What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Nick Foles era (1 Viewer)

Insein said:
wdcrob said:
Foles is an average-to-a-bit better NFL QB. Say 10-15, 12-16 -- something like that. And he's 25 in 2015. The odds that the Eagles can improve on that without selling the franchise are very low, and Foles will probably start again next year IMO.
Quarterback is the least of our problems. If they mortgage the future for Mariota, it would set us back years.
Getting a franchise QB never sets anyone back. Missing on the pick does, but not if they get it right.
How's that working out for Washington? RG3 was a better prospect than Mariota.

Insein said:
wdcrob said:
Foles is an average-to-a-bit better NFL QB. Say 10-15, 12-16 -- something like that. And he's 25 in 2015. The odds that the Eagles can improve on that without selling the franchise are very low, and Foles will probably start again next year IMO.
Quarterback is the least of our problems. If they mortgage the future for Mariota, it would set us back years.
Getting a franchise QB never sets anyone back. Missing on the pick does, but not if they get it right.
When you have to roster 55 people dealing 6-7 for one is never a good idea.

Even as good as a Julio Jones is I don't know that dealing that much was worth it.

Insein said:
wdcrob said:
Exactly how I said it would. They missed on the pick, it's setting them back.

Draft is a long way away. Geno was the #1 overall pick weeks before the draft. Lots of things can change. Let's see how everything is looking in April.

Insein said:
wdcrob said:
Disagree, I like Mariota more than Griffin. They are very similar players but Mariota can avoid hits, unlike RG3 who I was concerned about from the beginning getting hurt running. We saw how Griffin did as a rookie and I think Mariota is better at reading defenses than him.

Insein said:
wdcrob said:
Disagree, I like Mariota more than Griffin. They are very similar players but Mariota can avoid hits, unlike RG3 who I was concerned about from the beginning getting hurt running. We saw how Griffin did as a rookie and I think Mariota is better at reading defenses than him.
We'll see when he gets to the NFL how good he is at reading defenses. I have only watched like 2 games of his but he seems like a 'one read and leave' QB just like RG3.

Insein said:
wdcrob said:
Very convenient to say they missed after the fact.

Insein said:
wdcrob said:
You kidding? RG3 won the heisman over Luck. Was being debated by some experts (not in Indy) as being the #1 overall pick. Luck had a 99 draft grade. RG3 had a 97. Mariota has a 95.

RG3 was considered a generational talent along with Luck. Mariota happens to be the best QB in his class and will go #1 but there is no guarantee he ever becomes a top tier QB. Look at the QBs that have won Super Bowls in the last 15 years and the teams they had around them. QB is a piece of the puzzle. You need a good one playing good at the right time but a defense is the bigger piece.

ShaHBucks said:
cstu said:
wdcrob said:
He has a 14-4 record the past two years and an adjusted net yards per pass attempt as a 2nd and 3rd year QB that is behind only Warner.
And a career passer rating higher than Andrew Luck's :coffee:
Hey, don't be talking about the Golden Child like that. He is the greatest QB ever and don't be using insignificant stats like "Passer Rating" to try to disprove that. It just shows that you are a hater.

Insein said:
wdcrob said:
So that's it? The book is closed on RGIII? Wow, that was a short career.

Insein said:
wdcrob said:
You kidding? RG3 won the heisman over Luck. Was being debated by some experts (not in Indy) as being the #1 overall pick. Luck had a 99 draft grade. RG3 had a 97. Mariota has a 95.

RG3 was considered a generational talent along with Luck. Mariota happens to be the best QB in his class and will go #1 but there is no guarantee he ever becomes a top tier QB. Look at the QBs that have won Super Bowls in the last 15 years and the teams they had around them. QB is a piece of the puzzle. You need a good one playing good at the right time but a defense is the bigger piece.
Part of that was hype over his nickname and colorful socks. However, he did take the Redskins to the playoffs (from 5-11 to 9-6) and he had arguably the rookie year by a QB in NFL history. Had he not torn his ACL we'd be taking about him as one of the league's best QB's.

Insein said:
wdcrob said:

Part of that was hype over his nickname and colorful socks. However, he did take the Redskins to the playoffs (from 5-11 to 9-6) and he had arguably the rookie year by a QB in NFL history. Had he not torn his ACL we'd be taking about him as one of the league's best QB's.
except the fact that he cant throw

One thing that is really disappointing about this year is that I was hoping we would get a full season to watch Foles. He was really cut short this year just when the offensive line was starting to come together. That said, I can't believe some of the comments I have heard on national ESPN radio regarding the Eagles and our QB situation. It's as if Chip was counting on turning Sanchez's career around and now the Eagles have no idea where to turn. I heard Joe Theismann (I know) on one of the shows today and he lumped the Eagles in with teams that are unsettled at the QB position.

