What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tight Ends who play college basketball (1 Viewer)

tjnc09

Footballguy
When you look at Julius Thomas resume, you see that he played 4 years of basketball at Portland State and only one year of football. He didn't play football between a HS freshmen and his senior college year. Yes, it was one game.

But then we have Jimmy Graham who played basketball at U of Miami for four years and only played football one year.

Antonio Gates (in his prime was a monster) originally wanted to play both basketball and football at Michigan St. He later transferred to Kent State IIRC to play basketball and was picked up by San Diego as an undrafted free agent.

Tony Gonzalez played basketball at Cal.

Obviously their QBs have a lot to do with their success, but my question is does a basketball background translate to a higher upside as a TE? It's difficult to catch a basketball pass in the paint - the court is much more condensed than football but it means you need to have great hands.

Anything to see here or am I selectively picking some TEs while ignoring others (Gronkowski played HS basketball but not college I.e.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Jordan Cameron Cleveland Browns played college bball as well and he is a sleeper for many to be a break-out player.

There is some trend to this and it has been discussed before on these boards.

As the NFL expands to be a passing league there is more opportunity there for atheltic freaks to contribute.

Gates started this trend. Who knows if it really means a whole lot. I think the one thing it does mean just based on background and body type is when you get a converted basketball player at the TE position as opposed to a career football player he is likely going to be more a pass catcher, and less likely a blocking TE.

Obviously their QBs have a lot to do with their success, but my question is does a basketball background translate to a higher upside as a TE? It's difficult to catch a basketball pass in the paint - the court is much more condensed than football but it means you need to have great hands.
I think the skills of guarding and being guarded (getting open to create a clear, defendable line to you from the passer), as well as rebounding, blocking out, avoiding getting theball striped etc all translate to catching footballs in traffic. It seems reasonable that people who play a lot of basketball (and/or at a high level) will do these things instinctively.

I think it's as simple as the 6'6" high school star athletes tend to gravitate towards playing basketball, rather than the non-glamorous position of TE in football.

still a big difference between hard court and gridiron toughness...

clearly gonz, gates and graham have it...

those that follow them will need it, too...

but not always a slam dunk (he he) to identify early... not sure if that is why he has bounced around the league after being drafted by the rams, but fendi onobun an example of hoops background cautionary tale...

the sort of flip side of this was I remember in an interview parcell's bemoaning the dearth of elite 4-3 DEs and 3-4 OLBs needed to combat modern passing attacks... his theory was these athletes were in the NBA... better gig, possible longer career, less violent and on average higher paying...

lebron was a star football player as prep, and some have speculated that if he had opted to go that route, the same supreme athleticism that has made him a super star basketball player would have translated directly to a similar ascendancy in the football domain? we will almost certainly never get to find that out (unless he pulls an unexpected mid-career two sport gig ala bo and deion)... but it is fun to imagine how hard he would be to stop on an end zone fade route or jump ball...

speaking of bo and deion, when was last two sport athlete that played football and basketball? don't know if charlie ward could have played in the NFL, he was a decent guard for the knicks for a few years... jim brown probably could have been in MLB, NBA, pro boxer or olympic decathlete...

cris carter played hoops at ohio st., ron curry was a great prep basketball player that played in college... julius peppers walked on at north carolina and was sixth man on team that went to NCAA tournament...

dave winfield was only athlete I heard of being drafted by FOUR sports (even soccer, i think, which he had never played)...

terry bradshaw was national champ (not sure prep or college?) in javelin... ed reed was in big east...

Last edited by a moderator:
I think they are more injury prone too (with the exception of Tony G who is an exercise and diet fanatic and freak of nature). Probably cause they haven't taking the pounding from playing football over the years.

I think they are more injury prone too (with the exception of Tony G who is an exercise and diet fanatic and freak of nature). Probably cause they haven't taking the pounding from playing football over the years.
They are more injury prone because they have less wear and tear on their bodies? Wut?

Hoosier16 said:
I think it's as simple as the 6'6" high school star athletes tend to gravitate towards playing basketball, rather than the non-glamorous position of TE in football.
this...and opportunities for a 6'6" post player in basketball tends to dry up once their college careers are over.

Brandon Bostick, backup to Jermichael Finley played basketball at Newberry College (where he also played football) - I think with their success he is definitely work a look with Rodgers throwing to him

Jordan Reed also has a basketball background who emerged this week

If Quarless didn't play basketball I don't want him... Seriously though I have heard a lot of hype on Bostick and I am planning to pick him up off waivers instead of Quarless FWIW. Sounds like he is the upside play?

Users who are viewing this thread