What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Trump Years- Every day something more shocking than the last! (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That and leaking racist statements are not in any way the issue here.
No, it's not, but it does crack me up seeing the WH not deny it, Trump followers then rush the barricades to defend the comment, then Trump saying he never said and it oh by the way it's "derogatory", and see the real thing is Durbin has breached confidentiality of a closed meeting. It's so nuts.

Meanwhile President chaos may cause a government shutdown, the immigration debate is in reverse, and we have a foreign policy disaster in three different regions on our hands.

he could have said no comment, he won't deny or confirm ................ closed door meetings are just that.

none the less, I don't like what Trump said IF he said it like that, I don't like that its all the press is talking about, I don't like it distracts from the job they're all supposed to do on DACA and border control and immigration

its a side show, it was leaked to cause choas, to upset people to destroy any progress

its been very successful in doing that
No. It was not "leaked" - it was relayed as a message - and it was done so people can (once again) judge for themselves the (lack of) character of this man.

For those trying to soften the blow, defend it as something that should not have been leaked, honestly, you are becoming a culpable enabler of these racist views.  Decide if that is truly who and what you want to be at heart, and how you wish to represent yourself.

This is on Trump, not those who have exposed who and what he is at heart.  To focus on the latter is to merely be part of what the former represents.  

No, it's not, but it does crack me up seeing the WH not deny it, Trump followers then rush the barricades to defend the comment, then Trump saying he never said and it oh by the way it's "derogatory", and see the real thing is Durbin has breached confidentiality of a closed meeting. It's so nuts.

Meanwhile President chaos may cause a government shutdown, the immigration debate is in reverse, and we have a foreign policy disaster in three different regions on our hands.
Yeah I was surprised the WH didn't all out lie about this like they normally do. They actually backed the racist card with the belief it's gonna resonate with his base.

it bothers me a closed meeting a guy comes out of it ( Sen. **** Durbin of Illinois ) and blabs to the media

I bet things are said in every meeting - but if its against Trump it'll be used for political gain :(

what a circus on all fronts 
Not things like this. Not even close.

I appreciate you putting up the fight here, but if the best you can do is wrongly guess that this behavior is normal that should probably tell you something.

It bothers me that "some people" believe that coarse, crude, racially tinged remarks are par for the course at management meetings throughout the country let alone in the Oval Office.   "Some people" not being aghast at what the President said is infinitely more concerning to me than someone blabbing about the remarks to the public.
there was nothing racial about calling schithole countries schithole countries IF that's what he said .................. but tying that to immigrants, there is the problem IF he did

we are going off heresay, off a senator's confirmation that happens to be a Democrat .......... so take that into consideration too

none the less, as I said, it doesn't matter now if Trump said it or not, he's already been convicted and the sentencing will begin .............. and that's a big problem in today's world that we jump to conclusions and let media decide for us what to think

I'm guilty too

I don't doubt Trump was harsh, he probably did say sschithole countries in a closed door meeting that probably was supposed to not have any leaks about what was being said. That's a problem too  

I don't doubt Trump was harsh, he probably did say sschithole countries in a closed door meeting that probably was supposed to not have any leaks about what was being said. That's a problem too  
No, you are wrong, that is not the problem or even A problem.  The President saying racially charged remarks in a policy meeting is the One and ONLY problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
he could have said no comment, he won't deny or confirm ................ closed door meetings are just that.

none the less, I don't like what Trump said IF he said it like that, I don't like that its all the press is talking about, I don't like it distracts from the job they're all supposed to do on DACA and border control and immigration

its a side show, it was leaked to cause choas, to upset people to destroy any progress

Maybe that's just more proof that Trump is a terrible President and those in the WH can no longer support him.  It's not a good situation so why paint it to look like one.  Accept the failure.  Own it.

there was nothing racial about calling schithole countries schithole countries IF that's what he said .................. but tying that to immigrants, there is the problem IF he did
Hard to sell that when these are populated by people of color while in the same breath he praises white Norway.

Trump came out firing during the campaign against the media, against the intelligence community, against Democrats, against anyone who has shown to be anything but loyal to him.  Why does it surprise his supporters that the media is watching him like a hawk, scrutinizing his every move?  That some members of the IC do not think much of him, and discuss that in private conversations.  That Democrats call out his every mistake, and have stood in opposition of him at every turn so far.  Most importantly, that there has been a steady stream of people willing to leak, speak ill of, and turn their backs on him?  The man has lashed out at such a long list of people and establishments that it should surprise absolutely no one that he gets the same in return.

Stealthy, with your concern about the leak from a private meeting... consider why that might happen to him with great regularity.  Perhaps attacking everyone and everything that dared not bow to him wasn't the best strategy for the guy who wanted the most scrutinized and visible job in our country.  He's made this bed, time to lie in it.       

Donald Trump has a wonderful relationship with the Haitian people and Kim Jung Un. What a guy. Who else can say this? And I'm sure it's reciprocal, as they both likely have the same warm feelings towards him right now.

