What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The middle-aged dummies are forming a band called "Blanket"! It's a cover band. (5 Viewers)

* -- Yes, I realize this came out in 1991, but there was still plenty of "80s music" in 1990 and 1991 until Nirvana hit big. My radio stations played The Who's cover of Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting from this same tribute album.

The Eighties in music began in September 1978 when the first PiL single came out and ended in September 1991 with the release of Nevermind. :yes:

I finally got caught up on the last 10 days worth of playlists while cleaning out my basement storage area this weekend. I feel so accomplished - everything in matching clear bins, labeled, and stacked neatly. At least until my wife craps it up by shoving all sorts of things where they don't belong and I'm compelled to do it all over again next year.

Anyway, my favorite three from each round among the ones that hadn't appeared yet:

22s
Tryin' to Get to Heaven - Phosphorescent (Robert Zimmerman)
Little Honda - Yo La Tengo (Beach Boys)
A New England - Kirsty Maccoll (Billy Bragg) - When i first heard the original way back when, I had never heard of "prams" so I thought BB was singing "pushing grams." Which led to wondering why schoolgirls in England were dealing coke.

23s
I Shall Be Released - Wilco and Fleet Foxes (Robert Zimmerman)
Hey Hey Helen - Lush (Abba)
Welcome to the Machine – Shadows Fall (Pink Floyd) - This shouldn't be my scene at all but I was entralled.

24s
掙脫 (“Dreams”) - Faye Wong (Cranberries)
Ooh La La - Silkworm (Faces)
One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer - George Thorogood and the Destroyers (John Lee Hooker, Amos Milburn) - My brother and cousin always talk about seeing George play in my hometown when he was starting out. The Gulls Nest lounge was famous for letting in anyone with a fake ID in, but I was 5 at the time, so doubt they were that lenient.

25s
One More Cup of Coffee - The White Stripes (Robert Zimmerman)
The Passenger - Siouxsie and the Banshees (Iggy Pop)
Just A Gigolo / I Ain't Got Nobody - David Lee Roth (Louis Prima) - Had no idea this was a cover back in the day, Just thought it was Dave being Dave. Will always love it.

26s
Dear Mr. Fantasy – Southern Culture on the Skids (Traffic)
The Man Who Sold the World - Nirvana (David Bowie)
Fox on the Run - Tom T Hall (Manfred Mann) - Not sure how I never heard this. Was really hoping it was Fox on the Run by Sweet, but any disappointment was short-lived.

27s
Boys - The Beatles (The Shirelles)
Don't You Evah - Spoon (The Natural History)
If I Needed You – Lyle Lovett (Townes Van Zandt) - Perfect.

Hey @Uruk-Hai - while I was cleaning things out this weekend, I found my program from the 1979 Orioles-Angels ALCS and another program from August the previous season. If you want to stop by and listen to my new trove of classic Billy Joel records, it would be a blast to reminisce about Kiko Garcia and Tippy Martinez.

My favorite part in the programs, aside from the cigarette and liquor ads, are the concession prices printed on the back page - 90 cents for a crabcake and a 46 oz draft beer (!!!) for $2.50. No wonder Wild Bill Hagy was always so drunk!

Last edited:
Ilov80s:

Heartbeats - Jose Gonzalez (The Knife)

These are the two I've been referencing that I'd expected to get a lot of votes but are just showing up for the first time now.

"Heartbeats" is completely unknown to me, as are Jose Gonzalez and The Knife. I have a lot of holes in my 21st-century musical knowledge ... the little bit that I do know is probably from this board.
Just listened to both Gonzalez's and The Knife's versions of "Heartbeats". Gonzalez's plain-spoken, sparse picking brings this song to a new level for me.

I hate to be "lost old man" about this song ... but as our esteemed board owner might say -- "I find this super interesting": "Heartbeats" is a known, popular song? When krista4 wrote that she expected this to get a lot of votes, I thought "Heartbeats" had a period of popular exposure like Adele's "Hello" or Lorde's "Teams", where you'd hear them all the time even if you weren't seeking them out.

So ... "Heartbeats" is not a way-deep-down underground fave? It was a big-deal huge hit in it's time? I noticed that The Knife's version stalled out at 119 on the Billboard US Single's chart, and Gonzalez' cover never charted in the US. But I understand charts might not mean much here. Was "Heartbeats" in a huge movie (I miss a lot of those, too)? How would someone be exposed to "Heartbeats"? Club scene? Being into DJ type musicians?
I've never heard this, either. It's a bit sleepy for me.

Ilov80s:

These are the two I've been referencing that I'd expected to get a lot of votes but are just showing up for the first time now.

"Heartbeats" is completely unknown to me, as are Jose Gonzalez and The Knife. I have a lot of holes in my 21st-century musical knowledge ... the little bit that I do know is probably from this board.
Just listened to both Gonzalez's and The Knife's versions of "Heartbeats". Gonzalez's plain-spoken, sparse picking brings this song to a new level for me.

I hate to be "lost old man" about this song ... but as our esteemed board owner might say -- "I find this super interesting": "Heartbeats" is a known, popular song? When krista4 wrote that she expected this to get a lot of votes, I thought "Heartbeats" had a period of popular exposure like Adele's "Hello" or Lorde's "Teams", where you'd hear them all the time even if you weren't seeking them out.

So ... "Heartbeats" is not a way-deep-down underground fave? It was a big-deal huge hit in it's time? I noticed that The Knife's version stalled out at 119 on the Billboard US Single's chart, and Gonzalez' cover never charted in the US. But I understand charts might not mean much here. Was "Heartbeats" in a huge movie (I miss a lot of those, too)? How would someone be exposed to "Heartbeats"? Club scene? Being into DJ type musicians?
Hmmm...it looks like it was a top 10 hit in the UK. It was on an episode of The OC which for millenials in the 00s was a huge show and it's music was top notch. Artists that got songs prominently featured there would immediately get tons of itunes downloads and become popular. I am sure that's where I heard the song and my wife and I likely immediately downloaded it illegally.

For the #5s, I decided to do something a little different. Favorites were mostly songs I knew, but had forgotten that it was a cover, or simply didn’t know. But that left some stuff off. Same for thinking about the covers I liked best. So I decided to go five (of course?) deep for the Shout Out too.

Recognized by title alone: 19
Sounded familiar: 3
Knew from M-AD Countdowns: 3
Didn’t Know: 9

Selected Favorites:
Louie, Louie - The Kingsmen. Knew it was a cover, but forgot about it when making my list.
Alone - Heart. Had NO idea it was a cover.
Black Betty - Spiderbait. Knew it was a cover. Wouldn’t have been as sure about the Ram Jam version.
What a Fool Believes - The Doobie Brothers. Totally slipped my mind that this was a cover.
The Letter - Joe Cocker. Knew it was a cover. Was afraid of krista4 wrath (but really, didn’t make the cut)

Hadn’t heard before, but liked:
Get Smart - Melbourne Ska Orchestra. Of course I know the original!
Arrival - Mike Oldfield. Yeah, I don’t know a lot of Abba. But I really liked this!
Atlantic City - The Band. Know the original pretty well.
Don’t You Evah - Spoon. Definitely don’t know the original.
Me & My Uncle - Grateful Dead. Don’t think I’ve heard either version before.

Special Shout-out Subsection:
Boys - Beatles. Original doesn’t sound familiar. Only vaguely familiar with this version.
By the Time I Get to Phoenix - Glen Campbell. Much more familiar with Glen’s version.
Masters at War - Eddie Vedder & Mike McCarthey.
Burn Down the Mission - Phil Collins. Knew original somewhat, though the Elton John countdown was a good refresher. Never heard the cover.
Take a Letter, Maria - The Pleasure Barons. Never heard this version, but this sounds familiar enough that I’ve probably heard SOME version.

My final four are pretty chalky, but so far only one (my #2) has matched. My #1 tune has been chosen, but a different cover. My #3 remains totally ignored, which is surprising, but then again I have a feeling it will land several haymakers before we're done; rinse/repeat for #4.

Hey @Uruk-Hai - while I was cleaning things out this weekend, I found my program from the 1979 Orioles-Angels ALCS and another program from August the previous season. If you want to stop by and listen to my new trove of classic Billy Joel records, it would be a blast to reminisce about Kiko Garcia and Tippy Martinez.

