What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Zodiac Killer (1 Viewer)

One

Not Allowed In Mexico
Be sure to watch the video in this LINK :shrug:

Zodiac Killer's Identity And Weapon Uncovered?

SACRAMENTO (CBS13) ― The Zodiac Killer attacked at least eight people, terrorizing the Bay Area and taunting police in the 60's and 70's. Thursday, the FBI confirmed to CBS13 they are now running laboratory tests on some items that may link a suspect to the killer.

The evidence was given to the FBI by a Pollock Pines man who also claims he recently found the disguise worn by the Zodiac Killer during one of his attacks.

"The identity of the Zodiac Killer is Jack Tarrance. He's my stepfather," says Dennis Kaufman.

Eight years of Dennis Kaufman's life has been consumed with attempting to prove the only father he's known since he was five-years-old is none other than the Zodiac Killer.

"This a handwriting comparison I did," says Kaufman, showing handwriting samples claiming to be his father's and the Zodiac Killer's, which bear a striking similarity. Kaufman says it's no coincidence.

"The composite is a dead ringer," says Kaufman, showing composite sketch of the killer next to his stepfather's -- a resemblance that is undeniable between pictures of Jack Tarrance and descriptions of the zodiac.

Kaufman also claims his stepfather, in a taped phone conversation, indirectly admitted being the zodiac killer.

"If I wrote a book and said I think my stepfather is the Zodiac Killer they wouldn't believe me," says Kaufman.

Jack Tarrance died in 2006. Kaufman claims that while going through Tarrance's belongings, there were disturbing findings including a knife still covered with what could possibly be dried blood.

"It could be a knife he barbecued with or a knife he murdered someone with," says Kaufman.

Jack also left behind rolls of undeveloped film. Kaufman plans to hand over the film to the FBI. On one of the rolls he did develop, there were numerous gruesome images.

"Appeared to be people who were murdered," he explains.

Just recently, Kaufman remembered his stepfather asking him several times about the old PA system, which led him to take it apart.

"When I first opened it up that did affect me. My heart skipped a couple of beats when I saw it," he says.

The material folded and tucked inside, Kaufman believes, may unmask the zodiac killer.

"It was a black hood with a zodiac on it," Kaufman explains.

It's similar to the hood worn during the vicious 1968 Lake Berryessa attack, which is the possible key evidence connecting his stepfather to the killings. He also believes there are dozens more victims which were never linked to the Zodiac, including Kaufman's own mother who, he claims, was suffocated.

"She sat there and told me Jack was trying to kill her and I didn't listen. I can only imagine how she felt. Imagine how scary that would be. That is what kept me going this whole time," he says.

The FBI confirmed they are running DNA tests on items that Kaufman gave them.

Kaufman says there are postage stamps sent to him by his stepfather. Authorities are trying to get DNA profile of Jack Tarrance to compare to A DNA profile of the Zodiac Killer. The FBI told CBS13 they could get those results back any day.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually know one of the Zodiac's victims. Hot damn.
Which one?
He was tied up with his girlfriend then repeatedly stabbed. They let themselves be tied up because the guy had a gun and up to that point they thought it was just a robbery. Once they were tied up The Zodiac went nuts and kept stabbing the both of them. Somehow the guy survived. I've never asked to see his scars...he's a buddy's dad and I'm not quite that bold.

Which one?
He was tied up with his girlfriend then repeatedly stabbed. They let themselves be tied up because the guy had a gun and up to that point they thought it was just a robbery. Once they were tied up The Zodiac went nuts and kept stabbing the both of them. Somehow the guy survived. I've never asked to see his scars...he's a buddy's dad and I'm not quite that bold.
Damn. Bryan H. right? Terrible.

Which one?
I know the guy who played him in the movie.Small world, huh?

Which one?
I know the guy who played him in the movie.Small world, huh?
Crazy and effed up but small indeed. :o :blackdot: :X

El Floppo said:
Whoa... interesting stuff- thanks for the lead, One. :goodposting:But :) at Kris Pickel reporting....
The whole Zodiac thing has always creeped me out. I think I became hooked on it when my dad took me by the supposed 'spot' at Lake Berryessa. And jeez Bob, that's pretty crazy you know one of the victims.

El Floppo said:
Whoa... interesting stuff- thanks for the lead, One. :(But :lol: at Kris Pickel reporting....
The whole Zodiac thing has always creeped me out. I think I became hooked on it when my dad took me by the supposed 'spot' at Lake Berryessa. And jeez Bob, that's pretty crazy you know one of the victims.
Yeah, that whole thing is creepy. That movie creeped me out too.

This is huge. I'm very surprised (assuming this is the guy) that he kept his identity concealed this whole time. I wonder if he purposely held onto this stuff so someone would find it when he passed.

