What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The middle-aged dummies are forming a band called "Blanket"! It's a cover band. (1 Viewer)

Did you notice what song is back? She's so popular...

I was going to click on the song so I could hear Win Butler singing she's so hot to me (which is what I always substitute in for the actual lyrics), but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

I'm putting together tomorrow's list, and I see that someone picked a song with a particular original artist listed. I looked to see who others had, and there are no fewer than three different "original artists" listed. Research will be required. :lol:

If you have your song's original artist changed tomorrow, this is you.
Mine is in a genre where the provenance of songs is often unknown or disputed, so if this is me, sorry for being lazy.

Thanks. See later post, though - like many, this one was understandably difficult.
Umm, oops. It might be me as well - when you mentioned this, I looked to see who I picked this round. Sure enough, I also "lazied" the research, and just put up who I thought was the original recording artist without doing any real research, and wasn't even close. Wikipedia lists it as Traditional, and the artist I listed as the original is at least 5th in line to record it, and might be further down the food chain...

Actually, yours was the third I found that might need correcting! Not the two I mentioned above. No worries about any of it. And there could be more that I haven't vetted - I only look at those where I have some thought it might need vetting, but there are undoubtedly more.
Which song had 3 different original artists?

28. Mad World - Gary Jules & Michael Andrews (Tears For Fears)

I'm going to keep this relatively short. I don't expect a lot of commentary or mentions on this pick, because I "suspect" that this will show up higher (to much, much higher) on other lists. For that, it's difficult to say that I have 27 songs that are stronger than this one. More that this, somewhat similar to Torn, has lost some of its luster between the time it came out and now. That said, I'm willing to give up "ownership" of this to someone else who has it, say, in their top 10.

Self Esteem - K. Flay (The Offspring)

K. Flay's voice is definitely an acquired taste, but one I ultimately fell for after hearing her single Blood in the Cut while binging the ridiculous TNT show Animal Kingdom.* A few years later, she did a covers EP that was pretty dang interesting (no spotlights, just in case). I especially love how she turned Self Esteem from a bro-ish goof into a quiet lesbian torch song. Again, if you can get past the vocal affect.

* Don't judge. It was a treadmill show. Ellen Barkin totally chews the scenery and there's lots of gratuitous flesh. Equal opportunity on the last part too - Mrs. Scorchy sometimes came down and watched with me because the dudes were just as smokin' and just as naked as the ladies (or at least as naked as cable would allow).

28. Mad World - Gary Jules & Michael Andrews (Tears For Fears)

I'm going to keep this relatively short. I don't expect a lot of commentary or mentions on this pick, because I "suspect" that this will show up higher (to much, much higher) on other lists. For that, it's difficult to say that I have 27 songs that are stronger than this one. More that this, somewhat similar to Torn, has lost some of its luster between the time it came out and now. That said, I'm willing to give up "ownership" of this to someone else who has it, say, in their top 10.
Once again one of yours may or may not appear on another unnamed persons list.
That makes 3 so far from others that may or may not make a certain handsome strangers list.

Preview of my next 2.
The Abba one - As I have mentioned for now we are treading water, but at least they are gonna start getting more interesting.
This band specialized in Abba covers. The song chosen is a non single

The other one - Is one of the most well known songs of all time.
Do people even know its a cover?
Or that it was passed from pillar to,post by a whos who of musical and hollywood talent before they rearranged it and made it their own. Like a lot of their material.

I'm putting together tomorrow's list, and I see that someone picked a song with a particular original artist listed. I looked to see who others had, and there are no fewer than three different "original artists" listed. Research will be required. :lol:

If you have your song's original artist changed tomorrow, this is you.
Mine is in a genre where the provenance of songs is often unknown or disputed, so if this is me, sorry for being lazy.

Thanks. See later post, though - like many, this one was understandably difficult.
Umm, oops. It might be me as well - when you mentioned this, I looked to see who I picked this round. Sure enough, I also "lazied" the research, and just put up who I thought was the original recording artist without doing any real research, and wasn't even close. Wikipedia lists it as Traditional, and the artist I listed as the original is at least 5th in line to record it, and might be further down the food chain...

Actually, yours was the third I found that might need correcting! Not the two I mentioned above. No worries about any of it. And there could be more that I haven't vetted - I only look at those where I have some thought it might need vetting, but there are undoubtedly more.
I know I have listed a different original artist for one cover already listed, but that is a sort of 99 Luftballons situation where I picked the variant of the track that was actually covered

* Don't judge. It was a treadmill show. Ellen Barkin totally chews the scenery and there's lots of gratuitous flesh. Equal opportunity on the last part too - Mrs. Scorchy sometimes came down and watched with me because the dudes were just as smokin' and just as naked as the ladies (or at least as naked as cable would allow).

