What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Trump Years- Every day something more shocking than the last! (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The trouble is, when reputable news networks report that he punched someone in the face, he'll claim it's "fake news" and most of his supporters will agree with him.  It's one thing to take swings at someone.  It's another to be man enough to face the consequences.
The guy called his own interview "fake news."
Exactly.  The guy isn't some courageous crusader who is unafraid of taking unpopular positions.  He's just a run of the mill bully who has always gotten his way.  When he doesn't, the only response he knows is to blatantly lie about what he did.  As someone who grew up across the street from the local school bully, I can't see how anyone finds such behavior admirable.  I learned by the age of 7 that the only way to respond to such people is to stand up to them, not to stroke their egos. 

Trump as an agent of chaos. I can understand that.

But my question is why do some people want the chaos (and the unintended consequences, some disastrous) that result?  

What is at the root for people to reject rationalism, pragmatism, diplomacy, and stability over a roll of the dice?

I have some theories, but I'd like to hear others.

But my question is why do some people want the chaos (and the unintended consequences, some disastrous) that result?  

What is at the root for people to reject rationalism, pragmatism, diplomacy, and stability over a roll of the dice?

It's demagoguery, and it's old stuff.

The word dates back to ancient Athens, where the original term in Greek literally meant leader (agogos) of the people (demos).

In 1838, American author James Fenimore Cooper observed that true demagogues met four criteria: they posture as men of the common people; they trigger waves of powerful emotion; they manipulate this emotion for political benefit; and they threaten or break established principles of governance.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I voted for Trump I was neither a big fan, nor a supporter. He is winning me over. A woman I heard today on TV put it great. He'll punch you in the face and wait for the reaction. He may not be right with everything but he takes the heat that he puts out. He's the bull in the china shop and enjoys the role. I'm lovin' it! The country and the world need this.

Maybe it's considered trolling but this is a statement that doesn't require a response. I probably won't reply to comments.
I appreciate your honesty.  I obviously don't share your opinion, but I've always had the sense that a lot of Trump supporters thought that way.  This is the reason why I don't think it's a sure thing that he'll lose in 2020.  When he has an opponent to run against, he's going to get a bunch of folks to fall in line.

For months many of us have said that one of Trump’s greatest attractions to his supporters is that he says things, and sometimes does things, that pisses off liberals. I’m not sure how this is any different from what Jamny is describing. 

But beyond that, there is an incredible double standard at work here. While Trump is repeatedly praised for “punching people in the face”, his opponents are repeatedly criticized for daring to punch back, and repeatedly warned that any attempt to do so will only result in more people turning to Trump. 

For months many of us have said that one of Trump’s greatest attractions to his supporters is that he says things, and sometimes does things, that pisses off liberals. I’m not sure how this is any different from what Jamny is describing. 

But beyond that, there is an incredible double standard at work here. While Trump is repeatedly praised for “punching people in the face”, his opponents are repeatedly criticized for daring to punch back, and repeatedly warned that any attempt to do so will only result in more people turning to Trump. 
Exactly.  They want to punch people in the face then act all butt hurt when the get punched back in the face. 

I don't think there are very many Trump supporters who truly want the chaos. (I think that particular point of view tends to be overrepresented on the internet.)

But I think they like the chaos, because it symbolizes "winning" to them. And it's been so long since conservatives have had a president who was a "winner", that they are willing to overlook the many obvious failings in the hopes that everything will magically work itself out.

I appreciate your honesty.  I obviously don't share your opinion, but I've always had the sense that a lot of Trump supporters thought that way.  This is the reason why I don't think it's a sure thing that he'll lose in 2020.  When he has an opponent to run against, he's going to get a bunch of folks to fall in line.
Dems didn't show up because they didn't think Trump had a shot.

They will show up in 2020.  He is toast.  The dem candidate won't even matter.

Vote?  Dems are itching to take to the streets and shut it all down.