This is huge. I'm very surprised (assuming this is the guy) that he kept his identity concealed this whole time. I wonder if he purposely held onto this stuff so someone would find it when he passed.
Usually these types hang onto souveniers of their crimes because they get off reliving them.

Usually these types hang onto souveniers of their crimes because they get off reliving them.
:goodposting: The momentos make their trip down memory lane all the more enjoyable.

Didn't this guy appear on Dateline or some other TV show several years ago, trying to prove that his stepfather was the Zodiac killer? And weren't most of his claims debunked at the time?

That hood is really similar, in the creepy file, to looking like the real one. It sounds like this is new news compared to when the guy died. Too bad he did not expose his step dad when he was alive.

I was watching this interview. What the story above didn't state was that during this tape recorded conversation Kaufman's stepfather laughed and asked Kaufman why he would put in the "I think" part. It was creepy.

Kaufman also claims his stepfather, in a taped phone conversation, indirectly admitted being the zodiac killer.

"If I wrote a book and said I think my stepfather is the Zodiac Killer they wouldn't believe me," says Kaufman

I was watching this interview. What the story above didn't state was that during this tape recorded conversation Kaufman's stepfather laughed and asked Kaufman why he would put in the "I think" part. It was creepy.Kaufman also claims his stepfather, in a taped phone conversation, indirectly admitted being the zodiac killer. "If I wrote a book and said I think my stepfather is the Zodiac Killer they wouldn't believe me," says Kaufman
In truth, that "I think" comment seems ambiguous to me. It cuts both ways, though maybe there's more to that audio recording I'm not aware of. Regardless, this sounds like an interesting lead.

That hood is really similar, in the creepy file, to looking like the real one. It sounds like this is new news compared to when the guy died. Too bad he did not expose his step dad when he was alive.
He did. Guy went to the feds about this 8 years ago. Not sure why it took this long or why all of a sudden he came up with the undeveloped film, the hood and a bloody knife. Another thing that I'm confused about is if they are doing DNA tests why he didn't turn the hood over. My thinking is he legitimately believes he stepfather is the Zodiac but the hood may have been planted. When questioned about it he sounded like he was lying. He also says Jack openly admitted it to him over time. Perhaps since it appears he is living in someones basement he was more concerned with writing a book than actually cracking the case. I wouldn't be surprised if this guy was a murderer as well, honestly.Either way it's all very interesting. He developed a roll of film with gruesome images that appear to show homicides. So if this Tarrance guy has been loosely tied in as a suspect for years why would he continue to have all this evidence sitting around in his house? And why would investigators not have found any of this evidence before? and why would they wait 8 years to run DNA tests if he was a suspect?I'm not saying this isn;t the guy but it all seems like pretty shoddy investigation work. It should be really cut and dried. They should have already found DNA, murder weapons, film and I'd imagine a lot of other stuff. What's the hold up been and why would it all just happen to surface now?Somethings not adding up here.

He did. Guy went to the feds about this 8 years ago. Not sure why it took this long or why all of a sudden he came up with the undeveloped film, the hood and a bloody knife. Another thing that I'm confused about is if they are doing DNA tests why he didn't turn the hood over. My thinking is he legitimately believes he stepfather is the Zodiac but the hood may have been planted. When questioned about it he sounded like he was lying. He also says Jack openly admitted it to him over time. Perhaps since it appears he is living in someones basement he was more concerned with writing a book than actually cracking the case. I wouldn't be surprised if this guy was a murderer as well, honestly.Either way it's all very interesting. He developed a roll of film with gruesome images that appear to show homicides. So if this Tarrance guy has been loosely tied in as a suspect for years why would he continue to have all this evidence sitting around in his house? And why would investigators not have found any of this evidence before? and why would they wait 8 years to run DNA tests if he was a suspect?

I'm not saying this isn;t the guy but it all seems like pretty shoddy investigation work. It should be really cut and dried. They should have already found DNA, murder weapons, film and I'd imagine a lot of other stuff. What's the hold up been and why would it all just happen to surface now?

Somethings not adding up here.
It sounds to me like he only got ahold of the more compelling stuff - the PA system with the hood; the photos; the knife - after his step-father died. I would point out one thing that makes this more compelling - this guy does seem to me to be genuinely motivated to get the truth out as opposed to making money. He could have released all of this stuff to the internet and made a lot of money off of it, particularly the photos, if he'd decided that's what he wanted to do. Instead he's turned the stuff over to the FBI.

I too would like to have an explanation as to why this wasn't followed up on by investigators sooner.