A MojaveD memory...

I loved Animal Kingdom and I don't care about anyone else's opinion. Loved the ending, hated to see it end. In my early 30s, MojaveD and I took over a failing RV Dealership. We had inside info on the failure, knew the current owner was likely going to prison, sold the landlord on us rather than another dodgy character who was set to step in, and voila. 4 acres along the freeway, two exits from the beach in San Diego north county, with 60 trailers and RVs for sale. Freedom from another company we were both working for. 6 months no rent. Bro was raising his 4 boys inland in suburban cookie cutter tract boredom.

Me? I was dating a stripper. I rented a place on the strand right where Animal Kingdom was filmed. The show was fun for me for that alone. Sure the heists were absurd, but that depiction of Oceanside wasn't too far off. Lawless beach town full of characters and nakedness. Other strippers were jealous of my stripper cuz her bf had a place right on the sand walking distance from the club. So of course I told them they were all welcome any time. Enjoy the beach, use my cottage, have a drink. My tiny place became a spot they used for tanning, putting on makeup before work, trying on and off their work outfits, practicing their sexy dances. 30 years later it doesn't seem real, but good times, good times. The neighbors were divided . Half loved me, half hated me, and this was oddly split by gender.

I've digressed. One day bro had a rich young couple out on a test drive in an 80k RV. He was close to a sale but not closing. We were masters of the TO (turnover). If you can't close it turn it over to another salesperson. Worked seamlessly for brothers. I was home at the beach. The young couple was all about RVing at the beach. So they drove that monster down the strand to my place. Three young hotties were tanning on my front patio. Two more were on the sofa watching tv. The gf was with another in the bathroom getting ready for work. Me? I was surfing of course, but I saw the RV after it had been there a few minutes, so I paddled in fast as I could. It pulled away as I was jogging towards it. I asked the gf what happened. She said they just helped my bro sell that RV. I laughed and asked how. She explained the wife stayed in it to have a closer look, but the husband followed bro into my place. He got a look at all that flesh and said he definitely needed to spend more time at the beach. Asked if we'd take 70. Told his wife that they wouldn't spend more than 70. He bumped to 73. We'd have taken 60. Best TO ever.

- I like Trampled By Turtles' banjo'd take on "Where is My Mind." They are a fun band to see live.
- Harry Nilsson gives a singing lesson on his cover of Badfinger's "Without You." It's vocal perfection.
- It took some seconds to get used to Amy Lee's vocals on "Going to California," but her voice grew on me as the song went on. The guitar and mandolin sound crystal clear and great on the cover.
- "When The Levee Breaks" is my favorite Zep song, and it's cool what LZ created out of the primitive sounding song by Memphis Minnie and Kansas Joe McCoy.
- The Allman Brothers Band took Sonny Boy's "One Way Out" to another level. There is an infectious groove that runs through the song, and the tune was a staple at their live shows.
- "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" by Coroner is heavy. 🤘👹🤘
- I think Roseanne Cash outdid her daddy on "Tennessee Flat Top Box."
- Arcade Fire's take on my favorite Peter Gabriel tune "Games Without Frontiers" is a fuzzified knock out. She's so popular She's so popular She's so popular 💥

- Harry Nilsson gives a singing lesson on his cover of Badfinger's "Without You." It's vocal perfection.

I haven't had time to comment on my own picks, but you nailed this one for me. I'm not even sure I like the song that much :lol: and I'm fairly certain I wouldn't have liked Harry Nilsson much, but that vocal performance blows me away every time.

Don Quixote:

Mony Mony - Billy Idol (Tommy James and the Shondells cover)
Song: first vote
Cover artist: two votes – Mony Mony (1); Don’t You (Forget About Me) (1)
Original artist: first vote

I disclaim ownership if Mony Mony shows up higher on one or more others’ list. I posted in the fall about the Billy Idol concert that I attended in the concerts thread. One of the highlights was everyone in the crowd singing along to the, uh, special lines that would not pass the profanity filter. Made me research its origins and came across this history of it:

https://www.ajournalofmusicalthings...n-billy-idols-version-of-mony-mony-come-from/

Last edited:

I'd rather not say at this point to avoid spoiling which song will appear at least two more times, even though some like to spoil that stuff anyway.
My eyebrows are raised on if I may be involved in connection to the 3 different original artists. We'll see. 🤐

I came across another one today where there were three different original artists claimed. :)

A MojaveD memory...

I loved Animal Kingdom and I don't care about anyone else's opinion. Loved the ending, hated to see it end. In my early 30s, MojaveD and I took over a failing RV Dealership. We had inside info on the failure, knew the current owner was likely going to prison, sold the landlord on us rather than another dodgy character who was set to step in, and voila. 4 acres along the freeway, two exits from the beach in San Diego north county, with 60 trailers and RVs for sale. Freedom from another company we were both working for. 6 months no rent. Bro was raising his 4 boys inland in suburban cookie cutter tract boredom.

Me? I was dating a stripper. I rented a place on the strand right where Animal Kingdom was filmed. The show was fun for me for that alone. Sure the heists were absurd, but that depiction of Oceanside wasn't too far off. Lawless beach town full of characters and nakedness. Other strippers were jealous of my stripper cuz her bf had a place right on the sand walking distance from the club. So of course I told them they were all welcome any time. Enjoy the beach, use my cottage, have a drink. My tiny place became a spot they used for tanning, putting on makeup before work, trying on and off their work outfits, practicing their sexy dances. 30 years later it doesn't seem real, but good times, good times. The neighbors were divided . Half loved me, half hated me, and this was oddly split by gender.

I've digressed. One day bro had a rich young couple out on a test drive in an 80k RV. He was close to a sale but not closing. We were masters of the TO (turnover). If you can't close it turn it over to another salesperson. Worked seamlessly for brothers. I was home at the beach. The young couple was all about RVing at the beach. So they drove that monster down the strand to my place. Three young hotties were tanning on my front patio. Two more were on the sofa watching tv. The gf was with another in the bathroom getting ready for work. Me? I was surfing of course, but I saw the RV after it had been there a few minutes, so I paddled in fast as I could. It pulled away as I was jogging towards it. I asked the gf what happened. She said they just helped my bro sell that RV. I laughed and asked how. She explained the wife stayed in it to have a closer look, but the husband followed bro into my place. He got a look at all that flesh and said he definitely needed to spend more time at the beach. Asked if we'd take 70. Told his wife that they wouldn't spend more than 70. He bumped to 73. We'd have taken 60. Best TO ever.

I Shot the Sheriff - Eric Clapton (Bob Marley & the Wailers)

I am sure everyone is familiar with this one, so I don't have too much to say about it. Clapton adds a little bluesy/rock infusion to the reggae original. It is hard to believe that this is the only Clapton song to ever hit #1 on the billboard charts. The original came out in October of 1973 and Clapton's version dropped in June of 1974. Marley was flattered by the cover and welcomed the increased visibility it gave him. However, he was reportedly infuriated that Clapton's version was getting more airplay than Marley's music on the radio in his homeland of Jamaica.

- I listened to the original of "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace Love and Understanding," and I like EC's cover the best. EC's version reminds me of my sophomore year in college.
- I like Judas Priest's rockin' version of "The Green Manalishi etc."
- I like the muted sounding piano and then when it gets louder at various points on "Self Esteem."
- The "Mad World" cover is pretty.
- "The Peppermint Twist" is a fun cover. It sounds like a song they would have played at the National Bandstand Dance on Grease.
- The "Believe" cover by Lucy Dacus is good. It's very different than Cher's version.
- I enjoyed "The Pump" cover. I like it better than the original.

Last edited:

I am sure everyone is familiar with this one, so I don't have too much to say about it. Clapton adds a little bluesy/rock infusion to the reggae original. It is hard to believe that this is the only Clapton song to ever hit #1 on the billboard charts. The original came out in October of 1973 and Clapton's version dropped in June of 1974. Marley was flattered by the cover and welcomed the increased visibility it gave him. However, he was reportedly infuriated that Clapton's version was getting more airplay than Marley's music on the radio in his homeland of Jamaica.
I would have thought Tears in Heaven hit #1, but it went to #2. He did have quite a few songs top the Mainstream Rock chart, but that's not the same thing.

Sampled by EPMD on Strictly Business

28. On Broadway-George Benson (The Drifters)

I need to correct myself here. The first recording of the song was by a girl group called The Cookies but beat to the stores by The Crystals, so the Drifters' version is actually a cover as well.

I like the theatricality of the song, and the version by Benson with a live audience brings that theatricality more to life, an opinion that Bob Fosse apparently agreed with, as he used it in a scene in his film All That Jazz.

