What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Top 155 Songs by American Artists According to 5 Middle-Aged Idiots (1 Viewer)

Interlude

I mentioned that we did this for albums (with no restrictions) back in January. I'll pepper each of the groups album selections throughout this thread. I'll start with Chap, just to show he's not as wacky as his song selections suggest:

Chap
31. Facelift - Alice in Chains
30. Achtung Baby - U2
29. Paranoid - Black Sabbath
28. Exodus - Bob Marley and the Wailers
27. Check Your Head - Beastie Boys
26. Blind Faith - Blind Faith
25. L.A. Woman - The Doors
24. Nashville Skyline - Bob Dylan
23. Aja - Steely Dan
22. Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd
21. Space Wrangler - Widespread Panic
20. Go To Heaven - Grateful Dead
19. Let It Be - The Beatles
18. Jesus Christ Superstar - Original Broadway Cast
17. Abbey Road - The Beatles
16. Widespread Panic - Widespread Panic
15. Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band - The Beatles
14. The Wall - Pink Floyd
13. Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd
12. Shoot Out At The Fantasy Factory - Traffic
11. The White Album - The Beatles
10. The Soft Parade - The Doors
9. Terrapin Station - The Grateful Dead
8. Hotel California - The Eagles
7. Joe's Garage - Frank Zappa and the Mothers
6. Headseed - moe.
5. Bag - God Street Wine
4. Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs - Derek and the Dominoes
3. III - Led Zeppelin
2. Mean Old World - Eric Clapton and Duane Allman
1. Animals - Pink Floyd

Dr. Octopus:

Be My Baby – The Ronettes

Spector produced "Be My Baby" at Gold Star Studios with his de facto house band, later known as "the Wrecking Crew". It marked the first time that he recorded with a full orchestra, and the song is regarded as the quintessential example of his Wall of Sound recording technique. Ronnie Spector (then known as Veronica Bennett) is the only Ronette that appears on the track. In 1964, it appeared on the album Presenting the Fabulous Ronettes.

Jeb:

Incinerate – Sonic Youth

Rather Ripped is considered to be one of Sonic Youth's most accessible albums, featuring an abundance of concise songs dealing with melancholic topics such as adultery, sexual frustration, and infidelity. Upon its release, the album peaked at number 71 on the US Billboard 200 and number 64 on the UK Albums Chart.

Scooter:

Come Sail Away - Styx

Lyrically, the song uses sailing as a metaphor to achieve one's dreams. The lyrics touch on nostalgia of "childhood friends," escapism, and a religious thematic symbolized by "a gathering of angels" singing "a song of hope." The ending lyrics explain a transformation from a sailing ship into a starship, by narrating that "they climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies".

Doug:

Mrs. Robinson – Simon & Garfunkel

"Mrs. Robinson" became the duo's second chart-topper, hitting No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100, as well as peaking within the top 10 of the United Kingdom, Ireland, and Spain, among other countries. In 1969, it became the first rock song to win the Grammy Award for Record of the Year. The song contains a famous reference to baseball star Joe DiMaggio. The song has been covered by a number of artists, including Frank Sinatra, the Lemonheads, and Bon Jovi. In 2004, it finished at No. 6 on AFI's 100 Years...100 Songs survey of top tunes in American cinema.

Chap:

Everlasting Love – Carl Carlton

Carl Carlton recorded "Everlasting Love" in October 1973 at the Berry Hill (Tenn) studio Creative Workshop, which was owned by Buzz Cason; however, Cason was not involved in the recording of Carlton's version - the singer had himself chosen to record "Everlasting Love", which he knew via the version on David Ruffin's 1969 album My Whole World Ended.
1. "Be My Baby". Doc's right about Ronnie's vocal, but the real star here is Hal Blaine. I'd take his drumming over two dozen Neil(sp?) Pearts. This whole record is a walking, talking, singing hormone.

2. "Everlasting Love". I love both hit versions of this, but this one's a little brighter.

