What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Thinking of buying a 60's mustang (1 Viewer)

KGB

Footballguy
Im not a mechanic. At first I was thinking father son project. but I would have to youtube how to fix everything.

I prefer 68, but open.

$35000

Anyone know of good sites to look?

|I live in AZ, so barrett jackson is an option :drive:

My dad and I restored a 1966 Mustang Fastback when I was 16. This was pre internet (for the masses anyway). We live in Michigan but found the car for sale at a car show in Tennessee. The great thing is that there are many resources to buy Mustang parts. My dad is super talented when it comes to auto repair and I’m not so I won’t be much help to you. However what I wanted to say is…..the experience of restoring the car with my dad is priceless and the Mustang will be stay in our family for generations. I wish you luck!

Bring a trailer is a good auction site. You can set alerts to be notified when a specific make/model comes up. The site also has super knowledgeable people in the chat stream for each auction voicing their opinion regarding condition, price etc. learned a lot when I was looking at Corvairs

BAT is great but like all auctions sites, more expensive (theres a 4% fee on top of the purchase price iirc). I prefer classiccars.com

Reactions: KGB
Im not a mechanic. At first I was thinking father son project. but I would have to youtube how to fix everything.

I prefer 68, but open.

$35000
You got Chet money? How about you buy me an ‘87 Daytona Shelby?
j/k GB I’m happy for you.

66’ coup was my first car.

Check the floorboards and cowl. Both prime rust spots.

I’m working on a 72 Datsun but the mustang is next. I prefer resto-mods over original.

There is also a Bring a Trailer facebook group. It is separate from the auction site..just people listing old cars for sale. I recently bought a 77 Toyota Landcruiser from there.

Whoa... $35k for an old classic and neither you nor your son have repair skills? What kind of shape is the $35k car in now? It doesn't sound like you have a particular one in mind now. But when you do, Will it need another $35k of repairs? My son is an ASE-certified master technician, but I don't think I would undertake this project even with his help.

66’ coup was my first car.

Check the floorboards and cowl. Both prime rust spots.

I’m working on a 72 Datsun but the mustang is next. I prefer resto-mods over original.
Had a 72 240 20ish years ago. Moved to Mammoth and drove that car in a year where we got 30 feet of snow. Used chains maybe 3 times. Learned excellent car control that year. Lol. Just turn the wheel a bit a poke the gas, around the turn you go.

Tuning the SU carbs was a ***** at that altitude though.

I have a 69 Coupe sitting in my garage. My family has owned it since 1974. In high school in the 80's, I poured every dollar I earned into that car. However, it has pretty much sat for the past 20-25 years and isn't running. I really should sell it, but this was my first car and it isn't costing me anything to keep it. My wife insists we will get it back to running shape if we come into some extra money, but is seems there is always something when you have kids. This isn't exactly a desirable car being a coupe and all, as most want a fastback, but the built 351w it has in it would blow the doors off most things on the road back then. In my teens, I remember only losing two races--a 396 SS Chevelle, which is a beast of a car and then one time I lined up against this old 50's truck with a wood bed and these huge drag slicks. I don't know what it had in it, but it left me like I wasn't there. 30+ years later, I still remember the embarrassment of that night.

Whoa... $35k for an old classic and neither you nor your son have repair skills? What kind of shape is the $35k car in now? It doesn't sound like you have a particular one in mind now. But when you do, Will it need another $35k of repairs? My son is an ASE-certified master technician, but I don't think I would undertake this project even with his help.
you would be surprised. ive joined a few facebook groups and you can buy a drivable one for like 15-20K

barrett jackson sold a really nice one for 35k. like totally restored. but just wasnt a special number, etc. its doable

I have a 69 Coupe sitting in my garage. My family has owned it since 1974. In high school in the 80's, I poured every dollar I earned into that car. However, it has pretty much sat for the past 20-25 years and isn't running. I really should sell it, but this was my first car and it isn't costing me anything to keep it. My wife insists we will get it back to running shape if we come into some extra money, but is seems there is always something when you have kids. This isn't exactly a desirable car being a coupe and all, as most want a fastback, but the built 351w it has in it would blow the doors off most things on the road back then. In my teens, I remember only losing two races--a 396 SS Chevelle, which is a beast of a car and then one time I lined up against this old 50's truck with a wood bed and these huge drag slicks. I don't know what it had in it, but it left me like I wasn't there. 30+ years later, I still remember the embarrassment of that night.
Im recently empty nester. I would keep it unless you hate it :)