Hello out there??? I put this together myself, so I might have something wrong, but you get the point. Eagles under Chip when Foles starts and finishes the game over the last 2 years (including the playoff game) = 13-4

Against teams that finished at or below .500 = 10-2

Losses @ Vikings in 2013 and @ SF in 2014. The Vikings loss was a bad one. SF is a 'good' bad team. Either way, both on the road. I think we all would take this kind of record moving forward.

Against teams that finished over .500 = 3-2

Wins

2013 - @GB (no Rodgers and they were barely over .500 so this isn't as impressive as it sounds)

2013 - AZ (good home win against a good team)

2014 - @IND on Monday night (Foles leads game tying drive starting at 5:00 and game winning FG drive starting at 2:00)

Losses

2013 - NO playoff game (Foles leaves field after TD drive to get the lead, never touches ball again)

2014 - @AZ (Foles leads FG drive to take the lead at 2:00. Then, after the defense blows it, he gets team to the AZ 16 after starting at his own 20 with 1:21 remaining)

I really don't know if Foles is the answer or not. The above is just too small of a sample size. However, even in the 2 losses Foles had the team in position to win. I can't seem to figure out how anyone doesn't think that the Eagles have their QB for at least next year and that there is still great reason for optimism about the position.

The Eagles have their starter. Fix the other stuff on the team. Draft a QB to groom as a backup.

ShaHBucks said:
cstu said:
He has a 14-4 record the past two years and an adjusted net yards per pass attempt as a 2nd and 3rd year QB that is behind only Warner.
And a career passer rating higher than Andrew Luck's :coffee:
Hey, don't be talking about the Golden Child like that. He is the greatest QB ever and don't be using insignificant stats like "Passer Rating" to try to disprove that. It just shows that you are a hater.
From the 2011 QB draft class, the passer rating rank goes:

1) Wilson

2) Foles

3) RGIII

4) Luck

5) Tannehill

The two on top? 3rd round picks. The three on bottom? Top 8 picks.

Be careful what you wish for moving up in the draft for that top QB. It's expensive and you HAVE to hit to make it worth it.

One thing that is really disappointing about this year is that I was hoping we would get a full season to watch Foles. He was really cut short this year just when the offensive line was starting to come together. That said, I can't believe some of the comments I have heard on national ESPN radio regarding the Eagles and our QB situation. It's as if Chip was counting on turning Sanchez's career around and now the Eagles have no idea where to turn. I heard Joe Theismann (I know) on one of the shows today and he lumped the Eagles in with teams that are unsettled at the QB position.

Hello out there??? I put this together myself, so I might have something wrong, but you get the point. Eagles under Chip when Foles starts and finishes the game over the last 2 years (including the playoff game) = 13-4

Against teams that finished at or below .500 = 10-2

Losses @ Vikings in 2013 and @ SF in 2014. The Vikings loss was a bad one. SF is a 'good' bad team. Either way, both on the road. I think we all would take this kind of record moving forward.

Against teams that finished over .500 = 3-2

Wins

2013 - @GB (no Rodgers and they were barely over .500 so this isn't as impressive as it sounds)

2013 - AZ (good home win against a good team)

2014 - @IND on Monday night (Foles leads game tying drive starting at 5:00 and game winning FG drive starting at 2:00)

Losses

2013 - NO playoff game (Foles leaves field after TD drive to get the lead, never touches ball again)

2014 - @AZ (Foles leads FG drive to take the lead at 2:00. Then, after the defense blows it, he gets team to the AZ 16 after starting at his own 20 with 1:21 remaining)

I really don't know if Foles is the answer or not. The above is just too small of a sample size. However, even in the 2 losses Foles had the team in position to win. I can't seem to figure out how anyone doesn't think that the Eagles have their QB for at least next year and that there is still great reason for optimism about the position.

The Eagles have their starter. Fix the other stuff on the team. Draft a QB to groom as a backup.
Agree. He had one season (10 games or however many he played anyway) where he played out of his mind. And then one season where he underachieved and looked kind of average with a dinged OL and a lot of people are treating the QB situation like the Jets or the Browns or the Texans.

Don't see how you don't give Foles another year and maybe bring in a 3rd rounder to groom in the event things go the wrong way with him.

