What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tom "Freakin" Brady- Fastest to 100 wins! (1 Viewer)

AngryPatriot

Footballguy
Tom Brady is the fastest quarterback to 100 wins (131 games.) Montana 139, Bradshaw 147....

This guy is back

He's so good Gruden wants to BE HIM, he's so good I want to be Gisselle Bundchen! Yes, the child would be a Woodhead Gollum type creature but who cares. PROPS to Brady tonight. What a pleasure to watch this guy play. Not a great "stat" game which we all love so much but he managed the game with the usual subtle mastery and his accuracy was impeccable. Haters will hate but that's an impressive stat for one of the top 3 qb's to ever lace them up. Patriots will continue to improve.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tom Brady is the fastest quarterback to 100 wins (131 games.) Montana 139, Bradshaw 147....

This guy is back

He's so good Gruden wants to BE HIM, he's so good I want to be Gisselle Bundchen! Yes, the child would be a Woodhead Gollum type creature but who cares. PROPS to Brady tonight. Not a great "stat" game which we all love so much but he managed the game with the usual subtle mastery and his accuracy was impeccable. Haters will hate but that's an impressive stat for one of the top 3 qb's to ever lace them up. Patriots will continue to improve.
Imagine if he was still cheating!

He should thank patrick chung and chad henne for the win. 150yds 1 td and steve young is raving about this performance on the post game, brady did nothing

He should thank patrick chung and chad henne for the win. 150yds 1 td and steve young is raving about this performance on the post game, brady did nothing
He made zero mistakes.
Same could be said about Trent Dilfer, more or less..Don't get me wrong, Kudos to Brady.

But TV hype gets ridiculous at times...
You aren't really comparing Brady to Dilfer are you?There is a middle ground you know.

And while I don't think this game was one of Brady's best you do need to take into consideration that the NE offense wasn't on thefield all that much due all the D/ST scoring and short fields

He made zero mistakes.
Same could be said about Trent Dilfer, more or less..Don't get me wrong, Kudos to Brady.

But TV hype gets ridiculous at times...
Interesting. I just got home as a disappointed Dolpins fan from tonight's game. I think the opposite. I think Dolphins are trying to be the Dilfer/Ravens team. I so tired of never seeing a play more than 10 yards and having a wannabe top 3 defense. Urgh....

The fact that Bradshaw is in the top 3 tells you all you need to know about QBs and win % - that they correlation as an indication of QB ability is virtually non-exsistant. Bradshaw wouldn't be in the top 20 QBs of all time, if you were using any criteria that actually involved QB play (possibly not even top 50). Using win % as an indication of QB eptitude is even more proposterous than using it as an indication of a pitcher's ability in baseball. QBs, while one of the (if not the) most important position on a football team, still only play on offense. Defense, special teams and numerous other factors make up a win or loss in the NFL.

The fact that Bradshaw is in the top 3 tells you all you need to know about QBs and win % - that they correlation as an indication of QB ability is virtually non-exsistant. Bradshaw wouldn't be in the top 20 QBs of all time, if you were using any criteria that actually involved QB play (possibly not even top 50).
Not true. Brady would have never survived the 70s. Brady would have been dismembered and had his limbs buried under the 4 endzone pylons.

The fact that Bradshaw is in the top 3 tells you all you need to know about QBs and win % - that they correlation as an indication of QB ability is virtually non-exsistant. Bradshaw wouldn't be in the top 20 QBs of all time, if you were using any criteria that actually involved QB play (possibly not even top 50).
Not true. Brady would have never survived the 70s. Brady would have been dismembered and had his limbs buried under the 4 endzone pylons.
Brady's hair would have fit in quite well.

:lol: He played smart and made no mistakes. If he throws a pick-6 before halftime with Miami already having the lead Id bet this game turns out very different. Maybe at the very least its alot closer as MIA plays with more emotion and the Pats with less..? thought Henne played pretty good and 2 of the 3 INT's were not his fault, 1 was Marshalls fault on a bad route and the other bounced off Hartlines chest. He had 300yds and 2TD's.. Back to Brady I really dont understand the hate? Maybe has more to do with envy(Giselle) than football.

and he did credit the rest of his team, although I think 19/24 for 1 td and 0 picks is pretty good considering it was the aforementioned pat chung and brandon tate that cost him nearly half his stat producing drives --- if you're all about yardage.CONGRATS ON 100!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!GREATEST QB IN THE HISTORY OF FOREVER!!!!!!!!

The fact that Bradshaw is in the top 3 tells you all you need to know about QBs and win % - that they correlation as an indication of QB ability is virtually non-exsistant. Bradshaw wouldn't be in the top 20 QBs of all time, if you were using any criteria that actually involved QB play (possibly not even top 50). Using win % as an indication of QB eptitude is even more proposterous than using it as an indication of a pitcher's ability in baseball. QBs, while one of the (if not the) most important position on a football team, still only play on offense. Defense, special teams and numerous other factors make up a win or loss in the NFL.
I couldn't disagree more.Basically the opposite of your argument is why Dan Marino was great to me. I don't recall too many seasons with a great D, ST or a solid run game. He didn't win a Supe but he won plenty of games.

How about them Rams in 2010?

What was the Colts record before Manning?

Bills before AND after Jim Kelly?

There are a slew of examples of QBs tremendous impact on the game including a team's win %

:no: :bowtie: :scared: :) :) :goodposting:

I couldn't disagree more.Basically the opposite of your argument is why Dan Marino was great to me. I don't recall too many seasons with a great D, ST or a solid run game. He didn't win a Supe but he won plenty of games.

There are a slew of examples of QBs tremendous impact on the game including a team's win %
First off, the QBs you mentioned (Marino, Kelly, Manning) are good when you look at other stats too. Wins is just one stat and not necessarily indicitive of anything in regards to the QB. Do QBs have impact on wins? Sure. But there are far better stats that truly indicate a QBs talent and skill level. Ironically, I agree that Marino was great and doesn't get enough credit - in large part because he wasn't able to "win" his team a Superbowl (or many playoff games for that matter). But there were simply too many things beyond his control to lay that at his feet...which is my point exactly.

People hating on Tom Brady are out of their minds. Sure, he didn't put up 13 touchdowns tonight but 100 wins in 131 games is amazing. Congrats to him and the Pats.

The guy is a winner.

The guy is a winner.
I'd like to add another phrase to the "most overused cliches in sports" thread.Terry Bradshaw and Trent Dilfer are winners too. But by some people's bizarre criteria, Dan Marino is not though. Oh and Walter Payton wasn't a winner until 1985.I'm going to go throw up now.

A ton of players in addition the QB changed on those teams you mentioned, why do you give almost all the credit to the QB.And Superbowls are terrible as a sole indicator of an team's ability, much less an individual player on that team. If Tracy Porter slips, Peyton Manning is considered by most the best QB of all time, but because he didn't, Peyton Manning can't win big game. Because the refs/league hates the Raiders and screws up a fumble call in the New England snow, does that make Tom Brady a better QB because has an extra Superbowl on his resume. Likewise, if David Tyree doesn't fluke some ridiculous catch is Tom Brady a better QB?

Likewise, I kept hearing many analyst say that "you gotta put Drew Brees in the P. Manning-Brady class of QBs now that he won the Superbowl," and that is totally ridiculous and lazy. Brees has been playing as well as those guys since 2006 and should have been considered in that class. Brees' play has been the same, the fact that the balls bounced the right way (or out of the Vikings hands) didn't suddenly make him better.

Won't go down as best ever but congrats on winning 100 !!
Its there for Manning to take if he can get a couple more rings. But I dont believe that will happen until a better Dungy replacement is found. The defense is getting worse.
More to being a great QB than winning rings. It takes a great team to win the ring. Terry Bradshaw won 4.
I dont disagree. My comment had to do with the court of public opinion in establishing best qb of all time. right now its montana. what's needed is (a) rings, and (b) talent. bradshaw isnt perceived as having the talent of montana. marino doesnt have montana's rings (but a case could be made that he was the better qb).

Try and name one player that Gruden doesn't love. I mean just one.
:thumbdown: He has quickly morphed into a cliche-ridden suckup.

Everyone is great. Everyone is "that guy". Everyone is someone he loves.

Also, how does Gruden and Jaws state that the Pats are such a great second half team? Before yesterday's game, they had sucked for the last year in the second halfs.

Sucked.

nxmehta said:
People hating on Tom Brady are out of their minds. Sure, he didn't put up 13 touchdowns tonight but 100 wins in 131 games is amazing. Congrats to him and the Pats.The guy is a winner.
Congrats to the Pats on their run of being a great team ... But let's be honest and realize that Brady was not the main reason the Pats won those games. Just like last night.

Its there for Manning to take if he can get a couple more rings. But I dont believe that will happen until a better Dungy replacement is found. The defense is getting worse.
More to being a great QB than winning rings. It takes a great team to win the ring. Terry Bradshaw won 4.
Manning has had great teams since 1999.

You mean offenses... Manning has rarely had great "teams" which also consist of defenses and special teams.

Ok, we know where this is going, if not already there..............Absolutely there is more to being a great QB than winning rings, but helping your team win the game is a QBs PRIMARY goal (IE. more important above all else); is it not?

And of course there is more to being a great QB than lots of passing yards or passing tds.

What I don't get is the hypocrisy of the people who whine that Brady's wins are a team thing, of course they are in part. However, these same people want to claim that Peyton Mannings stats are all about himself. Apparently Manning has the unique ability to Own and GM the team, he Coaches, Blocks, Runs, Catches, Throws and Tackles all by himself. All of the above factors are a huge part of any players success.

You can't have it both ways, if you feel that Brady's succes with winning is do in large part to having great D's behind him, you can't then turn around and say Mannings statistical success is mostly individual. Manning might have gone to more SBs had the team not been focused on him and his offense from day one. However, had the team not been so focused on him he obviously wouldn't have nearly the statistics that he does. Is this not obviously true?

Put Manning in NE, outdoors in the NorthEast, on a team more focused on D than O and no way Manning puts up the passing stats that he has; however he just might have a few SB rings. Put Brady in a Dome, center the team around him and a passing offense and his passing stats would be outstanding (see 2007), but he might not have 3 SB rings.

Manning is a machine and obviously one of the greatest QBs ever to play no matter how many SBs he wins. Tom Brady may have gotten there a different way and for different reasons, but he is most certainly in the same category. We are blessed to see 2 of the best ever to play in the primes of their career. Maybe when it is all said and done there will be a clear winner as to who the better (greater) QB is; maybe not :goodposting:

Ok, we know where this is going, if not already there..............Absolutely there is more to being a great QB than winning rings, but helping your team win the game is a QBs PRIMARY goal (IE. more important above all else); is it not?

And of course there is more to being a great QB than lots of passing yards or passing tds.

What I don't get is the hypocrisy of the people who whine that Brady's wins are a team thing, of course they are in part. However, these same people want to claim that Peyton Mannings stats are all about himself. Apparently Manning has the unique ability to Own and GM the team, he Coaches, Blocks, Runs, Catches, Throws and Tackles all by himself. All of the above factors are a huge part of any players success.

You can't have it both ways, if you feel that Brady's succes with winning is do in large part to having great D's behind him, you can't then turn around and say Mannings statistical success is mostly individual. Manning might have gone to more SBs had the team not been focused on him and his offense from day one. However, had the team not been so focused on him he obviously wouldn't have nearly the statistics that he does. Is this not obviously true?

Put Manning in NE, outdoors in the NorthEast, on a team more focused on D than O and no way Manning puts up the passing stats that he has; however he just might have a few SB rings. Put Brady in a Dome, center the team around him and a passing offense and his passing stats would be outstanding (see 2007), but he might not have 3 SB rings.

Manning is a machine and obviously one of the greatest QBs ever to play no matter how many SBs he wins. Tom Brady may have gotten there a different way and for different reasons, but he is most certainly in the same category. We are blessed to see 2 of the best ever to play in the primes of their career. Maybe when it is all said and done there will be a clear winner as to who the better (greater) QB is; maybe not :(
:sadbanana:

You mean offenses... Manning has rarely had great "teams" which also consist of defenses and special teams.
How many of Manning's playoff teams can you blame the defense for and how many can you blame on his ineffectiveness in the playoffs?

