What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tragedy Strikes at SF QB Alex Smith (1 Viewer)

Mark Wimer

Hey guys,

Bad news for Alex Smith over the past weekend came out Thursday after practice:

It's been an especially trying week for Smith. He disclosed that his closest friend, David Edwards, 24, committed suicide Sunday. Smith will miss today's practice in order to attend a service for Edwards in the San Diego area. He's scheduled to fly back to the Bay Area on Saturday in time for the game.

Edwards was a housemate at Smith's home in Los Gatos for two years before moving back to San Diego last year. The two had been friends since they were 14, and Edwards often vacationed with the Smith family. The Friday service will be in the Smiths' backyard in Bonita.

He was "really close with my family," Smith said. "So it's been difficult for everybody." He said, "It will be good to go down and see his old friends and family."

Smith found out about his friend's death Sunday after practice. He admitted he's had a hard time coping with the tragedy. He met with reporters Tuesday but didn't mention it. On the practice field, the former starter has found himself playing second fiddle to O'Sullivan.
Condolences to Mr. Smith over the loss of his close friend.This situation may well be a factor that helps propel J.T. O'Sullivan into the starting job at least early in the season. I don't see how Smith can focus on football right now, given his fresh grief...

I've known two people who committed suicide, and it's just a very jarring thing to experience. Neither were as close as this friend of Alex's. That's a shame. :shock:

Yeah, this may be why the Niner coaching staff was so cryptic all week about the QB position. Everytime the media asked why JTO was getting all the reps with the first team in practice they said, "Don't read anything into it". I guess this is why. :goodposting:

What's to say that this doesn't motivate Alex Smith? Maybe he'll dedicate this season to his friend or whatever. If he busts or succeeds this season I don't think this incident will have much to do with it.

I've never lost a close friend, or anyone I knew, to suicide, so I could not fathom what Smith is going through right now. Hopefully he comes through all of this with his head screwed on straight and has a good season.

My thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family and the family of his friend.

Users who are viewing this thread