3. "Mrs Robinson". Can someone answer this for me? When Joe DiMaggio died, why did Paul Simon stand on the infield in Yankee Stadium and sing that one line? Was there more? The song wasn't even about Joe anyway. Of course, Simon's songs aren't really about anything other than his masturbatory fantasies and the need to sound important - but why this then in such an awkward manner? Anyway, catchy tune.

4. "Come Sail Away". Good song for what it is. As the years have gone on, I've realized that I needed records like this to keep the flame alive more than I really liked them.

5. Apologies, Jeb. Not my thing.

5. Apologies, Jeb. Not my thing.

Hey Uruk, I was re-reading the draft we did together in 2017 this morning because it popped up in a "Similar thread" feed. The Desert Island Alphabet draft. It was sort of a gas going back and seeing our list. It was fairly obvious who had picked what from our pairing. I had fun doing that draft, man. It'd be different today, I think. My musical taste has changed and grown a lot from back then, even. Five years is quite a long time, though I can remember the room I was doing the draft in and how I felt at the time. Anyway, just thought you'd get a kick out of that.

Interlude

I mentioned that we did this for albums (with no restrictions) back in January. I'll pepper each of the groups album selections throughout this thread. I'll start with Chap, just to show he's not as wacky as his song selections suggest:

Chap
30. Achtung Baby - U2
23. Aja - Steely Dan
6. Headseed - moe.
5. Bag - God Street Wine
3. III - Led Zeppelin
1. Animals - Pink Floyd
Not totally wacky, but not exactly conventional either. Of all the Doors albums, Soft Parade? Of all the Traffic albums, Shoot Out? Of all the Dylan albums, Nashville Skyline? The Dead and plenty of second-tier jam bands but no Allman Brothers?

Aside from Zappa, Marley, Sabbath and AIC, I can see how someone with these preferences would also gravitate to ‘70s pop and yacht rock.

Interlude

Chap
30. Achtung Baby - U2
23. Aja - Steely Dan
6. Headseed - moe.
5. Bag - God Street Wine
3. III - Led Zeppelin
1. Animals - Pink Floyd
Not totally wacky, but not exactly conventional either. Of all the Doors albums, Soft Parade? Of all the Traffic albums, Shoot Out? Of all the Dylan albums, Nashville Skyline? The Dead and plenty of second-tier jam bands but no Allman Brothers?

Aside from Zappa, Marley, Sabbath and AIC, I can see how someone with these preferences would also gravitate to ‘70s pop and yacht rock.
You’re not gonna like some of the other lists 😀.

Interlude

Chap
30. Achtung Baby - U2
23. Aja - Steely Dan
6. Headseed - moe.
5. Bag - God Street Wine
3. III - Led Zeppelin
1. Animals - Pink Floyd

There were two Duane Allman albums and L.A. Woman is also on his list.

Last edited:
Interlude

Chap
30. Achtung Baby - U2
23. Aja - Steely Dan
6. Headseed - moe.
5. Bag - God Street Wine
3. III - Led Zeppelin
1. Animals - Pink Floyd

reaction.

Unsubscribe
But there’s no Rush so at least you got that.
They will have one album make an appearance though.
It would be hilarious if it was their first, Neil Peart-less, album, which had zero songs in Ghost Rider's top 50 countdown on this board.
I won’t keep you guessing. I’ll list Jeb’s albums tomorrow. It’s one of their more popular, if not most popular, albums though.

Unsubscribe
It would be hilarious if it was their first, Neil Peart-less, album, which had zero songs in Ghost Rider's top 50 countdown on this board.
I won’t keep you guessing. I’ll list Jeb’s albums tomorrow. It’s one of their more popular, if not most popular, albums though.
Cool. I will be delighted to discuss Rush some more because Eephus loves it so.

Driving at night with "L.A. Woman" pumping through the stereo system in SoCal is not a terrible experience, actually. But I don't mind The Doors at all, really, even in all their bombastic glory

The Doors had their first popular revival while I was in college and An American Prayer was released. College friends who wore bandannas and the Doors incessantly kind of put me off of the band. I appreciated them more as I got less tribal later but I've never been a big fan.

But I have admit L.A. Woman and Riders on the Storm are a fine pair of side closers.

