What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

THIS IS THEIR BEST SONG! - Music Draft - Saturday Night's Alright for iFighting (1 Viewer)

Never heard of this song. Only 3 minutes in - **heart**. This is why I love these drafts.
I've drafted it twice. The vocals near the end get a drowned out in the spotify version. Andy decided to improve the song by fixing that and taking it to 8:45 on the official video. It's a combo studio live performance and just a mic drop moment, though Andy forgets to drop the mic. Highly recommended. Youtube as always >>>>> Spotify. Better audio too.

When I drafted Angel, I said it was the song I've listened to most over the past 20 years. The Silence is the song I've listened to most over the last 5. 8:45 and it goes by too fast. Can't think of many songs I say that about. Maybe 2 or 3 others. 

YES! Pulling from Sound and Fury instead of Metamodern is not an easy choice, but I love it. I might have gone with Sing Along or Best Clock Maker, but no complaints. S&F is the album I've listened to start to finish the most since it was released. Simpson's Rogan episode about it is very good. Sturgill is a smart dude. I think I got the Anime story figured out, but Sturgill likes to keep us confused.

Also I was disappointed recently listening to a different interview where he was self-deprecating about S&F. It hasn't played well live and his audience pines for country. Sad result. I wish he would build on this new age southern rock he invented, but I doubt he does. He mocks himself, "I dunno what I was thinking, uh uh uh." Pfffff. That's only cuz his outlaw rednecks didn't get it. I saw it live. Sat near a group that chanted turtles turtles turtles. And tbh what they did in the studio is very hard to duplicate live. 

Single song purposes I have hard time saying anything, but Call to Arms. But as great as that album and others prior are they pale in comparison to Fury. And if I had to pick one from it this is it.

And there's nothing for me outside this hotel room
But another letdown, lonely day
Tour is almost over, and I'll be home soon
And it's all been done two or three times anyway

Single song purposes I have hard time saying anything, but Call to Arms. But as great as that album and others prior are they pale in comparison to Fury. And if I had to pick one from it this is it.

And there's nothing for me outside this hotel room
But another letdown, lonely day
Tour is almost over, and I'll be home soon
And it's all been done two or three times anyway
You should join in...not like we're out of bands.

I'm thinking maybe we do one pick per drafter per day (any time, no clock) for the weekend but return to the clock on Monday morning.

It is fine, leave it as it is - draft moves along pretty well on the weekend (slows down late in the evening but I don't see that as a problem). I was hoping to get in some picks this weekend if the draft was done like last weekend, because I have jury duty next week and may not be able to make any picks during the day. 

I'm probably in the minority, but I've always felt the Deftones peaked with Adrenaline (Engine No. 9).  That album is pure rocket fuel from top to bottom.  They get too whiney for my liking after that. 
You are. And I'm not much different as I don't really care for anything beyond Fur - particularly fond of Headup. A close friend of his lost his son to a hit-and-run - the outro 'walk into this world with your head up high' was an excerpt from the deceased's diary. I think those 2 albums just came out at a poor time as they got lumped in with the rest of nu metal, so they whiplashed into something else to distance themselves from what came of the rest of that movement.

The bolded was definitely still true at least through Exit Stage Left.

I've always kind of thought "Rush hate" was somewhat inorganic. Some early Internet cool kids circa 2000-2005 dumped on Rush and it just kind of snowballed.
it's totally organic. i'd have no problem with Rush besides its suckness except that younger folk consider it not only first-water but first-order prog. i'm completely embarrassed that Tull is my alltime favorite band and that i still thrill to the scrumptious excesses of EL&P (and remain mysitfied to find their respective busses so empty these days), but i can live with that as long as others see the gap - both musical & chronological - between my superheroes and those puerile Canadian riffmongers. i have sought out and squelched seven decades of rage to be the mellodood you see before you, but group Rush with Yes and your voicebox will feel the peril of my ample grip

Why yes, I'm listening to the new Adele
seizing on a fresh SNL clip for a Taylor Swift pick, then first-daying Adele?! OK, but if you start discussing the Married at First Sight couples who have stayed together or wondering how bad it could be to get just a little work done, i gotta make a call...

8.19 Frank Sinatra "It Was A Very Good Year"

It's probably impossible to pick a "best" with an artist like this, but I'll throw this one out there. To me, Sinatra in his prime does melancholy better than anyone else. Overall, I like his slower stuff more than the up-tempo songs.

Summer Wind

I had heard Frank before, but this was the first of his that caused me to stop what I was doing and listen.
Summer Wind is also my favorite (instantly transporting), but i'd have a hard time making a Capitol recording my Sinatra exemplar. He & Riddle figuring out the proper tones & 'tudes to turn crooning into serious music for Reprise in the 50s - to me, more Rock & Roll than Bill Haley - would be sumn i'd have to snob up to here.

Buble maybe better version?
this might be worse than Rush...

Last edited by a moderator:
I wanted to pick Frank but don’t know his catalogue well enough to pick a best.  I know his greatest hits and that’s about it. 

9.11 Blind Faith - Sea of Joy

I really like every song on this album.  Almost went with the standby Can't Find My Way Home but today I think Sea of Joy is my favorite, so it's their best.  I love the violin interlude.

been looking a while for a way to interject my feeling of loss over the passing of my great friend Ellen McIlwaine - the only woman who jammed with Jimi Hendrix - who died this summer. i'll let this do it for me. RIP, my giant gentle genius.

9.15 Duke Ellington "Take The A Train"

Like with Sinatra, it's is an impossible task to presume to pick Ellington's "best". I had several I kept waffling on and damned near settled on "Caravan". But, this one is my favorite and that gave it the edge. I love swing when it's done right and Duke basically invented the form.

tangent: has anyone watched "Sturgill Simpson Presents Sound & Fury" on Netflix? it's like a 45 minute fever dream of Japanese animation set to Sturgill Simpson songs. it makes almost zero sense, but is kinda cool, and the music is amazing. after I finished it, I still wasn't sure what had happened, but I felt like I needed to watch it again.

I think if someone were to watch it while 'enhanced', it might be even better. or your head might explode.

9.18 - Junior Walker - What Does It Take  (Live 1985 on Letterman)

https://youtu.be/f_amB431E4U

With Jon Anderson of Yes on tambourine. 

Walker always seemed cut from a different cloth than the rest of the Hitsville U.S.A. stable. He didn't really have the formula Motown sound even when he was doing a Holland–Dozier–Holland composition like (I'm a) Road Runner. I pretty much felt that he just did his own thing.  

tangent: has anyone watched "Sturgill Simpson Presents Sound & Fury" on Netflix? it's like a 45 minute fever dream of Japanese animation set to Sturgill Simpson songs. it makes almost zero sense, but is kinda cool, and the music is amazing. after I finished it, I still wasn't sure what had happened, but I felt like I needed to watch it again.

I think if someone were to watch it while 'enhanced', it might be even better. or your head might explode.
yup. he lays it out in a Joe Rogan vlog interview. the netflix video was out of his hands. sturgill is well versed in japanese anime and used a couple giants in the field to make that for him. the creator had most of the story done before ever hearing the music, so lyrics and events aren't necessarily correlated. his explanation didn't fully explain all the imagery, but i think that's how he likes it. it's a love story tangled up iin a dystopian gang war. 

edit: when i said it's the album i've listened to start to finish more than any other since release, it's because i've watched netflix video over and over again. even used it as background music many times. 

It's actually a dual concept type thing where the anime and music were developed together with the music telling the story and the anime enhancing the music. I can't even begin to imagine how much time it took. And yeah, it's ridiculously awesome, even unenhanced.

yup. he lays it out in a Joe Rogan vlog interview. the netflix video was out of his hands. sturgill is well versed in japanese anime and used a couple giants in the field to make that for him. the creator had most of the story done before ever hearing the music, so lyrics and events aren't necessarily correlated. his explanation didn't fully explain all the imagery, but i think that's how he likes it. it's a love story tangled up iin a dystopian gang war. 

edit: when i said it's the album i've listened to start to finish more than any other since release, it's because i've watched netflix video over and over again. even used it as background music many times. 

It's actually a dual concept type thing where the anime and music were developed together with the music telling the story and the anime enhancing the music. I can't even begin to imagine how much time it took. And yeah, it's ridiculously awesome, even unenhanced.
Well, never mind, I must have totally misunderstood it.  I swear I heard him do an interview that said they were done simultaneously.

sturgill described it a little differently. the anime genius behind it certainly worked with the music a lot but the story was in development before the music was made. they just kind of put it all together, not developed it together. also, i could be wrong but pretty sure that was part of simpson's disdcussion with joe.

Users who are viewing this thread