It’s so funny that Trump supporters act like he’s some tough guy.  I’ve never seen a tough guy cry about everything being unfair as much as he does.  If he’s not crying about how unfair everything is, he’s lashing out at people by resorting to childish name-calling or claiming the truth is a lie.  He absolutely can’t handle any criticism.  

They want a tough guy, they have a 5 year old.  

At least admit you like him because he pisses off liberals. If Maxine Walters were president, I’d have no problem admitting I took a little pleasure in watching the far right’s head explode on a daily basis. Even while disagreeing with a lot of her policies

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump

Heading to Helsinki, Finland – looking forward to meeting with President Putin tomorrow. Unfortunately, no matter how well I do at the Summit, if I was given the great city of Moscow as retribution for all of the sins and evils committed by Russia... .over the years, I would return to criticism that it wasn’t good enough – that I should have gotten Saint Petersburg in addition! Much of our news media is indeed the enemy of the people and all the Dems...know how to do is resist and obstruct! This is why there is such hatred and dissension in our country – but at some point, it will heal!

9:18 AM - 15 Jul 2018
What in the actual  :censored: .

At least admit you like him because he pisses off liberals. If Maxine Walters were president, I’d have no problem admitting I took a little pleasure in watching the far right’s head explode on a daily basis. Even while disagreeing with a lot of her policies
I take no pleasure in that at all.  It used to drive me nuts that every innocuous thing Obama said/did was met with outrage on the right. I don’t like Maxine Waters and wouldn’t want to deal with her embarrassing #### just to get a ride out of people 

Fox news and drudge actually covering Trump saying Nato a "foe."

Was nice to send those screenshots to my trump supporting family.  Waiting for the fake news rebuttal.

"If I was given the great city of Moscow, I would be criticized for not getting Saint Petersburg in addition!"

This is how the mind of a narcissist works. They cannot handle criticism at all. So, in order to avoid a mental breakdown, they re-frame all forms of criticism into a twisted compliment. ("I'm so awesome that my only fault is that I was given an entire Russian city instead of being given TWO Russian cities!")

It's like Eric Cartman after he got beat up by a girl. When the boys said that their opinion of him couldn't get any lower, he twisted it into a compliment ("You guys still think I'm cool!")

I don't think there are very many Trump supporters who truly want the chaos. (I think that particular point of view tends to be overrepresented on the internet.)

But I think they like the chaos, because it symbolizes "winning" to them. And it's been so long since conservatives have had a president who was a "winner", that they are willing to overlook the many obvious failings in the hopes that everything will magically work itself out.
They haven't thought that far ahead. It's enough for them to lash out at things they don't understand and/or are inconvenient in relation to things they want to believe. They engage in magical thinking to a significant degree, in their world consequences don't exist or will be resolved miraculously. Neither outcome is true, though it may seem so to them as rational folks take care of problems for them. So too with the current trumpertantrum. They'll be marginalized and worked around. The only reason they have any sway now is because there's a ton of money to be made by manipulating them and taking advantage of their credulity.

Here is the entire quote:

"I think we have a lot of foes, I think the European Union is a foe, what they do to us in trade. Now you wouldn't think of the European Union, but they're a foe."

What a D-nozzle this guy is.
This is the kind of thing that enflames liberals and will get Trump defeated in 2020.

Here is the entire quote:

"I think we have a lot of foes, I think the European Union is a foe, what they do to us in trade. Now you wouldn't think of the European Union, but they're a foe."

What a D-nozzle this guy is.
How about the entire quote?

Well, I think we have a lot of foes. I think the European Union is a foe, what they do to us in trade. Now, you wouldn't think of the European Union, but they're a foe. Russia is foe in certain respects. China is a foe economically, certainly they are a foe. But that doesn't mean they are bad. It doesn't mean anything. It means that they are competitive," Mr. Trump said at his golf club in Turnberry, Scotland. 

"I respect the leaders of those countries. But, in a trade sense, they've really taken advantage of us and many of those countries are in NATO and they weren't paying their bills," he added.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread