What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

THIS IS THEIR BEST SONG! - Music Draft - Saturday Night's Alright for iFighting (1 Viewer)

Honestly, who could blame him if he did, but I don't think he's made a pick tonight. The pick I quoted of his was a couple rounds back. 
I'm late to the party and may be missing something. Just looking at the spreadsheet and it shows his (and our) last pick as Cage The Elephant

Is this becoming more common? I feel like it's a thing I hear about but haven't seen much of myself. (though we're definitely behind in terms of opening back up/back to normal, up here)
I live in a hotbed of anti-vax. Well over 50% of those I see in public are not masked. Maybe 66% in the busiest spots, Walmart, Home Depot, the busiest grocery. I shop early in the morning or just before closing when the places are slowest. It's absurd to me. I travel to the nearest town and LA quite a bit. In both masks are easily over 90%. In those places the unmasked get nasty looks and turned away constantly. Where I live I get the nasty looks for wearing a mask. What dafuq.

Last edited by a moderator:
Palate cleanser.

By round, excluding your pick, which song by which artist would you have most liked to have on your draft board? Either the song selected or another song by the same artist.

R1:  Let Down - Radiohead

R2: Marquee Moon - Television

R3: In Between Days - The Cure

R4: State Hospital - Frightened Rabbit

R5: Trailer Trash - Modest Mouse

R6: A Salty Salute - Guided By Voices

R7: Man-Size - PJ Harvey

R8 Punks In the Beer Light - Silver Jews

R9 King of Carrot Flowers Pt. 1 - Neutral Milk Hotel

R10 Here's Where the Story Ends - The Sundays

Palate cleanser.

By round, excluding your pick, which song by which artist would you have most liked to have on your draft board? Either the song selected or another song by the same artist.

1. "Trouble Man" - Marvin Gaye

2. "Until You Come Back To Me" - Aretha

3. "Standing On The Verge" - Funkadelic

4. "Ain't No Sunshine" - Bill Withers

5. "Bernadette" - THE Four Tops

6. "Burning Love" - The King

7. "Call Me" - Blondie

8. "Wheel In The Sky" - Journey

9. "Blue Collar" - BTO

10. "Mississippi gosh darn" - Nina

I am hurt to my heart you took BTO, as I was saving them for whenever I ran out of ideas. But am thrilled with the choice you made, as it's off the grid.

Agree with you on Not Fragile - that record freaking rocks.

My favorite song of theirs is atypical - "Blue Collar" off of the first LP. It's jazzy and bluesy and unlike anything they did afterwards.
If you enjoy "Blue Collar", you might enjoy "Lookin' Out For Number One" from the album "Head On". At the time BTO was my favorite band, they were my 1st concert.

https://youtu.be/N4_0Pt3HAR8

10:30 pm. Making a quick run to the store.
Welp, of the ten or so shoppers, one other than me was wearing a mask. Worse yet, the only employee wearing a mask was the young lady who checked me out. She put it on when I started unloading my stuff. Certainly she would not have done so for the unmasked. 

Palate cleanser.

I'll try and do ones I haven't commented upon. These aren't necessarily their best (I'm not qualified to judge the whole catalog of a few of these) but are the ones I like the most.

R1 - Neil Young - Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere

R2 - T. Rex - Cadillac 

R3 - Duran Duran - Girls On Film

R4 - Lorde - Buzzcut Season 

R5 - Green Day - Jinx/Haushinka 

R6 - Mazzy Star - Fade Into You (what else?)

R7 - Blondie - Atomic 

R8 - Death Cab For Cutie - The New Year 

R9 - Weezer - Only In Dreams 

R10 - War - Spill The Wine 

I live in a hotbed of anti-vax. Well over 50% of those I see in public are not masked. Maybe 66% in the busiest spots, Walmart, Home Depot, the busiest grocery. I shop early in the morning or just before closing when the places are slowest. It's absurd to me. I travel to the nearest town and LA quite a bit. In both masks are easily over 90%. In those places the unmasked get nasty looks and turned away constantly. Where I live I get the nasty looks for wearing a mask. What dafuq.
Yeah, I think, while not on top of each other, we live reasonably close to one another. I'd say about 60% of Riverside County is vaccinated with one dose. Maybe. I guess I could check, but I gave up long ago. It's depressing.

I hope things work out with your daughter and that she masks and takes appropriate steps to respect what you've got going on. Best of luck.

You don't have to tell me - I had all of their LPs up through Freeways. I came home from school one day and caught my mom listening to Head On :lol:
Sorry, didn't know you were already aware of the song I linked. I thought it was the closest to meeting your criteria -"It's jazzy and bluesy and unlike anything they did afterwards."

BTO was very prominent in my early music loving years on the Canadian Prairies, so I'm not always sure how deep others go into their catalogue. 👍

Nah, not all good with me.  Not the first time I have dealt with it, along with others who have PM'd me similar thoughts.  Flip the coin, as far as I'm concerned.  Don't care if I "lose."
You seem to have a wiki and a theme song.