My favorite part in the programs, aside from the cigarette and liquor ads, are the concession prices printed on the back page - 90 cents for a crabcake and a 46 oz draft beer (!!!) for $2.50. No wonder Wild Bill Hagy was always so drunk!
Earl Weaver loved guys like Kiko Garcia and Floyd Rayford - folks who could play multiple positions and let him tinker with his lineups (but not actually have to play them).

I used to go to Three (or was it Two?) Buck Night at Memorial Stadium. It was weeknights only and upper deck. You could bring your own beer in, as long as it was poured into one of those large thermoses with the tap on the bottom and you told the guy at the gate it was "milkshakes". We used to sit in Section 9 (i.e. "North Glen Burnie"). There was no usher, since there was only like 15 people in the section - all drunk and snorting coke. I worked for the State of Maryland at the courthouse in Annapolis then, so it was fine if I showed up to work blasted on no sleep the next day.

Wild Bill was a trip, man. I'd wander over to 34 sometimes (I'd wander everywhere on those nights - see: my previous comment about coke), but he may have been the sanest person in that section. Those people were crazy.

* -- Yes, I realize this came out in 1991, but there was still plenty of "80s music" in 1990 and 1991 until Nirvana hit big. My radio stations played The Who's cover of Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting from this same tribute album.

The Eighties in music began in September 1978 when the first PiL single came out and ended in September 1991 with the release of Nevermind. :yes:
'91/'92 was a great time to discover new music. In addition to Nevermind, I was a big fan of Cracker's eponymus debut, Screaming Tree's Uncle Anesthesia, and Social Distortion's Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell. Now that I think about it, these fours albums were a huge influence on my taste.

'91/'92 was a great time to discover new music. In addition to Nevermind, I was a big fan of Cracker's eponymus debut, Screaming Tree's Uncle Anesthesia, and Social Distortion's Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell. Now that I think about it, these fours albums were a huge influence on my taste.

That was the year ditkaburgers was born and my records went into storage

Loveless
Spiderland
Girlfriend
(Sebadoh) III

Wow. Great year….

Earl Weaver loved guys like Kiko Garcia and Floyd Rayford - folks who could play multiple positions and let him tinker with his lineups (but not actually have to play them).

I used to go to Three (or was it Two?) Buck Night at Memorial Stadium. It was weeknights only and upper deck. You could bring your own beer in, as long as it was poured into one of those large thermoses with the tap on the bottom and you told the guy at the gate it was "milkshakes". We used to sit in Section 9 (i.e. "North Glen Burnie"). There was no usher, since there was only like 15 people in the section - all drunk and snorting coke. I worked for the State of Maryland at the courthouse in Annapolis then, so it was fine if I showed up to work blasted on no sleep the next day.

Dan Okrent's book Nine Innings is one of my favorite baseball books. Okrent structured the book around a random 1982 game between the Orioles and the Brewers going off on tangents about history, strategies and individual players. I was a Brewers fan so those late 70s-early 80s guys are as meaningful as the O's from that era are to you.

Wild Bill was a trip, man. I'd wander over to 34 sometimes (I'd wander everywhere on those nights - see: my previous comment about coke), but he may have been the sanest person in that section. Those people were crazy.
Love this. Jeff will definitely get a kick out of the milkshake story at lunch tomorrow.

I turned 6 during the '79 ALCS and my uncle and cousins took me to Game 1. Despite my tender age, I was the kind of huge fan that memorized the back of baseball cards and won my relatives money when they found other fans foolish enough to bet against my obsessive recall. So even thought I wasn't old enough to drink beer from a thermos or run around the stadium on coke (cotton candy was my vice), no one saw anything wrong with using me to hustle money from drunk strangers.

Dan Okrent's book Nine Innings is one of my favorite baseball books. Okrent structured the book around a random 1982 game between the Orioles and the Brewers going off on tangents about history, strategies and individual players. I was a Brewers fan so those late 70s-early 80s guys are as meaningful as the O's from that era are to you.

That last Orioles-Brewers series of the '82 season will forever be etched in my memory: 40 years ago, the 1982 Orioles magic comeback came up short.