He did. Guy went to the feds about this 8 years ago. Not sure why it took this long or why all of a sudden he came up with the undeveloped film, the hood and a bloody knife. Another thing that I'm confused about is if they are doing DNA tests why he didn't turn the hood over. My thinking is he legitimately believes he stepfather is the Zodiac but the hood may have been planted. When questioned about it he sounded like he was lying. He also says Jack openly admitted it to him over time. Perhaps since it appears he is living in someones basement he was more concerned with writing a book than actually cracking the case. I wouldn't be surprised if this guy was a murderer as well, honestly.Either way it's all very interesting. He developed a roll of film with gruesome images that appear to show homicides. So if this Tarrance guy has been loosely tied in as a suspect for years why would he continue to have all this evidence sitting around in his house? And why would investigators not have found any of this evidence before? and why would they wait 8 years to run DNA tests if he was a suspect?

I'm not saying this isn;t the guy but it all seems like pretty shoddy investigation work. It should be really cut and dried. They should have already found DNA, murder weapons, film and I'd imagine a lot of other stuff. What's the hold up been and why would it all just happen to surface now?

Somethings not adding up here.
It sounds to me like he only got ahold of the more compelling stuff - the PA system with the hood; the photos; the knife - after his step-father died. I would point out one thing that makes this more compelling - this guy does seem to me to be genuinely motivated to get the truth out as opposed to making money. He could have released all of this stuff to the internet and made a lot of money off of it, particularly the photos, if he'd decided that's what he wanted to do. Instead he's turned the stuff over to the FBI.

I too would like to have an explanation as to why this wasn't followed up on by investigators sooner.
It would be great to get some closure on this horrific case, but as some have already stated, Kaufman's theories have been debunked. Part of the problem with the Zodiac case is that all of the "experts" are extremely territorial and go to great lengths to discredit each other. As a Zodiac geek, I will admit that many of the Zodiac suspect theories are very compelling.The fact that the FBI is testing these items seems to me as though they have not rules out Jack Tarrance as a suspect. I'll be looking forward to these results as eagerly as the DNA testing of Arthur Leigh Allen several years ago.

He did. Guy went to the feds about this 8 years ago. Not sure why it took this long or why all of a sudden he came up with the undeveloped film, the hood and a bloody knife. Another thing that I'm confused about is if they are doing DNA tests why he didn't turn the hood over. My thinking is he legitimately believes he stepfather is the Zodiac but the hood may have been planted. When questioned about it he sounded like he was lying. He also says Jack openly admitted it to him over time. Perhaps since it appears he is living in someones basement he was more concerned with writing a book than actually cracking the case. I wouldn't be surprised if this guy was a murderer as well, honestly.Either way it's all very interesting. He developed a roll of film with gruesome images that appear to show homicides. So if this Tarrance guy has been loosely tied in as a suspect for years why would he continue to have all this evidence sitting around in his house? And why would investigators not have found any of this evidence before? and why would they wait 8 years to run DNA tests if he was a suspect?I'm not saying this isn;t the guy but it all seems like pretty shoddy investigation work. It should be really cut and dried. They should have already found DNA, murder weapons, film and I'd imagine a lot of other stuff. What's the hold up been and why would it all just happen to surface now?Somethings not adding up here.
according to the video dude passed away 2 years ago and this guy has been going through all his things. Found this stuffed inside an old amplifier/stereo system. Looks like he found most of this stuff over last two years, but after being debunked as a crackpot didn't want to 'come public' until he had really found all he could.

Could someone explain to me how this guy's story fits in with the David Fincher movie? That's all the contact I've had with the case, and the film seems to make it pretty conclusive that the Zodiac killer died just weeks before they could arrest and charge him.

:goodposting:

Could someone explain to me how this guy's story fits in with the David Fincher movie? That's all the contact I've had with the case, and the film seems to make it pretty conclusive that the Zodiac killer died just weeks before they could arrest and charge him. :goodposting:
I'm not a Zodiacophile, however in the reading I did after the movie it looks to me like Fincher chose one of several suspects, and soft-pedaled the evidence tending toward exoneration enough to make a good movie. Each of the handful of "prime suspects" in that case has both some compelling evidence implicating them, and also some equally compelling evidence that seems to rule them out. I don't recall Tarrence being mentioned in that movie, though it's been a while.

Could someone explain to me how this guy's story fits in with the David Fincher movie? That's all the contact I've had with the case, and the film seems to make it pretty conclusive that the Zodiac killer died just weeks before they could arrest and charge him. :lmao:
The David Fincher movie Zodiac, is based on the Robert Graysmith books, Zodiac and Zodiac Unmasked. The film stays true to those books in which Graysmith names Arthur Leigh Allen as the Zodiac. Like all Zodiac theorists, he makes a great case, but also at times blurs the line between fact and conjecture.