Unsubscribe
Cool. I will be delighted to discuss Rush some more because Eephus loves it so.
I wonder if his dog would like the vocals. Might make his little ears stand straight up.

Hey Uruk, I was re-reading the draft we did together in 2017 this morning because it popped up in a "Similar thread" feed. The Desert Island Alphabet draft. It was sort of a gas going back and seeing our list. It was fairly obvious who had picked what from our pairing. I had fun doing that draft, man. It'd be different today, I think. My musical taste has changed and grown a lot from back then, even. Five years is quite a long time, though I can remember the room I was doing the draft in and how I felt at the time. Anyway, just thought you'd get a kick out of that.
Good Lord, that was 5 years ago?!?

Agreed. I had a blast with that draft.

Dr. Octopus:

Behind the Wall of Sleep – The Smithereens

Lead singer Pat DiNizio wrote the lyrics to the song on the back of a cocktail napkin on a flight home from Boston to New York City. The Smithereens had shared a bill with the Boston band The Bristols, whose bassist Kim Ernst had caught DiNizio's attention. DiNizio: "My crush on her led me to write that on a very hung-over morning after a party in Boston." The lyrics include references to 1960s model Jean Shrimpton ("She had hair like Jeannie Shrimpton back in 1965") and Rolling Stone bassist Bill Wyman ("She held a bass guitar and she was playing in a band/And she stood just like Bill Wyman/Now I am her biggest fan"). At the time, DiNizio didn't give a lot of thought to the pop imagery in the lyrics, but it "seemed to create a certain interest later on", he said in 1995. The melody came to DiNizio at the same time: "I’m singing the thing to myself for the whole flight, like a mantra, so I don't forget it. Then I get stuck in traffic for two hours and I’m nearly losing my mind, because I knew I had a good song."

Jeb:

Bulls On Parade – Rage Against the Machine

"Bulls on Parade" deals with the U.S. military and its aggressive tactics. It mentions how the arms industry encourages war to obtain military contracts with lines such as, "Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes, not need, just feed the war cannibal-animal," and "What we don't know keeps the contracts alive and moving."

Scooter:

Eternal Flame – The Bangles

"Eternal Flame" is a song by American pop rock group the Bangles for their third studio album, Everything (1988). The power ballad was written by group member Susanna Hoffs with the established hit songwriting team of Billy Steinberg and Tom Kelly. Upon its 1989 single release, "Eternal Flame" became a number-one hit in nine countries, including Australia, Sweden, the United Kingdom, and the United States.

Doug:

Sweet Caroline – Neil Diamond

Sweet Caroline" is a song written and performed by American singer Neil Diamond and released in May 1969 as a single with the title "Sweet Caroline (Good Times Never Seemed So Good)". It was arranged by Charles Calello, and recorded at American Sound Studio in Memphis, Tennessee.

Chap:

Hello It’s Me – Todd Rundgren

"Hello It's Me" was the first song written by Todd Rundgren. Written in 1967 as a slow ballad about the breakup of a relationship, it was released in October 1968 as the B-side of his band Nazz's debut single "Open My Eyes", and included on the debut album Nazz (1968).
Rundgren recorded a more midtempo version of "Hello It's Me" for his 1972 solo album Something/Anything? It was released twice as a single, with the second issue in 1973 becoming Rundgren's only top ten pop hit, reaching No. 5 on the Hot 100. It also reached No. 17 on the Adult Contemporary chart.

"She held a bass guitar and she was playing in a band/And she stood just like Bill Wyman/Now I am her biggest fan" is what first got me hooked but it's also a perfect power pop song in every way.

When I lived in Watchung, Pat lived in the next Town over, Scotch Plains. He would play a lot for free at parks and town centers with his band "The Scotchplainsmen". I saw him a few months before he passed for the last time and something seemed very off. He had to read the lyrics off a sheet (mostly covers but even on his songs) and he barely moved. It was very sad but not shocking when he passed.

Doug:

Sweet Caroline" is a song written and performed by American singer Neil Diamond and released in May 1969 as a single with the title "Sweet Caroline (Good Times Never Seemed So Good)". It was arranged by Charles Calello, and recorded at American Sound Studio in Memphis, Tennessee.
So bad, so bad, so bad...

