What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Top 200 Bowie Recordings - #1 - Heroes (1 Viewer)

#2 - David Bowie - Five Years (The Rise & Fall Of Ziggy Stardust & The Spiders From Mars - 1972), (First Ever Performance - 1972), (Old Grey Whistle Test - 1972), (Live - 1972), (Live - 1973), (Dinah Shore - 1976), (Live - 1976), (Live - 1978), (Live - 2003), (Live - 2003), (Live - 2004), (Live W/Arcade Fire - 2005)

Covers: Fish, Phish, Cowboy Junkies, Placebo, Cybernauts, Lena HallRamona, Gaby MorenoPolyphonic SpreeEndlessThe EnemyTahúres ZúrdosSeu JorgeSantahMarian GoldCycleflyChristian BeachPostmarksCamille O'SullivanOld 97'sBorn RuffiansAsaf SandhausCamilla FascinaDamien YouthContainersRichard HolmesJoshua KeiterBergamotTenksouI Shot SamoBed BandSunflower SpectaclePatrick McCallion

And on the seventh day, god made Ziggy. I suspect a lot of people will say that Five Years is a good song . . . but #2 overall? Really?!? The song does not appear on any greatest hits album, never gets radio airplay, and most people under 50 have probably have never heard it. It was never an A Side . . . or a B Side. Yet, in spite of all of that, it lands at #2. But the list was never intended to be the top songs that all people knew.

Five Years has been called one of the greatest songs to open an album in the history of rock 'n' roll. Suddenly the world has an expiration date . . . and people are panicking. It's never clearly stated WHY civilization is slated to cease to exist. It is inferred that we are running out of natural resources (food? water? oxygen?). Maybe it was the coronavirus. I bet they couldn't get toilet paper then, either. From the simple drumbeat intro, the chaos and pandemonium in the middle, and the same drumbeat outro, the song sets the stage for Ziggy to save the planet. The lyrics and vignettes of all the characters in the song paint a bleak picture. If ever anyone could ever make a painting using only words, this was it. Bowie chose five years as the length of time for Armageddon by following a dream he had in 1971 in which his late father came to him and told him that he had only five years left to live and that he must never fly again. Bowie recorded his primary vocals in one take. He also recorded the chorus / backing vocals in a single take.

The performance on the Dinah Shore Show is stunning. Already an eerie song, the original featured a heavy dose of piano and strings. This version drops the piano and strings, slows the song down, and instead adds some twangy guitar and synthesizer to make the song even more haunting. You can her the desperation in Bowie's voice, as he gets emotional as he sings it. It actually sounds like the world really is ending. We have Henry Winkler ( a guest on the same episode) to thank for this one, as Fonzie asked Bowie if he would perform it. Given that the song was already 4 years old, it's surprising that Bowie chose to honor his request.

I am generally against A) messing with songs that don't need to be messed with and B) slowing down songs (vehemently opposed would be another way of putting it), but in this case easing back on the throttle and cutting back on the tempo sets an even more somber tone and fatalistic mood (on other performances, Bowie does go the other way and speeds the song up). The Dinah! performance would rank as my #2 favorite live Bowie performance.

The song was supposed to be the closing number to Bowie's Live Aid performance in 1985, but that plan got nixed the day before the concert. Instead, organizers opted to fill that time slot with a famine relief video featuring The Cars - Drive. Five Years was performed on the 72 / 73 / 76 / 78 tours. In 1972, Bowie played it on the BBC and on the Old Grey Whistle Test before the Ziggy Stardust album had been released. After the Stage tour in 1978, the song lay dormant for 25 years. Think about that for a minute. How many performers are even around for 25 years, let alone are able to revisit one of their songs 25 years later? But when Bowie returned to Berlin in 2003, where he created some of his greatest albums, he pulled Five Years back into the set list. On multiple dates on the Reality tour, Bowie would end his shows with a heavy dose of Ziggy . . . wrapping things up with Five Years, Suffragette City, Hang On To Yourself, and Ziggy Stardust.

