What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

THIS IS THEIR BEST SONG! - Music Draft - Saturday Night's Alright for iFighting (1 Viewer)

One of the Wack Packers on the Howard Stern Show is a guy with tourettes named Medicated Pete.  One symptom of his tourettes is the uncontrollable compulsion to say "yeah" after he hears someone else say "yeah".  Howard would have fun with this by saying "yeah" repeatedly as Pete was incapable of not responding.  I think if the Howards in this thread stopped saying "yeah", we wouldn't have to hear Pete.   

ETA - Of course, there's the possibility that this thread has more than one Pete. 

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the Wack Packers on the Howard Stern Show is a guy with tourettes named Medicated Pete.  One symptom of his tourettes is the uncontrollable compulsion to say "yeah" after he hears someone else say "yeah".  Howard would have fun with this by saying "yeah" repeatedly as Pete was incapable of not responding.  I think if the Howards in this thread stopped saying "yeah", we wouldn't have to hear Pete.   

ETA - Of course, there's the possibility that this thread has more than one Pete. 

omg - awesome  :lmao:

...ya buncha ####in' Howards

Search function says these two make-up picks should be good:

3.32: "Planet Earth", Duran Duran

John Taylor's bass workouts are hard to resist -- one of their earliest, and one of his finest.

4.02: "Age of Consent", New Order

If anyone ever asks how punk, post-punk, and new wave led to one another in an evolutionary sense, play them this record. First released commercially on the 1983 album Power, Corruption & Lies, the band wrote the song about a year and a half earlier and it had become a staple of their live shows by early 1982.

Catching up on all of the weekend action, so forgive me for quoting a chunk at a time

4.01 Aqualung, Jethro Tull

This isn't my favorite Tull song (Hymn 43), but it's tough to argue it's not their best.  Ironically, it doesn't have any of Anderson's signature flute.  

It's a crime against humanity that they were never inducted into the R&R Hall of Fame.  
Given how much I love Aqualung, I've always been a bit disappointed that I don't love their other stuff more.  Thick as a Brick and Bungle are solid, but not on the same level.  I'll have to check out Hymn 43 as I don't know that one.

3.23   -  Simon and Garfunkel  -  Bridge Over Troubled Water

I can't belive this fell to Round 3.  It's a beautiful fifty-year-old hymn with a truly beautiful message.
I almost took this one with my last pick just to keep some clown from taking Cecilia or some other such nonsense.

Looks like the list isn't updated......is Alice in Chains still on the board?  If so, I'm taking something from Jar of Flies.....I wanna take the entire EP, but I gotta choose one!  I'll go No Excuses
There was an Alice in Chains tribute concert on Sirius recently - very enjoyable as I hadn't listened to them in a while.  Second whoever mentioned Nutshell as an excellent song.

Round 4

Decided to stick to my theme of hard rock/metal. This is a 3rd song I briefly considered at 2 overall but figured it was the best bet to last. I doubt anyone else is thinking of this band  but may draft the song so taking this now. This song is an all time top 10 and really love this version plus it fits the playlist better.

Frijid Pink-House of the Rising Sun

Thanks, Binky. Going forward, just @ me when I'm OTC, and I'll make it up when I can. Don't want to hold things up, but my availability will be spotty.
Doug, you know I'm kidding with the "you're behind" stuff - right? We all have our shtick demons - I don't know how to pronounce my own screen name, for instance, or Binky with his dumb-assed avatar(s). I'm serious, though, when I post things about Dreaded Marco being a hit-man sniper. 

Doug, you know I'm kidding with the "you're behind" stuff - right?
On that count, some ribbing is deserved. For me, these drafts have always been weekday work diversions so I don't usually make weekend selections a personal priority.

I do have to watch out, though, not to get too far behind to the point that catching up becomes a chore ... and thus a perpetual kick-the-can exercise.

Ive playlisted them randomly through Spotify algorithms throwing songs at me and usually liked what I hear...but I've never dived in. Which album should I start with?
IMO It Still Moves is their best. It's like Southern Rock on steroids. Z, which came immediately after ISM, is the one that broadened their popularity the most and is probably most representative of their sound. 

Round 4 Frijid Pink -House of the Rising Sun

Decided to stick to my theme of hard rock/metal. This is a 3rd song I briefly considered at 2 overall but figured it was the best bet to last. I doubt anyone else is thinking of this band  but may draft the song so taking this now. This song is an all time top 10 and really love this version plus it fits the playlist better.

I guess that must be their best song as I never heard anything else that did, although I see that their cover of Tim Hardin's "Sing A Song For Freedom" and "Heartbreak Hotel" also charted.

Given how much I love Aqualung, I've always been a bit disappointed that I don't love their other stuff more.  

Yeah, I love the era and the genre...Jethro Tull just doesn't do it for me. 

Reminds me of the scene in "Beautiful Girls" where Rappaport's character is trying to DJ Jethro Tull and Rosie O'Donnell's character is imploring him to not play any Jethro Tull.  :lmao:

John Taylor's bass workouts are hard to resist -- one of their earliest, and one of his finest.

If anyone ever asks how punk, post-punk, and new wave led to one another in an evolutionary sense, play them this record. First released commercially on the 1983 album Power, Corruption & Lies, the band wrote the song about a year and a half earlier and it had become a staple of their live shows by early 1982.
oh damn... nice! but sucks.

I mentioned three picks I was considering last time... New Order was one (since the 2nd round). Love Age of Consent- agree with it's positioning at the conflux of post/NW. If I had done a second's remembering and looked at track listings, I would've taken this one too. WIthout that, I was going with Temptation (similar reasoning as you) or Ceremony... a song that I think holds up as well as anything they've done... which is saying something. IIRC, both were singles and not on albums

DD... probably agree with Planet Earth too. Although I love and prefer Save a Prayer or Girls on Film- they're probably not their "best".

One of my favorite elementary school era bands.So many radio hits to choose from, some great, some not so great....really awful lyrics on hits like "The Reflex" and "Wild Boys"...I mean, wtf.

Their big hits got so overplayed that I found myself liking some of the songs that were played less like "New Moon on Monday" and "Is There Something I should Know".  

Yeah, I love the era and the genre...Jethro Tull just doesn't do it for me. 

Reminds me of the scene in "Beautiful Girls" where Rappaport's character is trying to DJ Jethro Tull and Rosie O'Donnell's character is imploring him to not play any Jethro Tull.  :lmao:

Not even Cross Eyed Mary? That was not a typical Tull song in my opinion (I posted a live clip earlier)

Wow, that's a turn!  I always forget that Duran Duran had some good songs.  My favorites are Ordinary World and The Chauffeur.  

Users who are viewing this thread