What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Top 100 Heavy Metal and glam rock acts from the MTV era - it's still real to me (1 Viewer)

Love 10, Vs., really like Yield, that's pretty much it for me with PJ. But I did get to meet Mike McCready briefly at the Sea Hear Now festival a few years ago. He was at an art gallery where some of this stuff was displayed and I shook his hand and thanked him for his music. Seemed pretty cool. 

Would love to hear some thoughts on people's favorite opening riff of the 80's glam/metal scene. 

My vote would probably be Lay it Down by Ratt (Unchained by VH would win but that album dropped just before MTV was launched?) 

Thats hard as there's a few I loved and I can't remember the song I really liked but it wasn't a popular song. It was a pretty underrated song from one of the big name bands. 

I have seen a lot of these bands in concert but I'm only going to comment on the top 2. 

Metallica - They sounded absolutely amazing but the crowd was mostly a bunch of angry men. 

Motley Crue - I was still a teenager when I saw them in 87. GNR opened up for them and they were pretty awesome, even though most had no idea who they were. When Crue came on, the whole vibe changed.  I saw more boobies that night than I had in my life that night. They put on an amazing show too. This was my first rock concert and I was hooked. I knew then that I needed to be a rock star! 

Are you sure this wasn't the main reason you wanted to be a rock star....

My thoughts after reading this whole awesome thread.

Saigon Kick was fantastic live and still get regular play from me.  Dangerous Toys, Junkyard, Bang Tango and Kix all take me back to some great nights with great friends.  My first concert was Poison, Trixter and slaughter.  Magical night full of boobs, beer and other assorted debauchery.  My second concert was Black Sabbath (Dio) and Danzig at the now defunct Hera arena in Dayton.  Very different nights but that era of music will always be special.

Metallica’s early albums, Slayer, Megadeth etc.. hard to believe this all existed during one musical time period.

My personal preference would have Queensryche and Tesla higher.  Cinderella would be in my Top 10.  Dio is one of the greatest rock voices that will ever exist.  Crue at 1 is a given.  To this day, I love almost all types of music but this era brought so much greatness that I don’t know if it will ever be topped.  Thanks for the trip down memory lane.
Great to see QR get the love they deserve in this thread.

We will never agree on the ranking of these bands and it doesn’t really matter.   I just went back to the first post and looked at the list of bands.  Plinko put together an impressive list of bands from a magical time in R & R music.   Those days were incredible.   There were monster albums released every month.   Some great bands got left behind not due to lack of talent.   There was only so much room to digest all the music.   

Yacht Rock is the greatest station (Sirius XM) in the history of stations, and that's a hill I'm willing to die on.

P.S. People ripping on Pearl Jam are insane. 
Funny.....I feel the exact same way about people ripping on Rush. 

Different strokes for different folks. 

I like PJ's first 3 records alot, the next 3 have their moments and never listened to any after Riot Act. They are a great live band-have seen them 3 times. Before one of the shows(Yield?) I did some shrooms and dont remeber much other than 1 thing from it. EV had some guy on stage knell down in front of him. I thought he was giving him a BJ but apparently he just shaved the kids head,lol.

Thanks @plinko as others have mentioned, this has been a great walk down memory lane. Will not quibble at all with the list and would only modify the top 5 slightly from what you have.

Two that I was hoping to see were Spinal Tap and Kick Axe.  Sure Spinal Tap only had one album and it was all part of the gag, but that was one fine album. Kick Axe didn’t do too much either but they were on the Canadian metal scene during this time and opened for a lot of these bands on the Canadian leg of their tours during the heyday and could rock as hard as many of those listed on the back half of this list.

Appreciate the time and effort!

Love the list and thanks for putting it together, lots of work there!

I haven't read through all 39 pages so I don't know if anyone mentioned this band or not but Fastway's debut, self titled album was one of my favorites from back in the day.  They have a terribly interesting story, part of the British Metal invasion from the early 80's.  I'm ashamed to say I lost track of them after their debut album.  I won't rehash what what already written but I think it's worth 10 or 15 minutes of your time to read about their history, where they came from, etc.   Here's a wiki article about Fastway and here's more about their lead guitarist "Fast" Eddie Clark who sadly passed on a few years ago.

You may recall these two  :

Say What You Will

Easy Livin'

Last edited by a moderator:
No.. should they have? I can tack em on the playlist 

If you are going by just the 80s decade no as debut album was in the 90s but in terms of very good bands and underrated lead singer yes and I think they had some play on MTV. Miljenko Matijevic provided the singing vocals for Mark Wahlberg in Rock Star movie and several of Stealhearts songs are in the film. 

It was the whole scene. I imagine after the show was just like it was in the movie "Rock Star." Speaking of which, where was Steel Dragon on this countdown? 

Steel Dragon was essentially Steelheart Most of the songs original ones were by them and Miljenko Matijevic their lead singer was Wahlberg's singing voice in the film 

UncleZen said:
Metallica - They sounded absolutely amazing but the crowd was mostly a bunch of angry men. 
I saw Metallica once, on the Black Album tour.  My brother was a college hockey player at the time, and he and his old hockey buddies joined up and I tagged along.  We had seats somewhere up in the bowl, but the instant the lights came on, the pack of hockey players formed a wedge and just bulled their way up to the front edge of the stage.  I was a wiener - I had no idea they were doing that (I don't think they did either) and played kick returner for about half the floor, then faded out and watched from there.

Great concert - they played all the songs I wanted, but unfortunately did some kind of medley of a bunch of the Justice songs.  It was a great mix of sounding really clean but also having fun doing it. 

I'm pretty sure I can see my brother in a crowd shot in the Wherever I May Roam video.  He ended up with some random girl on his shoulders for a lot of the concert, though she isn't on his shoulders for that shot.

We had an icebreaker for a work meeting where we were asked what concert at any point in history we would want to attend.  The old crusty farts in my group all wanted classic rock stuff from the dark ages.  I went with the first concert I took my kids to (Awolnation and Fall Out Boy) just because it was cool to watch them experience that.  But I wish I had thought of the time Dream Theater played the entire Master of Puppets album as a complete surprise in Barcelona.

Not involved but Kupp MVP sounds about right to me :shrug:  

I had figured that after this cathartic exercise I'd be ready to move on to other things, like recent stuff (decidedly non-metal faves like Spoon, Bartees Strange, Oceanator all have new material).  But I've been partying down to the METAL MASSACRE compilations all week

Known for spotlighting new acts back in the day, like early Metallica with squeaky James..., Ratt, Slayer, Armored Saint, Overkill, but it's the total unknowns that I love.  I blame this mindset on the BROWN ACID compilations which are streaming and I cannot recommend enough if you're into classic rock and hearing #### you never heard before.  45's by amateur bands that never got to full album level.  You might be surprised how many of these tracks you like.

Bonus - the Brown Acid peeps just released an 80s metal comp called Scrap Metal, I tossed a couple tracks onto my 100 playlist...

A report back after attending the M3 FESTIVAL at Merriweather this weekend.  

Most links will be recent live performances I can find on youtube (or old videos we never saw)

Lawn seats, and the weather sucked, which is a bummer. Not a new situation for this annual event held in Columbia, MD, on Mothers Day weekend.  Bust out those tight shiny pants, ladies.  Anyway, we know how to protect ourselves and handle this slop.  And luckily, at least on the first two rainy days, they were pretty loose with bag restrictions.

Just the lady and I went on night 1 Friday.  Rolled in late because we (I) only cared about Doro and Kix.  Rolled in on a soaked empty lawn save for about 20 diehards.  Down under cover in the seats, it was fairly well attended, maybe about half capacity every day.  It didn't really soak in how sad it all was, quite yet, as we huddled into our chairs with our ponchos and watched LIZZIE BORDEN finish up their set.  Remember these dudes?  We might have mentioned here but not linked.  Not somebody I'd have figured I'd be huddled in the rain for in 2022.  Imagine that guy 35 years later, and you were there.

Doro was awesome, what can I say, fun show, says a lot of metal cliches like DEVIL HORNS, but like lady Ah-nold

KIX was fine, their fame is a local phenomenon and where else can you go to hear a full crowd sing along to " I'VE GOT THA ITCH, I'VE GOT IT, I'VE GOT THA ITCH, I'VE GOT IT " for five minutes?

You've got the bangs, even still, and your cokey banter is pretty funny.  Can still hit the right notes and put on a fun show..

more from me later.. Saturday guest starring @fatguyinalittlecoat and @scorchy 

and even later than that, Sunday, starring my kids, clearer skies and better bands.  Well, more bands.

Why did this happen? Because I just turned 50 and we had to do something

I'd say I didn't want to create a super spreader event but I don't know enough people for that anyway.   Didn't really want a big deal though.  On its face, grabbing a bunch of lawn seats for M3 and seeing who we could get to show up seemed like a great idea.  But the weather is fickle, so yeah we couldn't even act surprised that it turned out ####.

My Pac sun born and bred life partner is still taking her lumps with our unpredictable climate here

https://youtu.be/BcU2tnNMxmE Not your father's Tony Bennett!  We watched what, three hours of this guy?

Saturday, what a mess, we had to pick our battles because of the wet and cold, and the fact that largely the first 3-4 acts each day were, well, not necessarily worth seeing even in the sunshine

Flash back to Friday, we find out that Extreme has cancelled due to positive tests.  Didn't realize how much at the time, but this put a big damper on Day 2, no pun intended.

I figured they are going to get somebody to fill that spot, and wondered who.. turned out it was Enuff Z'Nuff and they had them kick Day 2 off at 12:00 pm.  I was still at home drinking my coffee.. would have enjoyed them in the sunshine!

Chicago band but those guys must live pretty close, NYC I'm guessing.

Also playing early on Saturday while I was home still in pajamas, VAIN. @rockaction  I was sorry to miss this but had to for the greater good.