Actually I used to like it well enough before the Red Sox and every other college/pro team started blaring it at their stadiums.

Dr. Octopus:

Lead singer Pat DiNizio wrote the lyrics to the song on the back of a cocktail napkin on a flight home from Boston to New York City. The Smithereens had shared a bill with the Boston band The Bristols, whose bassist Kim Ernst had caught DiNizio's attention. DiNizio: "My crush on her led me to write that on a very hung-over morning after a party in Boston." The lyrics include references to 1960s model Jean Shrimpton ("She had hair like Jeannie Shrimpton back in 1965") and Rolling Stone bassist Bill Wyman ("She held a bass guitar and she was playing in a band/And she stood just like Bill Wyman/Now I am her biggest fan"). At the time, DiNizio didn't give a lot of thought to the pop imagery in the lyrics, but it "seemed to create a certain interest later on", he said in 1995. The melody came to DiNizio at the same time: "I’m singing the thing to myself for the whole flight, like a mantra, so I don't forget it. Then I get stuck in traffic for two hours and I’m nearly losing my mind, because I knew I had a good song."
These guys have been discussed in many of our music threads - very underrated band. This isn't my favorite of theirs - that would be "Blood and Roses" - but this a really good tune.

Doug:

Actually I used to like it well enough before the Red Sox and every other college/pro team started blaring it at their stadiums.
It's definitely over played (and far from a great song imo) but anyone that thinks it's "bad" has no joy in their lives.

Doug:

Yeah, and I like about a dozen of his songs pretty well so it's nothing against him.

Jeb's Top 31 albums
31. The B-52s - The B-52s
30. Moving Pictures - Rush
29. Researching the Blues - Redd Kross
28. Odelay - Beck
27. I and Love and You - The Avett Brothers
26. Badmotorfinger - Soundgarden
25. Live at the Fillmore East - Allman Brothers Band
24. Ten - Pearl Jam
23. Workingman's Dead - Grateful Dead
22. Consolers of the Lonely - The Raconteurs
21. Pet Sounds - The Beach Boys
20. Billy Breathes - Phish
19. IV - Led Zeppelin
18. Raw Power - The Stooges
17. Raising Hell - Run-D.M.C.
16. Morrison Hotel - The Doors
15. Some Girls - The Rolling Stones
14. Nevermind - Nirvana
13. Aqualung - Jethro Tull
12. Master of Reality - Black Sabbath
11. Tres Hombres - ZZ Top
10. Sky Blue Sky - Wilco
9. Ace of Spades - Motorhead
8. Paul's Boutique - Beatie Boys
7. Magical Mystery Tour - The Beatles
6. Rocket to Russia - Ramones
5. Sea Change - Beck
4. Aja - Steely Dan
3. London Calling - The Clash
2. American Beauty - Grateful Dead
1. The White Album - The Beatles

Chap:

"Hello It's Me" was the first song written by Todd Rundgren. Written in 1967 as a slow ballad about the breakup of a relationship, it was released in October 1968 as the B-side of his band Nazz's debut single "Open My Eyes", and included on the debut album Nazz (1968).
Rundgren recorded a more midtempo version of "Hello It's Me" for his 1972 solo album Something/Anything? It was released twice as a single, with the second issue in 1973 becoming Rundgren's only top ten pop hit, reaching No. 5 on the Hot 100. It also reached No. 17 on the Adult Contemporary chart.

Gonna catch flak for this but I do not like this song at all. Never got the Todd love and this song is a quick channel changer, hurts my ears. Bulls on Parade and Behind the Wall of Sleep the big winners in this round for me.

Round 21: I'm a Sonic Youth fanboy, but Be My Baby is an all-timer (and not just among American artists).

Round 20: Tough call. Love the Smithereens but not necessarily that particular song. Like the Bangles a lot too, but Eternal Flame isn't a great representation of what they do really well. So I'll go with RaTM as my pick.

Dr. Octopus:

Jeb:

Bulls On Parade – Rage Against the Machine

"Bulls on Parade" deals with the U.S. military and its aggressive tactics. It mentions how the arms industry encourages war to obtain military contracts with lines such as, "Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes, not need, just feed the war cannibal-animal," and "What we don't know keeps the contracts alive and moving."