How the hell else are you supposed to look at it? No one was complaining about the price they paid when he turned them around the first year and won 11 games. And if they were still winning 11 games and division titles do you think anyone would start? An elite QB can carry a franchise and no price is too high. Do you think Indy would take 4 first round picks for Luck right now?

Nick Foles continues to work alongside his teammates at practice. He’s ditched the knit cap for a helmet and has ramped up his level of participation of late, signs that his fractured collarbone is on the mend. But it didn’t heal fast enough for Foles to make a return to the lineup this season.

Come Sunday, Mark Sanchez and Foles will have started the same number of games this year. Considering that he hasn’t been in the lineup since November 2 and has yet to play a full season in the NFL, has the coaching seen enough to know what they have in Foles?

“I think we know what we have in Nick,” said Pat Shurmur. “We’ve seen a guy that by last count I think is 14-4 as a starter (under Chip Kelly). So that’s really how you judge a quarterback.”

Foles was 6-2 as a starter in 2014 but his numbers dropped off significantly. He completed 59.8 percent of his passes and threw 13 touchdowns to 10 interceptions and lost three fumbles while working behind a largely makeshift offensive line.

As he enters the final year of his rookie contract, the quarterback’s overall grade still feels like an incomplete.

“There’s certainly areas where we all can get better, but the way he’s approached his rehab, if he continues through the offseason I’m really looking forward to what he can do next year,” said Shurmur.

http://www.phillymag.com/birds247/2014/12/23/notes-foles-cole-corner-spot/#more-2888490

How the hell else are you supposed to look at it? No one was complaining about the price they paid when he turned them around the first year and won 11 games. And if they were still winning 11 games and division titles do you think anyone would start? An elite QB can carry a franchise and no price is too high. Do you think Indy would take 4 first round picks for Luck right now?
Let's say the Eagles gave up a bunch of picks similar to what Washington gave up and moved up and got Mariota. He starts his career 14-4. Pretty good for what they gave up and the future looks bright. Now, imagine you don't have to trade all those picks.

It would literally be damn near impossible for the Eagles to move up and get Mariota. For the Redskins to move up a few spots to get RG3, they had to sell the farm. The Eagles would have to move up more than just a few spots and there are many teams drafting ahead of them who are in need of a QB. I feel like this whole discussion of the Eagles moving up to get Mariota is ridiculous because it's not even feasible. The Eagles QB next year will be Foles. They could do much, much worse than that :shrug:

It would literally be damn near impossible for the Eagles to move up and get Mariota. For the Redskins to move up a few spots to get RG3, they had to sell the farm. The Eagles would have to move up more than just a few spots and there are many teams drafting ahead of them who are in need of a QB. I feel like this whole discussion of the Eagles moving up to get Mariota is ridiculous because it's not even feasible. The Eagles QB next year will be Foles. They could do much, much worse than that :shrug:
Both the Titans and Bucs need a QB and aren't going to trade him.

Yeah and many more teams ahead of the Eagles also need a QB.

Draft predictions in December: Always a good idea.

Let's say the Eagles gave up a bunch of picks similar to what Washington gave up and moved up and got Mariota. He starts his career 14-4. Pretty good for what they gave up and the future looks bright. Now, imagine you don't have to trade all those picks.
I'm not saying they need to. Personally I think Foles is fine. I was refuting the assertion that paying too much for an elite QB would set the franchise back.

I believe Foles is above-average as an NFL starting QB and QB with Foles is probably the least of their problems. Kelly knows what they need and it isn't to rebuild around a rookie QB.

Last edited by a moderator:
cjv123 said:
I believe Foles is above-average as an NFL starting QB and QB with Foles is probably the least of their problems. Kelly knows what they need and it isn't to rebuild around a rookie QB.
:goodposting:

After the season Foles had in 2013, he deserves more than a half season behind a beat up line before being declared "not the answer". Address the secondary, give Foles another year and re-evaluate next year if necessary.

Foles is good enough. Championships, more often then npt, are won by very good defenses, with above average QB's. Foles can be elevated to good QB play. Let's get the O-line and defense going, and we'll be fine.

Rotoworld:

Nick Foles - QB - Eagles

Speaking Wednesday, coach Chip Kelly declined to give Nick Foles a full endorsement.

Kelly said he'll go through a long evaluation process on all his players, including Foles. He's not going to name him his starter even though Foles is 14-4 over his last 18 starts under Kelly. That's because he was shaky this season, turning the ball over 13 times in just more than seven games and completing just 59.8 percent of his passes. The problem for the Eagles is that they're unlikely to find serious competition for Foles this offseason unless they mortgage their whole future to move up in the draft for Marcus Mariota or Jameis Winston. Foles, heading into the final year of his rookie contract, is the heavy favorite to open 2015 as the Eagles' starting quarterback

Source: Philadelphia Inquirer & Daily News

Dec 25 - 9:45 AM

In my opinion Foles is fine, but Kelly wants more. He is going to make a move at the position, but it might not be until after 2015. Unless he can pull off the blockbuster to get Mariota or Winston falls

I realize Kelly wants his guy but sometimes in the NFL, that guy may never come and you make do with what you have. We'll see how adaptive he is.

Agree with Mayock. Chip would love to get Mariota but Hundley has many of the same strengths and would fit what he wants to do. However, he may not want to spend the 1st it would take to get Hundley so if Dak Prescott declares he may be able get him the 2nd or 3rd and let him sit behind Foles for a year. If Foles plays well and he doesn't like what he sees in Prescott then the Eagles can re-sign Foles and keep Prescott as a backup.

The Foles Dilemma

OVER THE COURSE of the next few weeks, Chip Kelly will look at every pass Nick Foles threw this season and last.

He will break down his mechanics and his decision-making and his accuracy and his pocket presence and everything else that game film can tell a coach about a quarterback.

At some point, he will examine the evidence and come to a conclusion as to whether he thinks the Eagles can one day win a Super Bowl with Foles as their quarterback.

There's no way to know that for sure, of course. Which is why, even if Kelly ultimately decides that they can win a Super Bowl with Foles, the organization almost certainly will hedge its bet by signing a veteran quarterback in free agency and/or selecting one fairly early in the draft.

"They're in a tough spot," NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock said. "The question they have to find the answer to is, do they have their quarterback of the future? They're hoping Nick can be that guy. But they don't know. Nobody does.

"You have to be looking in the draft and elsewhere for someone to compete with him. I don't think it's [Mark] Sanchez. Mark is what he is, which, for me, is a really good quality backup quarterback who, if you need him for a game or two, can come in and play at a level where you can compete.

"If Nick was your backup quarterback, you'd be ecstatic. But I still don't think you can discount him yet as a starting quarterback."

Last year at this time, Foles was coming off a magical season in which he threw 27 touchdown passes and only two interceptions. It was easy to believe then that he could be the Eagles' starting quarterback for the next 10 years.

But there was no encore in 2014. There was just a lot of poor decision-making and bad footwork, 13 TDs and 10 interceptions in eight games, and a season-ending broken collarbone.

"I think what happened with Foles is, LeSean McCoy was coming off a season where every defensive coordinator decided that the first thing you have to do when you play the Eagles is stop the run game," Mayock said. "Every team plays a lot of single-high [safety]. They're dropping safeties in the box. They're saying, 'You're not going to run the football against us. Somebody else is going to have to beat us.' Meaning your quarterback.

"Early in the season, that problem got exaggerated by the offensive line's injury situation. Nick is a young quarterback who is trying to become a better quarterback. He was trying to push the ball down the field a little bit. Taking more chances than he did the year before. Fit balls into tight windows. And he started turning the ball over. A lot of what they did on offense was masked by all of those touchdowns they scored on special teams and defense."

Mayock thinks the Eagles probably will take a quarterback in the draft to compete with Foles. Who? Way too early in the evaluation process to say. But one player he's intrigued by just off the early tapes he's studied is Brett Hundley, of UCLA.

Hundley is a 6-3, 225-pounder with a strong arm and mobility.

"I still have a lot of homework to do on him, but he's a big, strong kid. A fourth-year junior who has already graduated. A good athlete, not a great one. But he's interesting, because he has a live arm and he's athletic.

"Early in the year, people were saying he ran too much. He got criticized a lot of different ways this year, including for not using his legs enough. They lost to Stanford, and I think he had five or six carries for minus-18 yards. Then against Oregon, he had something like 22 carries. So he's been getting killed on both sides of the issue."

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/20150102_The_Nick_Foles__dilemma.html#dCivHPw7lrW45mPq.99

Rotoworld:

Nick Foles - QB - Eagles

A source tells NJ.com that the Rams have interest in Nick Foles if the Eagles decide to trade him this offseason.

Foles is 14-4 as a starter over the last two seasons, but there's plenty of reason to believe he is not Chip Kelly's guy for the long haul. Kelly inherited Foles, he prefers a mobile quarterback, Foles regressed sharply as a thrower in Year 2 and the Eagles could be plotting a move up in the draft for Oregon QB Marcus Mariota. According to NJ.com, the QB-desperate Titans and Texans would also have interest in Foles, who has one year remaining on his rookie contract. The Rams have already said Sam Bradford (ACL surgery) will face competition in training camp.

Related: Texans, Rams, Titans, Marcus Mariota

Source: NJ.com

Jan 26 - 10:36 AM

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

NJ.com calls the Eagles' denial of a 2013 Josh Gordon-for-Nick Foles trade "one of the first real signs of support the team has shown for Foles since (Chip) Kelly arrived."

The Eagles turned down the trade following 2013 training camp, when Foles lost a camp battle to Michael Vick and Gordon was facing a two-game suspension. Gordon would go on to lead the league in receiving while playing 14 games. Even if Gordon's off-field issues scared the Eagles off, it's still a vote of confidence in Foles -- a player Kelly inherited and isn't a classic fit for his offense. The Marcus Mariota rumors won't stop until draft day comes and goes, but perhaps Kelly is higher on Foles than we thought.

Source: NJ.com
Feb 17 - 9:25 AM

Rotoworld:

The Philly Inquirer believes Nick Foles could be the "odd man out" after the Eagles' re-signing of Mark Sanchez.
Beat writer Jeff McLane says Foles could "net a high draft pick" in trade talks, and continues to believe the Eagles will target a trade up for Oregon QB Marcus Mariota in the draft. In an extremely quarterback-needy NFL, Foles could probably fetch a second-round pick. Sanchez's two-year, $9 million contract is at the high end of backup quarterback money, and a sensible sum if the Eagles are going to view him as a "bridge" to a rookie.

Source: Philadelphia Inquirer
Mar 8 - 7:49 PM

Rotoworld:

The Philly Inquirer believes Nick Foles could be the "odd man out" after the Eagles' re-signing of Mark Sanchez.

Beat writer Jeff McLane says Foles could "net a high draft pick" in trade talks, and continues to believe the Eagles will target a trade up for Oregon QB Marcus Mariota in the draft. In an extremely quarterback-needy NFL, Foles could probably fetch a second-round pick. Sanchez's two-year, $9 million contract is at the high end of backup quarterback money, and a sensible sum if the Eagles are going to view him as a "bridge" to a rookie.

Source: Philadelphia Inquirer

Mar 8 - 7:49 PM
No #### Jeff. IF they get MM, then Foles would be "the odd man out.".

Not a good sign for Foles and their fantasy owners. Hopefully he gets traded to a decent situation.
It's not going to be easy for Chip to get Mariota. It's still Foles' team until that happens.
Yeah i guess that's true. Seems like a lot of money for sanchez to back up foles, but i guess maybe they needed to do it.
$5-6M is quickly becoming the going rate for an upper-tier backup QB.

Wouldn't Nick Foles be a better fit for the Titans than Mariota is anyway? I mean both Mettenberger and Foles are classic tall pocket passers. Both have strong arms just like Whisenhunt's previous proteges: Rothlisberger and Rivers. Even if they want Mettenberger to compete to be the starter next year, with his injury history it would be wise for the Titans to add a starting caliber QB. If the Eagles are truly thinking of trading up with Tennessee, I would be surprised if Titans wouldn't want Foles as part of the deal.

That said, I have a hard time seeing the trade happen. It all seems to predictable and the price tag is enormous. I wouldn't be surprised to see Mariota fall some because he is such a tremendous project. It sure would be entertaining to see Kelly and Mariota running their system in the NFL.

Wouldn't Nick Foles be a better fit for the Titans than Mariota is anyway? I mean both Mettenberger and Foles are classic tall pocket passers. Both have strong arms just like Whisenhunt's previous proteges: Rothlisberger and Rivers. Even if they want Mettenberger to compete to be the starter next year, with his injury history it would be wise for the Titans to add a starting caliber QB. If the Eagles are truly thinking of trading up with Tennessee, I would be surprised if Titans wouldn't want Foles as part of the deal.

That said, I have a hard time seeing the trade happen. It all seems to predictable and the price tag is enormous. I wouldn't be surprised to see Mariota fall some because he is such a tremendous project. It sure would be entertaining to see Kelly and Mariota running their system in the NFL.
I do wonder if something isn't already in place with Tennessee. Pure speculation obviously. If they like Foles, and Philly doesn't want him that makes a potential deal more reasonable from Philly's side.

I do wonder if something isn't already in place with Tennessee. Pure speculation obviously. If they like Foles, and Philly doesn't want him that makes a potential deal more reasonable from Philly's side.
That's my feeling. Foles may not be the ideal Chip QB but neither is Bradford. There's a good chance the Titans agreed to a deal pending Chip being able to acquire Bradford.

Users who are viewing this thread