What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

To Anyone Involved in Advertising (1 Viewer)

satch

Footballguy
Just some constructive criticism and consumer feedback for those of you involved in advertising.

Every time an ad of any kind pops up on my screen, my first and only thought is "where's the X so I can rid my screen of this horrific advertising practice". Not even for a millisecond am I interested in what the pop up ad is for. In fact, I intentionally avoid looking at the ad, and if I happen to see it I instantly equate the product or service with frustration and annoyance. I cannot remember one product or service that's ever popped up on my screen, so general product awareness is not even successful.

I understand that advertising keeps some of these websites alive, I'm just suggesting a different strategy as obviously I'm not alone in my hatred. I get advertising, just expressing my opinion that for me, and many others, pop up advertising is incredibly innefective.

The pre-rolls for video are annoying AF too. 30sec commercial to watch a 1 min video....

I'm glad I got YouTube red.

Just some constructive criticism and consumer feedback for those of you involved in advertising.

Every time an ad of any kind pops up on my screen, my first and only thought is "where's the X so I can rid my screen of this horrific advertising practice". Not even for a millisecond am I interested in what the pop up ad is for. In fact, I intentionally avoid looking at the ad, and if I happen to see it I instantly equate the product or service with frustration and annoyance. I cannot remember one product or service that's ever popped up on my screen, so general product awareness is not even successful.

I understand that advertising keeps some of these websites alive, I'm just suggesting a different strategy as obviously I'm not alone in my hatred. I get advertising, just expressing my opinion that for me, and many others, pop up advertising is incredibly innefective.
Good feedback. But if you can't recall a single product or service, then the fact that you equate the product or service with frustration or annoyance isn't particularly pertinent.

Good feedback. But if you can't recall a single product or service, then the fact that you equate the product or service with frustration or annoyance isn't particularly pertinent.
Haha, good point. I guess my disdain is fleeting, and the product forgotten.

Last edited by a moderator:
As someone who works for a major publisher, there is a gigantic shift happening right now as most realize banners of any sort are not effective.

More and more of the banners you see are being purchased by robots (not media buyers) based on the sites and behavior you have previously visited.

Those ahead of the curve have already implemented native solutions that aren't supposed to infringe on your browsing. In a very broad example, you might be reading the preview of a game happening in a few days on ESPN and there is a link in the article that says something like "go to this game", which would take you to Stubhub.

As someone who works for a major publisher, there is a gigantic shift happening right now as most realize banners of any sort are not effective.

More and more of the banners you see are being purchased by robots (not media buyers) based on the sites and behavior you have previously visited.

Those ahead of the curve have already implemented native solutions that aren't supposed to infringe on your browsing. In a very broad example, you might be reading the preview of a game happening in a few days on ESPN and there is a link in the article that says something like "go to this game", which would take you to Stubhub.
This is fantastic news....I think.

Also wanted to add that "slideshows" are a quick way to make me leave whatever website I'm on, and obviously this is due to advertising and page clicks.

If I'm looking for "10 best blues albums of 2015", I only need one page, containing a list and brief description. No way in heck I'm going through 10 pages to see the whole list, when I can certainly find an alternative website that provides the same content without the bs.

Also wanted to add that "slideshows" are a quick way to make me leave whatever website I'm on, and obviously this is due to advertising and page clicks.

If I'm looking for "10 best blues albums of 2015", I only need one page, containing a list and brief description. No way in heck I'm going through 10 pages to see the whole list, when I can certainly find an alternative website that provides the same content without the bs.
Yes, and I for one do remember the names of these sites and always scroll past them to something more along your 1 page articles that are sometimes listed below these irritants.

Video news stories, in general, are bad too. If you must have the video, have a written article underneath the video as well.

Native solutions is what sights like deadspin.com are doing right where they embed an ad article in content areas to make it look like a regular post?

good info....as someone who works in advertising and has to design those banner ads, it kills me b/c i know all i'm doing is pissing people off. They are seemingly unless, but there are some analytics that say otherwise—abet still pretty low in the grand scheme of advertising.

Its helpful as FantasyCurse said that 'robots' are placing them b/c at least in many cases the ad has something to do with your interests.....I get a lot of ones for products I may have looked at but didn't pull the trigger on to make me rethink not buying it.

That said, monetizing the internet is difficult. As someone said, its not free for the business/web site owners and consumers have been shying away from generally 'paid for content' I've even been reading that blogging is starting to die down b/c the bloggers are having to fight through the masses of other content out there and spending too much money trying to promote their blog then its worth.

Honestly, the immediate answer is social. We are seeing a much higher reliance on social advertising and campaigns that leverage the consumer to be a free spokesperson for the product. It's an interesting time.

