What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Think I'm In Trouble... (1 Viewer)

GoldenBear

Footballguy
Interesting story:

This year, there was a rule proposed in our 12-team redraft money league: no transactions between 6:00am - 6:00pm...the rationalization: people who work at a computer aren't able to pilfer the waiver wire this way.

This week: me and my father-in-law make a trade on Thursday night, I send an e-mail that night confirming it. That night, the Commish sends an e-mail saying that the trade will be valid "pending the other owner's response". Today, I find out that when my father-in-law confirmed the trade at 7:50am in Friday, it wasn't official because of the 6:00am - 6:00pm rule.

Fine. We both confirm the trade today, and the commish says the trade is official, but both rosters are frozen Fri. at 5:00pm, per league rules. Consequently, the players were traded, but any players involved in the trade are no longer in our line-ups.

Had we known that confirmation was required between 6:00am and 6:00pm (keep in mind this is a new rule), my father-in-law would have confirmed the e-mail IMMEDIATELY Thursday night.

To make matters worse: in our league, rosters are due at 5:00pm on Thursday and 4 teams broke the rule this week...the commish sent a "warning" e-mail.

So I have one method of retaliation: the commish is unbending, even though the intent of the rule was not violated. So I forward everyone in our league an e-mail earlier this season, where he submitted a roster changed that allowed him to win at 10:06am (6 minutes after the deadline). No one had noticed the discretion, and it allowed him to win unfairly. I just figured that if he was going to enforce our trade "to the letter of the law", then he should retroactively give himself a loss. After all, it's the rules...

Sounds like some unnecessarily complicated rules in this league.
Yes...it was a Pandora's Box that was originally meant to protect owners at work who can't check e-mail. I would have proposed a structured waiver wire (e.g. worst team gets first pick), but the owners are very conservative.

I wouldn't make a big deal out of this one, but I would make a screenshot of the Commish's 10:06 lineup change for future insurance.

The trade will be in full effect for next week, right? Let it go.

I wouldn't make a big deal out of this one, but I would make a screenshot of the Commish's 10:06 lineup change for future insurance.The trade will be in full effect for next week, right? Let it go.
Unfortunately, the rule has been in effect, and this is the first time the commish decided to "clarify" the rule by making an example of us. He could have warned us (like he warned the teams who don't submit their rosters on time), but he decided to be unflexing.An update: I forwarded the entire league his e-mail with the roster change at 10:06...I didn't want to appear the blackmail him, so I didn't send it to him first. He conceded a retroactive loss, at which point, I allowed the rule interpretation.I know I lost, but maybe next time he'll realize that I don't back down, nor do I cheat or play dirty.

I wouldn't make a big deal out of this one, but I would make a screenshot of the Commish's 10:06 lineup change for future insurance.
:headbang: good idea. i can't think of a good reason to have these unnecessary rules and they smell slightly fishy to me. so, if you can't be at a computer often enough to acquire free agents, why are you in the league? maybe join another league. or lengthen the draft so that there are fewer big free agents to acquire. i really don't understand how this is so difficult when it could be overcome with some flexibility in the rules to make it so much more straightforward.

I wouldn't make a big deal out of this one, but I would make a screenshot of the Commish's 10:06 lineup change for future insurance.The trade will be in full effect for next week, right? Let it go.
Unfortunately, the rule has been in effect, and this is the first time the commish decided to "clarify" the rule by making an example of us. He could have warned us (like he warned the teams who don't submit their rosters on time), but he decided to be unflexing.An update: I forwarded the entire league his e-mail with the roster change at 10:06...I didn't want to appear the blackmail him, so I didn't send it to him first. He conceded a retroactive loss, at which point, I allowed the rule interpretation.I know I lost, but maybe next time he'll realize that I don't back down, nor do I cheat or play dirty.
i don't understand your post. he conceded a retroactive loss when? today? so he had a win he didn't deserve all week and only conceded a loss because you pointed out an entirely different rule? i'm confused about this.

i don't understand your post. he conceded a retroactive loss when? today? so he had a win he didn't deserve all week and only conceded a loss because you pointed out an entirely different rule? i'm confused about this.
Yes, I had seen a minor rule infraction - him submitting a line-up change 6 minutes late - and I ignored it for a couple weeks, but when he decided to disregard any grey area in the rules (e.g. our trade was initiated well before the rosters were frozen), I pointed out that, had he applied his commissioner magnifying glass to his own behavior, he deserved a loss (the change he made resulted in a win).

Sounds like you have some convoluted rules and a couple of weenies in your league.

Sure glad your not in any of mine. (This isn't Mike, is it?...LOL)

:P and this is ######ed "rosters are due at 5:00pm on Thursday"aside from GTDs and new injuries, etc. - any decent league will enable lineups up till game time. THAT would have solved your problems. All league hosting sites allow for this (CBS, MFL, Yahoo, etc.)

:P and this is ######ed "rosters are due at 5:00pm on Thursday"aside from GTDs and new injuries, etc. - any decent league will enable lineups up till game time. THAT would have solved your problems. All league hosting sites allow for this (CBS, MFL, Yahoo, etc.)
Trust me, I would love to change the rules, but it's a league of old guys with a long-standing commish...you have to live with the rules they pass. No matter how difficult.

:P good idea. i can't think of a good reason to have these unnecessary rules and they smell slightly fishy to me. so, if you can't be at a computer often enough to acquire free agents, why are you in the league? maybe join another league. or lengthen the draft so that there are fewer big free agents to acquire. i really don't understand how this is so difficult when it could be overcome with some flexibility in the rules to make it so much more straightforward.
This might be the dumbest thing I've ever heard.The rule is in place to stop the hording of the waiver wire.........who in their right mind would want to be in a league like this?

People have lives outside of fantasy football. A fair league, would implement some kind of waiver system.

First come, first served leagues, are the suck

:P good idea. i can't think of a good reason to have these unnecessary rules and they smell slightly fishy to me. so, if you can't be at a computer often enough to acquire free agents, why are you in the league? maybe join another league. or lengthen the draft so that there are fewer big free agents to acquire. i really don't understand how this is so difficult when it could be overcome with some flexibility in the rules to make it so much more straightforward.
This might be the dumbest thing I've ever heard.The rule is in place to stop the hording of the waiver wire.........who in their right mind would want to be in a league like this?

People have lives outside of fantasy football. A fair league, would implement some kind of waiver system.

While I agree with you in principle, this is a family/friend league, so I'm kind of stuck :)

:) ugh, for my own sanity i should just ignore posts like this, but i don't. the cross i bear in life.my whole friggin point was that people have lives outside of football. that is why rules should be straightforward and that is why if this is a problem, just lengthen the draft so that there aren't so many available free agents that are desirable. why do i waste my time repeating the same points? i'm destined to waste time like this in life. back to the more serious discussion...

Yes, I had seen a minor rule infraction - him submitting a line-up change 6 minutes late - and I ignored it for a couple weeks, but when he decided to disregard any grey area in the rules (e.g. our trade was initiated well before the rosters were frozen), I pointed out that, had he applied his commissioner magnifying glass to his own behavior, he deserved a loss (the change he made resulted in a win).
then good for you on that, that's great. but if you're so concerned about winning clean while others are winning dirty...why be in this league? the commissioner may not be, but he sure seems shady to be putting in these myriad unnecessary rules, yet not even adhering to them himself.once again, great job calling him out. i appreciate people who speak out against hypocrites.EDIT: i guess you answered why you're in this league, that it's with friends. but man, this is a lot of annoyance to deal with for a supposedly fun hobby. if i ever had to deal with this type of thing from something i only wanted to derive enjoyment from, i'd be looking for a new league. i have enough stress in other ares of my life rather than have to deal with this. best of luck going forward here.

Last edited by a moderator:

:) ugh, for my own sanity i should just ignore posts like this, but i don't. the cross i bear in life.my whole friggin point was that people have lives outside of football. that is why rules should be straightforward and that is why if this is a problem, just lengthen the draft so that there aren't so many available free agents that are desirable. why do i waste my time repeating the same points? i'm destined to waste time like this in life. back to the more serious discussion...
So sorry to waste your time with my problems.

:banned: good idea. i can't think of a good reason to have these unnecessary rules and they smell slightly fishy to me. so, if you can't be at a computer often enough to acquire free agents, why are you in the league? maybe join another league. or lengthen the draft so that there are fewer big free agents to acquire. i really don't understand how this is so difficult when it could be overcome with some flexibility in the rules to make it so much more straightforward.

:wall: ugh, for my own sanity i should just ignore posts like this, but i don't. the cross i bear in life.my whole friggin point was that people have lives outside of football. that is why rules should be straightforward and that is why if this is a problem, just lengthen the draft so that there aren't so many available free agents that are desirable. why do i waste my time repeating the same points? i'm destined to waste time like this in life. back to the more serious discussion...
So sorry to waste your time with my problems.
huh? :confused: when was i referring to you in that entire post? your league yes, but when to your concern, specifically? when did i quote anything that you wrote?if it wasn't clear, i was responding 100% to wrigley's misinterpretation of my post. ease up.

Last edited by a moderator:
:banned: good idea. i can't think of a good reason to have these unnecessary rules and they smell slightly fishy to me. so, if you can't be at a computer often enough to acquire free agents, why are you in the league? maybe join another league. or lengthen the draft so that there are fewer big free agents to acquire. i really don't understand how this is so difficult when it could be overcome with some flexibility in the rules to make it so much more straightforward.

:confused: ugh, for my own sanity i should just ignore posts like this, but i don't. the cross i bear in life.my whole friggin point was that people have lives outside of football. that is why rules should be straightforward and that is why if this is a problem, just lengthen the draft so that there aren't so many available free agents that are desirable. why do i waste my time repeating the same points? i'm destined to waste time like this in life. back to the more serious discussion...
Because your point is wrong(it doesn't matter how many times you repeat it, it's still wrong).Lengthen the draft? Less attractive FA's..........WHAT???? How about a waiver system that allows owners, who can't be at their computer all day, a shot at picking up the best FA's? Something say a little bit more reasonable.