DoubleG said:
AngryPatriot said:
very :confused:

:own3d:

How many of Manning's playoff teams can you blame the defense for and how many can you blame on his ineffectiveness in the playoffs?
Well now, let's break it down:1999: The Colts lost at home in the divisional round to the Titans by a score of 19-16. The Titans ranked 17th in total defense that year. 2000: The Colts lost on the road in the first round to the Dolphins by a score of 23-17. The Dolphins ranked 6th in total defense that year.2002: The Colts lost on the road in the first round to the Jets by a score of 41-0. The Jets ranked 15th in total defense that year. 2003: The Colts lost on the road in the AFC title game to the Patriots by a score of 24-14. The Patriots ranked 7th in total defense that year. 2004: The Colts lost on the road in the divisional round to the Patriots by a score of 20-3. The Patriots ranked 9th in total defense that year. It is notable that that playoff loss took place in very snowy conditions. 2005: The Colts lost at home in the divisional round to the Steelers by a score of 21-18. The Steelers ranked 4th in total defense that year. 2006: The Colts won the Super Bowl. Manning threw 3 touchdowns and 8 interceptions in their four playoff games. The defense carried them for most of the playoffs, except for the AFC title game, where Manning was utterly brilliant in bringing them back from an 18-point deficit for the win. 2007: The Colts lost at home in the divisional round to the Chargers by a score of 28-24. The Chargers ranked 14th in total defense that year. 2008: The Colts lost on the road in the first round to the Chargers by a score of 23-17. The Chargers ranked 25th in total defense that year. 2009: The Colts lost in the Super Bowl to the Saints by a score of 31-17 (7 of NO's points were off of a pick-6). The Saints ranked 19th in total defense that year.So, basically, in Manning's 9 playoff losses, the offense has averaged 14 points per game. 14. That's it. And the average ranking of the defenses they have faced is 13th. Feel free to draw your own conclusions from these numbers.And the defense really only played poorly in two of those games: the losses to the Jets in '02 and the Chargers in '07.

I am betting a lot of people knocking Bradshaw never saw him play. Too many people base their opinion on stats which often don't tell the whole story, especially when comparing players from different eras.

The ONLY stat that matters is wins and championships. Brady and Bradshaw deserve to be considered among the best quarterbacks of all time.

I am betting a lot of people knocking Bradshaw never saw him play. Too many people base their opinion on stats which often don't tell the whole story, especially when comparing players from different eras.

The ONLY stat that matters is wins and championships. Brady and Bradshaw deserve to be considered among the best quarterbacks of all time.
Brady and Bradshaw are considered among the greats of all time. However wins and championships are about great TEAMS, not necessarily great QBs. Not all great teams had great QBs, and some of the greatest QBs were not on great teams.

DoubleG said:
AngryPatriot said:

A ton of players in addition the QB changed on those teams you mentioned, why do you give almost all the credit to the QB.
(I don't disagree on Brees, snipped)Because that's the purpose of this thread, I guess.

At any time a conversation can get more complex of course.

I love the Titans OL and that previous Chiefs OL and years ago Cowboys OL. I'd be comfy saying neither team would have won a game without them and discussing if anyone disagreed. Those conversations could go to red-hot LJ or Big 3 in Dallas etc but ...that's the nature of team sports discussion-to single someone out and go from there. You'd have a hard time finding threads here that mention all 11 offensive guys and are including everyone so.... I guess I'm saying I just do, because we do. Hope that made some sense.

That said, it's not easy to pinpoint one reason for any team's success.

There is probably no better example for this thread/this discussion than Sam Bradford right now. Whether you compare him to those in college that were also excellent QBs that are currently rookies or whether it's last year's Rams QB or "ordinary average" type NFL QBs or guys like Peyton and Brady.

Words or thoughts like impact and change and much improved come to mind.

I love Bradford's potential and blah blah blah but I sure am not going to predict he'll win at a Brady like pace or win as many Supes as Brady. However isn't it realistic to predict pro bowls in his future, maybe an all-pro and that someday the Rams will play in a Superbowl?

You would have been borderline insane to predict a Supe appearance for the Rams last year or really any kind of success for them. And it's all suddenly changed.

(To throw another top player in here, even if diff position) Steven Jackson is a terrific runningback. A beast of a surprisingly fast agile man that maybe could have dominated the NFL behind a better line on a different team. He joined a great team when he was drafted. The opportunity to make an impact wasn't so much there as the opportunity to mess up a good thing. It's a different scenario completely.

