What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Wheel of Time - Books only (1 Viewer)

beer 30

Footballguy
Place to discuss books so we don't muck up the TV series thread. Many have read the series, I am just finishing book 1 of 14  :eek:

This graphic has me thinking I might not finish but giving it a go.

Listened to all of them this year then got to book 6 on the re-listen before the show started. For the length of the series I felt like it was a great finish and worth it. 

It's a definite slog, but I enjoyed them.  I saw a note on IMDB that the books had 2,782 named characters.  

I thought some of the books dragged, and sometimes I wondered if I wanted to finish reading them.  But, if you are going to create a universe of that size, there's a lot of detail to fill in.

It's a definite slog, but I enjoyed them.  I saw a note on IMDB that the books had 2,782 named characters.  

I thought some of the books dragged, and sometimes I wondered if I wanted to finish reading them.  But, if you are going to create a universe of that size, there's a lot of detail to fill in.
I keep hearing this and I'm sure it will become clearer to me. Book 1 just seems to be what every other science/fantasy book is, set in a world with multiple races that are coming together against a dark force.

Read through book 6 in my younger days, then kinda just tapered off. I love the world itself and many of the characters, but felt the story was moving extremely slow. My brother went through all of them and swears by the last two; thinks Sanderson killed the ending and it was well worth the journey. I thought about picking it back up but the time demand is just so intimidating, think I may have to be satisfied with the show. 

Having said all that, Lan is one of my all time favorite characters for some reason. Like him on the show, just wish they'd made him a bit more grizzled looking and battle hardened.  

I keep hearing this and I'm sure it will become clearer to me. Book 1 just seems to be what every other science/fantasy book is, set in a world with multiple races that are coming together against a dark force.
As I understand it, Jordan started out trying to do a Trilogy but that plan didn’t last long. As a result,  the first book has the typical pace you would expect and has a very LoTR feel to it about group going on a quest. The scope and the story greatly expand after that first book. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I think we need a 3rd thread - people who are going through the books, but are early in the stages.  Don't need for know-it-alls like @The Gator spoiling things for us!!  ;)  

Btw, Gator, I have slowly started listening to Book 2 again.   I had to go back a bit to refresh, so I am almost back to where I was :lol:  

I think we need a 3rd thread - people who are going through the books, but are early in the stages.  Don't need for know-it-alls like @The Gator spoiling things for us!!  ;)  

Btw, Gator, I have slowly started listening to Book 2 again.   I had to go back a bit to refresh, so I am almost back to where I was :lol:  
Nice! The Great Hunt chapter 8 is one of my favorite in the series. Peak Lan :lol:  #sheepherder

Watching the show is making me remember more and more things from the books. I didn’t think they dragged, but he did keep adding more and more sub plots that were a good read and added layers to the world he created, but didn’t really add to the main plot. 

I will try to make sure any book related posts I make don't go further than show related material if I post here. If I try to answer a question, I'll likely look up some wiki-type information to make sure the question or my answer doesn't go too far.

IIRC, Jordan wasn't sure there would ever be another book, and the book 1 finish is very weak. I think he had a trilogy mentality, but it may have come after deciding to write the second book. 

I believe it's the 2nd book which has the first big finish I like, but I'm not looking it up to confirm right now.

Not having spoiler tags is a pain. I know in the past you could change the color of text on a forum to hide things. Let's test it below:

Mat is my favorite character.

That works on my end. I just changed the text color to white. 

BTW, there are some things I wouldn't even think about spoiling like character deaths, especially from the later books.

I have the first book, and rented all but that and the last one from my local library, and I remember them being fun, but there’s a lot of ground to cover, and the names and storylines just started to run together at one point.

It's a fun series, imo. First book is one of my favorites ever. 

Agreed - it is a fun series! I liked 1 but like 2 & 3 better and while it's almost a different type of story, 4-6 were really enjoyable also. Plus, I'm a big Sanderson fan (actually introduced to him when I found out he was finishing the WoT though) so I do like 11 to the end.

edit to add: those are the better books in the series. I have new appreciation for the middle "slog" books on further re-reads. Not to the level of the others, but I don't skip them either.

Btw, Gator, I have slowly started listening to

Book

2 again.   I had to go back a bit to refresh, so I am almost back to where I was :lol:  
Can't speak for anyone else, but as an avid book reader, I'm perfectly fine kinda watching this thread progress through the books and chiming in with book appropriate content while trying to avoid specific spoilers of later books. (I say try, right?)

FWIW, first 9 books where out when I started the series and I re-read them for each new book except maybe once or twice. Plus I did a full re-read last year waiting for the TV show. So put it at 6 - 7 re-reads for the first 9 books and tapering down from there? Probably a minimum of 3 times through all but the last book. However, I really enjoy hearing the journey, thoughts and theories from new readers along the way. :nerd:

Can't speak for anyone else, but as an avid book reader, I'm perfectly fine kinda watching this thread progress through the books and chiming in with book appropriate content while trying to avoid specific spoilers of later books. (I say try, right?)

FWIW, first 9 books where out when I started the series and I re-read them for each new book except maybe once or twice. Plus I did a full re-read last year waiting for the TV show. So put it at 6 - 7 re-reads for the first 9 books and tapering down from there? Probably a minimum of 3 times through all but the last book. However, I really enjoy hearing the journey, thoughts and theories from new readers along the way. :nerd:
I already don't know where to post thoughts.  Honestly most of my thoughts now are about differences in the show and how I'm surprised after 6 episodes they seem to be ahead of where I am in book two on some things, and wondering if they actually are or if it's just TV stuff.  I guess I will find out in time.  

I already don't know where to post thoughts.  Honestly most of my thoughts now are about differences in the show and how I'm surprised after 6 episodes they seem to be ahead of where I am in book two on some things, and wondering if they actually are or if it's just TV stuff.  I guess I will find out in time.  
The show is pulling stuff alluded to in later books in to start with a big, broad world, with a hint at some of the political machinations (at least at the White Tower for now). It's telling the same story, but not just from the viewpoint of the country farmboy like the first book tends to do. I'll leave it at that to try to keep this mostly spoiler-free, but you're not wrong. There are pieces or plot lines from later books being at least teased at or setup now.

As far as theories or predictions go, I am not sure I really have any.    I mean, I guess this time around the Dragon will be good and thwart evil is a thought but not a very bold one.  :lol:        I guess I am still trying to piece together where I think the main core characters will fit and how the abilities they have will fight into the big picture.   

What I love so far is the detail.   I guess from comments that this will start to drag, but right now it seems like there is always something or somebody you need to be paying attention to in the background - who shot the arrow at Rand, who could be Dark Friends, etc..  

What I don't love so far is some of the dialogue.   "wool head", "Perrin is good with women", things like that drag a bit into the teen drama territory for me and grate me a little.  

The show is pulling stuff alluded to in later books in to start with a big, broad world, with a hint at some of the political machinations (at least at the White Tower for now). It's telling the same story, but not just from the viewpoint of the country farmboy like the first book tends to do. I'll leave it at that to try to keep this mostly spoiler-free, but you're not wrong. There are pieces or plot lines from later books being at least teased at or setup now.
Again, no need to answer for spoilers, but things that stood out from the show so far:

1.  "on your knees"

2.   Nynaeve really seems powered up quickly

3.  Moraine getting tossed from Tar Valon (I noticed in the wording she is out .... unless the Amyrlin Seat summons her?) 

4.  The severe tension in the ranks of the Aes Sedai

Agreed - it is a fun series! I liked 1 but like 2 & 3 better and while it's almost a different type of story, 4-6 were really enjoyable also. Plus, I'm a big Sanderson fan (actually introduced to him when I found out he was finishing the WoT though) so I do like 11 to the end.

edit to add: those are the better books in the series. I have new appreciation for the middle "slog" books on further re-reads. Not to the level of the others, but I don't skip them either.

Agreed, 2 and 3 are great. I did also like getting into Sanderson's books...the writing was more straight forward but still very good. 

3.  Moraine getting tossed from Tar Valon (I noticed in the wording she is out .... unless the Amyrlin Seat summons her?) 

iirc, this is swiped from New Spring. If you want more info on it I'll reply again. Didn't want to say too much if you were going to read that book too. 

iirc, this is swiped from New Spring. If you want more info on it I'll reply again. Didn't want to say too much if you were going to read that book too. 
I forgot about that book.   I think a pod I was listening to suggested reading that one before the series started.   It's more of a prequel, right?   Guessing from their conversation in the last chapter I got through - also a bit of Lan/Moraine backstory?

Yeah, it's a lot of Moraine/Suiane and Moraine/Lan

Moreaine mentions a scene and some charters from NS in the last episode.

I'm currently on my 3rd re-read in Crossroads of Twilight chapter 19.  I'm trying to totally detach the adaptation from the books but MAN it's hard. 

Read all the books originally as they were published and remember the long waits in between.  Remarkable that it's been over 30 years....wow

#respect

I read the Dune series a few times and thought I was a man amongst men. I bow to you sir  :bow:

They were interesting, but a few of the middle chapters of Book 2 were info dumps as we meet new people and factions.   

Mostly what I got out of it is that I really want want the Aiel and Seanchan to meet up in battle.  

KarmaPolice said:
I forgot about that book.   I think a pod I was listening to suggested reading that one before the series started.   It's more of a prequel, right?   Guessing from their conversation in the last chapter I got through - also a bit of Lan/Moraine backstory?

I think it's ok to wait till a bit into the series to read it, especially on a first time (or first time in a long time) read. If you read it before The Eye of the World, it kinda spoils some things that are better to kind of find out along the way, IMO. I think anytime after book 5 or so, whenever you start to get interested in the backstory, is a good time. Or in publication order, I think after book 8, just to avoid any possibility of character/plot spoilers being introduced differently than in original order. On re-reads though, I start with it cause it's quick and there are definitely skim-able parts.