From yesterday's WSJ interview, here is his take on why he gets negative press...

Mr. Trump: I would like to see that. Yeah, I’d like to be able to—look, nobody gets more false press than I do. Nobody—nobody gets—nobody comes close. In history—in the history of this country nobody’s gotten more false press and you guys all know it.

WSJ: Why—why do you think that is?

Mr. Trump: They dislike me, the liberal media dislikes me. I mean I watch people—I was always the best at what I did, I was the—I was, you know, I went to the—I went to the Wharton School of Finance, did well. I went out, I—I started in Brooklyn, in a Brooklyn office with my father, I became one of the most successful real-estate developers, one of the most successful business people. I created maybe the greatest brand.

I then go into, in addition to that, part-time, like five percent a week, I open up a television show. As you know, the Apprentice on many evenings was the number one show on all of television, a tremendous success. It went on for 12 years, a tremendous success. They wanted to sign me for another three years and I said, no, I can’t do that.

That’s one of the reasons NBC hates me so much. NBC hates me so much they wanted—they were desperate to sign me for—for three more years.

WSJ: Mr. President, you made reference to the book. Steve Bannon …

Mr. Trump: Just—and so—so I was successful, successful, successful. I was always the best athlete, people don’t know that. But I was successful at everything I ever did and then I run for president, first time—first time, not three times, not six times. I ran for president first time and lo and behold, I win. And then people say oh, is he a smart person? I’m smarter than all of them put together, but they can’t admit it. They had a bad year.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
There's a special election in PA-18 in March (Trump won the district by 20 points so it probably won't be competitive but who knows what might be possible in the current environment).

Apologies to you and the many other good people of the region, but I suspect Trump's attitudes as expressed yesterday will help the Republican candidate there.
Yes.  Conor Lamb (D) v Rick Saccone (R), who is a bit of a religious nut (he introduced legislation to declare 2012 the "Year of the Bible").  I think I saw yesterday that both Pence and Trump will make separate visits to campaign for Saccone.  :X

Lamb is actually a pretty good D candidate.  Good pedigree and headed in the right direction (recently came out to say that he wouldn't support Pelosi to lead the House). Definitely the new blood that the Ds have been looking for.    

Durbin's "Side Show" >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Trump's #### Show

Yes.  Conor Lamb (D) v Rick Saccone (R), who is a bit of a religious nut (he introduced legislation to declare 2012 the "Year of the Bible").  I think I saw yesterday that both Pence and Trump will make separate visits to campaign for Saccone.  :X

Lamb is actually a pretty good D candidate.  Good pedigree and headed in the right direction (recently came out to say that he wouldn't support Pelosi to lead the House). Definitely the new blood that the Ds have been looking for.    
Guessing it was more Old Testament. 

we are going off heresay, off a senator's confirmation that happens to be a Democrat .......... so take that into consideration too

none the less, as I said, it doesn't matter now if Trump said it or not, he's already been convicted and the sentencing will begin .............. and that's a big problem in today's world that we jump to conclusions and let media decide for us what to think

I'm guilty too

You have a strange tendency to apply legal principles to non-legal situations. Things like "hearsay" and "innocent until proven guilty" are safeguards that err on the side of caution for specific reasons.  They are not there to prevent people from using common sense outside of a courtroom. And anyone with a lick of common sense can look at reporting from the nation's most respected reporting desk, that fits a clear pattern of behavior and was not disputed by the White House after the story broke nor any other participant in the meeting, and realize he said exactly what was reported.

- NYT.

I'm just curious what actually happened. - Were they talking about the TPS program, or something different? It sounds like the TPS countries. 

- I guess what gets me (besides you now...) is that Trump didn't even seem to know wth they were talking about?
Why does that get you?  Are you (still) under the mistaken impression that Trump is either knowledgeable or even interested in policy?

There were Republicans and Democrats there, staff, etc. Democratic/liberal/anti-Trump reaction here is predictable. I think Dems in the room would immediately tell the reporters outside the room what happened, and yaknow-what I think the Cotton/Perdue/Goodlatte types would too. This inures to the benefit of those who want to blow the whole immigration deal up. There's no doubt in my mind that conservatives and liberals alike want to resolve the immigration issue. It's a problem. It's a national security issue IMO. It's important and has serious consequences, and heck I think Trump is one of those consequences.

But from the Trumpite side the rationality of it is meaningless. They LOVE it. Did their people come from ####hole countries? They don't care. Does the US have outstanding interests in helping these people? They don't care. What about history and our very reason for existence being compassion, liberty, decency, growth? They don't care.

- Does it even matter to them that Trump says he never said it or that he says the term is "derogatory"? No. What they care about is hearing the racist thing said out loud and they love the liberal tears. That's it. So the right people attack Trump, it's a win. Everything else goes down the ####hole.

Thank you, Donald Trump:

In memo to staff, @NPR standards editor says it is now necessary to say “####hole” on the radio so that listeners know the day’s news, but preceded by a warning to listeners, and “no more than one use of the word each hour in the main shows is enough.”

https://twitter.com/NPRinskeep/status/951823908759638019
I get it, but is this really necessary?

I don't get the impression there's a bunch of 1st graders sitting around together listening to NPR on their transistor radios.

Why does that get you?  Are you (still) under the mistaken impression that Trump is either knowledgeable or even interested in policy?
That was my point, Trump didn't even understand the discussion going on around him. It only gets me that its hasn't been raised in the context of this story. He had no clue what they were talking about.

The plan outlined by Mr. Graham and Mr. Durbin, according to people familiar with it, would also include more than $2.5 billion for border security and a grant of protected status for the parents of the immigrants, known as Dreamers, who would be barred from sponsoring their parents for citizenship.
Note: Trump had his border security, $2.5 billion worth. Had it. - eta - But Trump hears that they will be (as always) protecting people from countries that need protection, and he has asks why them, why not Norway? Because Norwegians don't need protection.

Last edited by a moderator:
it bothers me a closed meeting a guy comes out of it ( Sen. **** Durbin of Illinois ) and blabs to the media

I bet things are said in every meeting - but if its against Trump it'll be used for political gain :(

what a circus on all fronts 
Wait a minute, first you claim it might not have happened because it’s only ‘sources’. But then when someone who was there comes out, puts his name on the statement and confirms what was said, you also don’t like that? Make up your mind.

And you think he’s doing it for political gain? He’s doing it because the president is a racist and says racist things. Funny that you’ve quickly gone from condemning what he said to going after the sources and wondering if he actually said it.

Does Trump really think there are people in Norway that WANT to immigrate to this ####hole country of his?
He only picked Norway because their PM was nice to him a couple of days before :lol:  

Similarly at the beginning of his presidency someone said he was like Andrew Jackson. To Trump, Andrew Jackson suddenly became the best most interesting president.

The guy is nuts.

You know, to just be grossly generalistic, you could put half of Trump's supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables. Right? The racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic -- you name it. And unfortunately there are people like that. And he has lifted them up. He has given voice to their websites that used to only have 11,000 people -- now 11 million. He tweets and retweets their offensive hateful mean-spirited rhetoric. Now, some of those folks -- they are irredeemable, but thankfully they are not America."
Bet she feels silly about this part. 

Not going to read through pages and pages of tears but I'm assuming everyone is mad about calling #### hole countries #### holes?

If Durbin is lying, there were others at the meeting who can dispute his account of what Trump said:

Christina Ginn‏ @NBChristinaGinn 3h3 hours ago

People who attended the immigration meeting where Trump made his "####hole" comment:

-President Donald Trump

-Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC)

-Sen. **** Durbin (D-IL)

-Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-CA)

-Sen. David Perdue (R-GA)

-Sen. Tom Cotton (R-AR)

-Rep. Robert Goodlatte (R-VA)

The most bizarre aspect of this spectacle was that the Democrats who most aggressively defended Trump’s version of the surveillance bill – the Democrats most eager to preserve Trump’s spying powers as virtually limitless – were the very same Democratic House members who have become media stars this year by flamboyantly denouncing Trump as a treasonous, lawless despot in front of every television camera they could find.
https://theintercept.com/2018/01/12/the-same-democrats-who-denounce-trump-as-a-lawless-treasonous-authoritarian-just-voted-to-give-him-vast-warrantless-spying-powers/

p-p-p-party over c-c-c-country right guys

Yeah, I continue to think the only problem with the basket of deplorable comment is that is was too true.  Maybe she overestimated the numbers, but there's no doubt that there was a surprisingly large and vocal segment of his support expressing views that used to be considered unfit to be aired in polite society.  Hillary shouldn't have said it because she was trying to get elected.  But as I'm not trying to get elected, I have no reason to be afraid of agreeing with it.  

Yeah, I continue to think the only problem with the basket of deplorable comment is that is was too true.  Maybe she overestimated the numbers, but there's no doubt that there was a surprisingly large and vocal segment of his support expressing views that used to be considered unfit to be aired in polite society.  Hillary shouldn't have said it because she was trying to get elected.  But as I'm not trying to get elected, I have no reason to be afraid of agreeing with it.  
I've said before it was a political disaster for her to have said it.

But that doesn't mean she was wrong. 

You were doing better last night, GB.  He said it, its a disgusting thing to have said anywhere, worse yet in the setting and purpose of that meeting.   Please don't stoop to the level of blaming the messenger who relayed what the President said, what his own people defended last night.
This is what happens a lot of times with Trump supporters. They are human, so their initial reaction to things are not unlike yours and mine. The ones who care to discuss it, often share the same disgust as we do. But watching Fox News and looking at brietbart.com all day tends to get them all back on the same page and doing the same old deflections and excuses. They march in lockstep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread