What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

THIS IS THEIR BEST SONG! - Music Draft - Saturday Night's Alright for iFighting (1 Viewer)

Rd 5

wow - this one was really hard ...both the band pick and then the song ...

The Yardbirds - The Shapes of Things (1966)

what a band - another one way in front of their time - and having Clapton, Beck and Page roll through ...whoa

"Happenings Ten Years Ago" with both Beck and Page was so close - had to listen again one more time before choosing between them.  I'm kind of a melody guy - Shapes won out.

Some of us listened to the radio where, like in L.A., The Smiths got a ton of airplay on alternative rock station KROQ and were probably among the popular bands for that station.

Some of us and their friends bought Smiths records (I bet I got a half dozen 12" UK singles which I don't think were issued this country - or maybe they were but I wanted to get them when they first came out). 

Some of us also followed the sources that tracked actual popularity. 

Some of us were only aware of what went on in their college bubble.

It's all good. 
Some of us think it is time to quit beating a dead horse and discuss other draft picks/artists.

TIA

Some of us think it is time to quit beating a dead horse and discuss other draft picks/artists.

TIA

Some others think that people shouldn't keep notifying someone by quoting their posts (like 7 hours after the fact like you did here) if they don't want to see Secretariat's corpse receive any additional blows.

FYI, my daytime stays pretty busy, so for anyone who can remember, please keep me on autoskip throught the remainder of the draft.  I promise I'll catch things up in the evening.

Great song.  Seen them live three times, most recently when I was living in SF about 6ish years ago...they were still in peak form.

Impossible for me to pick a best because it's like a 10 way tie.

If I had to go hot take, to the chagrin of some critics I'd go with "Out of Touch" which was released mid 80s after most of their critically acclaimed stuff but still hit #1 because it was catchy AF...and still holds up IMHO.

I also enjoy the Darryl's house episodes where he has other artists over and they jam to their hits.
My favorite part of Darryl's House is he makes the other artist's perform their hits in a different way. So, they aren't just repeating the version everybody knows.

Round 5.12

Smokey Robinson and The Miracles - The Tracks Of My Tears 

I've played so much Smokey over the years that I figure I'll pick one that I sung impromptu as a duet with my Contracts professor who was trying to prove a point about breach of contract or something. I don't remember. I remember I used to sit up in front of class in an isolated seat. Think theater seating but with a seat right up front and in the center. Used to wander in late every Monday from Sunday partying and just put my head down and crash. One day, he started having trouble with the lyrics to the song and wanted help. There I was, head down but moved to a momentary lilt, totally cashed from Sunday, and I sang the next line of the song for him. We then proceeded to move on to the chorus, and the whole class started dying.

Fun times. Smokey helped write this, and it's from 1965. Enjoy.
Great artist with a lot of great songs. Tough to just pick one, but you picked a great one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still contend Appetite is the best rock album Post 1980. (AIC and another artist not selected yet close)

My top 5 GnR (which isn't illuminating but it's fun for me so deal with it)

1.  Welcome to the Jungle

2.  Paradise City

3.  November Rain

4.  Mr. Brownstone (this would be my hot take selection)

5.  Knockin on Heaven's Door cover

Bonus thought:  "Patience" is a terrible, overrated song

My personal working theory is that GNR killed "hair metal", it just took a couple of years to set in

Appetite was the gauntlet

Knockin' doesn't age well for me, I'd rather have LIVE AND LET DAAHHHHHHHH

5.14 - CHVRCHES - "Clearest Blue"

To be honest, a band that I thought I'd end up loving more than I do.  They're good, sure, but I can't help but feel like there's an unrealized potential under the surface here.

That said, their discography high points are amazing, and this is one of them.  A solid 2:45ish of buildup, crescendo, and an extended catchy synthy dance outro.

Also, well, the further this draft goes, the more scarce these countries get in terms of draftable vocalists.  I've only got 2 on the shortlist for Scotland, and this is probably the most snipe-able scarce-country band left on my list, if I had to guess.

Update: I have cellulitis, which is a bacterial infection they think came from the actual jab (not a side effect of the vaccine). I’m bummed. Last time I had this I wound up in the hospital for three days until I was put on a regimen of Orbactiv, which immediately stanched the infection. Have no idea how my body came to be like this, but it usually points to undiagnosed autoimmune issues. 

this post is really for general info and Marco. Any thoughts, Marco?

Update: I have cellulitis, which is a bacterial infection they think came from the actual jab (not a side effect of the vaccine). I’m bummed. Last time I had this I wound up in the hospital for three days until I was put on a regimen of Orbactiv, which immediately stanched the infection. Have no idea how my body came to be like this, but it usually points to undiagnosed autoimmune issues. 

this post is really for general info and Marco. Any thoughts, Marco?
Granted, I'm a pediatrician, and my patient population is different from you.  But, I've given hundreds of thousands of vaccines to children over the past 25 years and have had only a few cases of cellulitis that I attributed to the vaccine.  

Localized swelling, redness and tenderness at the injection site as a side effect of the vaccine is common in kids but actual cellulitis is very rare. I think localized reactions after a vaccination are too often diagnosed as cellulitis.

Not that I'm doubting your doc.  Your reaction seems much more significant and persistent than anything I usually see.  I hope your infection responds quickly!

Granted, I'm a pediatrician, and my patient population is different from you.  But, I've given hundreds of thousands of vaccines to children over the past 25 years and have had only a few cases of cellulitis that I attributed to the vaccine.  

Localized swelling, redness and tenderness at the injection site as a side effect of the vaccine is common in kids but actual cellulitis is very rare. I think localized reactions after a vaccination are too often diagnosed as cellulitis.

Not that I'm doubting your doc.  Your reaction seems much more significant and persistent than anything I usually see.  I hope your infection responds quickly!
Thanks a bunch! Puts me at a little more ease. I’m not in pain, it’s just red and spreading, and it looks like it did last time. We shall see. 

For Uruk (ignore the fact the YouTube link has the song title wrong):

5.15  Ray Charles - I Got A Woman

@KarmaPolice
now that Uruk cant argue with me til at least 2025, i'll post that my 3rd rd pick would be Ray's You Don't Know Me. his rendition of the country classic joins my own version of "Since I Fell For You" as my two all-time favorite songs to sing

Early notice to @squistion that you are ON DECK and will be up at 4:35 PST unless KP picks before that.

@tuffnutt IN THE HOLE

I have made my choice, have been working on my write-up and will be ready unless KP snipes me. However I suspect you will have a lot of missed picks if you rigorously adhere to a 30 minute clock. And you didn't you tell me before the draft started that we would at lease be given an hour?

I have made my choice, have been working on my write-up and will be ready unless KP snipes me. However I suspect you will have a lot of missed picks if you rigorously adhere to a 30 minute clock. And you didn't you tell me before the draft started that we would at lease be given an hour?

I have no idea what you're talking about.  No one has been given a 30-minute clock.

You are now on the clock for an hour since KP has asked to be skipped.

I have no idea what you're talking about.  No one has been given a 30-minute clock.

You are now on the clock for an hour since KP has asked to be skipped.

I thought I saw on the spread sheet where the OP had said 30 minute clock, but don't see it now.

Anyways doing finishing touches on my write up and will post in few minutes.

I thought I saw on the spread sheet where the OP had said 30 minute clock, but don't see it now.

Anyways doing finishing touches on my write up and will post in few minutes.

NV has requested a 30-minute clock for the next couple of days while he is in beer training, so perhaps you saw that (which is still there) and misunderstood it.

5.18  -  Paul McCartney And Wings - Coming Up (Live Kampuchea 1979)

https://youtu.be/fpJ3AajaMaQ 

The studio version that was the first release of this song is absolutely dreadful as McCartney used a synthesized sound, featuring sped-up vocals created by using a vari-speed tape machine. Despite it's quirky offbeat sound, it reached #2 on the UK pop charts.

A promotional video was made for the song but was horrid as well and I have seen it on several lists as being among The 10 Worst Rock Videos Of All Time. 

When Coming Up was released in the US, Columbia Records promoted the B-Side which was a live version recorded in Glasgow. The label explained the switch by stating "Americans like the sound of Paul McCartney's real voice." The live version reached #1 on the Billboard Top 100.

I couldn't find a video from the Glasgow date, however I found one that is just as good, from the same tour in or rather for Kampauchea. Paul McCartney is in fine voice and showed that in 1979 he could still rock as well as anyone. The backing band is excellent and Linda, as usual, is superfluous.

Yay!!  I'm glad you're still in!  Make it rain at your leisure - you owe three right now.
Just three!? Piece of cake Whitney Houston - Star Spangled Banner

This might be more of a Best Performance than Song and probably a million , at least people/ groups have given it thier best shot (spoiler alert), but nobody ever has nailed it like this. I think Francis himself would have teared up 

In 1979 the band was simply known as "Wings," so I've corrected it on the spreadsheet.

Original version from McCartney II  = Paul McCartney

1979 live versions = Wings

"Paul McCartney and Wings" was only used for a couple of albums in the middle.

ETA:  And per NV's original post before this draft, all Wings (whether "Wings" or "Paul McCartney and Wings") should now be off limits.

In 1979 the band was simply known as "Wings," so I've corrected it on the spreadsheet.

ETA:  And per NV's original post before this draft, all Wings (whether "Wings" or "Paul McCartney and Wings") should now be off limits.

...and it wasn't live in Kampuchea. The Concerts for Kampuchea were benefits held in London.

OK then you should change it to Paul McCartney as it was the flip side of a Paul McCartney single release and I don't the  think the single was ever sold as being just by Wings.  It wasn't a band release it was a Paul McCartney release.

I love both versions of "Coming Up," and it's my sixth favorite Wings (or PM & Wings) song, after "Band on the Run," "Let Me Roll It," "Little Lamb Dragonfly" (a sentimental favorite), "Live and Let Die," and "Daytime Nighttime Suffering."  Or seventh if you count the live version of "Maybe I'm Amazed."  I don't know what song I think is "best," though.  Probably "Band on the Run."  

Coincidentally, when I did my countdown, Uruk-Hai predicted I would have "Coming Up" as my favorite Paul post-Beatles song, and I believe it's his favorite, too.

Users who are viewing this thread