What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Mock Drafters are wrong about my team because... (1 Viewer)

Wadsworth

Footballguy
I've been clicking around the net looking at Mock Drafts and can't believe some of the picks people are slotting for the Jaguars. I figure I must be equally clueless about most other NFL teams so I thought I'd start a thread where you can clear up the needs your favorite team faces and clear up some of the misconceptions some of the mockers have about your favorite team.

Jacksonville Jaguars:

Needs: Huge need at left tackle. Khalif Barnes is a free agent and Collier was the victim of a tragic shooting. They don't even have a left tackle on roster right now. They need a defensive tackle to play next to Henderson and also a safety, a linebacker, wide receiver, and more depth on offensive line(maybe a center).

Players I see that makes no sense:

Jeremy Maclin: I know the Jags have a history of reaching for wide receivers in the first but I can't imagine that new GM Gene Smith will start out his regime doing the same. Nothing against Maclin, but I'd concider him a reach at #8 and while WR is a need it not close to enough of a need to bypass other players in that spot.

Rey Maualuga: The thinking seems to be; Mike Peterson is gone, Jack Del Rio played linebacker at USC, so he drafts Maualuga to replace Peterson. Well while Peterson is likely gone, linebacker is one of the few positions for which you can pencil in a starting line up. Smith, Durant and Ingrim have played pretty well. Beyond that, Wayne Weaver made a definitive public statement that Gene Smith has final say on drafting so Del Rio's USC connection means little.

Players I think they'll target: It seems pretty simple if they don't address left tackle in free agency. Monroe, A. Smith, J. Smith or Oher. The only other direction I could see would be Raji.

Please share yours.

I've been clicking around the net looking at Mock Drafts and can't believe some of the picks people are slotting for the Jaguars. I figure I must be equally clueless about most other NFL teams so I thought I'd start a thread where you can clear up the needs your favorite team faces and clear up some of the misconceptions some of the mockers have about your favorite team.

Jacksonville Jaguars:

Needs: Huge need at left tackle. Khalif Barnes is a free agent and Collier was the victim of a tragic shooting. They don't even have a left tackle on roster right now. They need a defensive tackle to play next to Henderson and also a safety, a linebacker, wide receiver, and more depth on offensive line(maybe a center).

Jeremy Maclin: I know the Jags have a history of reaching for wide receivers in the first but I can't imagine that new GM Gene Smith will start out his regime doing the same. Nothing against Maclin, but I'd concider him a reach at #8 and while WR is a need it not close to enough of a need to bypass other players in that spot.

Rey Maualuga: The thinking seems to be; Mike Peterson is gone, Jack Del Rio played linebacker at USC, so he drafts Maualuga to replace Peterson. Well while Peterson is likely gone, linebacker is one of the few positions for which you can pencil in a starting line up. Smith, Durant and Ingrim have played pretty well. Beyond that, Wayne Weaver made a definitive public statement that Gene Smith has final say on drafting so Del Rio's USC connection means little.

Players I think they'll target: It seems pretty simple if they don't address left tackle in free agency. Monroe, A. Smith, J. Smith or Oher. The only other direction I could see would be Raji.

Please share yours.
Maualuga would be a good pick there, but from a fantasy perspective I'd love to see Durant get his shot. Yes, I know fantasy is not reality but without it I have absolutely no interest in the Jags.

I think you're wrong. Maualuga has a change to be really, really good. Smith and Ingram are just okay and always will be.That being said, my next mock likely has them taking Jason Smith.

There is 0.00000000000000000000000000000001% chance the Browns take any offensive player at #5.

IB Lloyd Christmas' "so you're telling me there's a chance..."

Andy Dufresne said:
Wadsworth said:
I think you're wrong. Maualuga has a change to be really, really good. Smith and Ingram are just okay and always will be.That being said, my next mock likely has them taking Jason Smith.
I quite agree with you on Maualuga, he's a excellent prospect and could be special as a Jaguar. I think he's one of the top 5 or 6 players in the draft. I also agree that the Jags LBs are nothing special. If the Jags sign an LT in free agency Rey or Raji would likely be at the top my board for the #8 pick. But until the Jaguars have a left tackle on roster it hard to imagine them drafting a linebacker when they basically have 3 returning starters.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is 0.00000000000000000000000000000001% chance the Browns take any offensive player at #5.

:thumbup: completely agree here. I've actually liked the mocks I've seen so far. Curry at 5 would be a welcome addition to our LB corps. I've seen a few into rnd two that have us getting Shonn Greene. I've got no issue with that either. At some point we have to address Jamal's wear and tear and to get Greene in the 2nd would be a nice pickup IMO.

Does JAX have a Def. Coordinator yet? I heard that interim DC from Cleveland was interviewing. Are they switching to a 3-4? Or will they continue to run Del Rio's system?

Andy Dufresne said:
Wadsworth said:
I quite agree with you on Maualuga, he's a excellent prospect and could be special as a Jaguar. I think he's one of the top 5 or 6 players in the draft. I also agree that the Jags LBs are nothing special. If the Jags sign an LT in free agency Rey or Raji would likely be at the top my board for the #8 pick. But until the Jaguars have a left tackle on roster it hard to imagine them drafting a linebacker when they basically have 3 returning starters.
Fair enough. :thumbup: Must be disappointing that Barnes didn't pan out. He looked good early in his career.

:thumbup: completely agree here. I've actually liked the mocks I've seen so far. Curry at 5 would be a welcome addition to our LB corps. I've seen a few into rnd two that have us getting Shonn Greene. I've got no issue with that either. At some point we have to address Jamal's wear and tear and to get Greene in the 2nd would be a nice pickup IMO.
Would Browns fans be equally happy with either Curry or Orakpo?

Does JAX have a Def. Coordinator yet? I heard that interim DC from Cleveland was interviewing. Are they switching to a 3-4? Or will they continue to run Del Rio's system?
They hired Mel Tucker from the Browns with the title of DB coach. I looks like Del Rio will assume the role of DC with Tucker acting in his stead when Del Rio has other duties. The situation has not been completely defined and I don't expect that to change until the Jaguars coaching staff gets back from the Senior Bowl. They should stay 4-3.

I'd much rather have Curry. Since they are sticking with a 3-4, LB's are the most important position, IMO.

:wub: completely agree here. I've actually liked the mocks I've seen so far. Curry at 5 would be a welcome addition to our LB corps. I've seen a few into rnd two that have us getting Shonn Greene. I've got no issue with that either. At some point we have to address Jamal's wear and tear and to get Greene in the 2nd would be a nice pickup IMO.
I'd much rather have Curry. Since they are sticking with a 3-4, LB's are the most important position, IMO.
Is Beau Bell not panning out in Clevland or will he get a shot in 2009?

Andy Dufresne said:
Wadsworth said:
Fair enough. :confused: Must be disappointing that Barnes didn't pan out. He looked good early in his career.
Very, very disappointing. Barnes has plenty of talent but likes the night life and hated Jacksonville. He is absolutely a guy that could turn around his career on the right team if he grows up a little.

:cry: completely agree here. I've actually liked the mocks I've seen so far. Curry at 5 would be a welcome addition to our LB corps. I've seen a few into rnd two that have us getting Shonn Greene. I've got no issue with that either. At some point we have to address Jamal's wear and tear and to get Greene in the 2nd would be a nice pickup IMO.
Is Beau Bell not panning out in Clevland or will he get a shot in 2009?
I think Bell will be an OLB in the 3-4, if they draft Curry. Hard to tell if he'll pan out seeing how he no playing time this year and he was injured.

Detroit - they have at least 5 positions of need much greater than a QB. And no, WR is not one of them. And no, I don't think any of the QB's are worthy of the top pick, let alone the top-10.

Here's to hoping Mayhew has a bad taste in his mouth over Harrington and he won't attempt to repeat Millen's mistake of trying to build a team around a QB/WR.

I can't see anything other than an OT or DE for my Who Deys, most likely in that order. I'd find it less surprising if a mocker put Mack there at 6. All the RB/WR stuff doesn't make sense and I really don't think it's the way they'll go.

-QG

Wadsworth said:

Jacksonville Jaguars:

Please share yours.
WW,Gene Smith stated his BAP philosophy. Do you not buy it?

:lmao: completely agree here. I've actually liked the mocks I've seen so far. Curry at 5 would be a welcome addition to our LB corps. I've seen a few into rnd two that have us getting Shonn Greene. I've got no issue with that either. At some point we have to address Jamal's wear and tear and to get Greene in the 2nd would be a nice pickup IMO.
I think the idea with Orakpo is that he could make a good 3-4 OLB. He's not a 3-4 DE, that's for sure.

For the Packers, the prevailing opinion is that the switch to the 3-4 demands a front seven player be drafted at #9. Failing that, help for the offensive line.

But I haven't read anywhere what the GB staff thinks of the top RBs in this draft. If they love Wells or Moreno they could draft one of them there.

(Alternately, "draftniks are wrong because GB will trade away the pick."

I think the idea with Orakpo is that he could make a good 3-4 OLB. He's not a 3-4 DE, that's for sure.
I would probably lean towards Curry as well. Honestly our OLB's are not that good either. Wimbley has not progressed like most of us have hoped. McGinest is a little long in the tooth and Peek is depth at best. Jackson is ok, but I think Leon Williams isn't going to get to starter status. So, basically we need three starting LB's. I think alot of it will depend on free agency and what happens there. If somehow we could get a guy like Suggs to bookend with Wimbley, then I think Curry is a slam dunk.

Wadsworth said:

Jacksonville Jaguars:

Please share yours.
WW,Gene Smith stated his BAP philosophy. Do you not buy it?
I don't think any team in the NFL is pure 100% BAP all the time. Weaver also said they would not be a player in free agency. If they don't make a move to get a left tackle I don't see how they can go BAP at the #8 pick. As Weaver also stated I expect them to try and trade down, if they cannot I expect a tackle to be the best available player. At least that's what they'll say at the presser. I hope Gene Smith is serious and will commit to BAP in the future. But with the tragic crippling of Richard Collier, the Jags are backed into a corner at left tackle right now.

For the Packers, the prevailing opinion is that the switch to the 3-4 demands a front seven player be drafted at #9. Failing that, help for the offensive line.But I haven't read anywhere what the GB staff thinks of the top RBs in this draft. If they love Wells or Moreno they could draft one of them there.(Alternately, "draftniks are wrong because GB will trade away the pick."
I have them pegged at the team Raji does not get past. Do they have anyone on roster that could play nose tackle if they wanted to go another direction?

None of my speculation means much because I don't know how the team has graded any of these guys yet, but you have to draft the player, not the position (i.e. Thompson's much-discussed "best player available" strategy). If I had Jenkins pegged as an awesome CB, or Wells as a really good RB who can be had at #9 only because there isn't high demand for the position this year, I would take those guys instead of the lineman I "need."

:lmao: completely agree here. I've actually liked the mocks I've seen so far. Curry at 5 would be a welcome addition to our LB corps. I've seen a few into rnd two that have us getting Shonn Greene. I've got no issue with that either. At some point we have to address Jamal's wear and tear and to get Greene in the 2nd would be a nice pickup IMO.
I'd much prefer a guy who doesn't have to transition to a different position at the next level.

Colts:

The need is obvious (DT). However, 1st round DTs tend to be taken 5 to 10 spots earlier than most mock drafts have them year after year (it sure seems like it to me) - so probably the DTs that the Colts would give a 1st round grade would be gone by the time the Colts pick in round 1, so they'll pick another position (WR, CB, LB, OT). I hope a good DT prospect falls to them, but I'm expecting that it won't.

duece2626 said:
Andy Dufresne said:

:popcorn: completely agree here. I've actually liked the mocks I've seen so far. Curry at 5 would be a welcome addition to our LB corps. I've seen a few into rnd two that have us getting Shonn Greene. I've got no issue with that either. At some point we have to address Jamal's wear and tear and to get Greene in the 2nd would be a nice pickup IMO.
I'd much prefer a guy who doesn't have to transition to a different position at the next level.
Well sure. I'm just not sure that Curry is going to make it to #5.

duece2626 said:
Andy Dufresne said:

:popcorn: completely agree here. I've actually liked the mocks I've seen so far. Curry at 5 would be a welcome addition to our LB corps. I've seen a few into rnd two that have us getting Shonn Greene. I've got no issue with that either. At some point we have to address Jamal's wear and tear and to get Greene in the 2nd would be a nice pickup IMO.
Maybe not, but when was the last time a LB went higher than #5?

duece2626 said:
Andy Dufresne said:

:confused: completely agree here. I've actually liked the mocks I've seen so far. Curry at 5 would be a welcome addition to our LB corps. I've seen a few into rnd two that have us getting Shonn Greene. I've got no issue with that either. At some point we have to address Jamal's wear and tear and to get Greene in the 2nd would be a nice pickup IMO.
Maybe not, but when was the last time a LB went higher than #5?
Hawk went #5 in 06, Lavar Arrington went #2 in 2000So Andy, do you think someone will take him earlier or do you anticipate a trade up?

djcolts said:
Colts:The need is obvious (DT). However, 1st round DTs tend to be taken 5 to 10 spots earlier than most mock drafts have them year after year (it sure seems like it to me) - so probably the DTs that the Colts would give a 1st round grade would be gone by the time the Colts pick in round 1, so they'll pick another position (WR, CB, LB, OT). I hope a good DT prospect falls to them, but I'm expecting that it won't.
S.Marks from Auburn is an outstanding DT prospect and could play either DT spot in the cover 2. I originally saw him pegged at 15-20, but a couple DT and many others at different positions have seen their stock rise lately, and I haven't even seen Marks in the 1st round in the last couple mock drafts I've seen. He could likely be had late 1st round and still carry a 1st round grade too. OT is where you will see teams reaching later in the 1st.ETA: Before I read it, the SI mock just put him there, and I think it makes perfect sense.

I can't see anything other than an OT or DE for my Who Deys, most likely in that order. I'd find it less surprising if a mocker put Mack there at 6. All the RB/WR stuff doesn't make sense and I really don't think it's the way they'll go.-QG
Every time I come into one of these threads thinking I have something good to post you beat me to it, saying exactly what I was thinking. :shrug:

The Vikes are going to trade their 1st round pick away for a QB.
I think they'll continue with Frerotte & Jackson, with Jackson starting the year again. When he came back in week 14 he finished the season with a 95.6 passer rating compared to Gus's 73.7.Or am I missing on Frerrotte's contract situation? I can see the Vikes bringing in a different veteran to compete with Jackson then, but I doubt they'd use their 1st rounder for that.I'm by no means a Vikes insider, just throwing my 2 cents out there.

My two teams:

1. Chicago: Man, I can't see a WR like everyone is projecting. I really think they go QB or OL with their pick in round 1. Every year one QB drops, and I think Stafford or Sanchez will this year. They could use DE help too if a good one drops.

2. Philly: I think most drafts are right on so far. I see them going RB, OT or S with their two 1st rounders.

The Vikes are going to trade their 1st round pick away for a QB.
I think they'll continue with Frerotte & Jackson, with Jackson starting the year again. When he came back in week 14 he finished the season with a 95.6 passer rating compared to Gus's 73.7.Or am I missing on Frerrotte's contract situation? I can see the Vikes bringing in a different veteran to compete with Jackson then, but I doubt they'd use their 1st rounder for that.I'm by no means a Vikes insider, just throwing my 2 cents out there.
I'm just voicing some wishful thinking, but I will say that I don't think it's likely that Frerotte will be back. He was mouthing off a bit about how he was handled after his injury and has indicated he'd only come back if he were guaranteed the start. My statement was assuming something like a trade for a franchised Cassel, but it's just a shot in the dark.

NINERS:

Raji, Brown, or Orakpo... one of them will fall to us, and one of them WILL be ours. though Mays wouldnt be too bad here, niners just signed former first day pick Jimmy Williams, which says they arent interested in mays, or they dont think he will be there when they pick. NOT a project spread QB who will take 4 years to develop (many people have Bradford here), we allready have one of those... :goodposting:

either way, biggest needs are all about equal and in no special order, here they are...

BIGGEST

RT

NT

Pass Rusher

FS

BIG

QB

NEEDS (not huge but would be nice

OL/DL depth

BAM

WR

CB

For the Packers, the prevailing opinion is that the switch to the 3-4 demands a front seven player be drafted at #9. Failing that, help for the offensive line.But I haven't read anywhere what the GB staff thinks of the top RBs in this draft. If they love Wells or Moreno they could draft one of them there.(Alternately, "draftniks are wrong because GB will trade away the pick."
I have them pegged at the team Raji does not get past. Do they have anyone on roster that could play nose tackle if they wanted to go another direction?
If in fact he does, he wont make it past the next pick... niners!!BAM

Users who are viewing this thread