Native solutions is what sights like deadspin.com are doing right where they embed an ad article in content areas to make it look like a regular post?
yes...but even those are beginning to fly red flags. Many of thee 'promoted articles' are really odd and when you go to the site its a collection click bait.

I make it a habit to stay away from anything that starts with "the 10 best...." b/c i know all they are is BS page reload sites.

http://i.imgur.com/t66CgoO.png

Technically deadspin probably sells this placement as "native".

Although this is a ####ty example bc there really is nothing "native" about a teeshirt ad here.

A better example is an article discussing remodeling on HGTV.com and an ad embedded for Home Depot or Lowe’s, an ad for BMW on Autotrader.com in-between listings when someone is searching for a luxury car, or something like this.

One of the bigger difficulties with native ads (which will be solved by companies like Google over the next few years) is that they vary from site to site and there are no universal specs for them. In contrast, the typical banners you see are all the same size for the most part (300x250, 300x600, 160x600, and 728x90 – these are the most prevalent) and just about every site has them. They are easily distributed via your stored cookies (which track your internet history and interests) through what are known as DSPs (Demand Side Platforms) and a few other acronyms which I don’t need to go into further details for the purpose of this explanation. The publisher has an SSP (Supply Side Platform) and easiest I can explain is that they meet in real time so the DSPs can bid on the SSPs inventory.

There currently is no solution via DSP’s for native content/solutions and until that is figured out you’ll continue to see standard banners as publishers still need to generate revenue through traditional means and advertisers need to spend money.

I don't like pop-up ads and slide shows, either.

But I've never understood why people get so worked up over ads on the FREE media they consume.

Someone has to pay for the media. Either you, or the advertisers.

Stop whining about it.

But I've never understood why people get so worked up over ads on the FREE media they consume.

Stop whining about it.
Apparently you were so excited to say "stop whining" you missed the part where I acknowledged the role and need for advertising.

Tell us more about this FREE media. I'd like to know how to get it without a tv bill, without a phone bill, without a cable bill, without an internet bill. I'm all ears.

Tell us more about this FREE media. I'd like to know how to get it without a tv bill, without a phone bill, without a cable bill, without an internet bill. I'm all ears.
ummm.....the content creators don't get a piece of that. That bill is coming from the gatekeepers (cable companies) who own the lines and wifi thats giving you access to it.

It is in the same category as the Nigerian scams. It is so cheap that it only takes one out of a million to respond to make it worth while.

First, let me say I argue against popups at all chances. I am a website developer, thankfully I rarely work on the kind of websites that do this crap.

That said, there is a reason popups are used. And that is that they are extremely effective, in comparison to other types of website ads. Conversion rates can be significantly higher, and the same with click-throughs to whatever they are offering.

There needs to be a definite rethinking on how to monitize websites. Advertising is very ineffective, particularly with the threat of ad-blockers (btw, I recommend uBlock Origin over any of the Ad-Block products).

fatness said:
Jack White said:

Lmao.

You think the wall street journal should deliver to your house for free because you pay for a mortgage?

satch said:
Jack White said:

Stop whining about it.
Apparently you were so excited to say "stop whining" you missed the part where I acknowledged the role and need for advertising.
I don't like video ads without the ability to skip them after a short amount of watching. I can take 10 secs or so, decide if I want to watch the rest of the ad and if I don't, let me skip. I don't want to watch ads for diapers, so let me skip them.

I know they now have some ability to force ads related to products I've searched for or purchased online. Another thing that bugs me is when I have to see an ad for the site I use to host my website. I already use you and pay you, I don't need to watch your ads.

Why don't we start posting the names of the companies that advertise this way with the key word "boycott". Maybe the market research / seo guys will stumble on our thread...

satch said:
Jack White said:

Stop whining about it.
I don't like video ads without the ability to skip them after a short amount of watching. I can take 10 secs or so, decide if I want to watch the rest of the ad and if I don't, let me skip. I don't want to watch ads for diapers, so let me skip them.I know they now have some ability to force ads related to products I've searched for or purchased online. Another thing that bugs me is when I have to see an ad for the site I use to host my website. I already use you and pay you, I don't need to watch your ads.
The worst part about the video ads is many of them are in HD. This eats up data plans.

Consciously, yes, but they achieved their goal of getting into your subconscious.

http://i.imgur.com/t66CgoO.png

Technically deadspin probably sells this placement as "native".

Although this is a ####ty example bc there really is nothing "native" about a teeshirt ad here.

A better example is an article discussing remodeling on HGTV.com and an ad embedded for Home Depot or Lowe’s, an ad for BMW on Autotrader.com in-between listings when someone is searching for a luxury car, or something like this.