Comparing Jackson's impact versus Bradford's impact does have some apples and oranges feel to it.

We don't associate impact on wins(on wins) with OL and DL too too often. Even when we do it's a guy like Bruce Smith and his QB or RB or WR etc get the credit too. It's rarely ever, if ever, that one of them gets the bulk of the credit. WRs and CBs are somewhat similar as well.

The way the draft affords bad teams the opportunity to acquire the best players, the way teams draft so many DL, OL, WR, CBs in the top 10 picks, it sets up this whole impact system. RBs and QBs are all that's (for the most part) left in top 10 picks of drafts to turn a franchise around. We already discredited to some degree the other positions.

The Rams could have signed 10,000 free agents and acquired every draft pick from the second round on and had this huge fictitious tryout for their team this year but, we'd still be talking about Bradford's impact there.

There's also the uneviable feeling of rooting for a loser or a losing team or some feeling of impending loss.

Drew Bledsoe threw a pretty ball and has some awesome stats but the guy had some dunderhead mistakes that were hard to shake. I specifically recall one this many years later where the Steelers DE dropped only like 2-3 steps in front of the TE (zone blitz big back then) and Bledsoe threw it right to him. I mean right to him. So me (and countless Pats fans likely too) were screaming at the TV oh WTF cmon are you kidding me etc.

Yes Bledsoe came off the bench and made a tough throw in the playoffs while Brady got hurt (or somesuch) and Brady's first ring wasn't all Brady in the playoffs. The attitude was different though. The chances of success were different. BB coached both so it's not necessarily him changing this attitude of fans. It was Brady's presence.

The Saints weren't that good before Brees and/or lived ridiculously well off a QB that locked onto one WR and somehow other NFL teams struggled to stop it. It's not like Brooks found work elsewhere with all these teams knocking on his door to come play for them when the Saints didn't re-sign him and he was at a prime age for QBs.

The Colts were just bad pre Manning.

The Bills (maybe moreso than any team) hired a USFL guy and were fortunate to know which player's games in the USFL would translate to the NFL and they were able to get Cornelius Bennett and Thurman and...yep there's plenty of love to go around for a Bills team that went from not being any good to being one of the deepest teams around but Kelly (like tons of QBs) gets credit for the impact. Not going to PFR and looking, I'm pretty sure they were like 8-8 his first year or 7-9 or somesuch. It wasn't 1-15 or 2-14. They didn't lay down for anyone and they had this fight to them that was oh so welcome after being the doormat of the AFC East. And they allowed enough sacks that led to fumbles or errant passes or injuries that panic set in when a LB or DE was bearing down on the QB. Suddenly in Buff here's this guy that's as big as a LB and can take a hit and is one tough sonofagun. That was new. That was the mindset of fans changing, the impact. I had a lot of family that were Bills fans and remember hearing one say "I can't remember the last time we ran the ball a million times to end a game. We were just lucky to get a win." There's a whole mindset change in fans that these QBs caused.

This is the longest ramble ever...sorry. I do think these guys changed their team's fortunes and the way fans perceived their favorite teams and so I think the high praise is just.

AngryPatriot said:

This guy is back

He's so good Gruden wants to BE HIM, he's so good I want to be Gisselle Bundchen! Yes, the child would be a Woodhead Gollum type creature but who cares. PROPS to Brady tonight. Not a great "stat" game which we all love so much but he managed the game with the usual subtle mastery and his accuracy was impeccable. Haters will hate but that's an impressive stat for one of the top 3 qb's to ever lace them up. Patriots will continue to improve.
Imagine if he was still cheating!
Lets see.... cheating?? Brady is 31-8 counting playoffs, and the first game in 08 after the Spygate game... Pretty freakin good if'n you ask me. Same games in question Peyton Manning is 30-9...pretty freakin good :bs:

Brady and Bradshaw are considered among the greats of all time. However wins and championships are about great TEAMS, not necessarily great QBs. Not all great teams had great QBs, and some of the greatest QBs were not on great teams.
Yes there have been great QBs that haven't won a championship. The point I was trying to make here is that a lot of fans look solely on stats in their analysis of a player and there is a lot more to it. Winning is the goal of every player and not necessarily great stats.

Users who are viewing this thread