Seriously, you two.  Knock it off or I will make you listen to Muskrat Love.

Sorry, didn't know you were already aware of the song I linked. I thought it was the closest to meeting your criteria -"It's jazzy and bluesy and unlike anything they did afterwards."

BTO was very prominent in my early music loving years on the Canadian Prairies, so I'm not always sure how deep others go into their catalogue. 👍
The song I caught my mom listening to was "Lookin Out For #1" - she loved it. I thought it was ok, but maybe a little too AC for my teenaged self at the time.

If I want them, I have two great seats for Mavs/Clips in a few hours. No Luka discourages me. But it is a Sunday game and Rihanna has been to show up on weekends. If you see some old idiot get ko'd by her security on tiktok, I went.
I've been offered free Toronto Maple Leafs tickets a few times in the past month. Dates haven't worked out for me, but that would be unheard of in other years. There just aren't as many people working downtown in Toronto right now so demand has really lessened, particularly for weeknight games. 

Soooooooo...I mentioned this in another thread that I've since deleted since it got zero feedback.  I'll try again here.  I am looking to make some end of year charitable donations and figured I could turn it into a fun exercise for the board.  For each $500 donation (there will be four total), I'd describe a situation/circumstance and we'd draft the best songs for that situation.  There would only be 3 rounds in each draft.  Once everyone has drafted their 3 song team, I'd summarize them and we'd vote on who has the best team.  The winner picks the charity I donate to.  The first situation is you're driving home with the windows down on a beautiful Spring evening after just receiving a promotion and large pay raise.  What are you blasting?

Let me know if you'd be interested via liking this post.

Serious question. I like the song and all, but so much over the top love for this group? I find their music mostly just OK
I like The Band but I don't sit down and listen to them a ton. I think a lot of the love comes from them having a certain mystique about them, and a lot of influence in subsequent bands, and The Last Waltz.

Is this becoming more common? I feel like it's a thing I hear about but haven't seen much of myself. (though we're definitely behind in terms of opening back up/back to normal, up here)
I would say almost nobody wears a mask in public here unless their employer mandates or you are in a school/govt building. It had been going ok until the last month. We are now the leading State for COVID and pushing for new records. 

I like The Band but I don't sit down and listen to them a ton. I think a lot of the love comes from them having a certain mystique about them, and a lot of influence in subsequent bands, and The Last Waltz.
Same to me. Seems to be their claim to fame was that they being Dylan's backup band, had a movie made about their "farewell" concert directed by a big name movie director who was friends with the one of the roadies or something and that mystique thing

There was nothing political about it but his perception. 
You're good.   The music drafts = family. (yes, sometimes dysfunctional! )  We share stories and observations along with great music picks.   

It was more stark around here last year about this time.  WI had a couple county health depts overrule state's ideas about it.  I live right at the corner of 3 counties.  Work and shopping were closer to Madison, so everything was looking like a ghost town, drive through only, masks everywhere.   I head into town where we live to get a take out pizza - bar fully open, not a mask in site and about 100 people in the restaurant.   It was really bizzare for awhile.   It's still that way to an extent, but nothing like those few months.  

I know we'll never do a jazz draft, but this write up's been in the back of my head for years. So why not tl/dr y'all on a lazy Saturday? I don't have a short list. Just a long list without priorties at this point. 

In a discussion of greatest sax ever - after you know who - then who else but King Curtis? Active from 61 to 71, when he so fricken tragically lost everything in a damn knife fight, his credits are just ridiculous. Aretha's band leader (The Kingpins) from 67 to the fatal fight. His performances on her epic two live albums from the Filmore West are legendary. In the unabridged version the Kingpins rage on for an hour without her. It's my favorite part of the recordings. I've drafted from it. And tbh, Aretha is another small doses genius for me. She can grate on me after awhile. But not the King-led Kingpins. They were instrumental R&B smoke.

As a sideman and/or studio cat, King played with Andy Williams, Nat Adderly, Waylon Jennings and Buddy Holly (versatile dude). Lennon tapped him for a couple tracks on Imagine. That's him on Yakety Yak with The Coasters. He recorded with Hendrix but the tracks were lost in a fire at Atlantic Records. Sigh. Fats Domino, Sam Cooke, the great Donny Hathaway and on and on. 

Despite being in such heavy demand, he released an impressive catalog of solo work. Maybe his most recognizable piece is Hot Potatoes because it was the original theme to Soul Train so many of us fops heard once a week for years. 

For me his best song goes back to 64 before he abandoned jazz admittedly for the money available elsewhere. It's a perfect instrumental halftime tune for my playlist. He seemlessly transtioned from soprano to alto to tenor, and played a saxalo (alto hybrid-tuned thingy) for this track. The Kingpins rearranged it for his funeral. It's slow and kind of sultry, which is sort of my idea. 

10.27 King Curtis - Soul Serenade

i had a couple Curtis/Hendrix records backinaday. pretty sure there are plenty extant recordings out there. in fact, here they are backing one of the greatest recording artists of the waybackmachine age.

Users who are viewing this thread