I loved Earl Weaver so much. His book Weaver on Strategy was formative for my young mind and I spent a bunch of summers playing Earl Weaver baseball with my one rich friend that actually had a computer. I remember Dan Okrent too - pretty sure he co-authored the Rotisserie League Baseball book from the late 80s that started my journey into fake sports.

Loveless
Spiderland
Girlfriend
(Sebadoh) III

Wow. Great year….
For me, 1991 is the best album-release year of my music buying life - despite it being remembered for grunge, I'll take Achtung Baby, Girlfriend, and The Low End Theory as my top 3. Actually have a 1992 countdown in the can but been waiting for both the right time and burst of inspiration.

I went to those last 4 games in '82 against Milwaukee. The Orioles had gone on a heater (I think, like 28-5) after a lackluster start and were 3 games behind when that series started, so they needed a sweep to make the playoffs over the Brewers. They won the first three games to tie in the standings, so that Sunday game was winner-take-all. Don Sutton vs Jim Palmer. It was also Earl Weaver's (supposed) last game as manager for the Orioles. Palmer didn't have it that day and Ben Oglive - who couldn't catch a cold in Alaska - made a miraculous sliding catch to kill the final O's rally ended it.

THE most hyped crowd I've ever seen, even after the Orioles lost. Nobody left. We just stayed and kept cheering.

Nevermind
Badmotofinger
Ten
Gish
Green Mind
Temple of the Dog
Use Your Illusions I and II

All 1991 releases I played the hell out of in my dorm room.

Along with Neil's Weld live album, of course.

Okrent is also the inventor of Rotisserie baseball.

He quit playing it after two seasons.

Loveless
Spiderland
Girlfriend
(Sebadoh) III

Wow. Great year….
For me, 1991 is the best album-release year of my music buying life - despite it being remembered for grunge, I'll take Achtung Baby, Girlfriend, and The Low End Theory as my top 3. Actually have a 1992 countdown in the can but been waiting for both the right time and burst of inspiration.

1991 was an amazing year. Some of my favorites released that year:
  • Nevermind - Nirvana
  • Ten - Pearl Jam
  • Temple of the Dog - Temple of the Dog
  • Metallica - Metallica
  • Achtung Baby - U2
  • Into the Great Wide Open - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
  • The Sky is Crying - SRV
  • Out of Time - R.E.M.
  • Don't Get Weird on Me Babe - Lloyd Cole
I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting.

Twenty-Eight-Point Selections:
PART ONE:

Uruk-Hai:

Blue Skies - Willie Nelson (Ben Selvin)
Song: first vote
Cover artist: three votes – Blue Skies (1); Just Breathe (1); Whiskey River (1)
Original artist: first vote

titusbramble:

The Man Who Sold The World - Nirvana (David Bowie)
Song: two votes – Nirvana (2)
Cover artist: seven votes – Where Did You Sleep Last Night (3); The Man Who Sold the World (2); D-7 (1); Love Buzz (1)
Original artist: five votes – The Man Who Sold the World (2); Ziggy Stardust (2); Queen Bitch (1)

Pip’s Invitation:

Ohio/Machine Gun – The Isley Brothers (CSNY/Jimi Hendrix and the Band of Gypsys)
Song: first vote each
Cover artist: three votes – Summer Breeze (2); Ohio/Machine Gun (1)
Original artist: CSN(Y) – two votes – Ohio (1); Long Time Gone (1)
Hendrix: eight votes – Voodoo Child (Slight Return) (3); Little Wing (2); Machine Gun (1); The Wind Cries Mary (1); Purple Haze (1)

Dr. Octopus:

You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go - Miley Cyrus (Robert Zimmerman)
Cover artist: first vote
Original artist: 53 votes – All Along the Watchtower (9); Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door (4); Make You Feel My Love (2); I Shall Be Released (2); You’re Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go (1); Masters of War (1); It Ain’t Me Babe (1); One More Cup of Coffee (1); My Back Pages (1); When I Paint My Masterpiece (1); Tryin’ to Get to Heaven (1); You Got to Serve Somebody (1); Heart of Mine (1); Blowin’ in the Wind (1); Buckets of Rain (1); Girl from the North Country (1); You’re a Big Girl Now (1); A Hard Rain’s A-Gonna Fall (1); This Wheel’s on Fire (1); Mr. Tambourine Man (1); If Not for You (1); Simple Twist of Fate (1); Subterranean Homesick Blues (1); It's All Over Now, Baby Blue (1); Standing in the Doorway (1); Positively Fourth Street (1); Thunder on the Mountain (1); Most of the Time (1); Stuck Inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again (1); Jokerman (1); Ring Them Bells (1); Hurricane (1); The Man in Me (1); Forever Young (1); Sweetheart Like You (1); Everything Is Broken (1); Don’t Think Twice, It’s Alright (1); Ballad of a Thin Man (1); If You See Her, Say Hello (1); Mozambique (1)