We had planned to get there at 4:00, so that we could see -- Steven Pearcy (Ratt), Blue Oyster Cult, fn Extreme or whatever, and maybe if we could hang, headliner Tom Kiefer (Cinderella)

Because of the schedule shift, we were subjected to a full set by Tony Harnell, the voice of TNT.  And his induction into the  Metal Hall Of Fame.  He even got a trophy.  I know zero of their songs, and this crap is the only thing I know. 

Some days later, Steven Pearcy came out with his band of rapscallions, they sounded markedly worse than Tony but it was still a nice change to hear something we (I) knew.  

WE WERE GETTING GOOD AND LIT THOUGH, well fatguy and I were, and our friend Kristen got herself good and sideways on fg's edibles, these are the three friends I have left in the world and they all showed up 🥰

Pearcy came and went, we got to do some BODY TALK.  The place was dead.  The weather was bad.  We lost half our team after Pearcy, but a few of us got to enjoy about half the BOC set, highlighted by BURNIN FOR YOU

A Merriweather employee photobombed us then asked if we wanted to go down under cover.  We were spent though, and left.  Blame it on the rain, that was falling falling.  Tom Kiefer, I am sorry, I love you raspy man. 

Because of the schedule shift, we were subjected to a full set by Tony Harnell, the voice of TNT.  And his induction into the  Metal Hall Of Fame.  He even got a trophy.  I know zero of their songs, and this crap is the only thing I know. 
Tony Harnell - "Here's one I know you all remember!!!"  No, Tony, no we don't.

We lost half our team after Pearcy, but a few of us got to enjoy about half the BOC set, highlighted by BURNIN FOR You
After scorchy left:

Plinko: How long we gonna stay?

fatguy: Until we hear TWO songs that I know from Blue Oyster Cult.

Plinko: Agreed!

[listen to the first four or so songs of the set none of which are recognizable]

fatguy: OK, maybe just ONE song!

[more waiting, Plinko goes to the bathroom]

Plinko’s lady: How about we leave as soon as he gets back from the bathroom?

fatguy: Deal!

[Plinko comes back with full beer and giant Italian sausage, can’t leave right away… and then, I’M BURNING FOR YOU.  Wooooo!]

Then we left.

Looking back, I bet we could have bartered our way under cover from the get go.  It wouldn't have occurred to me before that girl came up to us.  

Also...  Extreme would have been really good.  Nuno!  Bummer.  Day 2 was a weak lineup.  It's no surprise they were trying to get people inside just to pad the numbers for the performers

Guys like Stryper and Yngwie on Sunday were pretty excellent and it made me miss what we might have gotten from Extreme..

As for BOC

Sounded great, did not move around much, no surprise there

Apparently they played Godzilla right before the final song Reaper

I was surprised, folks (all three of you reading this who weren't there) to find that none of my fellow guests know the killer cut Godmotherfukkinzilla

Good thing I don't know anybody who uses that moniker or I would say that guy should have stayed 

(as for me I was ready for a warm house and a fancy cocktail)

Sunday, it was pretty chilly, overcast but mostly dry.

We got there on time for the first act and stayed until ALMOST the end.. Sorry Tesla, we enjoyed you three short years ago - what's happened since? nothing - and it was time to sack out.

I won't break it down but some general Randons Shart style observations

- I lied when I said Yngwie was excellent.  Yngwie shredded real good for an hour but Yngwie sounded like crap, worst sound of the event.  From the extra wall of Marshall amps they rolled in for him, I'd say he was going for volume, but somebody didn't know what they were doing.  

- Stryper sounded good.  I don't like Michael Sweet, but I was impressed that he could shred, and credit for a few good cracks, one about how Oz Fox used to look like Donna Summer.  Oz looks more like Tony Iommi now.

- I never paid much mind to XYZ or the Quireboys, but I'd pay small show money see either one again.  Northern Ireland's Quireboys have the Black Crowes sound we've talked about a few times

- Skid Row. - here it is , a video from yesterday -   The new singer crushed the Bach stuff.  Saddens me to know SB is still out there pining to make something work.  The Skids aren't having it.  Not my battle.  Sounded great.  

@zamboni

ZEBRA stole the show.  I would see those old dudes again in a heartbeat.  No #### .. awesome set, we all loved it.

Some really good bands on that list. Love the Quireboys, they have had a pretty good career across the pond.  Zebra's great, and would have enjoyed Stephen Pearcy I'm sure as well as BOC.. Great stuff. 

I’m back on my bullship, at the M3, nice weather this year, gonna burn to a crisp

Today’s lineup features six from our list here, plus STYX at the top of the bill

I already broke my metal voice making fun of Britny Fox right when we got here

Quiet Riot with Rudy Sarzo, Jizzy Pearl and a couple of whodats in tow. Fun enough though.

Lita rocking it rfn!!!! Sounds great… louder than QR.. my man Bobby Rock on the sticks

Triple banger still to come —- slaughter - winger - extreme

Users who are viewing this thread