One of the bigger difficulties with native ads (which will be solved by companies like Google over the next few years) is that they vary from site to site and there are no universal specs for them. In contrast, the typical banners you see are all the same size for the most part (300x250, 300x600, 160x600, and 728x90 – these are the most prevalent) and just about every site has them. They are easily distributed via your stored cookies (which track your internet history and interests) through what are known as DSPs (Demand Side Platforms) and a few other acronyms which I don’t need to go into further details for the purpose of this explanation. The publisher has an SSP (Supply Side Platform) and easiest I can explain is that they meet in real time so the DSPs can bid on the SSPs inventory.

There currently is no solution via DSP’s for native content/solutions and until that is figured out you’ll continue to see standard banners as publishers still need to generate revenue through traditional means and advertisers need to spend money.
Is this robotic negotiation purely between the DSP and SSP? I mean, does it even matter which site you are accessing? I'm curious how the SSP values one site's space over anothers...like if they measure which site's users are more likely to click their ad. Not sure how much the site itself versus the specific user plays into the valuation. Is it possible to "support" a site by clicking on banners for things I have zero interest in every purchasing, just to make it easier for the site to sell advertising space?

My biggest pet peeve right now. I refuse to participate in any slideshow sites no matter how interested I am in the headline.

My biggest pet peeve right now. I refuse to participate in any slideshow sites no matter how interested I am in the headline.
:yes:

Consciously, yes, but they achieved their goal of getting into your subconscious.
I suppose some do, but honestly most of the time pop up ads appear it's just a game of "how fast can I find the X and eliminate it", so I'm not sure many of them really do enter my subconscious as I never actually look at the ad.The whole concept of pop up ads is kind of bizarre, really. Such an awful advertising campaign, hard to believe it ever gained traction at all. It's just such a rude practice.

Take tv commercials for example. They don't just pop up in the middle of a scene without warning until you figure out how to gef rid of it. They at least attempt to use them in a way that's far less intrusive and off putting.

Or radio for that matter. Imagine listening to a song and suddenly the song is interrupted by an ad.

And some slideshow sites are now making you click each item more than once to get to the next item. I am boycotting those.

I suppose some do, but honestly most of the time pop up ads appear it's just a game of "how fast can I find the X and eliminate it", so I'm not sure many of them really do enter my subconscious as I never actually look at the ad.The whole concept of pop up ads is kind of bizarre, really. Such an awful advertising campaign, hard to believe it ever gained traction at all. It's just such a rude practice.

Take tv commercials for example. They don't just pop up in the middle of a scene without warning until you figure out how to gef rid of it. They at least attempt to use them in a way that's far less intrusive and off putting.

Or radio for that matter. Imagine listening to a song and suddenly the song is interrupted by an ad.
It's an awful practice but it works. XYZ company doesn't care if you remember their ad or even that it pissed you off - the only thing that matters to them is that when you're in the store and deciding between a product from ABC or XYZ that you choose XYZ because it's in your head from that annoying popup ad.

It's an awful practice but it works. XYZ company doesn't care if you remember their ad or even that it pissed you off - the only thing that matters to them is that when you're in the store and deciding between a product from ABC or XYZ that you choose XYZ because it's in your head from that annoying popup ad.
I believe that to be true, so why don't they use the same inconsiderate advertising practices with tv and radio?

I believe that to be true, so why don't they use the same inconsiderate advertising practices with tv and radio?
A commercial is just a longer popup ad you can't turn off.
They just DJs mention stuff or have the interview brought to you by X. Similar thing, and I find it more annoying than popups on the computer b/c I can't avoid them as easily.

They just DJs mention stuff or have the interview brought to you by X. Similar thing, and I find it more annoying than popups on the computer b/c I can't avoid them as easily.
Advertising in general doesn't bother me much at all. I understand it's role. TV commercials don't interrupt a scene, they wait for it to end. Radio ads don't interrupt a song, they wait until it ends. Internet pop ups interrupt me in the middle of reading something, which is a pretty rude and inconsiderate practice. I have no problem with websites having ads between paragraphs.

Advertising in general doesn't bother me much at all. I understand it's role. TV commercials don't interrupt a scene, they wait for it to end. Radio ads don't interrupt a song, they wait until it ends. Internet pop ups interrupt me in the middle of reading something, which is a pretty rude and inconsiderate practice. I have no problem with websites having ads between paragraphs.
How do you propose websites earn money so that they can stay in business and continue to provide content?

How do you propose websites earn money so that they can stay in business and continue to provide content?
Websites make money by having ads all over them. Top, bottom, sides, and in between paragraphs. I have no problem with any of that. I just think ads that literally pop up and block your view of the content the website is offering while you're in the middle of reading it is rude and inconsiderate.

TV commercials don't interrupt a scene, they wait for it to end.
Not a scene, but the entire show. There's a massive difference between watching shows with commercials and without. You don't realize this until you start watching TV without commercials.

Users who are viewing this thread