What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The middle-aged dummies are forming a band called "Blanket"! It's a cover band. (1 Viewer)

I had no idea for a long time that Croce was a Philly guy. Born in South Philly, mainly grew up in nearby Upper Darby, PA (which is also the home of Todd Rundgren and Tina Fey). Philly media never says anything about him being one of the city's own.

'Cause all the men just called him sir.

Never loses the groove, though.

It wasn't possible for Aretha to lose the groove. The groove would lose her first if anything.

8 Points - I Don’t Want to Talk About It - Rod Stewart with help from Amy Belle (Crazy Horse)
Original

Might be best to get any expert opinion on Danny Whitten, the songwriter here from @Pip's Invitation . He has already said a bit, but Im sure theres lots more to say. Crazy Horse did a great original here, but it found its true legs when Rod Stewart and others covered it.

Cover

The version I chose here is one of about 10 recorded by Rod Stewart. This one features Amy Belle singing the chorus. The original version appeared on 1975s Atlantic Crossing. It was released as a single two years after and regularly after that. It is the single that stopped God Save the Queen from topping the British charts on the Queens silver Jubilee. It was released as a cut price single to help propel it to #1 and avoid an embarrassing incident. In reality, God Save the Queen outsold it by truckloads. Chart manipulation helped see to it making #2 instead. That said, this song has resonated for decades in the UK. As a football chant, an emotion packed song or in its covers by other artists such as Everything But the Girl who took it to #3. I prefer the Stewart version. He is such an excellent interpreter of others songs. Other opinions are available lol

8 Points - Rock Me - Brendon (Abba)
Original

The beautiful Bjorn steps out again to sing this song, predating Does Your Mother Know. It was originally the B Side to I Do I Do I Do etc, but in Australia and New Zealand also released as the A Side a year later making #4 and #2 respectively.

Cover

Brendon was a Mark Bolan (T-Rex) wannabe who had a #14 hit with Gimme Some in 1977 on the UK Charts. That was a cover of a song by Jimmy “Bo” Horne. To follow it up the Abba song Rock Me was chosen. It flopped and failed to chart. Bye bye Brendon. In exciting news Brendon released new albums of original material in 2009 to 2020. The world was not impressed.

Pip’s Invitation:

Rockin' in the Free World – Pearl Jam (Neil Young)

So yeah, I have Neil covers on my list. This is the least surprising reveal of the whole countdown. But here's the thing. There are a squillion covers of Neil songs by guitar-driven rock bands. Many of them are good to great. Not a huge surprise because, aside from some of his solos, most of Neil's songs are easy to play. But no one plays like Neil, so as much as I admire some of these covers, in the end, I'd rather just hear Neil play the song himself.

Therefore, I decided to limit myself to one Neil cover by a guitar-driven rock band. The other Neil covers on my list are from artists in other genres or from those who perform the song in a way that Neil would never dream of doing so himself. And to represent this massive sub-subgenre of cover songs, I chose Pearl Jam's version of Rockin' in the Free World. The original was #2 in my Neil countdown and you can read a very long dissertation on it here.

Pearl Jam has performed Rockin' in the Free World in concert almost from the start of its career. It was featured in their MTV Unplugged set and its most iconic performance was at the 1993 MTV Music Awards with Neil himself (of course this version is not on Spotify). This is the same show where Guns 'N Roses performed November Rain with Elton John and Nirvana bassist Chris Novoselic brained himself with his own instrument after their performance of Lithium -- a few hours after Axl Rose and Kurt Cobain had a backstage tiff that almost came to blows. Every time they perform this song, PJ gives it their absolute all. It is passionate and energetic rock and roll at its best. One of my favorite concert moments in a personal history of squillions of concerts was seeing Pearl Jam perform this on July 5, 2003* at the Camden, NJ ampitheater whose name has changed more often than Axl changed his mind during the Chinese Democracy sessions. The venue sits on the Delaware River across from Philadelphia, and that night there was a fireworks show in Philly that could be heard and partially seen from the venue (I was on the lawn so I had a good view of the display). The performance of Rockin' in the Free World, 12th in a show that would go on to have 27 songs, fell during much of the fireworks show and it seemed like the band was increasing the intensity to match that of the fireworks. After the song came to its triumphant conclusion, the band dawdled and looked at each other awkwardly, unsure of how they were going to be able to top that. Finally Eddie Vedder addressed the crowd: "Uh, good night?"

I also picked this cover because it represents as well as anything the rebirth of Neil as The Godfather of Grunge in the '90s. Neil was an eccentric footnote for most of the '80s as he genre-hopped and trolled his record company. In 1989, with the Freedom album, Neil became himself again, and closed the record with Rockin' in the Free World, which stands with his very best hard rockers from the '60s and '70s. The following year, he put out Ragged Glory, an entire album of hard rock in his patented sound with Crazy Horse. Both records were warmly embraced not only by the public, but also by a new generation of musicians in Seattle and elsewhere who were looking for something more forthright (and loud) than the brands of rock that were popular in the '80s. Neil was a hero to these performers, and his renewed success was evidence to them that you could succeed if you rocked out the way you wanted to. That the song that keyed his revival was regularly covered by one of this generation's biggest acts was a perfect encapsulation of the thrill of the early '90s.

Original version (electric): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvxxdZpMFHg

Original version (acoustic): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3q751WgE2RI

At #23, a cover whose studio version is pop perfection but whose live versions rock almost as hard as, well, Neil.

* - The setlist for the above-mentioned show was:

Can't Keep, Brain of J, Save You, Do the Evolution, Spin the Black Circle, Green Disease, Cropduster, Given to Fly, Even Flow, Faithfull, Wishlist, Rockin' in the Free World, 1/2 Full, Love Boat Captain, Breath, I Believe in Miracles, Corduroy, Rearviewmirror
Encore 1: Last Exit, Better Man, Down, Black, Blood
Encore 2: You've Got to Hide Your Love Away, Last Kiss, Baba O' Riley
Encore 3: Yellow Ledbetter

8 Points - I Don’t Want to Talk About It - Rod Stewart with help from Amy Belle (Crazy Horse)
Original

Might be best to get any expert opinion on Danny Whitten, the songwriter here from @Pip's Invitation . He has already said a bit, but Im sure theres lots more to say. Crazy Horse did a great original here, but it found its true legs when Rod Stewart and others covered it.

Cover

The version I chose here is one of about 10 recorded by Rod Stewart. This one features Amy Belle singing the chorus. The original version appeared on 1975s Atlantic Crossing. It was released as a single two years after and regularly after that. It is the single that stopped God Save the Queen from topping the British charts on the Queens silver Jubilee. It was released as a cut price single to help propel it to #1 and avoid an embarrassing incident. In reality, God Save the Queen outsold it by truckloads. Chart manipulation helped see to it making #2 instead. That said, this song has resonated for decades in the UK. As a football chant, an emotion packed song or in its covers by other artists such as Everything But the Girl who took it to #3. I prefer the Stewart version. He is such an excellent interpreter of others songs. Other opinions are available lol

A different version of this song was a late drop from my shortlist.

I've probably posted this before but it's been a while. My memory of this song is from a show Pearl Jam played at Golden Gate Park in 1995. I wasn't there because toddler ditkaburgers and I were at a playground at least 3 miles from the park. We were downwind from the concert and I could clearly make out the strains of "Rockin in the Free World" in the distance. When we got home I discovered Eddie had to leave the stage early and Neil stepped in to play the rest of the show.

Did you get your tooth taken care of?

Yeah, I did, simey. Thanks. It went back down on its own. I still have to get it looked at to make sure it doesn't linger or anything. It's weird. I've never had an abscess just sort of go away on its own, so I'm making an appt. to get it looked at to make sure it doesn't go . . .

TO MY BRAIN!

BRAINS FOR DINNER! BRAINS FOR LUNCH! BRAINS FOR BREAKFAST! BRAINS FOR BRUNCH! BRAINS AT EVERY STINKING MEAL WHY CAN'T WE HAVE SOME GUTS?

Misfits joke there. I'm still going to get it looked at.