Scooter:

"Eternal Flame" is a song by American pop rock group the Bangles for their third studio album, Everything (1988). The power ballad was written by group member Susanna Hoffs with the established hit songwriting team of Billy Steinberg and Tom Kelly. Upon its 1989 single release, "Eternal Flame" became a number-one hit in nine countries, including Australia, Sweden, the United Kingdom, and the United States.

Doug:

Chap:

1. "Between The Walls Of Sleep". Bands like the Smithereens & the Jayhawks just hit a sweet spot (maybe a euphemism) for me. Never heard a song of either that I didn't like a bunch.

2. "Eternal Flame". It's not that Hoffs is gorgeous and I'd listen/watch her sing the phone book (though that is true). We talked about Ronnie Spector after the last round, and Susannah's voice reminds me of hers. She doesn't always stay on key ("Ronnie" and "key" were never particularly best of friends, either), but Hoffs has great timing and knows when to break. The song itself is pretty generic, but I love it.

3. "Hello, It's Me". Not my fave Runt, but it's sweet, honest, and raggedy in a good way.

4. "Bulls On Parade". Not a big fan, but I feel like I've dumped Jeb at #5 too much. If Red Sox fans didn't become such insufferable idiots, poor Jeb would have been in the basement again.

5. "Sweet Caroline". Taken on its own terms, this is a really good record & I may have chosen it #1. But, I can be a petty and vindictive individual. I ACTUALLY ROOTED FOR YOU GUTS IN 2004! You ruined it. Go wallow in your last place misery.

Scooter:

Doug:

The songwriting duo of Steinberg and Kelly were hot hot hitmakers in the 80s including "Like a Virgin", "So Emotional", "I Touch Myself" and "True Colors". Kelly retired in the 90s but Billy Steinberg has gone on writing hits

Chap wins! Chap wins!

The solo Todd version of Hello It’s Me is one of my favorite songs by anyone. It’s extraordinarily well constructed and executed and is dripping with emotion.

I like Behind the Wall of Sleep, though my #1 Smithereens is probably A Girl Like You.

I don’t really care if I ever hear the other three again.

"She held a bass guitar and she was playing in a band/And she stood just like Bill Wyman/Now I am her biggest fan" is what first got me hooked but it's also a perfect power pop song in every way.

When I lived in Watchung, Pat lived in the next Town over, Scotch Plains. He would play a lot for free at parks and town centers with his band "The Scotchplainsmen". I saw him a few months before he passed for the last time and something seemed very off. He had to read the lyrics off a sheet (mostly covers but even on his songs) and he barely moved. It was very sad but not shocking when he passed.
I lived in Somerville for a bit. We should have hung out.

Jeb's Top 31 albums
31. The B-52s - The B-52s
30. Moving Pictures - Rush
29. Researching the Blues - Redd Kross
28. Odelay - Beck
27. I and Love and You - The Avett Brothers
26. Badmotorfinger - Soundgarden
25. Live at the Fillmore East - Allman Brothers Band
24. Ten - Pearl Jam
23. Workingman's Dead - Grateful Dead
22. Consolers of the Lonely - The Raconteurs
21. Pet Sounds - The Beach Boys
20. Billy Breathes - Phish
19. IV - Led Zeppelin
18. Raw Power - The Stooges
17. Raising Hell - Run-D.M.C.
16. Morrison Hotel - The Doors
15. Some Girls - The Rolling Stones
14. Nevermind - Nirvana
13. Aqualung - Jethro Tull
12. Master of Reality - Black Sabbath
11. Tres Hombres - ZZ Top
10. Sky Blue Sky - Wilco
9. Ace of Spades - Motorhead
8. Paul's Boutique - Beatie Boys
7. Magical Mystery Tour - The Beatles
6. Rocket to Russia - Ramones
5. Sea Change - Beck
4. Aja - Steely Dan
3. London Calling - The Clash
2. American Beauty - Grateful Dead
1. The White Album - The Beatles
He’s got pretty similar tastes to me. Quite a few of these are candidates for my top 31.