Could someone explain to me how this guy's story fits in with the David Fincher movie? That's all the contact I've had with the case, and the film seems to make it pretty conclusive that the Zodiac killer died just weeks before they could arrest and charge him. :confused:
The David Fincher movie Zodiac, is based on the Robert Graysmith books, Zodiac and Zodiac Unmasked. The film stays true to those books in which Graysmith names Arthur Leigh Allen as the Zodiac. Like all Zodiac theorists, he makes a great case, but also at times blurs the line between fact and conjecture.
:goodposting: There are plenty of Zodiac-geek sites out there that explain the holes in Fincher's film (which is fascinating nonetheless.) In particular the phone call which allegedly refers to Zodiac/Allen's birthday. Plus, Allen on his deathbed was still vehemently denying he was the Zodiac. An attention-seeker like the Zodiac wouldn't do that.

Strange Twist With Zodiac Killer Suspect And FBI

SACRAMENTO (CBS13) ― The FBI has not released results of DNA tests that may link a suspect to the Zodiac killer but there is a bizarre twist uncovered by CBS 13. The twist is where Jack Tarrance once lived.

In 1979, "Roberta" lived in the same Carmichael trailer park as Jack Tarrance, the man the FBI is investigating for connections to the Zodiac.

Roberta remembers Jack Tarrance as a man who kept his family close, almost isolated from others.

"He was a controller," she said. "He controlled everybody and everything around him."

Tarrance's stepson, Dennis Kaufman, has spent the last eight years gathering evidence, trying to prove his stepfather is the killer who terrorized the Bay Area in the 1960's and 70's.

The circumstantial case Kaufman has built against his stepfather is strong enough for the FBI to run DNA tests to see if Jack Tarrance could be the Zodiac Killer.

"He always lived in a trailer, so he could pick up and go at any time," Kaufman said. "He always wanted to be mobile."

The trailer park where Tarrance once lived was on Orange Grove Avenue in Sacramento, but it no longer exists.

Here's the twist: The trailer park where Jack Tarrance once lived is now the location of the local FBI headquarters. FBI agents who could ultimately prove or disprove Tarrance's connection to the Zodiac now work at the same place he once lived.

Tarrance died two years ago but his words still haunt Roberta who wonders if Jack Tarrance was a man with a sick sense of humor or a man with disturbing secrets.

Roberta remembers Jack Tarrance saying, "You ain't been hunting until you hunt people."

At the time Roberta assumed he had to be talking about hunting people during a war. She's waiting to see if the DNA test links Jack Tarrance to the Zodiac Killer.
Link

Strange Twist With Zodiac Killer Suspect And FBI

SACRAMENTO (CBS13) ― The FBI has not released results of DNA tests that may link a suspect to the Zodiac killer but there is a bizarre twist uncovered by CBS 13. The twist is where Jack Tarrance once lived.

In 1979, "Roberta" lived in the same Carmichael trailer park as Jack Tarrance, the man the FBI is investigating for connections to the Zodiac.

Roberta remembers Jack Tarrance as a man who kept his family close, almost isolated from others.

"He was a controller," she said. "He controlled everybody and everything around him."

Tarrance's stepson, Dennis Kaufman, has spent the last eight years gathering evidence, trying to prove his stepfather is the killer who terrorized the Bay Area in the 1960's and 70's.

The circumstantial case Kaufman has built against his stepfather is strong enough for the FBI to run DNA tests to see if Jack Tarrance could be the Zodiac Killer.

"He always lived in a trailer, so he could pick up and go at any time," Kaufman said. "He always wanted to be mobile."

The trailer park where Tarrance once lived was on Orange Grove Avenue in Sacramento, but it no longer exists.

Here's the twist: The trailer park where Jack Tarrance once lived is now the location of the local FBI headquarters. FBI agents who could ultimately prove or disprove Tarrance's connection to the Zodiac now work at the same place he once lived.

Tarrance died two years ago but his words still haunt Roberta who wonders if Jack Tarrance was a man with a sick sense of humor or a man with disturbing secrets.

Roberta remembers Jack Tarrance saying, "You ain't been hunting until you hunt people."

At the time Roberta assumed he had to be talking about hunting people during a war. She's waiting to see if the DNA test links Jack Tarrance to the Zodiac Killer.
Link
The DNA was coming from inside the building!!! :lmao:

I thought Fincher's film was very good. I'll never be able to listen to Donovan's "Hurdy Gurdy Man" the same again.

Why does this stuff fascinate me so much?
I think many people are simultaneously sickened and curious about the depravity of human nature. It's the old checking out a car crash when you're driving down the road. You don't want to look but you do.

Why does this stuff fascinate me so much?
I think many people are simultaneously sickened and curious about the depravity of human nature. It's the old checking out a car crash when you're driving down the road. You don't want to look but you do.
And the whole serial killer that taunts the police is always a grabber. It could be a friggin lifetime movie but if it's about a serial killer that taunts the police I'm watching it...

why would he still have possession of that stuff? wouldn't the FBI confiscate it for testing or evidence? doesn't make sense this guy would still have it

Users who are viewing this thread