I can’t intersect books & series in the other thread but my biggest issue with the Amazon series is the disjointed timeline they are following compared to the books. They are covering mostly the same major plot lines but their story line is jumbled. Couldn’t they have got to the same point in the story by following the path laid out in the books?

I can’t intersect books & series in the other thread but my biggest issue with the Amazon series is the disjointed timeline they are following compared to the books. They are covering mostly the same major plot lines but their story line is jumbled. Couldn’t they have got to the same point in the story by following the path laid out in the books?

I don't think so, not really - the first book as written would be fairly boring and tropey TV. Farmboy goes on quest to save the world. I think trying to pull in some of the machinations from later books earlier on, so we see a full world, not just the world as seen by a villager. That doesn't mean they needed to do / pull everything in, but they are really trying to setup the full breadth of the world early on, with a slightly more complex storyline. There are definitely things I would have done differently (I felt like they could have kept the dragon possibilities to the 3 boys, and either Egwene goes with because Moiraine senses she can channel (which, side note, doesn't seem to be a thing in the show maybe?) or has a few lines about wanting to see the world to give her motive for following them out. And there was a lot of world building around the Aes Sedai and the warder bond that I'm not sure really had to be accelerated into this season, but I don't hate it either. But that would mean they could have stopped in Caemlyn instead of going to Tar Valon, for instance (even if they don't introduce any royals so they don't need the actors this season).

Anyways, long winded way of saying, I think a lot of changes were to be expected. Different directions than I personally would have gone in some places, but not something I hate. Just different.

And my shortcoming is I’m judging the tv series being a quarter of the way through book2 in a 14 book series. Should probably just sit down and shut up.

I don't think so, not really - the first book as written would be fairly boring and tropey TV. Farmboy goes on quest to save the world. I think trying to pull in some of the machinations from later books earlier on, so we see a full world, not just the world as seen by a villager. That doesn't mean they needed to do / pull everything in, but they are really trying to setup the full breadth of the world early on, with a slightly more complex storyline. There are definitely things I would have done differently (I felt like they could have kept the dragon possibilities to the 3 boys, and either Egwene goes with because Moiraine senses she can channel (which, side note, doesn't seem to be a thing in the show maybe?) or has a few lines about wanting to see the world to give her motive for following them out. And there was a lot of world building around the Aes Sedai and the warder bond that I'm not sure really had to be accelerated into this season, but I don't hate it either. But that would mean they could have stopped in Caemlyn instead of going to Tar Valon, for instance (even if they don't introduce any royals so they don't need the actors this season).

Anyways, long winded way of saying, I think a lot of changes were to be expected. Different directions than I personally would have gone in some places, but not something I hate. Just different.
I really hate they went to Tar Valon. I feel like I've talked too much about it for two weeks now, so I'll stop. They could've just gone to Whitebridge instead of Camelyn if they were avoiding Elayne complications.

Oath rod usage. Ugh. It was redundant: she already cannot lie so therefore wouldn't be able to break her word. It also majorly affects 2 key parts of the story later on. It was basically a lesbian wedding ceremony if you didn't already realize they were lovers.

Channeling to open the way gate is an issue too. Loial was standing right there, and that's one of his things. It also complicates future usage of the ways.

I don't have a problem with very many changes, but all 3 of those things affect future storylines. Sure, I could probably craft ways to get around them or just ignore them like the writers did with the issue of certain people leaving Tar Valon/the Tower without a fuss, but I really don't understand it when people change up these sorts of things they'll have to address later.

New Spring was written after the 10th book, and I've been told I was a sadist for always reading it first, especially the first time I read the series. It's probably better for a first time reader to read it after the 10th. I wouldn't blame anyone for reading it after the 8th, 9th, or 10th because they might need to find a reason to keep going... or living after the 10th. Reading it too early is jarring since it's almost assumed you know a lot of the Aes Sedai mentioned throughout.

There's also the Ravens prologue which could be read before the first book. There isn't much to it.

Nothing of concern in the spoiler, but I was able to figure it out. Thanks.

There are some things I just don't think should be posted, even in spoilers. It would be like learning Bruce Willis was a ghost the whole time, which happened to me before I saw the Sixth Sense.

About halfway for me but I ordered 3-5 so I'm committed for a while.
Ok - let's do this!  

Finished up book 2 this am at work.  Definitely not quite what I expected.   I was going to finish my Dahmer book then go on to book 3 soon.  

Channeling to open the way gate is an issue too. Loial was standing right there, and that's one of his things.

Correct me if I am wrong - but in the first book, didn't Moiraine have to do something to open the gate?  Loial found the gate, but I thought Moiraine had to do something with a leaf to open the portal.  I was falling asleep listening, so I might have missed something.

Also - one thing that does not make sense to me from either the books or the show - Rand keeps talking about Perrin as some kind of ladies man - but, there is nothing in the books to suggest that - at least so far.  And, obviously the show is not showing that either.

Users who are viewing this thread