While The Drifters got to #9 Billboard's hot 100, Benson's got to #7 as well as reaching #2 on the soul chart.

Covers I know and like from #28 that I have not mentioned before:

I Shot the Sheriff - Eric Clapton (Bob Marley & the Wailers) -- Marley's original is better, but this version is pretty good and went a long way toward getting Marley, and reggae in general, into the US mainstream.
Mony Mony - Billy Idol (Tommy James and the Shondells cover) -- I remember everyone shouting the obscene "extra words" at my high school dances.
On Broadway - George Benson (The Drifters) -- some of the chillest sh!t ever recorded
(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding - Elvis Costello & the Attractions (Brinsley Schwarz) -- Thanks to MTV, most Americans my age probably think Elvis' version is the original. When I saw Elvis play with Alain Toussaint, he opened the show with this, just him and the Attractions, before Toussaint and his sidemen came out.
Always Something There to Remind Me – Naked Eyes (Lou Johnson) -- I did subconsciously know this was a cover but it wasn't top of mind.
Mad World - Gary Jules & Michael Andrews (Tears For Fears) -- Donnie Darko FTW
La Bamba - Los Lobos (Alvaro Hernández Ortiz) -- I knew this was a cover. I did not remember Richie Valens' version was a cover, though now that I think about it, I believe I remember hearing that it was adapted from a Mexican folk song.
Summertime Blues - Blue Cheer (Eddie Cochran) -- There's another cover of this that I like better, but this is still pretty badass.
Self Control - Laura Branigan (Raf) -- I did not know this was a cover, though I can't say I'm surprised.
When the Levee Breaks - Led Zeppelin (Memphis Minnie and Kansas Joe McCoy) -- I ranked this #5 in Anarchy's Zeppelin countdown. It was #1 in the cumulative ranking.
Without You – Harry Nilsson (Badfinger) -- I ranked this #97 in my 1971 countdown. What I said there: "There were some ubiquitous-at-the-time soft pop megahits from 1971 that were left off Tim's and Bracie's lists. Most of them will be left off mine too. But I made an exception for this one. The main reason is Nilsson's vocal, which displays incredible range and touch. Though I have to imagine that this tune has been absolutely murdered at karaoke bars in subsequent years."

Last edited:

I haven't had time to comment on my own picks, but you nailed this one for me. I'm not even sure I like the song that much :lol: and I'm fairly certain I wouldn't have liked Harry Nilsson much, but that vocal performance blows me away every time.
Had this on 45. So, so sorrowful

For all of you leagle beagles:
Q. Did you hear the one about the guy who sued Southwest over his lost luggage?
A. He won the lawsuit, but still lost his case.

Q. Murphy's law states that if, something can go wrong, it will. A. Cole's law is just thinly sliced cabbage.

Q. Why don't lawyers trust atoms?
A. They make up everything.

Justice is a dish best served cold, otherwise you end up with justwater.
  • When a child won't go down for a nap or bedtime, should they be prosecuted for resisting a rest?

This was a very strong round. Almost everything worked for me.

New-to-me covers from #28 that I very much enjoyed:

That's How Strong My Love Is - Buddy Miller (O.V. Wright)
Everything is Broken – R.L. Burnside (Robert Zimmerman)
Just Breathe - Willie Nelson, Lukas Nelson (Pearl Jam) -- Touching. Accentuates that Just Breathe is the best post-1998 Pearl Jam song.
Going to California - Amy Lee (Led Zeppelin)
Border Song - Eric Clapton (Elton John) -- Seems like a weird artist/song match on paper, but the New Orleans-flavored arrangement really succeeds.
The Green Manalishi (With the Two Pronged Crown) - Judas Priest -- Badass
The Peppermint Twist - The Sweet (Joey Dee and the Starliters) -- Also badass
Dead Souls - Nine Inch Nails (Joy Division) -- Brilliant. Perfectly captures the vibe of both bands.
Where Is My Mind? - Trampled By Turtles (Pixies)
Where The Streets Have No Name - 2Cellos -- Exquisitely inventive
Summertime – The Zombies
I Want You (She's So Heavy) - Coroner (The Beatles) -- One of the Beatles' heaviest songs gets an even heavier treatment. Loved it.
Riders In The Sky – **** Dale (Bob Geddins Cavaliers)
No Woman No Cry/Let It Be mashup - Umphrey's McGee (Bob Marley/The Beatles) -- This is the kind of crazy ish Umphreys does a lot.
The Pump - Lukather/Carlton (Jeff Beck) -- I would listen to anything these two cooked up, regardless of the source material

As for this one:

Son of Sam - Jon Spencer Blues Explosion (Chain and the Gang)

@krista4 , do you allow OH to play JSBE in the house? They use a LOT of saxophone.