Bowie apparently was a big Arcade Fire fan. Author Molly Knight tells the story that early in Arcade Fire's career, they played in NYC around the corner from where Bowie lived. She said she went to see the band and Bowie was there singing covers of Arcade Fire and Talking Heads songs (where / why / how is unexplained in her retelling of the story). Arcade Fire was so little known at the time that the band itself sold copies of their album and merchandise at their shows. Knight said she ran into Bowie at the show, and he said he "would make this weird Canadian band happen." She went to look for a copy of Arcade Fire's album in New York the next day but couldn't find one . . .Bowie had already bought them all up and sent them to all his friends. (For the record, I have never heard of Bowie showing up at places and randomly singing covers of other people's songs, so that part may be sketchy.) In any event, that led to Bowie getting Arcade Fire to back him for his 2005 Fashion Rock performance (later released as an EP). It was one of the last times Bowie performed in public.

That's it for today . . . but tomorrow . . . we can beat them . . . just for one day.

I was zoning out on what would be number 1 until your last sentence there...

Five Years wouldn't be a top 10 song for me, or even a top 5 Ziggy track, but it's a great one nonetheless.  Hard to go wrong with any song from that record, to be honest.

#2 - David Bowie - Five Years (The Rise & Fall Of Ziggy Stardust & The Spiders From Mars - 1972), (First Ever Performance - 1972), (Old Grey Whistle Test - 1972), (Live - 1972), (Live - 1973), (Dinah Shore - 1976), (Live - 1976), (Live - 1978), (Live - 2003), (Live - 2003), (Live - 2004), (Live W/Arcade Fire - 2005)

Covers: Fish, Phish, Cowboy Junkies, Placebo, Cybernauts, Lena HallRamona, Gaby MorenoPolyphonic SpreeEndlessThe EnemyTahúres ZúrdosSeu JorgeSantahMarian GoldCycleflyChristian BeachPostmarksCamille O'SullivanOld 97'sBorn RuffiansAsaf SandhausCamilla FascinaDamien YouthContainersRichard HolmesJoshua KeiterBergamotTenksouI Shot SamoBed BandSunflower SpectaclePatrick McCallion

And on the seventh day, god made Ziggy. I suspect a lot of people will say that Five Years is a good song . . . but #2 overall? Really?!? The song does not appear on any greatest hits album, never gets radio airplay, and most people under 50 have probably have never heard it. It was never an A Side . . . or a B Side. Yet, in spite of all of that, it lands at #2. But the list was never intended to be the top songs that all people knew.

Five Years has been called one of the greatest songs to open an album in the history of rock 'n' roll. Suddenly the world has an expiration date . . . and people are panicking. It's never clearly stated WHY civilization is slated to cease to exist. It is inferred that we are running out of natural resources (food? water? oxygen?). Maybe it was the coronavirus. I bet they couldn't get toilet paper then, either. From the simple drumbeat intro, the chaos and pandemonium in the middle, and the same drumbeat outro, the song sets the stage for Ziggy to save the planet. The lyrics and vignettes of all the characters in the song paint a bleak picture. If ever anyone could ever make a painting using only words, this was it. Bowie chose five years as the length of time for Armageddon by following a dream he had in 1971 in which his late father came to him and told him that he had only five years left to live and that he must never fly again. Bowie recorded his primary vocals in one take. He also recorded the chorus / backing vocals in a single take.

The performance on the Dinah Shore Show is stunning. Already an eerie song, the original featured a heavy dose of piano and strings. This version drops the piano and strings, slows the song down, and instead adds some twangy guitar and synthesizer to make the song even more haunting. You can her the desperation in Bowie's voice, as he gets emotional as he sings it. It actually sounds like the world really is ending. We have Henry Winkler ( a guest on the same episode) to thank for this one, as Fonzie asked Bowie if he would perform it. Given that the song was already 4 years old, it's surprising that Bowie chose to honor his request.

I am generally against A) messing with songs that don't need to be messed with and B) slowing down songs (vehemently opposed would be another way of putting it), but in this case easing back on the throttle and cutting back on the tempo sets an even more somber tone and fatalistic mood (on other performances, Bowie does go the other way and speeds the song up). The Dinah! performance would rank as my #2 favorite live Bowie performance.

The song was supposed to be the closing number to Bowie's Live Aid performance in 1985, but that plan got nixed the day before the concert. Instead, organizers opted to fill that time slot with a famine relief video featuring The Cars - Drive. Five Years was performed on the 72 / 73 / 76 / 78 tours. In 1972, Bowie played it on the BBC and on the Old Grey Whistle Test before the Ziggy Stardust album had been released. After the Stage tour in 1978, the song lay dormant for 25 years. Think about that for a minute. How many performers are even around for 25 years, let alone are able to revisit one of their songs 25 years later? But when Bowie returned to Berlin in 2003, where he created some of his greatest albums, he pulled Five Years back into the set list. On multiple dates on the Reality tour, Bowie would end his shows with a heavy dose of Ziggy . . . wrapping things up with Five Years, Suffragette City, Hang On To Yourself, and Ziggy Stardust.

Bowie apparently was a big Arcade Fire fan. Author Molly Knight tells the story that early in Arcade Fire's career, they played in NYC around the corner from where Bowie lived. She said she went to see the band and Bowie was there singing covers of Arcade Fire and Talking Heads songs (where / why / how is unexplained in her retelling of the story). Arcade Fire was so little known at the time that the band itself sold copies of their album and merchandise at their shows. Knight said she ran into Bowie at the show, and he said he "would make this weird Canadian band happen." She went to look for a copy of Arcade Fire's album in New York the next day but couldn't find one . . .Bowie had already bought them all up and sent them to all his friends. (For the record, I have never heard of Bowie showing up at places and randomly singing covers of other people's songs, so that part may be sketchy.) In any event, that led to Bowie getting Arcade Fire to back him for his 2005 Fashion Rock performance (later released as an EP). It was one of the last times Bowie performed in public.

That's it for today . . . but tomorrow . . . we can beat them . . . just for one day.
No complaints from me on the placement. Love this song.

#1 - David Bowie - Heroes (Heroes - 1977)
Covers: Blondie, Peter Gabriel, Depeche Mode, Prince, U2, Oasis, Bon Jovi, Eddie Vedder, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Smashing Pumpkins, Joe Jackson, Moby, Motorhead, Melissa Etheridge, Coldplay, Simple Minds, Counting Crows, Wallflowers, King Crimson, Philip Glass, Tangerine Dream, Billy Preston, Mike Masse, Neil Finn, Peter Murphy, Glass Tiger, Lady Gaga (Medley), Sigue Sigue Sputnik, David Hasselhoff, Thomas Dolby, Michael C. Hall & Gail Ann Dorsey, LCD Soundsystem, Third Eye Blind, Rob Thomas, Toadies, David Duchovny, David Cook, Shearwater, Roger Taylor (Queen), Marillion & Howard Jones, Widespread Panic, OMD, Arcade Fire, Earl Slick, Flaming Lips, Poi Dog Pondering, Eiffel, Shirley Manson (Garbage), Boy George, The Script, Nena & Friends, Yo La Tengo, Celtic Frost, Bernard Fowler, Ian McCulloch (Echo & The Bunnymen), Ewan McGregor, Travis, Nico, Bloc Party, Adrian Belew & Todd Rundgren, Glee Cast, Icehouse, Clan Of Xymox, Information Society, Johnny Depp & Hollywood Vampires

Going to have to split up the description for Heroes, as it would be way too long for one post. That list of covers are just the "notables" that have covered the song. There are hundreds of other lesser known acts that have covered it (which I will spare people from). I have a lot to do today, so I will add in some of these when I have time.

Last edited by a moderator:
#1 - David Bowie - Heroes (Studio Version Discussion), (Single / Video - 1977), (Alternate Video - 1977), (German Version - 1977), (French Version - 1977), (Instrumental Version - 1977), (Bing Crosby Show - 1977), (Fan Remix - ???)

We can be heroes . . . just for one day. Oddly enough, the song was intended to be an instrumental. Bowie was in his Berlin phase working with Brian Eno, and they would go on to recorded a number of experimental instrumental that appeared on Heroes and Low. Many people will already know that the song was about two lovers that met at the Berlin Wall each day. What came out 25 years later was the song was about producer Tony Visconti (married) having an affair with Antonia Maass, one of Bowie's backup singers, The two would meet up at the wall each day for passionate embraces. Bowie kept quiet about that little nugget for years, but he says he hadn't seen a couple in love as those two and there was passion in their eyes when they got together.

The quality of the production and sound engineering on Heroes is magic capturing all sorts of crazy parts and instruments. The band cut the track and had long left Berlin when Bowie took a stab at adding vocals to the song. At the time the band moved on, they left thinking the song was an instrumental.

Bowie recorded his parts of the song on a stage in a giant ballroom in Berlin using gated microphones. To get the desired effect prevalent on the track, Visconti set up microphones 9 inches, 20 feet, and 50 feet away from the singer and used a technique called gating. Visconti explains how he put everything together and mixed things HERE. The acoustics in the hall gave the song natural reverb. By the end of the song, Bowie is yelling to reach the microphone 50 feet away. The primary microphone is used for roughly the first 2 minutes. A minute later most of the sound is captured by the 2nd microphone. And the last 3 minutes or so is the mike in the back of the room. With the microphones so far away, Bowie's screaming blends in with the instruments. There are all sorts of odd sounds used in the song. At one point in the mix, Visconti bangs on a metal ashtray.

The lyrics and vocals instill both hope, happiness, and despair all at once. A couple being together can temporarily defy whatever external forces thrown at them to find happiness in each other's arms . . . but who knows what their fates will be the next day.

For all the success and accolades Bowie had achieved up until that point, the song was a failure. It could not crack the Top 20 in Great Britain (he already had 15 songs hit the Top 20 in the U.K.). How did it do in the States? Anyone? Any guesses? Yep. ZIP. CHEWY. It did not chart at all. WTF is wrong with people in America? Proving once again that greatness for artists can only truly be appreciated after the creator has passed away, almost 40 years after the song was released it hit #12 on the U.K. singles chart after Bowie died.

Heroes the album sold a little better, reaching #3 on the British album charts and #35 on the Billboard 200. Bowie ended up having 34 Top 10 albums in the U.K. . . . but only 9 Top 10 albums in the U.S.

Heroes the song went on to be recognized as one of the best songs ever recorded. Sounds magazine ranked it 2nd all time. NME magazine ranked it 15th.Radio X has it at #24.Mojo magazine ranks it 34th. Rolling Stone placed it at #46 on their Top 500 songs of all time. Time magazine included it in their list of Top 100 songs. Uncut magazine lists it as their top Bowie song.

Admittedly, attaching the song as a rallying cry to every possible cause known to man as collective backing and support can get a little much. Hats off to all the healthcare professionals busting their humps for society, they truly are heroes . . . but I have seen so many clips using this song that I almost can't watch them anymore. In any event, the studio version of the song checks off all the nectar of the gods requirements . . . great musicianship, creativity, production, songwriting, emotion, and vocals. As much as I like this version of the song, I actually like several of the live performances even better.

#1 - David Bowie - Heroes (Live Version discussion . . . ranked from worst to first)
Heroes was the 4th most performed song in the Bowie repertoire. It was performed live at least one time in 13 different years.

Live - 1992 (Freddie Mercury Tribute)
I don't love the entirety of this one. Bowie's vocals are fine, and the star power is there with Queen, Mick Ronson, and Ian Hunter. Ronson playing lead is interesting, but doesn't fit his style of playing. It seems to me like Bowie has energy but Queen as backing band is only ok. To me, it's historically more significant than anything else about it. The sound quality is muffled, which doesn't help matters.

Live - 1997 (Phoenix Festival), Live - 1996 (Lorely Festival)
Reeves Gabrels tries to hard to stand out on this version. However, it has the seeds of emphasizing the bass more (which will be vital in the versions from the 2000s and will become the secret sauce to take the song to the next level). It's also a little to lounge act and tecno-y for my liking. The sound in the 1997 video is washed out, but I don't love the 1996 version even in crisp, clear sound.

Live - 1990
Adrian Belew may be a great guitarist, but he doesn't always fit with a song. Just like the 1978 version, he makes himself a focal point in parts of the song where he shouldn't. He tramples Bowie's vocals. I don't love the cadence of this version, as it feels too rigid and almost march-like.

Live - 1978 (Earl's Court)
This tour was where Bowie got connected with Adrian Belew, who IMO adds too many flourishes and ad libs things that don't need to be added. Bowie sings well, but I think they slowed the tempo down a little too much.

Live - 2001 (Tibet House Benefit Concert)
The sound and video quality are awful, but this version replaces guitars with a string section. I have heard better recordings of it and it does come of a little more cultured and high brow than the standard version. Hard to tell in this video, however.

Live - 1983 (Serious Moonlight Tour)
The more I listen to all the different performances for all these songs across the decades, the more I appreciate Earl Slick. It seems like he knows his place and to play true to the original songs and not to upstage Bowie when he is singing. But he also knew to turn things up when he had a designated guitar solo or extended outro. Heroes was "just a song" in the first set . . . whereas the second set was where Bowie and friends seems to open things up more.

Live - 1977 (Marc Bolan Show)
For most of the world, the debut of Heroes before the single or album came out. Bowie made several promotional TV appearances to support the album, usually just him without any visuals of a band performing. This was the first such performance. I don't know if the music was played live or if it was pre-recorded, but it's not the studio version of the song. Each appearance had different music that Bowie sang to, so I can't really tell how they pulled it off each time. Bowie looks incredibly human in 'regular clothes" and could best be described as "looking normal," which for him was rare. Bowie was BFF's with Bolan (some feel he was the person Lady Stardust was based off of), who sadly would pass away a few days later in a car crash.

Live - 2000 (Glastonbury Festival), (Video of the festival)
Bowie rearranged the song for the better when he brought the bassline to the forefront and used the guitar as a dramatic device, adding it in layers and building to a huge crescendo to end the song. IMO, this was the way the song should have been all along. The video footage from the festival shows just how crazy these types of things get with hundreds of thousands of people in attendance. I am guessing the fireworks display did not happen while Bowie was playing, but I wasn't there and thus can't tell. Pretty much any version from the 2000's kicks the older versions in the nads.

Live - 1987 (Berlin Wall)
The performance is ok and nothing spectacular (if not kind of wimpy), but it's historical importance is what makes this performance great. The concert was performed in front of 80,000 people in front of the Berlin Wall, with the enormous Glass Spider stage rig set up outside. However, an untold number of thousands of fans showed up on the OTHER side of the wall. This was where Bowie wrote the song, about the political climate and the symbolism of the wall. After the show, protests and riots flared up in East Berlin. The wall would come down two years later, and even the German government acknowledged that Bowie's performance set things in motion to help unify the city.

Live - 2002 (Berlin), Live - 2002 (Paris), A & E Live By Request - 2002
After 25 years, Bowie had finally discovered what he had in this song. Not using the guitar for the first 2 minutes sets up the big finish. He looks like he is having the time of his life. Being in Berlin, Bowie would go off the board and perform the entire Low album to start the second set, performing 31 songs in total on the evening. Despite being a master of his craft, he would still evolve and learn that Heroes is not an early in the set song. Bowie said over the years Heroes is a b!tch to sing, as it takes a lot of chops to belt out the second half of the song. That's why it usually played early in the show when he hadn't put too much of a strain on his vocal chords. In his later tours, he moved the song to the end of the first set or in the second set and totally played to the crowd. The entire A&E show shows Bowie is actually a decent guy and is very enjoyable.

Live - 2004 (Hurricane Festival), Live - 2004 (Isle of Wight Festival), Live - 2003 (Unknown)
This show proved to be Bowie's swan song, and this was the last Bowie show the world would ever get. If Bowie looks tired and a lot less animated, IT'S BECAUSE HE HAD A HEART ATTACK EARLIER IN THE SHOW. But the show must go on. More has come out that Bowie was in failing health . . . in addition to having terminal liver cancer, he had survived 6 heart attacks. Bowie waived off medical assistance during the Hurricane Festival. How severe Bowie's condition has mostly been kept secret, but bassist Gail Ann Dorsey later admitted that after closing the show with Ziggy Stardust, Bowie collapse leaving the stage and had to be rushed to the hospital. The Isle of Wight performance was from a couple of weeks earlier (and does not have the baggage of almost dying attached to it). The mystery show shows how into it Bowie fans would get (with thousands of arms clapping over their heads in unison).

Live - 1985 (Live Aid)
This performance of Heroes is considered to be his best version ever (which clearly I don't agree as I don't have it at the top of the list). Bowie hadn't toured on 2 years and wouldn't go out on the road again for another 2 years, so he got together a motley crew of musicians that included Thomas Dolby on keyboards. Bowie was one of two acts that stood any chance of following Queen (the other being U2, who had performed earlier in the day). Bowie was interviewed and said he was never as excited to perform than he was for Live Aid. While I like this performance, IMO, offloading the guitar part to keyboards should have been considered sacrilegious. Even now, Dolby tells story of the day he shared the stage with Bowie.

Live - 1996 (Bridge School Benefit)
Of all people, Bowie hung out with Moby in the mid 90s, who convinced Bowie to jam with him on an acoustic version of Heroes. Bowie said he had never performed it that way and gave it a shot initially with Moby. A year or two later, Bowie performed this stripped down version at the Bridge School Benefit, which to me I enjoy far greater than the studio version. It is a completely different interpretation of the song, and Bowie on acoustic guitar, Dorsey on bass and backing vocals, and Gabrels on electric guitar takes the song to another level. Compared to other versions, this one focuses almost entirely on Bowie's vocals and the lyrics shine through. I am guessing not many people have heard this version, as it received no airplay or much publicity.

Live - 2001 (Concert For New York City)
For the reasons I am going to list off here, this is my favorite Bowie performance ever, and it may even be my favorite single live performance by anyone (although I would have to give that a lot more thought). To set things up, Bowie was living in NYC when 9/11 happened, like many other people, Bowie was shaken to the core. He hadn't been all that active for awhile. He had a lengthy tour in 1997 and only made a couple of promotional appearance in 1998. He played 11 shows mixed in with some TV appearances in 1999. He only played 5 times in 2000 (with the biggie being Glastonbury). And he sang a few songs at the Tibet House Benefit (which I listed earlier) in 2001. When the Concert For New York City came along, Bowie was eager to perform but didn't really have a band. He had been laying low and had just started getting some songs written for what would become the Heathen album in 2002. He pulled together some former band members last minute. I believe he had one practice before the show, which also featured Paul Schaffer & The World's Most Dangerous Band as the backing band for most of the performers.

I remember watching the show on TV. The people in New York were about as down in the dumps as people could ever be. Five weeks after the attacks, the rubble was still on fire and a black cloud of soot and ashes still hung over the city. I don't know how they determined the order of the acts, but Bowie led off the festivities, dressed in everyday, everyman wear. Imagine my surprise when the show started with Bowie by himself sitting on his derriere at the edge of the stage . . . playing some type of keyboard but playing America by Simon & Garfunkel (#186 on the list).

With a lot of the crowd filing in and trying to find their seats, Bowie kicked off Heroes. As outlined repeatedly, America has not been all that receptive to his music, and playing in front of a crowd that was emotionally bankrupt. They were spent before the show had even started. The band had not yet played a note, had only run through the song one time, and had to kick off the show in earnest from a cold start. And then they gave us THIS performance.

This is the baseball equivalent of riding across the country crammed in the back of a bus, then walking into the stadium and being asked to pinch hit against Aroldis Chapman without even taking a warmup swing. The result was turning on a 105 mph fastball and hitting it 550 feet. Everything about this performance is just insanely good. As discussed earlier, Bowie had retooled Heroes to start with the bass and then add in the guitar later. But very few people (myself included) knew that, as the only way you would have known was if you went to one of his 5 shows the year before.

In watching the show, I saw some familiar faces in terms of prior Bowie musicians . . . but I can't tell who the guitar player is. It doesn't look like Slick (unless he cut his hair and wore a suit) or Leonard, who were the most likely options in that timeframe. I am guessing it is Page Hamilton, who played lead on the 1999 tour. The guy with the headband is Mark Plati. In any event, from the opening bassline, the build up, the explosion at the end, the false ending, the huge crescendo, the drummer getting into it, the whole thing just works. The show went on for five and a half hours, and every other performer was playing for 2nd place. It was voted one of the Top 10 greatest moments in Madison Square Garden history. Of course, if Bowie were alive and they organized a concert to celebrate healthcare professionals instead of first responders in NYC, Bowie would be first in line to volunteer to do it all over again.

Well, I wasn't planning on typing 2,200 words to review one song . . . but that's how things turned out.

I like Heroes, but it’s a tough one for me as the studio version sounds like a rough draft, like the song was still a work in progress. It probably doesn’t help that the first time I heard the song was when he performed it at the Freddie Mercury tribute concert, and when I finally heard the original years later, I was majorly underwhelmed. It’s probably a mental block I’ll never get past. That said, I know it’s a hugely popular song with his fans, so it being number 1 here makes sense. 

I like Heroes, but it’s a tough one for me as the studio version sounds like a rough draft, like the song was still a work in progress. It probably doesn’t help that the first time I heard the song was when he performed it at the Freddie Mercury tribute concert, and when I finally heard the original years later, I was majorly underwhelmed. It’s probably a mental block I’ll never get past. That said, I know it’s a hugely popular song with his fans, so it being number 1 here makes sense. 
I'm like that with most songs where I hear the live version first. Studio never sounds right after that.

Did I overlook it or did The Secret Life of Arabia not make this top 200?? 😲
Yeah, I guess. Songs 101-200 were mostly a listing of songs. Songs 1-100 were my favorite songs ranked. If you want to insert Arabia for anything with 3 digits, have at it. I personally would not put it in my Top 100. To me, it's too disco-y. The production is good, but the drum beat, bassline, and clapping makes me think John Travolta dancing from Saturday Night Fever (which came out at the same time as the album did). To each his own.

I mostly agree with this. I don’t really listen to the studio version much anymore. Some of the live versions bring the thunder and drop the avant-guard stuff and it’s a full out rock song. 

#39 - David Bowie - Golden Years (Station To Station - 1976),

#34 - David Bowie - Fame (Young Americans - 1975),
these too low is my only quibble. but then you werent around to understand what a breath of fresh air the hits of Bowie's slick era were on the radio then

#26 - David Bowie - Blue Jean (Tonight - 1984), (Extended Version - 1984), (Jazzin' For Blue Jean Video - 1984), (MTV VMA Video - 1984), (Live - 1987), (Live - 1990), (Live - 2004)
Covers: David Fonseca & Catarina Salinas, Electric Six, Papercranes, Wildlife, Ameritz, Gallery Of Fear, Example 2, Robbie Nichols, ACME Music TrioThe HotsEcho BowieMick GazeChevy MetalScott EricksonSweet Little BandPiano SuperstarFlies On The Square EggRed AppendixTribute Stars

Sure, Bowie has many songs that are better than this one . . . plenty of the songs we have already covered are BETTER songs. But as I have been saying all along, some songs have a sense of attachment baked into them, and this is one of those songs for me. I got into Bowie starting with Let's Dance. I started exploring his back catalog from there, but this was the first NEW BOWIE album I could say I ever purchased. By the time I bought the Let's Dance album, it had been out a while. I had been to one of the Serious Moonlight shows and bought the Tonight album the day it dropped. I remember going to an independent record store to buy the vinyl album just before the new school year started. (What was the last vinyl album you bought? That's a candidate for a new topic.) It was either there or Sam Goody's (anyone remember that chain . . . it eventually got bought out by Best Buy).

I had a discussion with the shop owner, who was also a Bowie fan. She showed me an awesome picture she took from the front row of the same show I had gone to (which she had blown up poster size). She encouraged me to buy the Ziggy Stardust The Motion Picture soundtrack (which was relatively new to the market 10 years after the fact). Good times.

Anyway, Blue Jean is one of those guilty pleasures for me. Not yet owning a ton of DB albums, I played Tonight a ton while studying and doing homework. Bowie brought back most of the crew from the Let's Dance album and tour (just not SRV or Earl Slick). Carlos Alomar was back (played on all albums from Young Americans to Scary Monsters and on the Serious Moonlight Tour). Omar Hakim was back on drums and Carmine Rojas back on bass. The horn section also returned. 

One critic described the song as "clever" and "catchy" and one of Bowie's "best second-rate hits." That all applies. No one would put this song in the Hall of Fame. Maybe not even in the Hall of Very Good. But it goes in my Hall of Good Memories. Back when we were still allowed to go out places, I heard this one regularly at stores, malls, the dentist, on the radio, etc.

Bowie made a 20+ minute short film for the song, for which Bowie won a Grammy. Oddly enough, that turned out to be the only Grammy Award Bowie would ever earn while he was still alive (in the "Best Video, Short Form" category). Apparently none of his songs over a 40 year career were Grammy worthy (until the very end).

Blue Jean was on the regular set list in 1987 and 1990. It made a few appearances on the 2004 tour as well.
soooo glad this was ranked pretty high. my guilty pleasure of all the Bowie's. my life was just getting too dense to pay much attention to music in that time except for rotting in front of MTV at the end of the day. the short film you address was made for MTV and its premiere on the network was pimped more than any vid not made by Michael Jackson. luv it

Thank you for doing this, Anarchy. Wonderful blend of popular and meaningful and the most thorough rendering, esp historywise, of the threads of this kind. I saved my reading of the Top 40 til it was complete so my accumulated likes & loves might send you to the top of the daily rankings for your efforts. Hoping others will pitch in. Great stuff, lotsa fun, thx again -

wikkidpissah said:
these too low is my only quibble. but then you werent around to understand what a breath of fresh air the hits of Bowie's slick era were on the radio then
I had a bunch of older siblings, and I vividly remember Fame getting played a ton on the radio when I was a kid. It definitely sounded different than the other more traditional radio offerings from the time period. I am pretty sure somewhere in my basement I still have a cassette I made from the 70s when I taped songs off the radio and Fame was on it. My brother was big on Elton John and John Lennon, so he used to listen to Fame whenever it came on the radio. Where I lived, Golden Years did not get anywhere near the fanfare or airplay as Fame. It seemed like DJ's made a big deal about Fame and barely said a peep about Golden Years.

Enjoyed following along, discovered some songs new to me I liked - thanks @Anarchy99   :thumbup:
Glad you found some songs you liked . . . hopefully you didn't have too many you didn't like.

Folks should feel free to post their personal Top 10 lists (or longer if you feel motivated to put that much effort into it).

Anarchy99 said:
Yeah, I guess. Songs 101-200 were mostly a listing of songs. Songs 1-100 were my favorite songs ranked. If you want to insert Arabia for anything with 3 digits, have at it. I personally would not put it in my Top 100. To me, it's too disco-y. The production is good, but the drum beat, bassline, and clapping makes me think John Travolta dancing from Saturday Night Fever (which came out at the same time as the album did). To each his own.
Good music comes in many shapes and sizes. But, like you said, to each their own. 

Glad you found some songs you liked . . . hopefully you didn't have too many you didn't like.

Folks should feel free to post their personal Top 10 lists (or longer if you feel motivated to put that much effort into it).
Yep, great job with this thread. :cool:  

I’ll give a top 10 or 20 some thought and post it later. 

This is me spitballing a top 20...

1. Space Oddity
2. Starman
3. Let's Dance
4. Lady Stardust
5. Life On Mars?
6. Ziggy Stardust
7. Blackstar
8. Drive-In Saturday
9. Moonage Daydream
10. China Girl
11. Queen #####
12. I'm Deranged
13. The Jean Genie
14. Sweet Thing/Candidate/Sweet Thing (reprise)
15. Suffragette City
16. Always Crashing in the Same Car
17. Watch That Man
18. Golden Years
19. Sound and Vision
20. Soul Love

This list would probably look a lot different if I did it tomorrow. 

This is me spitballing a top 20...

1. Space Oddity
2. Starman
3. Let's Dance
4. Lady Stardust
5. Life On Mars?
6. Ziggy Stardust
7. Blackstar
8. Drive-In Saturday
9. Moonage Daydream
10. China Girl
11. Queen #####
12. I'm Deranged
13. The Jean Genie
14. Sweet Thing/Candidate/Sweet Thing (reprise)
15. Suffragette City
16. Always Crashing in the Same Car
17. Watch That Man
18. Golden Years
19. Sound and Vision
20. Soul Love

This list would probably look a lot different if I did it tomorrow. 
My top 10 is probably within those 20. I'll throw in Absolute Beginners and make it go to 11.

golden years is brandy good so i think you done messed up a a ron take that to the bank bromigos 

These kind of got buried and were posted after the fact. Did anyone listen to these versions of Heroes?
Did the Anti-Heroes camp like them any better than the studio version? Still not moving the needle any?
i need the sonic existentialsim of the Eno/Fripp/Visconti production - it's just a nice song without it. and i HATE "Heroes" being anthemically mistaken like Cohen's "Hallelujah", whether it's to make some unlucky children feel good or to be whored out to Walmart

These kind of got buried and were posted after the fact. Did anyone listen to these versions of Heroes?
Did the Anti-Heroes camp like them any better than the studio version? Still not moving the needle any?
Not sure who is considered part of the anti-Heroes camp (did anyone say they didn't like it??), but I didn't care for either of those versions. The song needs that swirling lead guitar.  Without it, it just feels like a slightly catchy song that is missing something.

Users who are viewing this thread