never really imagined us being so wide open like this,'' Hester said. "On designed plays you can actually find yourself wide open. I'm not used to that. That may be the hardest thing in football, catching a wide-open pass. It's like a fast break in basketball. If you're that wide open you can get some nerves going. But I love this offense. It fits the receivers we have.''

Despite bringing a gunslinger like Cutler in last season, no one on the Bears caught more than the 60 passes snared by tight end Greg Olsen, and no receiver totaled more than Hester's 757 yards. Under Martz, those numbers will go up for the likes of receivers Hester, Johnny Knox and Earl Bennett.

"We're still Chicago and we have to be able to run the football, especially late [in the season],'' Smith said. "But we have offensive weapons at the skill positions and we have to be able to take advantage of that.''

New Face, New Place

Could it be that Martz wasn't even the best coaching hire named Mike that Smith made this offseason? New Bears offensive line coach Mike Tice might wind up being the real steal. The ex-Jaguars and ex-Vikings coach has been brought in to reshape a Bears line that was dreadful at times last year, and from early indications, his work is being enthusiastically received by the team's linemen.

Tice has made it clear that three spots on Chicago's offensive line are up for grabs, with only left tackle Williams and center Olin Kreutz secure in their starting jobs. Veterans Omiyale and Kevin Shaffer are competing at right tackle, Roberto Garza and Lance Louis are dueling at right guard, and Josh Beekman and Johan Asiata are battling for the starting left guard slot.

Tice will get the Bears line playing tougher and with more attention to detail, because that's his calling card. I saw his strong work up close when he had a bevy of Pro Bowl selections coaching the Vikings offensive line in the late '90s, and he's adept at getting the best from formerly underachieving players. The Bears gave up 35 sacks last season and at times Cutler's penchant for interceptions were a direct result of the line's breakdowns.

Rookie Report

Not owning first- or second-round picks this year, the Bears aren't loaded with rookies. But safety Major Wright had started camp impressively before being sidelined with a groin muscle strain on Monday. The third-round pick out of Florida was the Bears' top selection this season, and he's slated to compete for the starting strong safety job once he returns.

The Bears have been pleasantly surprised thus far in Wright's ability to make plays on the ball. He's aggressive in run support, but he has caught Smith's eye with a nose for the football in pass coverage. In the best-case scenario, Chicago this season will have a starting safety tandem of Wright and Chris Harris, the former Bears free safety who was reacquired from Carolina on draft weekend. But at the moment that tandem can only stand and watch, because Harris is out with a back injury.

Recently retired 49ers receiver Isaac Bruce just got to Bourbonnais and will spend the rest of camp with the Bears as a coaching intern. The longtime Ram obviously flourished under Martz's offense in St. Louis and will be helping the likes of Hester, Knox and Bennett learn the intricacies of the offense. Hester and Bruce both live in South Florida and the two have been working out together this offseason. Recently Bruce was quoted saying it will take "2 1/2 years'' for Bears receivers to fully learn Martz's offense. Martz didn't dispute that estimate, but said Hester, as a veteran, is ahead of the curve and that only rookies would take that long. If that sounded like a bit of damage control to you, the same thought occurred to me.

Trying to get Cutler and Bears backup Caleb Hanie up to snuff in the offense, Chicago has given its top two quarterbacks almost all the snaps in camp. That's not really helping rookie Dan LeFevour's bid to lock down the team's No. 3 job. The ex-Central Michigan QB was taken in the sixth round by Chicago, and his arm hasn't looked too strong in the few attempts he's had in camp. He and former Rutgers quarterback Mike Teel are competing for the No. 3 spot, but Teel pulled a hamstring in Wednesday night's practice and will be out for a while.

Camp Confidential: Carolina Panthers (ESPN.com)

Can this team win with Matt Moore as the quarterback? Let’s cut to the chase. This team already has won with Moore as the quarterback. Moore started the final five games of last season after Delhomme was injured. The Panthers won four of those games and Moore looked sharp the entire time.

Sure, that’s not the longest of track records and the Panthers did draft Jimmy Clausen in the second round. But this isn’t the Carolina camp of 2001, where the Panthers were kind of expecting Jeff Lewis to fail and to hand the job to rookie Chris Weinke.

Williams’ point about the youth movement taking place last year might be right. Moore won this job with his play down the stretch and, so far in camp, the team’s confidence in him is only growing.

“Matt Moore is a gamer,’’ Williams said. “When he mentally locks in, the game comes easy for him. All quarterbacks in the league are pretty much the same. They can all throw the ball or they wouldn’t be here. The thing that separates the good ones from the bad ones is decision making. Matt Moore can make decisions. Matt’s going to be fine.’’

Let’s keep one other thing in mind. With an excellent offensive line, two very good running backs and Smith at wide receiver, Moore has a pretty strong supporting cast. He doesn’t need to be Peyton Manning or Drew Brees. He just needs to keep mistakes to a minimum and the job can be his as long as he wants.

Can the defensive line be any good? For much of Fox’s tenure, the defensive line has been the foundation of the team. But Peppers was the last in a line of supernovas who used to include Mike Rucker, Kris Jenkins and Brentson Buckner. There are no current stars on this defensive front.

But Fox and the Panthers don’t appear to view that as a bad thing. They’re not expecting any single guy to come in and replace Peppers. They believe they can get quality out of quantity and are hoping the defensive front can attack in waves. They’ve got high hopes for Charles Johnson and Everette Brown, and rookies Eric Norwood and Greg Hardy have been very impressive in camp. They brought back Tyler Brayton for a bit of continuity, but they feel they’ve got some pass-rushers who can emerge.

They also have a better feeling about defensive tackles Louis Leonard, Tank Tyler and Ed Johnson than a lot of people realize. This might not be the traditional Fox defensive front with a huge run-stuffer in the middle and a big name on the outside. But, keep in mind, the Panthers brought in Ron Meeks as defensive coordinator last year and his system is based more on speed than power up front.

“We were eighth in the league in defense a year ago with a new scheme,’’ Fox said. “It’s kind of early to tell, but we should be better with our scheme the second time around.’’

BIGGEST SURPRISE

Greg Hardy. The defensive end was a sixth-round draft pick because his college career didn’t end all that well. But the Panthers took a shot because they thought there was uncommon physical talent sitting out there late in the draft. So far, they feel as if they might have hit a home run. Hardy has looked great in camp. Coaches are noticing him and so are other players. There were some questions about Hardy’s ability to focus on football at the pro level. But so far, so good on that end. Brayton, Johnson and Brown are competing for the starting jobs, but Hardy appears to be carving out some playing time.

BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT

Dwayne Jarrett. As they’ve been doing for his entire career, the Panthers are hoping the light suddenly comes on for this wide receiver. He’s still running with the first team, but all indications are it’s just not happening for Jarrett. There’s still some work to be done and polish to be added, but the Panthers are starting to think rookie Brandon LaFell is their best option at the starting position opposite Smith. Jarrett basically is fighting for a roster spot at this point. The fact he’s still making mental mistakes this far into his career means there’s a good chance he’s gone before the preseason is over.

As mentioned above, the Panthers are singing Moore’s praises and that’s all very legitimate. But behind the scenes, the Panthers also are thrilled with what they’ve seen from Clausen. His physical skills and mechanics are as solid as expected and Clausen’s doing everything right on and off the field. There’s not a sense of urgency to play him because Moore has looked so solid. But the Panthers believe they got a steal when they took Clausen in the second round.

There’s been a lot of hype about third-round draft pick Armanti Edwards. Understandable because he was a college quarterback and came from Appalachian State, which automatically makes him popular in the Carolinas. The Panthers aren’t disappointed with Edwards by any means, but the reality is he’s just feeling his way as a receiver and a return man. Don’t look for him to be a huge contributor instantly. There’s big upside here because Edwards is so dynamic and he might be in a few packages early on. But it’s going to take some time for him to become a staple in this offense.

If you’re looking for a long shot to make the roster, I’ll throw out Trent Guy’s name. This is a tiny wide receiver, but every time I looked up during my visit to Wofford College, Guy seemed to be making a play. He’s got rare speed and good hands, and also could be a factor in the return game.

Camp Confidential: Cincinnati Bengals (ESPN.com)

Excerpts:

THREE HOT ISSUES

1. Can the Bengals improve their passing game? Cincinnati's passing offense was a disappointment last season, particularly late in the year. The Bengals aggressively attacked the problem by adding new weapons such as first-round draft pick Jermaine Gresham and receivers Terrell Owens, Antonio Bryant and Jordan Shipley.