simey:

Streets of Baltimore – Gram Parsons (Bobby Bare)

Just Win Baby:

All Along The Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix Experience (Bob Dylan)
Song: nine votes – Jimi Hendrix (3); Bear McCreary (2); Dave Matthews Band (2); U2 (1); Neil Young & Booker T. and the MGs (1)
Cover artist: eight votes – Hey Joe (4); All Along the Watchtower (3); The Star Spangled Banner (1)
Original artist: 53 votes – All Along the Watchtower (9); Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door (4); Make You Feel My Love (2); I Shall Be Released (2); You’re Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go (1); Masters of War (1); It Ain’t Me Babe (1); One More Cup of Coffee (1); My Back Pages (1); When I Paint My Masterpiece (1); Tryin’ to Get to Heaven (1); You Got to Serve Somebody (1); Heart of Mine (1); Blowin’ in the Wind (1); Buckets of Rain (1); Girl from the North Country (1); You’re a Big Girl Now (1); A Hard Rain’s A-Gonna Fall (1); This Wheel’s on Fire (1); Mr. Tambourine Man (1); If Not for You (1); Simple Twist of Fate (1); Subterranean Homesick Blues (1); It's All Over Now, Baby Blue (1); Standing in the Doorway (1); Positively Fourth Street (1); Thunder on the Mountain (1); Most of the Time (1); Stuck Inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again (1); Jokerman (1); Ring Them Bells (1); Hurricane (1); The Man in Me (1); Forever Young (1); Sweetheart Like You (1); Everything Is Broken (1); Don’t Think Twice, It’s Alright (1); Ballad of a Thin Man (1); If You See Her, Say Hello (1); Mozambique (1)

Galileo:

Gallows Pole - Led Zeppelin (Traditional, but an early known recording from Bentley Ball)
Song: two votes – Led Zeppelin (1); Page/Plant (1)
Cover artist: five votes – When the Levee Breaks (2); Gallows Pole (1); Traveling Riverside Blues (1); Dazed and Confused (1); Babe I’m Gonna Leave You (1)
Original artist: N/A

Don Quixote:

Dirty Old Town - The Pogues (Ewan MacColl)
Song: two votes – The Pogues (2)
Cover artist: two votes – Dirty Old Town (2)
Original artist: two votes – Dirty Old Town (2)

simsarge:

Stairway to Heaven - Heart (Led Zeppelin)
Cover artist: two votes – Stairway to Heaven (1); Alone (1)
Original artist: five votes – Stairway to Heaven (1); Whole Lotta Love (1); Ramble On (1); Going to California (1); Kashmir (1)

Charlie Steiner:

City of New Orleans - The Seldom Scene (Steve Goodman)
Cover artist: two votes – City of New Orleans (1); Everybody’s Talkin’ (1)

JMLs secret identity:

Tropical Loveland - The Chills (Abba) NOT ON PLAYLIST
Original artist: 27 votes – Tropical Loveland (1); Arrival (1); Like an Angel Passing through My Room (1); Chiquitita (1); Thank You for the Music (1); Hey Hey Helen (1); I Have a Dream (1); The Winner Takes It All (1); The Day Before You Came (1); Hasta Manana (1); Thank Abba for the Music Medley (1); Summer Night City (1); Eagle (1); Bang en Boomerang (1); Dancing Queen (1); Super Trouper (1); Knowing Me, Knowing You (1); Mamma Mia (1); The Name of the Game (1); Ring Ring (1); Rock Me (1); Does Your Mother Know (1); Angel Eyes (1); Our Last Summer (1); When All Is Said and Done (1); Waterloo (1); Voulez Vous (1)

zamboni:

I'm a Man - Chicago (The Spencer Davis Group)
Song: three votes – Chicago (2)
Cover artist: three votes - I'm a Man (3)
Original artist: three votes - I'm a Man (3)

John Maddens Lunchbox:

Hooked on a Feeling - Blue Swede (B.J. Thomas)
Song: two votes – Blue Swede (2)
Cover artist: two votes – Hooked on a Feeling (2)
Original artist: two votes – Hooked on a Feeling (2)

Ilov80s:

I Will Always Love You - Whitney Houston (Dolly Parton)
Original artist: five votes – Jolene (4); I Will Always Love You (1)

Eephus:

Bad Time - The Jayhawks (Grand Funk Railroad)

The Dreaded Marco:

Ceremony - Galaxie 500 (New Order)
Original artist: two votes – Ceremony (1); Love Vigilantes (1)

New Binky the Doormat:

Venus – Bananarama (Shocking Blue)
Song: two votes – Bananarama (2)
Cover artist: three votes – Venus (2); Waterloo (1)
Original artist: three votes – Venus (2); Love Buzz (1)

Andy Dufresne:

Back in the High Life Again – Warren Zevon (Steve Winwood)
Cover artist: two votes – Back in the High Life Again (1); Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door (1)

Last edited:
Twenty-Eight-Point Selections:
PART TWO:

Hawks64:

Sledgehammer - Dave Matthews Band (Peter Gabriel)
Cover artist: 19 votes – All Along the Watchtower (2); Sledgehammer (1); Rye Whiskey (1); Waste (1); Cortez the Killer (1); The Maker (1); Long Black Veil (1); Exodus (1); Down by the River (1); Take Me to Tomorrow (1); Time of the Season (1); Still Water (1); Melissa (1); Super Freak (1); Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin) (1); Burning Down the House (1); Kashmir (1); In My Life (1)
Original artist: four votes – Sledgehammer (1); Come Talk to Me (1); Mercy Street (1); Games without Frontiers (1)

rockaction:

I Wanna Holler (But the Town’s Too Small) – Detroit Cobras (Gary “U.S.” Bonds)
Cover artist: two votes – I Wanna Holler (But the Town’s Too Small) (1); Bad Girl (1)

Scoresman:

Song: two votes - Jose Gonzalez (2)
Cover artist: three votes – Heartbeats (2); Teardrop (1)
Original artist: two votes – Heartbeats (2)

Raging weasel:

Planet Caravan – Pantera (Black Sabbath)
Original artist: seven votes – Changes (3); Planet Caravan (1); Snowblind (1); Paranoid (1); a medley for which I’m not going to parse out all the songs (1)

scorchy:

The Promise - Sturgill Simpson (When In Rome)
Song: four votes – Sturgill Simpson (3); New Found Glory (1)
Cover artist: four votes – The Promise (3); In Bloom (1)
Original artist: four votes – The Promise (4)

Mrs. Rannous:

Chain of Fools - Clint Black and The Pointer Sisters (Aretha Franklin)
Cover artist: first vote each

Mt. Man:

Where Did You Sleep Last Night? - Nirvana (Traditional)
Song: three votes – Nirvana (3)
Cover artist: seven votes – Where Did You Sleep Last Night (3); The Man Who Sold the World (2); D-7 (1); Love Buzz (1)

Mister CIA:

So Long, Marianne - Courtney Barnett (Leonard Cohen)
Original artist: six votes – Hallelujah (4); So Long, Marianne (1); Chelsea Hotel No. 2 (1)

Val Rannous:

The House of the Rising Sun - The Animals (Traditional)
Song: two votes – The Animals (2)
Cover artist: two votes – The House of the Rising Sun (2)

landrys hat:

Milk Cow Blues - The Kinks (Sleepy John Estes)

shuke:

Also Sprach Zarathustra - Phish (Deodato)
Cover artist: 10 votes – Also Sprach Zarathustra (1); Cities (1); Boogie on Reggae Woman (1); Funky Bitch (1); Loving Cup (1); Crosseyed and Painless (1); I Am the Walrus (1); Sneakin’ Sally through the Alley (1); My Soul (1); Frankenstein (1)