If had reasonable rules to begin with, they would have this problem.

The biggest problem with the rule is that it still doesn't solve the basic problem.

I mean...can everyone get on their computer at EXACTLY 6 PM? What about the guy stuck in traffic? What about the guy dealing with his kid getting in trouble at school? Exact times like that do absolutley nothing to alleviate the intial concern. In no way do they even things out.

Been playing a lot of years (before the internet even) in a lot of different type leagues...but you got some wacko rules there in your league!

Another option: E-mail the commish's past 10 lineup to his opponent only and ask him not to reveal where he got it. Let him raise Cain complaining and give the commish something to deal with.

Sorry, election season. Dirty politics. This is your October surprise. You run for Commish and win after impeaching the old one.

At least you didn;t claim Baltimore off waivers on Wendsday night, insert them in your startng line-up, leave town for a hometown football championship reunion. Return late

Saturday night/Sunday AM and find out the commishes daddy talked his son into takeing them off your team and inserting them into your opponets starting line-up.

I thought I'd seen it all around here! Someone always comes up with one better espespecially daddy - son tandrem leagues it seems!

Buckeye, I hope this is your last season in that league.

Golden Bear, you have some strange rules. Ultimately, you have to grin & bear it or run like the wind to another league. If the rules make it no fun; find another. If this is not a big stressor, pay attention to FBG & take their $.

At least you didn;t claim Baltimore off waivers on Wendsday night, insert them in your startng line-up, leave town for a hometown football championship reunion. Return late Saturday night/Sunday AM and find out the commishes daddy talked his son into takeing them off your team and inserting them into your opponets starting line-up.I thought I'd seen it all around here! Someone always comes up with one better espespecially daddy - son tandrem leagues it seems!
But it was week two so it was all good.How about the guy at work who doesn't log out of his team. The next guy comes along and drops all his players. :thumbdown:

Buckeye, I hope this is your last season in that league. Golden Bear, you have some strange rules. Ultimately, you have to grin & bear it or run like the wind to another league. If the rules make it no fun; find another. If this is not a big stressor, pay attention to FBG & take their $.
Heh, I'll just have to be extra anal about every transaction that I make. I really do appreciate the feedback, though, and it's nice to know that the waiver wire rule sounds as Machiavellian to people here as it does to me.An update: I didn't think it would be right to blackmail the commissioner into approving the trade (as he should have done in the first place), so I presented my argument as well as I could, and when he refused to budge because "a rule is a rule", I pointed out to everyone in the league that he made the illegal roster change and he was forced to give himself a loss.I didn't really want to do it, since he's my fiance's uncle, but I was upset and did want my pound of flesh. Now that I got it, I'm going move on. Thanks for letting me vent, though.

GoldenBear said:
While I agree with you in principle, this is a family/friend league, so I'm kind of stuck :yes:
You seem to make excuses a few times why you are "forced" to play in this league with rules you are aware of and know most leagues have moved away from a long time ago, but can't change.

GoldenBear said:
Bushman9 said:
Buckeye, I hope this is your last season in that league.

Golden Bear, you have some strange rules. Ultimately, you have to grin & bear it or run like the wind to another league. If the rules make it no fun; find another. If this is not a big stressor, pay attention to FBG & take their $.
Heh, I'll just have to be extra anal about every transaction that I make. I really do appreciate the feedback, though, and it's nice to know that the waiver wire rule sounds as Machiavellian to people here as it does to me.

An update: I didn't think it would be right to blackmail the commissioner into approving the trade (as he should have done in the first place), so I presented my argument as well as I could, and when he refused to budge because "a rule is a rule", I pointed out to everyone in the league that he made the illegal roster change and he was forced to give himself a loss.

I didn't really want to do it, since he's my fiance's uncle, but I was upset and did want my pound of flesh. Now that I got it, I'm going move on. Thanks for letting me vent, though.
So he cheated, and now that someone called him on it he was forced to give himself a loss retroactively? A dishonest commish is something I wouldn't tolerate.

Sounds like some really stupid rules. Rosters are due Thursday night? How freaking dumb is that?! Every league I play in, you can change players all the way up until game time, and that includes the late games. In other words, if I am trying to decide who my number 2 RB is for the week, and they both play at 3 p.m. (Central Time), I can wait until 2:55 p.m. to decide. I don't see any logical reason why every league wouldn't allow that.

:confused: good idea. i can't think of a good reason to have these unnecessary rules and they smell slightly fishy to me. so, if you can't be at a computer often enough to acquire free agents, why are you in the league? maybe join another league. or lengthen the draft so that there are fewer big free agents to acquire. i really don't understand how this is so difficult when it could be overcome with some flexibility in the rules to make it so much more straightforward.
See bolded portion. Blake - buddy, step back and think about what you wrote here. The ability to exceed in a league should not have anything to do with how much time you are able to spend in front of the computer. Are you already drunk?

Users who are viewing this thread