As a result, Cincinnati could have as many as three new receivers in the top four of its rotation to join Ochocinco. And Gresham is projected to start at tight end for the Bengals, surrounding Carson Palmer with enough weapons to make any quarterback happy.

"In the grand scheme of things, we're very explosive," Palmer said.

The chemistry between Palmer and Owens is still a work in progress. The difference between Palmer's comfort level with Owens versus his comfort level with Ochocinco, whom Palmer has worked with for eight years, was noticeable in camp.

The deep ball disappeared from Cincinnati's offense during the second half of last season. But with Owens (Batman?) taking some of the pressure off Ochocinco (Robin?), and added receiver depth, expect more fireworks this year.

"What I want the focal point of this team to be is I want the offense to be our strength again," Ochocinco said this week. "I think the defense has sort of taken over the outlook as the strength of the team. I want our receiving corps and the rest of our offense to be that strength, that backbone of this team."

2. Will the Bengals' defense generate a pass rush? The Bengals were the fourth-best defense in the NFL last season. But one area where they can improve is getting to the quarterback.

Cincinnati had 34 sacks last year, which was middle of the pack at No. 16. Defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer has made it a priority to dial up new and better ways to increase the sack numbers.

The healthy return of starting defensive end Antwan Odom should help. He was the team's top pass-rusher last season until he suffered a season-ending Achilles injury. The Bengals also have young, athletic players who could see playing time in passing situations such as linebacker Michael Johnson and rookie defensive end Carlos Dunlap.

3. Who’s the kicker? Kickers aren't important until you need them. The Bengals know that all too well after their experience with Shayne Graham, who had a knack for missing field goals in key moments.

This summer there is an interesting competition going between journeyman kickers Dave Rayner and Mike Nugent. The two have played for a combined eight teams in their NFL careers.

Nugent is hurt this week, which may have allowed Rayner to take a slight lead. But Rayner has had his ups and downs as well. Earlier this week he made all six of his field-goal attempts, but on Wednesday Rayner was 5-for-8. He missed two 50-yard attempts that were very wide left.

Expect this competition to be settled during the preseason.

BIGGEST SURPRISE

He is not the biggest player or the fastest, but there is something about Shipley that continues to stand out in camp. He has even caught the attention of Ochocinco, who said early that the rookie has potential.

Shipley seems at home in the slot. He has a knack for getting open and has sure hands and good ball security in traffic once the catch is made. The Bengals are very deep at receiver this year, so it's questionable how big a role Shipley could have. But for now he's making the most of his opportunities.

BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT

Former first-round pick Matt Jones seems to be falling behind daily in an effort to earn a roster spot. Once a big athlete with freakish speed, Jones clearly has lost a couple of steps after taking a year away from football.

Jones also suffered a foot injury recently, which hasn't helped his case. Ochocinco, Owens, Bryant, Shipley and Andre Caldwell probably will take up five slots at the receiver position. That leaves only one or two more roster spots for Jones and several other receivers to compete for. Do not be surprised if Jones doesn't make the cut.

Despite signing just before camp, Owens arrived in very good shape. He still has to learn the offense, but Owens has shown some flashes of what he can do. On Wednesday night, Palmer connected deep with Owens, who beat cornerback Leon Hall, streaking down the sideline for a 55-yard touchdown. The play was one of the highlights of camp thus far.

Bryant continues to rehab his knee. He participated in the first day of camp but has missed every practice since. The Bengals signed Bryant to a four-year, $28 million contract but he hasn't looked explosive as he continues to heal from offseason knee surgery. The team is hoping he continues to progress.

Watch out for second-year running back Bernard Scott. He is my sleeper pick for the Bengals this season. Scott has a chance to contribute both as Cedric Benson's backup as well as a kick returner. With increased opportunities, Scott should have increased production.

Adam Jones should help the Bengals in some capacity this year. His technique as a cornerback still needs improvement, but he is competing hard in practice and his physical abilities are still apparent. Jones also looks natural as a kick returner and could be an early favorite to win punt and/or kickoff return duties.

I have not been impressed with Cincinnati's pass protection early in camp. You cannot see everything, because players cannot touch the quarterback. But the number of defenders getting in the passing lanes has been noticeable. That will be something to keep an eye on in the preseason.

I'll exit with a prediction: I have a sneaky feeling the Bengals will keep only two quarterbacks this season. Cincinnati has waves and waves of players at other positions, and cutting the No. 3 quarterback -- most likely Jordan Palmer -- is one way the Bengals can save a roster spot to retain an extra receiver, defensive back or linebacker. Carson Palmer and J.T. O'Sullivan would be the team's quarterbacks, while the Bengals could always add Jordan Palmer or someone else down the road in the event of an emergency.

Minnesota Vikings Camp Report (USA Today)

Excerpts:

AROUND VIKINGS TRAINING CAMP

Reason to believe: Favre, if he does not retire. He'll turn 41 on Oct. 10, but his 33 TD passes last season helped the Vikings to the NFC title game and provided an ideal complement to the running of Adrian Peterson and the rugged Viking defense.

Trouble spot: Favre, if he does retires. Without him, the Vikings will have to rely more on their running game and defense. That would make it a tougher road to get back to the NFC title game.

Who's new: This is Jackson's fifth year with the Vikings, but he'll likely be the new starter if Favre isn't here. In 19 regular-season starts, Jackson is 10-9. He's 0-1 in the playoffs, a loss to the Philadelphia Eagles in the 2008 season.

Positional battle: While Favre's absence has created a new pecking order at QB, the Vikings also are minus starting right cornerback Cedric Griffin, who is on the physically unable to perform list while recovering from surgery to repair a knee injury sustained in the NFC title game. Lito Sheppard, signed as a free agent, is the leading candidate to replace Griffin. But Asher Allen and Bennie Sapp are in the mix. And the Vikings used a second round draft pick on cornerback Cris Cook from Virginia.

On the mend: Favre had surgery in June to remove scar tissue and bone spurs from his left ankle. It's his third surgery on the ankle, which could be the key to whether he comes back. Linebacker E.J. Henderson, sidelined last December by a leg fracture, has been practicing.

Rookie watch: Quarterback Joe Webb, a sixth-round draft pick from Alabama-Birmingham, could be the beneficiary of a roster spot behind Jackson and Rosenfels if Favre doesn't play. Running back Toby Gerhart, a second-round draft pick and Heisman Trophy runner-up from Stanford, could be the No. 2 guy behind Adrian Peterson. He's shown in practice he can handle rugged carries in the goal-line offense.

Wow, that makes it sound like Webb could be cut if Favre joins the team. Too bad, he's an incredible athlete.

Wow, that makes it sound like Webb could be cut if Favre joins the team. Too bad, he's an incredible athlete.
I had heard that Sage Rosenfels roster spot is possibly in jeopardy, as he hasn't played very well...so it is always good to review other viewpoints that are available.

Postcard from camp: Falcons (SI.com)

Excerpts:

Three Observations

1. Not that No. 3 quarterback John Parker Wilson is competing for the starting job, but I could see the Alabama grad pressing Chris Redman for the backup position sometime soon. Wilson throws a tight spiral and is accurate, from watching him during the morning practice. He threw a perfect 18-yard strike over the middle to wideout Brandyn Harvey that made the crowd go, "Oooooh.''

2. This team's in trouble if Michael Turner can't stay healthy, because the Falcons don't have another power back with some moves like the rock-solid, 244-pound Turner. And offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey wants to be a 45 percent run team (at least), to keep the pressure off Matt Ryan.

3. Might be the end of the line for Brian Finneran, who has fought through so many injuries -- inspirationally -- to still be competing for one of the receiving spots at 34. But the fifth-round pick from Kansas -- 6-foot-3, 220-pound wideout Kerry Meier -- could nudge Finneran out of a job.

Memorable Image

Tony Gonzalez, at 34 looking like he's 27. "I'm an old man,'' Gonzalez said after practice, struggling to stand after sitting on a bleacher outside the locker room for a couple of minutes. Funny -- he doesn't look like one on the field. Gonzalez didn't take plays off (that I saw anyway) in the morning session, and looks fluid and lithe. Something the coaches have been impressed with in his 15 months as a Falcon is his blocking, which has never been his forte. Interesting: Gonzalez ended last year with 999 catches, which I'm told ticked him off as he went into the offseason (because he felt you never know what might happen in the offseason). Wouldn't be surprised if Ryan's first throw of the season Sept. 12 is to Gonzalez.

Harry Douglas, drafted to be the Falcons' slot man in the third round of the 2008 draft, missed last year with a knee injury but looks back to his rookie self. He's got to give Ryan the intermediate target a classic slot man gives a passer; it's a vital part of Mularkey's offense.

The more I watch the game, the more I think how valuable good assistant coaches like Atlanta receivers coach Terry Robiskie are. It's hard at a diva position to make really good athletes and players better, but Robiskie has done it everywhere he's coached. He's doing it here with White, who is practicing this year harder than he did before he got paid big money last year. That's, in part, the Robiskie influence.
More Peter King BS. Finneran is their best downfield blocker and will likely make the squad. Snelling can and has filled in for Turner. Coach Smith or Mularkey are not trying to keep the pressure off 3rd year qb Ryan

(Rotoworld) Ahmad Bradshaw is taking all of the first reps with the starters so far at Giants camp.

Analysis: Both the NY Daily News and the Newark Star-Ledger have observed that Bradshaw is getting the first crack at every drill ahead of Brandon Jacobs. Although we wouldn't read too much into this, it confirms that Bradshaw (feet, ankle) is completely healthy. We fully expect Jacobs to be the starter and leader of this timeshare by the time Week 1 rolls around.

I had heard that Sage Rosenfels roster spot is possibly in jeopardy, as he hasn't played very well...so it is always good to review other viewpoints that are available.
Thanks Faust. Anyone have a better source than CBS? Tell you what, I'll take the Bears and I'm following the Raiders and Texans offseason threads so if I see something there I'll report it. Last Bears report I read said that Cutler and Martz honeymoon is continuing. They're getting along well and spending lots of time together. Knox has been the WR focus in the passing game.

Bears Notes Game 7

CUTLER WATCH

Surely, Bears offensive coordinator Mike Martz heaped more praise on quarterback Jay Cutler after Thursday's practice. Despite strong winds, Cutler performed admirably during two two-minute drills without starting receiver Devin Hester. On his first drive, Cutler completed seven of nine passes, with one spike and one incompletion when Matt Forte couldn't get his feet in bounds in the end zone. The drive, though, still ended with a touchdown to Forte. Cutler moved his team on the next series, but receiver Devin Aromashodu couldn't get his feet in bounds on a sideline pass inside the 7-yard line.

MINI-BITES

* The 20-plus mph winds wreaked so much havoc that the usually sure-handed Danieal Manning muffed a kickoff.

* The line of James Marten (LT), Vince Vance (LG), Tim Walter ©, Levi Horn (RG) and J'Marcus Webb (RT) did a nice job on consecutive goal-line running plays, opening up one major lane for running back Kahlil Bell.

* Devin Hester didn't practice because of soreness, and Desmond Clark was given Thursday off. Charles Tillman returned to practice.

* Chris Harris (back), Juaquin Iglesias (quad) and Major Wright (groin) did some running during practice.

* Kellen Davis caught a touchdown pass from Caleb Hanie in a red-zone session.

From Brad Biggs Twitter:

BradBiggs

After 1 week of charting camp, numbers show Johnny Knox is the new fave WR for either Jay Cutler, Mike Martz or both. http://bit.ly/b8bNY7

BradBiggs

Yes, it's all in here: bit.ly/b8bNY7. RT @sgtpepper91179 @BradBiggs Where does DA rank among the wr's? Is he 3rd behind Knox & Hester?

From Raiders thread:

DHB working with Namdi after practices

McClain looking worth the pick and then some

From Texans:

Jury still out on Daniels

According to latest quote from Kubiak, RB pecking order is Foster, Slaton, Tate

Postcard from camp: Lions (SI.com)

Excerpts:

Matthew Stafford looks ready to take a big step in his second year in the NFL. Last summer, as a rookie, he split training camp repetitions with Daunte Culpepper and rode the usual highs and lows of a first-year pro. This summer, he is an undisputed starter, comfortable in his role as team leader. (Shaun Hill is his backup).

"Matt's in a completely different place this year," Schwartz said. "Last year, he was splitting reps, our top three receivers weren't practicing with him [due to injury], he was trying to earn a starting position, he was trying to learn the offense, he was going through his very first NFL training camp, and all of the things that go with that. Now, he's been through it. We've cleared his plate. Now, he's concentrating on football and not looking over his shoulder."

Stafford and top receiver Calvin Johnson have been working long hours since March, running extra routes and occasionally spending time together away from the facility.

"We haven't played any games yet, but not having to come in and learn a new offense and new teammates has given us a step forward," Stafford said. "[in] your first training camp, you don't know where to go, where to be."

Stafford knows now. And the Lions' offense will be better for it.

The Lions are building an aggressive front four that, if successful, will take pressure off the rest of the defense. That's precisely why the Lions drafted Ndamukong Suh, signed Vanden Bosch, and traded for defensive tackle Corey Williams.

One of the more interesting conversations I've ever had with a coach was with Schwartz two years ago while he was the Tennessee Titans defensive coordinator. At the time Schwartz explained how his defense, including Vanden Bosch, would try and funnel the action toward the middle of the defense and, specifically, toward Albert Haynesworth.

In Detroit, Schwartz and Vanden Bosch will attempt to mimic that mayhem and force opposing offenses toward Williams and Suh, who agreed to a contract Tuesday. Cliff Avril and Jared DeVries are competing for the Lions' starting left defensive end spot.

"Ideally, we shrink the field," Vanden Bosch said. "We send everything back inside to our tackles and linebackers."

Said Schwartz: "The philosophy brought here from Tennessee was, if you're strong up front, if you can rush with four, you don't have to blitz as much to put pressure on the quarterback. If you're good on the defensive line, you may not have to spin that safety into the box to get an eight-man front to stop the run. It all works together. If you're building a good defense, it doesn't hurt to start up front."

In an NFC North where every offense passed more than ran, the pressure that the Lions' front four creates will have a direct impact on wins and losses.

New Face, New Place

If opponents roll extra coverage to Johnson this season, Nate Burleson will be on the other side of the field looking to make them pay. Burleson, who caught 63 passes for 812 yards and three touchdowns in Seattle last season, will immediately help diversify Detroit's offense.

"And it's not just the receivers," Burleson said. "It's the running backs and tight ends, too. That's a really good sign. The more weapons you have, the more chances you have to win the battle."

Expect Burleson to find quick comfort in the Lions offense. Two of his three seasons in Minnesota were spent with Scott Linehan, now the Lions offensive coordinator. Burleson also spent two seasons in Minnesota opposite a dynamic and rangy receiver -- Randy Moss.

Rookie Report

Jahvid Best first caught Schwartz's eye on game film. The Lions coach continues to like what he sees in person.

"His ability to make a play as a receiver on a screen pass and not just gain three or four yards but be able to go the distance," Schwartz said. "We've seen how that can affect a football team. Chris Johnson in Tennessee. I think [best] is going to be a good acquisition for us."

Along with Suh, who agreed to a five-year deal that includes $40 million guaranteed, the Lions have two rookies who will make an immediate impact on Detroit's fortunes. Even though Suh played in a more read-and-react defense at Nebraska, his strength and quickness should make his transition to the pros easier.

"He's such a good athlete that he adjusted quickly," Schwartz said.

As Stafford continues his maturation, expect him to lean on tight ends Tony Scheffler, acquired in a trade from Denver, and Brandon Pettigrew, who caught 30 passes with two touchdowns as a rookie last season before tearing an ACL. Pettigrew has been cleared to practice.

How many more kicks does 40-year-old Jason Hanson have left? Hanson, the longest-tenured Lion, had minor arthroscopic surgery on his left (non-kicking) knee this week. Rookie Aaron Pettrey from Ohio State will handle kicking duties in Hanson's absence. Hanson, who had a similar procedure on his right knee last August, is expected back before the regular season.

(Rotoworld) Ahmad Bradshaw is taking all of the first reps with the starters so far at Giants camp.

Analysis: Both the NY Daily News and the Newark Star-Ledger have observed that Bradshaw is getting the first crack at every drill ahead of Brandon Jacobs. Although we wouldn't read too much into this, it confirms that Bradshaw (feet, ankle) is completely healthy. We fully expect Jacobs to be the starter and leader of this timeshare by the time Week 1 rolls around.
We'll see.

We'll see.
Yep...

I tend to believe it'll be flipped.

After spending the offseason in the weight room, Ray Rice now bench presses 405 pounds and squats more than 500.

"Look at him over there," said FB Le'Ron McClain. "He lives in the weight room all the time. I mean all the time! He is going to be a beast." Rice's extraordinary strength is the primary reason why he succeeds between the tackles where so many other smaller backs fail. He's one of the most complete tailbacks in the NFL, and he'll be a goal-line stud in 2011 if the Ravens part with Willis McGahee.

Camp Confidential: Miami Dolphins (ESPN.com)

Excerpts:

What will the Chad Henne-to-Brandon Marshall connection mean to the offense? The Dolphins have been all about the ground game since Bill Parcells and Sparano took over in 2008. Ronnie Brown, Ricky Williams, rugged offensive line, the Wildcat, possession receivers ... Run, run, run.

Last year, the Dolphins ranked fourth in run offense and 20th in pass offense. Henne threw the fewest touchdown passes of any quarterback with at least 400 attempts. Just five of those touchdowns went to wide receivers.

Marshall's arrival can change that dramatically. While the Dolphins will continue to rely on their ground game, Henne now has a go-to target on third-and-critical or in the red zone. Marshall's amazing talents are on display every day at camp. He has sensational hands, outleaps helpless defenders and can snatch any ball remotely in his area.

Don't expect Marshall to extend his streak to four seasons of at least 100 receptions, but his presence gives Henne the kind of target who opens up all sorts of possibilities the Dolphins haven't had in years.

What will the interior offensive line look like? The Dolphins should have the makings of a nasty offensive line, but the inner three positions aren't solidified.

The Dolphins have had trouble settling on a center. Two years ago, they signed free agent Jake Grove and traded away Samson Satele. Now Grove is alternating first-team reps with Joe Berger for a spot that's up for grabs.

At guard, incumbent Donald Thomas, third-round draft choice John Jerry and free-agent signee Richie Incognito are fighting -- in Incognito's case, literally -- for jobs.

Sparano, an O-line aficionado at his core, wants his center and guards to be more than maulers in the run game. They must be better pass protectors.

"People think the left tackle's the only guy that [pass blocks on an island]," Sparano said. "But that's not true when you're turning the protection away from one of them. So to identify who can really handle those one-on-one battles is going to be important for us. That to me is what has to get better."

BIGGEST SURPRISE

Ikaika Alama-Francis wasn't good enough to stick with the 0-16 Detroit Lions. He was their second-round draft choice in 2007, but they cut the young defensive end after two seasons. He was on the street for two months before the Dolphins signed him in November. Alama-Francis was a healthy scratch for all six games he was on the roster and an afterthought heading into the offseason.

But with three workouts left until the Dolphins broke for the summer, they switched him to outside linebacker. Alama-Francis weighed 290 when he joined the Dolphins in November. He's an explosive 275 now.

"He looks like a linebacker out there, moving around right now," Sparano said. "He's a handful in the rush. He sets the edge of the defense pretty well, strong guy and very, very smart. I like what he's done."

BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT

Quarterback Pat White hasn't shown any obvious signs of development to contradict the general belief Miami wasted a second-round draft pick on him last year. White missed the first day of training camp because of unexplained personal reasons. One report, quoting a family member, suggested White wouldn't play this year. He arrived the next day, but he hasn't shown much.

White has gotten limited reps, buried behind Henne, Chad Pennington and Tyler Thigpen. When given the opportunity, White's passes are scattershot, albeit more accurate than last year.

Merling would have been the easy choice here had he made it to training camp. Before he could get there, he was charged with felony assault of his pregnant girlfriend and suffered a season-ending Achilles injury.

You can't comprehend the size of some players until you see them in person. Marshall and Karlos Dansby are two of those guys. We can lose perspective when we're inundated with athlete heights and weights that are often fudged, but Marshall (6-4, 230) and Dansby (6-4, 250) are monstrous for their positions.

Second-year receiver Patrick Turner is having an erratic summer. When I first laid eyes on him at rookie camp in 2009, I immediately was struck with how great his hands were. Turner made catching a football seem so effortless. He has been plagued by drops throughout this training camp, and when he does make a catch his teammates sound overly encouraging -- "Way to go, Pat!" -- to keep his confidence up. Turner was inactive for 14 games last year because he has no special-teams value. If the Dolphins can't trust him as a receiver, he'll have a hard time getting on the field.

Tough break for running back Kory Sheets, who suffered a season-ending right Achilles injury while returning a kickoff Wednesday. He had a nice shot to make the roster and made one of the most eye-popping plays I saw during my stay. On Monday night, he exploded through the offensive line and got into the second level with such speed, his teammates reflexively screamed "Whooooo!"

Two years ago, Greg Camarillo was the Dolphins' best receiver. Now he looks like the fourth receiver behind Marshall, Brian Hartline and Davone Bess. That's a nice problem for Miami to have.

Users who are viewing this thread