Moving Pictures is a masterpiece and IMO Rush’s best album. It was a cornerstone of my middle school and high school years. It’s a perfect fusion of prog and hard rock, and the songwriting is extremely strong.

Dr. Octopus:

Be My Baby – The Ronettes

Spector produced "Be My Baby" at Gold Star Studios with his de facto house band, later known as "the Wrecking Crew". It marked the first time that he recorded with a full orchestra, and the song is regarded as the quintessential example of his Wall of Sound recording technique. Ronnie Spector (then known as Veronica Bennett) is the only Ronette that appears on the track. In 1964, it appeared on the album Presenting the Fabulous Ronettes.

Jeb:

Incinerate – Sonic Youth

Rather Ripped is considered to be one of Sonic Youth's most accessible albums, featuring an abundance of concise songs dealing with melancholic topics such as adultery, sexual frustration, and infidelity. Upon its release, the album peaked at number 71 on the US Billboard 200 and number 64 on the UK Albums Chart.

Scooter:

Come Sail Away - Styx

Lyrically, the song uses sailing as a metaphor to achieve one's dreams. The lyrics touch on nostalgia of "childhood friends," escapism, and a religious thematic symbolized by "a gathering of angels" singing "a song of hope." The ending lyrics explain a transformation from a sailing ship into a starship, by narrating that "they climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies".

Doug:

Mrs. Robinson – Simon & Garfunkel

"Mrs. Robinson" became the duo's second chart-topper, hitting No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100, as well as peaking within the top 10 of the United Kingdom, Ireland, and Spain, among other countries. In 1969, it became the first rock song to win the Grammy Award for Record of the Year. The song contains a famous reference to baseball star Joe DiMaggio. The song has been covered by a number of artists, including Frank Sinatra, the Lemonheads, and Bon Jovi. In 2004, it finished at No. 6 on AFI's 100 Years...100 Songs survey of top tunes in American cinema.

Chap:

Everlasting Love – Carl Carlton

Carl Carlton recorded "Everlasting Love" in October 1973 at the Berry Hill (Tenn) studio Creative Workshop, which was owned by Buzz Cason; however, Cason was not involved in the recording of Carlton's version - the singer had himself chosen to record "Everlasting Love", which he knew via the version on David Ruffin's 1969 album My Whole World Ended.

Jeb by a mile in this round.

I'd tell Chap to get the #### out of here with this, but this song holds minor nostalgia for me as Art Bell bumper music.

Scooter has this round with Doug a distant second. The rest are a whole lot of middle-of-the-road for me. The song selections are really interesting to me for a group of dudes that are around my age, not a lot of overlap with what I listened to back then.

Why do they have to be songs from "back then"?

I don't want to impinge upon Dr. O's thread too much, but I wonder if this might be a fun exercise or two for our music folks here. We do a lot of drafts, and some individual "favorite" threads :whistle: , but something where we each put together a separate list and submitted them for discussion would be fun. Have we tried anything like this? We could do the format of the O group - albums, then American song, or whatever we wanted. Just food for thought and again don't want to sidetrack this awesome thread right now.

Like, we could take November to put together lists for a December 1-31 favorites of whatever category countdown.

ETA: I guess if we used their already-completed formats it wouldn't be so fun for Dr. O, so maybe we could come up with another.

Scratching my head at the hate for "Everlasting Love." To me, that one is full and lush in a way that most Chap selections haven't been.
Unlike Eternal Flame, it's one of those songs I enjoy if it comes on once every many months, but I don't need to listen to it any more than that. Eternal Flame is a Friday night sipping cocktails on the back deck staple.

Good Rage addition, but operative word is good. Aside from Morello's scratching there's no depth with this track. If I'm adding something from them to a top songs of all time list gotta pick something off of self titled.

Scooter has this round with Doug a distant second. The rest are a whole lot of middle-of-the-road for me. The song selections are really interesting to me for a group of dudes that are around my age, not a lot of overlap with what I listened to back then.

Why do they have to be songs from "back then"?
It was just commentary based on the songs that have been listed so far, many of them are in fact from "back then".

Dr. Octopus:

American Girl – Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

Despite limited chart success, "American Girl" became one of Petty's most popular songs and a staple of classic rock. It has been consistently rated as his best song, only surpassed by "Free Fallin'" otherwise, and one of the best rock songs of all time, and has been called "more than a classic rock standard — it's practically part of the American literary canon."

Jeb:

Volunteers – Jefferson Airplane

"Volunteers" is a Jefferson Airplane single from 1969 that was released to promote the album Volunteers two months before the album's release. It was written by Marty Balin and Paul Kantner. Balin was woken up by a truck one morning, which happened to be a truck with Volunteers of America painted on the side.[1] Marty started writing lyrics down and then asked Paul to help him with the music.

Scooter:

A Long December – Counting Crows

"A Long December" is a song by American alternative rock band Counting Crows. The ballad is the second single and 13th track from their second album, Recovering the Satellites (1996). Lead singer Adam Duritz was inspired to write the track after his friend was hit by a car, making the song about reflecting on tragedy with a positive disposition.

Doug:

Fly Me To The Moon – Frank Sinatra

"Fly Me to the Moon", originally titled "In Other Words", is a song written in 1954 by Bart Howard. The first recording of the song was made in 1954 by Kaye Ballard. Frank Sinatra's 1964 version was closely associated with the Apollo missions to the Moon.

In 1999, the Songwriters Hall of Fame honored "Fly Me to the Moon" by inducting it as a "Towering Song"

Chap:

December, 1963 (Oh What a Night!) - Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons

"December, 1963 (Oh, What a Night)" is a song originally performed by the Four Seasons, written by original Four Seasons keyboard player Bob Gaudio and his future wife Judy Parker, produced by Gaudio, and included on the group's album, Who Loves You (1975).

The song features drummer Gerry Polci on lead vocals, with Frankie Valli, the group's usual lead vocalist, singing the bridge sections and backing vocals and bass player Don Ciccone singing the falsetto part.

Dr. Octopus:

American Girl – Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

Despite limited chart success, "American Girl" became one of Petty's most popular songs and a staple of classic rock. It has been consistently rated as his best song, only surpassed by "Free Fallin'" otherwise, and one of the best rock songs of all time, and has been called "more than a classic rock standard — it's practically part of the American literary canon."

Jeb:

Volunteers – Jefferson Airplane

"Volunteers" is a Jefferson Airplane single from 1969 that was released to promote the album Volunteers two months before the album's release. It was written by Marty Balin and Paul Kantner. Balin was woken up by a truck one morning, which happened to be a truck with Volunteers of America painted on the side.[1] Marty started writing lyrics down and then asked Paul to help him with the music.

Scooter:

A Long December – Counting Crows

"A Long December" is a song by American alternative rock band Counting Crows. The ballad is the second single and 13th track from their second album, Recovering the Satellites (1996). Lead singer Adam Duritz was inspired to write the track after his friend was hit by a car, making the song about reflecting on tragedy with a positive disposition.

Doug:

Fly Me To The Moon – Frank Sinatra

"Fly Me to the Moon", originally titled "In Other Words", is a song written in 1954 by Bart Howard. The first recording of the song was made in 1954 by Kaye Ballard. Frank Sinatra's 1964 version was closely associated with the Apollo missions to the Moon.

In 1999, the Songwriters Hall of Fame honored "Fly Me to the Moon" by inducting it as a "Towering Song"

Chap:

December, 1963 (Oh What a Night!) - Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons

"December, 1963 (Oh, What a Night)" is a song originally performed by the Four Seasons, written by original Four Seasons keyboard player Bob Gaudio and his future wife Judy Parker, produced by Gaudio, and included on the group's album, Who Loves You (1975).

The song features drummer Gerry Polci on lead vocals, with Frankie Valli, the group's usual lead vocalist, singing the bridge sections and backing vocals and bass player Don Ciccone singing the falsetto part.
I am sure I'll get killed for this, but man do I HATE Petty's voice. Pretty sold list here and I'd have to lean Volunteers as the best pick of this round.

Users who are viewing this thread