I've probably posted this before but it's been a while. My memory of this song is from a show Pearl Jam played at Golden Gate Park in 1995. I wasn't there because toddler ditkaburgers and I were at a playground at least 3 miles from the park. We were downwind from the concert and I could clearly make out the strains of "Rockin in the Free World" in the distance. When we got home I discovered Eddie had to leave the stage early and Neil stepped in to play the rest of the show.

I keep trying to come up with something appropriate to say and can't really do it succinctly. I'll just say that it's a cool story and leave it at that. Very cool.

#24 Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding - Dream Theater/Elton John
Original - Spotify; Youtube

I can't imagine that I really need to link Elton John's version. Particularly after it was the 2nd most popular selection (by total "points") in a previous M-AD countdown. On the other hand, for some of you, it'll be an excuse to listen to the original again, and that's likely to the good.

Anyway, I'll be as surprised if this gets... mixed response as much as I was that I was the first one to select it. Which is to say, not surprised at all. Leave it to say that I really like the band and I really like the cover. Naturally, Dream Theater puts their own spin on this, with (IMHO) a lot of respect towards the original.

This one is also one of small handful of live recordings on my list. This one comes off the Change of Seasons "EP" (5 songs, 57:30 minutes with the title track going a bit over 23 of that), along with a cover of "Perfect Strangers" and a pair of medleys. It's also somewhat shorter than the original, though that's mostly from trimming the intro a bit, and 11:09 to 10:49 isn't a long step down. Whatever the case, hope you enjoy it!

At #23 we have the first (but by no means last) song I can't "own", as it's already been selected. C'est la vie.

I would probably have considered US3's Cantaloop if I realised it was a cover or had heard it at some point recently, it's in my playlist but I've not actively played it for quite some time

Edit - hmm, no wonder I didn't realise it to be a cover. For my money that's just extensive sample abuse and a completely different track. Each to their own, but if you want to push the boundaries to that extent my list might have been significantly different

Last edited:
Wow. Just diving into some songs and had a strong memory. I just remember my first year of law school and the summer that came after. Met my friend Jen and enjoyed a whirlwind indie friendship. Driving every day to summer classes with a different disc taking precedence.

Will never forget the tree-lined, beer-infused hungover drive to the song "Skull" by Sebadoh. Pulling down the street to the back entrance to the school off of the main roads of W. Hartford. Never quite integrated there, as it were. But a blast from Amherst made it better in between lawyering nonsense. I also loved "**** Soup," which I was eating of ton of those days.

There is history in this place
And there are dragons to be chased

And I don't know who you are
But I know what I'd like you to be
A one-night stand under stoned persuasion

Gently take my skull for a ride
Take and shake your soul
Never lose control
Gently your skull for a ride

The "Pink Moon" cover is interesting. A little rockin', a little dissonant. Contrast that with the original's plaintive beauty. Nick Drake is something else, huh?

The 7 pointers

Known and like

It's My Life ( didn't know it's a cover)
While My Guitar Gently Weeps( if I was doing my actual favorite covers this would be top 10)
Knockin on Heaven's Door
Walk This Way
Yesterday
Mrs Robinson
Turn,Turn,Turn

Liked covers of known songs

Epic( this really WAS Epic!)
Frankenstein
Light Up the Sky

New to me likes

The Man in Me
I'll Take Care of You( this is probably my top new fav so far, love this!)
Tam Lin ( sounded like San Fran summer of love,shocked that when I looked them up they were British)
Ain't no love in the Heart of the City( probably my second place new fav, so good!)
Box Elder

Random thoughts on a few...

- The Animals Medley by David Johansen is good, but like the Phish Medley in an earlier round, it makes me want to hear the entirety of the songs. I especially wanted to hear the whole version of "We Gotta Get Out of This Place." He was nailing that song. I still enjoyed the medley.
- I love Ace's cover of "New York Groove."
- The Donnas are driving their cover of "Drive My Car" right down Girls Can Rock Too Avenue. Beep Beep, Beep Beep Yeah!
- I think this cover of "Personal Jesus" by Def Leppard is pretty gosh darn good. I wonder which version Jesus likes best.
- This live cover of "Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding" by Dream Theater is killa. I hope a lot their fans at the show knew the song, and were excited to hear it.
- "Killing Me Softly With His Song" is a fantastic cover. I'll always favor Roberta's version cause it has the third verse and I've loved it forever, but the Fugees made it their own, and Lauryn sounds great.
- "Dead Flowers" fits Townes like a glove.
- Siouxsie and the Banshees cover of "Dear Prudence" dabbles a bit in psychedelia. I like it.
- Al Di Meola's instrumental cover of "Mercy Street" sounds so tranquil. 🧘‍♀️ Archie will love it in his meditation room.
- Jawbox has turned "I've Got You Under My Skin" into a totally different sounding song and it's good.
- "Every 1's A Winner" was in the last 5 out, and "Epic" was in the last round (I think), and I just wanted to repeat that I love both covers.
- I like the back and forth female and male vocals on the cover of "Farewell Transmission."
- I kinda like this version of "Oops!...I Did It Again" better than Britney's original.
- Ray's version of "Georgia On My Mind" will always be THE version of the song to me. There are a lot of pine trees here in NC, and I can't tell you how many times I've been somewhere in these parts and looked up at the moon traveling through the pines, and heard Ray's voice in my mind singing "a song of you...comes as sweet and clear, as moonlight through the pines."

8 pts -- Mercy Street - Al DiMeola (Peter Gabriel)

In everyone's FBG profile, you've got the option of including your location. Years ago, I chose my location to be Mercy Street -- no reason, simply chose it randomly.

wikkid PMed years ago asking me for the rationale behind it. When I replied that there was no reason, he explained that the song had significance for him and "his Mary". I never asked him to elaborate (assuming it to be personal) but I hope DiMeola's delicate/masterful touch would do wikkid proud. : poursout40:

Last edited:
Speaking of David Johansen, the Midnight Special episode I put on tonight includes the New York Dolls.

Hosted by War, also including Bachman-Turner Overdrive, Mott the Hoople and Climax Blues Band.

New-to-me covers from #24 that I enjoyed very much:

Hurricane – Ani DiFranco (Robert Zimmerman) -- I never cared much for Ani in the '90s and '00s, but some of that was because her fanbase was a little much. But this cover is spectacular. It makes one of Bob Dylan's most political songs danceable but never loses the intensity that the story conveys.
St. James Infirmary – Bobby “Blue” Bland (Louis Armstrong) -- Powerful.
Purple Rain - Adam Levine and Train (Prince) -- Adam Levine is talented and it shows when it is directed properly. On this faithful and heartfelt cover, it is.
We Must Be in Love - The Impressions (The Five Stairsteps & Cubie) -- Yes, it's Curtis Mayfield doing his own song, but it's still Curtis Mayfield.
Gimme Three Steps - Disco Biscuits (Lynyrd Skynyrd) -- Delightfully off-kilter.
Style - Ryan Adams (Taylor Swift) -- A gripping reinterpretation that makes you appreciate both songwriter and performer.
Drive My Car – The Donnas (The Beatles) -- Revved up into overdrive.
Personal Jesus - Def Leppard (Depeche Mode) -- I did not expect this to exist and I did not expect it to be good. One of the most surprising things we have seen so far.
Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding - Dream Theater (Elton John) -- Not easy to pull off, but they did. I picked the original in the British Isles countdown.
Blue Monday - Orgy (Joy Division) -- Another that doesn't totally ape the original but leaves its best qualities intact.
Mercy Street - Al DiMeola (Peter Gabriel) -- Blissful.
I've Got You Under My Skin - Jawbox (Frank Sinatra) -- I was captivated the entire time. One of the most radical revamps we've heard, and one of the most successful.

My favorites from the latest round...

Songs That I Knew the Cover and the Original
Mister CIA: Dead Flowers - Townes Van Zandt (Rolling Stones)
landrys hat: Dear Prudence - Siouxsie and the Banshees (The Beatles) - could easily have fit in my "simey heard this at Visage" category.
shuke: Gin and Juice - The Gourds (Snoop Dogg) - a classic from the early days of the internet.
Doug B: We Can Work It Out - Stevie Wonder (The Beatles)
DrIanMalcolm: Killing Me Softly - The Fugees (Roberta Flack) - close to perfect.
Andy Dufresne: Get It On, Bang A Gong – Power Station (T-Rex) - This came out around the same time we staged fake wrestling matches in my backyard for kids in the neighborhood (complete with referees, fake blood, suplexes, and boston crabs). For some reason, I chose this as my walkup music.

Songs That I Only Know the Original but Really Enjoyed the Cover
zamboni: We Gotta Get Out Of This Place/Don't Bring Me Down/It's My Life - David Johansen (The Animals)
Oliver Humanzee: I've Got You Under My Skin - Jawbox (Frank Sinatra) - I really like both Jawbox and Jawbreaker but still get them both confused. Jawbox is the sludgy one and I love this take.

Song I Like That I Only Know the Cover but not the Original
Charlie Steiner: Cantaloop (Flip Fantasia) - Us3 (Herbie Hancock) - The DJ always played this at Acid Jazz night in college. Still not sure what Acid Jazz really is, but it definitely had its moment.
krista4: Georgia on my Mind – Ray Charles (Hoagy Carmichael) - I should create a separate category for picks like this that are totally unimpeachable.

Songs I Like That I Didn't Know Either Version
Eephus: Every 1's a Winner - Ty Segall (Hot Chocolate) - My favorite of the round.
rockaction: New York Groove – Ace Frehley (Hello) - Not sure what I expected, but it definitely wasn't this. It's almost power pop.

Already “Covered” in an Earlier Post
titusbramble: Always On My Mind - Pet Shop Boys (Gwen McCrae)
Val Rannous: I Heard It Through the Grapevine - Creedence Clearwater Revival (Gladys Night and the Pips)

Last edited:
Happenings Ten Years Time Ago - Todd Rundgren (The Yardbirds) -- The first side of Todd's 1976 album Faithful is, you guessed it, faithful covers of songs from 10 years before. Not sure why he did this, nor why he paired the side with a side of originals, some of which are among his very best. But this cover, which kicks off the album, is probably the best of the bunch.
Because he's Todd :lol:

rockaction: New York Groove – Ace Frehley (Hello)
:jawdrop:
Honestly flummoxed that you're flummoxed. Was this really famous or something? Which one - the original or the cover?
The cover was a huge radio hit. I didn't know it was a cover at the time and had/have no idea who Hello was.
In the past few years, it's also become the post-game song after the New York Mets win at home, although only locals would obviously be aware of that usage.

The cover was a huge radio hit. I didn't know it was a cover at the time and had/have no idea who Hello was.
Yeah, just looked it up and see it hit #13 in October of 1978. I had just turned 6 and was still at the mercy of my parents when it came to the radio. I'm not sure it had a long enough shelf life to still get played when I finally got my own boom box a few years later.

Yeah, just looked it up and see it hit #13 in October of 1978. I had just turned 6 and was still at the mercy of my parents when it came to the radio. I'm not sure it had a long enough shelf life to still get played when I finally got my own boom box a few years later.
It kind of dropped out of public awareness for most of the 80 & 90s, but made a comeback this century.

Honestly flummoxed that you're flummoxed. Was this really famous or something? Which one - the original or the cover?
In the past few years, it's also become the post-game song after the New York Mets win at home, although only locals would obviously be aware of that usage.
So, it still doesn't get played much?

(runs before zam kills me)

Ex-Kiss fans would probably know it the best, as it came out when all the band members put out solo albums simultaneously. Ace’s album was - and still is - renowned as the best of the bunch and this was the only hit among the four albums. I’m only a few years older than you, but as mentioned before, I was a big Kiss fan as a kid so this song is etched in my memory.

So, it still doesn't get played much?

(runs before zam kills me)
Preaching to the choir as a Yankees fan 🙂

No one reads my posts.

Huge fan of this song.

Also featured in this commercial which I only remember because I am in love with the actress.

The 8 pointers

Known and liked covers

Rocking in the Free World
Cantaloop- didn't know I knew it until I heard it,maybe from a video game or movie?
I Don't want to talk about It
Every 1's a Winner
Get It On
New York Groove
Oops, I did it Again
Heard it through the Grapevine
Dear Prudence
Killing Me Softly
Georgia on my Mind

Liked covers of known songs

Hurricane
Not Fade Away