My dad and I restored a 1966 Mustang Fastback when I was 16. This was pre internet (for the masses anyway). We live in Michigan but found the car for sale at a car show in Tennessee. The great thing is that there are many resources to buy Mustang parts. My dad is super talented when it comes to auto repair and I’m not so I won’t be much help to you. However what I wanted to say is…..the experience of restoring the car with my dad is priceless and the Mustang will be stay in our family for generations. I wish you luck!
I think my son is interested. hes 24. maybe something that just needs some help. I cant weld a new floor pan in or anything

$35k for a 60s Mustang is a good chunk of money. You should get a good driver for that, in good shape but not so nice that you'll freak out driving it.

I got a 65 Impala on Bring A Trailer for $35k a while back. 396 convertible 4 speed. It's awesome. BAT is a good site, and people vet the hell out of cars in the comment section. That's free expertise. You don't have to go that route, but I wouldn't dismiss it.

Hmmm, well, I'm not an expert, I've never owned a classic car but I am a car guy. I love all cars and I'm sort of an addict you could say. So, my brother-in-law has several old Mustangs in various conditions. He's got two 66's, a 68 Mercury Cougar, an 86 GT and I think a 66 parts only Mustang. The thing with old Mustangs (imho) is that I find them terribly uncomfortable (I'm 6'4"), the steering wheel is unusually large and it hits my thighs, it's kinda vague and overall I guess I've been left disappointed each time I get into one. I have to admit I love the hell out of the way old 60's cars look but factory original Mustangs don't ride all that well, they're pretty wallowy, steering is vague and there's always something wrong. And if a complete hack got a hold of it at some point, it's going to be a mess to deal with, especially half assed body work, unsafe repairs, sketchy wiring, etc. Even on a good, well sorted one, I mean, there always seems to be a part missing/broken that you need to track down. It's a labor of love and if you're not mechanically inclined, you should find someone who is first because these cars are a half a century old now and things are going to break if not already broken. The other thing is that you MUST have someone check it out for rust. Floorboards are extremely common as are the cowls because water sits on the cowls and rusts those cowls out then the holes caused by that leaks into the floorboards. Quarters get rusty and repaired with bondo, brake lines rust, fuel lines rust, gas tanks rust, if the carb gets out of adjustment (too rich or too lean) it's not a big deal if you've repaired or rebuilt a carb before but it's kind of a pain the first time you tackle it and if you can't rebuild it yourself then you'll need to find someone who can. The thing is, I don't think carbs have been standard in cars since the mid 80's so, again, while it's not a big deal, it is if you can't find someone who knows what they're doing. The other thing is, is that you're going to be putting yourself and your child in a 50+ year old vehicle that really isn't going to hold up well in an accident, I would take that into consideration. A car like that really won't hold up well against a modern truck or suv especially if the frame has been put back together poorly or is super sketchy underneath a coat of fresh black paint. However, if you're hell bent on it, a pre-purchase inspection by an expert is the way to go here. You can't go by looks alone. And I agree 100% with DeadHead, BAT is an excellent site to go by but I would still recommend a PPI by a independent mechanic that knows Mustangs. Whatever that cost is (for the PPI) it will be worth it, even for peace of mind.

However, if it were me, for $35k, I'd buy a newer Mustang GT w/a manual transmission like this one for example. This is just the first one that popped up under $35k but it's a V8 w/460 HP, clean title, it's newer, safer, more comfortable, more reliable and imho a LOT more enjoyable. I would STILL pay for an independent PPI (Pre-Purchase Inspection) to be safe. And, honestly, you don't have to drive it like an idiot to enjoy it. What people don't understand is that a newer Mustang GT handles EXTREMELY well. I've driven several and I can tell you they're a LOT of fun on a winding back road, it's not just a one trick pony (fast in a straight line.) Again, just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Hmmm, well, I'm not an expert, I've never owned a classic car but I am a car guy. I love all cars and I'm sort of an addict you could say. So, my brother-in-law has several old Mustangs in various conditions. He's got two 66's, a 68 Mercury Cougar, an 86 GT and I think a 66 parts only Mustang. The thing with old Mustangs (imho) is that I find them terribly uncomfortable (I'm 6'4"), the steering wheel is unusually large and it hits my thighs, it's kinda vague and overall I guess I've been left disappointed each time I get into one. I have to admit I love the hell out of the way old 60's cars look but factory original Mustangs don't ride all that well, they're pretty wallowy, steering is vague and there's always something wrong. And if a complete hack got a hold of it at some point, it's going to be a mess to deal with, especially half assed body work, unsafe repairs, sketchy wiring, etc. Even on a good, well sorted one, I mean, there always seems to be a part missing/broken that you need to track down. It's a labor of love and if you're not mechanically inclined, you should find someone who is first because these cars are a half a century old now and things are going to break if not already broken. The other thing is that you MUST have someone check it out for rust. Floorboards are extremely common as are the cowls because water sits on the cowls and rusts those cowls out then the holes caused by that leaks into the floorboards. Quarters get rusty and repaired with bondo, brake lines rust, fuel lines rust, gas tanks rust, if the carb gets out of adjustment (too rich or too lean) it's not a big deal if you've repaired or rebuilt a carb before but it's kind of a pain the first time you tackle it and if you can't rebuild it yourself then you'll need to find someone who can. The thing is, I don't think carbs have been standard in cars since the mid 80's so, again, while it's not a big deal, it is if you can't find someone who knows what they're doing. The other thing is, is that you're going to be putting yourself and your child in a 50+ year old vehicle that really isn't going to hold up well in an accident, I would take that into consideration. A car like that really won't hold up well against a modern truck or suv especially if the frame has been put back together poorly or is super sketchy underneath a coat of fresh black paint. However, if you're hell bent on it, a pre-purchase inspection by an expert is the way to go here. You can't go by looks alone. And I agree 100% with DeadHead, BAT is an excellent site to go by but I would still recommend a PPI by a independent mechanic that knows Mustangs. Whatever that cost is (for the PPI) it will be worth it, even for peace of mind.

However, if it were me, for $35k, I'd buy a newer Mustang GT w/a manual transmission like this one for example. This is just the first one that popped up under $35k but it's a V8 w/460 HP, clean title, it's newer, safer, more comfortable, more reliable and imho a LOT more enjoyable. I would STILL pay for an independent PPI (Pre-Purchase Inspection) to be safe. And, honestly, you don't have to drive it like an idiot to enjoy it. What people don't understand is that a newer Mustang GT handles EXTREMELY well. I've driven several and I can tell you they're a LOT of fun on a winding back road, it's not just a one trick pony (fast in a straight line.) Again, just my 2 cents.
Kinda where I was going to go. For sub 35k I’d be looking at early Shelby GT500s, 2007-2009 with low mileage.

Last edited:

Everything Sullie said is 100% spot on. I would still get an old one because I know my way around that car and I think all the mustangs made in the past 25 are are ugly.

I’ll add that If this is for you, good. If it’s for a young driver, don’t even think about it. The first time they punch the gas they’re going 180° the other way into an embankment or worse.

Last edited:
There is also a Bring a Trailer facebook group. It is separate from the auction site..just people listing old cars for sale. I recently bought a 77 Toyota Landcruiser from there.
Someone took my neighbor's green Landcruiser of around that year away on a trailer a month ago. I hope it doesn't come back.

My second car (my first was an '84 Volvo hand-me-down) was a '69 Mustang convertible. I can't believe my Dad let me have it. It was incredibly rare (apparently they only made a few thousand with the convertible/medium-sized engine). It was in decent shape but some jackhole backed into me when they couldn't complete a u-turn and ended up doing a hit-and run. We never got it repainted after the body work (which looked super clean) and it needed new interior. So rather than restoring everything, my Dad sold it using Hemmings to some guy from New Zealand of all places. He wanted it so bad that he flew his entire family out to SoCal, went to Disneyland with his wife and kids, and came and bought the car and shipped it across the ocean back to NZ. Looking back those 30 years I really wish we would have kept it because it would be a high-dollar vehicle right now.

No suggestions on where to shop, just thought I'd share. My dad's owned at least 5 Mustangs in his life. So my family is a big fan. Good luck on your search.

WOW, thank you for the great post. im not hell bent. Just thinking out loud and starting to join facebook groups that buy and sell them. Thank you :drive:

Everything Sullie said is 100% spot on. I would still get an old one because I know my way around that car and I think all the mustangs made in the past 25 are are ugly.

I’ll add that If this is for you, good. If it’s for a young driver, don’t even think about it. The first time they punch the gas they’re going 180° the other way into an embankment or worse.
Nah, its for me.

Just debating if buy cheaper and make it a project with my son )(24) or buy something more complete. I think id rather buy something put together well. I'll be the driver 99%

I need to regester at barrett jackson it looks like, but saw a screen shot of someone walking away with a sweet black one for 35k all redone.

again, not an immediate thing. just kicking tires literally

I need to regester at barrett jackson it looks like, but saw a screen shot of someone walking away with a sweet black one for 35k all redone.

There are a lot of hidden fees at Barrett Jackson. I can’t remember if it’s the buyer or seller, or both who pay them, but I don’t think it’s a great place to buy an ordinary car.

There are a lot of hidden fees at Barrett Jackson. I can’t remember if it’s the buyer or seller, or both who pay them, but I don’t think it’s a great place to buy an ordinary car.
Good point. I think its 10% to the buyer.

and maybe more

Are we talking all original or resto-rod? I would not buy any car at any price from the 60's or 70's
unless I knew how to deal with that era's electronics. Do you know how to set the points?

Yes that 60's Mustang looks cool. but the ride. handling. steering, and brakes will only be good
for shot trips. If thats what you want go for it.

I have always dreamed of owning an air-cooled 911. I am also not mechanically inclined so get your concerns, etc. I think you really need a profesional inspection by someone knowledgeable before you make the jump. I plan to eventually get my dream car but I really need to deal with the hard part which is convincing the wife I can do it.

Last edited:
I go through phases of wanting a muscle car again. Every time I want one I try to remember what it was like driving one in the summer on sticky vinyl seats with no air conditioning. Also, never feeling confident that the thing would start. Oof. That's hard to relate to since new cars with their fuel injection and electronic ignitions are reliable as it gets and they all pretty much have creature comforts like A/C and power everything. If you're in AZ, you'll definitely want one that has A/C or plan to add it.

Personally, I don't think I can ever bring myself to buy an old car at this point. Where I live, those things rusted out 5-10 years into life and I can only imagine how weak the frame is on one that's 50+ years old if it hasn't had a full resto. Maybe a car that's been a southwestern car its whole life would be solid. But I don't think you'd get that in your price range.

Good luck to you. Hope it works out.

I go through phases of wanting a muscle car again. Every time I want one I try to remember what it was like driving one in the summer on sticky vinyl seats with no air conditioning. Also, never feeling confident that the thing would start. Oof. That's hard to relate to since new cars with their fuel injection and electronic ignitions are reliable as it gets and they all pretty much have creature comforts like A/C and power everything. If you're in AZ, you'll definitely want one that has A/C or plan to add it.

Personally, I don't think I can ever bring myself to buy an old car at this point. Where I live, those things rusted out 5-10 years into life and I can only imagine how weak the frame is on one that's 50+ years old if it hasn't had a full resto. Maybe a car that's been a southwestern car its whole life would be solid. But I don't think you'd get that in your price range.

This is exactly where I’m at. Had a built big block 66 Chevelle and loved it. But 50yr old cars definitely have some downsides. I desperately miss the V8 rumble but when I look at a new-ish corvette/mustang/Camaro etc it just feels like what everyone else is driving.

My dream for the last 30+ years was to have a '68-'70 Chevelle. Thirty years ago, the prices were a lot more attainable. Today .... oooof. I doubt it will happen, but who knows.

Yep the joys of having points under the distributor cap thst always needed adjusting . As a 16 year old having to rely on my dad all the time to get my car running was terrible.

And speaking of driving a car in hot weather, try being in Colorado and driving a rear wheel drive 69 Stang with 375-400 horses on ice. My 19 year old self with my then girlfriend (now wife 34 years going strong) coming back from a mall one night and some flash freeze happened still lives in my mind as one of worst driving nights I have ever had. How we got home I don’t know. I do remember that my wife wrecked her 74 Vega a night later on the same icy roads.

Looks like barrett jackson is in scottsdale this week

list

Users who are viewing this thread