Doug B:

America The Beautiful - Ray Charles (Traditional)
Cover artist: four votes – Georgia on My Mind (2); America the Beautiful (1); Take These Chains from My Heart (1)

DrIanMalcolm:

Hey Jude - Wilson Pickett (The Beatles)
Original artist: 32 votes – We Can Work It Out (4); While My Guitar Gently Weeps (3); In My Life (3); Here Comes the Sun (2); Yesterday (2); Come Together (2); Hey Jude (1); And I Love Her (1); Everybody’s Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey (1); A Day in the Life (1); Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight (1); She Came in through the Bathroom Window (1); I Am the Walrus (1); Eleanor Rigby (1); Got to Get You into My Life (1); Helter Skelter (1); Drive My Car (1); Dear Prudence (1); Across the Universe (1); She Said She Said (1); I Want You (She’s So Heavy) (1); Let It Be (1)

Chaos34:

I Fought The Law - The Clash (The Crickets)
Song: four votes – The Clash (4)
Cover artist: four votes - I Fought the Law (4)
Original artist: four votes - I Fought the Law (4)

higgins:

Into the Mystic - Michael McDonald (Van Morrison)
Cover artist: four votes – Angel from Montgomery (2); Not the Only One (1); Standing in the Doorway (1)

Oliver Humanzee:

Everybody’s Talkin’ - Bill Withers (Fred Neil)
Song: three votes – Bill Withers (2); The Seldom Scene (1)
Cover artist: two votes – Everybody’s Talkin’ (2)
Original artist: three votes – Everybody’s Talkin’ (3)

krista4:

While My Guitar Gently Weeps – Prince et al. (The Beatles)
Song: three votes – buncha dudes (3)
Cover artist: three votes for each (all for this song) except Petty; Petty – five votes – While My Guitar Gently Weeps (3); Oh Well (1); Mystic Eyes (1)
Original artist: 32 votes – We Can Work It Out (4); While My Guitar Gently Weeps (3); In My Life (3); Here Comes the Sun (2); Yesterday (2); Come Together (2); Hey Jude (1); And I Love Her (1); Everybody’s Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey (1); A Day in the Life (1); Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight (1); She Came in through the Bathroom Window (1); I Am the Walrus (1); Eleanor Rigby (1); Got to Get You into My Life (1); Helter Skelter (1); Drive My Car (1); Dear Prudence (1); Across the Universe (1); She Said She Said (1); I Want You (She’s So Heavy) (1); Let It Be (1)

Last edited:
Uruk-Hai:

Blue Skies - Willie Nelson (Ben Selvin)
Cover artist: three votes – Blue Skies (1); Just Breathe (1); Whiskey River (1)
Convincing me that Willie Nelson isn't the best cover artist in recorded music history would take some doing. The sheer volume and quality of those songs is amazing.

This one was a standard long before Willie covered it, but I will always think of it as a Willie Nelson Song.

Covers from #4 that I know and like and haven't previously discussed in this thread:

Blue Skies - Willie Nelson (Ben Selvin) -- So peacefully beautiful.
Streets of Baltimore – Gram Parsons (Bobby Bare) -- I had no idea this was a cover. As with everything Parsons did, this is highly emotional.
Gallows Pole - Led Zeppelin (Traditional, but an early known recording from Bentley Ball) -- As I said when the Page/Plant version was posted, this is one of my favorite Zeppelin songs and the buildup to the climax at the end is stunning.
Stairway to Heaven - Heart (Led Zeppelin) -- Ann Wilson absolutely kills it.
City of New Orleans - The Seldom Scene (Arlo Guthrie) -- I think we got this in their MAD countdown.
I Will Always Love You - Whitney Houston (Dolly Parton) -- As with Alone, I like this for the vocal and not the music. And indeed I am surprised this hadn't shown up yet.
Back in the High Life Again – Warren Zevon (Steve Winwood) -- Compelling.
Also Sprach Zarathustra - Phish (Deodato) -- This is always impressively freaky in concert, and part of the fun is trying to figure out what it is going to segue into.
America The Beautiful - Ray Charles (Traditional) -- Another stunner that I am surprised not to have seen earlier.
Hey Jude - Wilson Pickett (The Beatles) -- Ditto.

krista4:

While My Guitar Gently Weeps – Prince et al. (The Beatles)
Song: three votes – buncha dudes (3)
Cover artist: three votes for each (all for this song) except Petty; Petty – five votes – While My Guitar Gently Weeps (3); Oh Well (1); Mystic Eyes (1)
Jeff Lynne dog

Pip’s Invitation:

Ohio/Machine Gun – The Isley Brothers (CSNY/Jimi Hendrix and the Band of Gypsys)

This is a work of art. The Isleys take the war/guns/violence theme of both songs and blend them into something that enhances the sounds and ideas of both while also ending up radically different from them. The vibe is overwhelming and anguished, by design, propelled as always by Ronnie Isley's impassioned lead vocals. The incredible guitar work throughout the track is by Ronnie, Rudy and Kelly Isley's younger brother Ernie, who would become an official member of the band two years later (along with bassist brother Marvin and keyboardist cousin Chris Jasper, who also appear here). Despite its depressing theme, this track is a triumphant achievement in every way.

The Ohio/Machine Gun medley kicks off the Isley's 1971 album Givin' It Back, whose theme was, since they had so many songs that were made famous when covered by white artists, they would in turn cover (mostly) white artists who were some of the preeminent songwriters of the time. And it is indeed a murderers' row of such: Neil Young, Jimi Hendrix, James Taylor, Bob Dylan, Eric Burdon and War, Stephen Stills and Bill Withers. The entire album is a forgotten gem.

This is my highest-ranking song that I "own". My last three songs have shown up multiple times already. "Chalk", if you will.

I ranked Ohio #4 in my Neil countdown. What I said there:

Neil lives and creates in the moment, and nowhere is that better illustrated than this song, which was my other first exposure to him, also being included on the So Far compilation that my parents had. Neil decided to pen a song about the shooting deaths of four Kent State University student protesters by National Guard troops when David Crosby visited to show him a copy of Life magazine, which had photos of the incident. Stunned, he wrote the lyrics within minutes of first seeing the photos. Equally stunned, Crosby called Stephen Stills and Graham Nash and suggested they get to the studio as soon as possible. The quartet convened shortly thereafter and, with new bassist Calvin "Fuzzy" Samuels and new drummer John Barbata, required only a few takes to get the version we all know. Crosby was so overcome during the performance that he bellowed "Four!", "how many more?" and "Why?" at the end; these outbursts were unrehearsed and left on the recording. For a B-side, the band then recorded Stills' Find the Cost of Freedom, an ode to war casualties that he had unsuccessfully submitted for the Easy Rider soundtrack.

At the band's insistence, Atlantic Records rush-produced and rush-released the single, which was made available within weeks after recording, despite CSNY already having Teach Your Children climbing the charts. The band members believe this decision prevented Teach Your Children from reaching #1, but that it was absolutely the right thing to do.

The passion and anger that sparked Neil to write the song can be heard in every second of the recording. If you like immediacy and emotion in your rock and roll, this is the song for you. It never fails to move me deeply.

I was fortunate to see Neil play this with CSNY in 2000 and 2006, and surprisingly saw CSN do it as an encore without Neil in 1995.

Machine Gun is one of my favorite Hendrix songs and I have drafted it in the past.

Ohio original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1PrUU2S_iw
Machine Gun original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lw2L_vGUMtE

At #3, a popular cover on FM rock stations that you have seen me wax on about before.

titusbramble:

The Man Who Sold The World - Nirvana (David Bowie)
Song: two votes – Nirvana (2)
Original artist: five votes – The Man Who Sold the World (2); Ziggy Stardust (2); Queen Bitch (1)
Which Nirvana cover wins? We may see a few times in the top 3
Val Rannous:

The House of the Rising Sun - The Animals (Traditional)
Song: two votes – The Animals (2)
Cover artist: two votes – The House of the Rising Sun (2)
Well **** me.
A) How did i not notice this the first time and
B) Traditional? Wow.
Mt. Man:

Where Did You Sleep Last Night? - Nirvana (Traditional)
Song: three votes – Nirvana (3)
Which Nirvana cover wins? We may see a few times in the top 3

Users who are viewing this thread