Just Breathe - Willie Nelson, Lukas Nelson (Pearl Jam) -- Touching. Accentuates that Just Breathe is the best post-1998 Pearl Jam song.The Peppermint Twist - The Sweet (Joey Dee and the Starliters) -- Also badass
Dead Souls - Nine Inch Nails (Joy Division) -- Brilliant. Perfectly captures the vibe of both bands.
Where Is My Mind? - Trampled By Turtles (Pixies)
Where The Streets Have No Name - 2Cellos -- Exquisitely inventive

Haven't listened to any playlist today, but I'm particularly interested in these.

Son of Sam - Jon Spencer Blues Explosion (Chain and the Gang)

@krista4 , do you allow OH to play JSBE in the house? They use a LOT of saxophone.

:lmao: He does! I have a talent for tuning this stuff out, though.

28. On Broadway-George Benson (The Drifters)

I need to correct myself here. The first recording of the song was by a girl group called The Cookies but beat to the stores by The Crystals, so the Drifters' version is actually a cover as well.

I like the theatricality of the song, and the version by Benson with a live audience brings that theatricality more to life, an opinion that Bob Fosse apparently agreed with, as he used it in a scene in his film All That Jazz.

While The Drifters got to #9 Billboard's hot 100, Benson's got to #7 as well as reaching #2 on the soul chart.

None of them could play that there guitar like George.

Yup. I have a fairly short list of songs to which I think the vocals are so good other singers need to stop covering them. They should leave perfection be, imo. I've said this about this one before.

Omgomgomg.

I'm trying to get ahead on submitting stuff to Hawks for the playlists because he's going on an unauthorized trip out of town for a couple of weeks, and I realized we are going to have a Menage-a-falala-Trois in the countdown! I didn't expect we'd see one given all the ridiculous options in this exercise. W00t! And luckily for the three selectors, it will be the first time in the countdown for the song, so they'll all share joint ownership. I hope we won't face any ugly custody battles.

Alright, time to dig into the #28s. This round saw a good-size pocket of familiar songs. Many of which I’d considered for my list, and (at least) one that’s on my 31 later. So, for a change, the “favorites” category was slightly harder to narrow down. Not to say that there weren’t several new experiences (/versions) of songs, as always.

Recognized by title alone: 20
Sounded familiar: 4
Knew from this countdown: 1
Didn’t Know: 9

Selected Favorites:
On Broadway - George Benson
Where the Streets Have No Name - 2CELLOS. I almost did a secondary Last Five Out that was all instrumentals. 2Cellos definitely would’ve made it.
Always Something There to Remind Me - Naked Eyes
Without You - Harry Nilsson

Hadn’t heard before, but liked
One Way Out - Allman Brothers Band
Just Breathe - Willie Nelson, Lukas Nelson
Self-Esteem-K. Flay
The Pump - Larry Carlton & Steve Lukather

Hadn’t heard before, but liked
One Way Out - Allman Brothers Band
Surprised you hadn't heard that before - the ABB version is pretty much a classic rock staple.
RA and krista didn't grow up on "classic rock" radio (or its predecessor, AOR), so maybe Mt. Man didn't either.
I was basing it on the type of music he seems to be drawn to - I would have expected the Allmans to be in his wheelhouse.

Uruk-Hai:

That's How Strong My Love Is - Buddy Miller (O.V. Wright)
Song: first vote
Cover artist: first vote
Original artist: first vote
I reckon most think the original is Otis Redding and they should, as he made it his own. Wright was kind of a journeyman, but a go-to for a lot of artists digging for gold.

This is a heavy admission from me, but I think Miller tops Redding's version. At best (or worst), it's a draw.
😲 Where is Uruk? Who are you?! :pI'm a Buddy Miller fan and I think his version is very good, but I can't put it over Otis's soul drenched version.
I really liked the Miller version (never heard of it or him).

I doubt anyone listed the Rolling Stones version, so I'll link it, pointing out it just may be Mick's best vocals ever:

- NIN's cover of "Dead Souls" is good. I like the bass better in JD's version, and I like the vocals better in NIN's cover. I don't know which version I like better. If I'm in a darker mood I'd pick NIN's cover, and if I'm in a more upbeat mood I'd pick JD's version.
- I dig R.L. Burnside's bluesy rendition of "Everything is Broken."
- Billy Idol totally Billy Idolizes "Mony Mony." It sounds like it would be one of his original songs, which is a good thing.
- George Benson's vocals on "On Broadway" have always reminded me of Stevie Wonder. Charlie said the first recording of the song was by a girl group The Cookies, and the original Cookies became the Raelettes. I don't know if the original Cookies were the ones who recorded it, or if the second formation of the girl group did.
- "I Shot the Sheriff" is a good cover of Marley's version. It isn't as groovy as Bob's, but it is still a good cover. It was played a lot on FM radio in the 70s. My favorite song off that album is Clapton's original "Let it Grow," which wasn't a single, but still got some airplay back then.
- "Something Always There To Remind Me" is a fun cover that screams 80s music.
- "Where The Streets Have No Name" is a cool version by 2CELLOS. @krista4 - when you see U2 this month, blow a kiss to Bono for me, and tell him to ☎️ me.

This round seems to be a bit more "chalky" - in that most of these songs are associated with the act so strongly that they're hardly considered covers*.

* please don't interpret that as me saying they shouldn't have been listed as covers.

He has been around for a long time and is well-known in the Americana genre. He is a good songwriter, and while he headlines shows himself, it isn't unusual to see him as part of the band of someone else headlining. My favorite albums of his are the ones he does with his wife Julie. She is a singer-songwriter, too.

This round seems to be a bit more "chalky" - in that most of these songs are associated with the act so strongly that they're hardly considered covers*.

I always liked learning about "stealth covers" -- it scratches that trivia-bug itch for me.

DD and the Deltone's instrumental cover of "Riders in the Sky" is awesome guitar playing.
Blue Cheer's "Summertime Blues" psychedelic rendition is far out. ☮️❤️and 🍄
I didn't realize "Self Control" was a cover, and I had never heard of Raf before. I like both versions.
The live cover of "The Sound of Silence" by Disturbed is very good.
I didn't know "When All Is Said and Done" by ABBA, so I listened to it. Hazell Dean does a good job on their rendition. I can see dance club people enjoying it.
The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion sped up and dirtied up the Chain Gang's "Son of Sam" a bit, and it works well.
I like the piano on the intro of Clapton's cover of "Border Song." I also like when the backup singers join in.
I liked the "No Woman No Cry/Let it Be" mashup, although it made me want to hear each one separately. The back and forth was sometimes like a tease. It is the first time I think I have ever heard Umphrey's McGee, at least that I can recall.
The Cuban Boys Peel session cover of "Hanging On the Telephone" is different than Blondie's cover. Blondie's cover wins for me.
🎬

He has been around for a long time and is well-known in the Americana genre. He is a good songwriter, and while he headlines shows himself, it isn't unusual to see him as part of the band of someone else headlining. My favorite albums of his are the ones he does with his wife Julie. She is a singer-songwriter, too.
And she's no slouch herself. Like you, I'm a big fan of their albums together - though I also like either on their own.

Highlights of the 28s for me.

Songs That I Knew the Cover and the Original

Ilov80s: Dead Souls - Nine Inch Nails (Joy Division) - Big Joy Division and NIN fan, and I lean toward NIN on this one. Bonus points for it being on one of the best soundtracks of the 90s.

Mt. Man: Mad World - Gary Jules & Michael Andrews (Tears For Fears) - Like this one better than the original as well. Will always associate it with overwhelming sadness from the Donnie Darko scene.

Scoresman: Always Something There to Remind Me – Naked Eyes (Lou Johnson) - Naked Eyes shone brightly for a minute. Always thought they were a two-hit wonder, but they actually had four.

Don Quixote: Mony Mony - Billy Idol (Tommy James and the Shondells) - thanks @Don Quixote for the link. One of life's enduring mysteries. The wife is from Florida they had the same chant as Maryland.

Songs That I Only Know the Original but Really Enjoyed the Cover

Eephus: Believe - Lucy Dacus (Cher)

Song I Like That I Didn't Know Was A Cover

New Binky the Doormat: (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding - Elvis Costello & the Attractions (Brinsley Schwarz) - Did I know this was a cover? I don't think so.

Songs I Liked That I Didn't Know Either Version

simey: Just Breathe - Willie Nelson, Lukas Nelson (Pearl Jam)

John Maddens Lunchbox: The Peppermint Twist - The Sweet (Joey Dee and the Starliters)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread