What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The middle-aged dummies are forming a band called "Blanket"! It's a cover band. (3 Viewers)

I finally made it through the remaining playlists so I'll post abbreviated write-ups of my final five songs.

27.ee - The Band - "Atlantic City" (Bruce Springsteen cover)

Is the cover better than the original?:
This is another one where I love the cover but it still doesn't top the original. The Band's version has a country boy in the city quality to it. Levon's vocal doesn't have the desperation of the Boss and he almost makes you believe that "everything that dies some day comes back". But the original is one of Springsteen's masterpieces.

28.ee - The Jayhawks - "Bad Time" (Grand Funk Railroad cover)

The cover plays it pretty close to the original in terms of tempo and feel but I prefer the details of the cover like the backing vocals, the guitar solo and the ka-chuk of the rhythm guitar at the end of the intro. Teenage Eephus was guilty of underestimating Grand Funk who had some good tunes including this one.

29.ee - Al Green - "How Can You Mend a Broken Heart?" (Bee Gees cover)

Is the cover better than the original?
: Yes. Rev. Al's version slows the tempo down and turns the drama up with an assist from a exquisite string section and Charles Hodges on the B-3 organ.

30.ee - X - "Soul Kitchen" (The Doors cover)

Is the cover better than the original
?: I've always loved X and never really cared for the Doors so this one is an easy call. Thanks to simey for her write-up when the song came up.

31.ee - Elvis Presley - "Hound Dog" (Big Mama Thornton cover)

The original is great but Elvis' version takes it to a higher level with the Jordanaires' harmonies and the genre-defining drum part from D.J. Fontana.

Final scoreboard: Covers 17 Originals 14

Been slowly working my way through Courtney Love's new six-part podcast on BBC radio. I say slowly because, even for an on-the-record Courtneyphile like myself, it can be a lot. Each episode is basically a mini-bio of various periods of her life, interspersed with 10 songs she picks that were particularly meaningful to her at the time. It's moderated - as much as Courtney can be my moderated - by one of my favorite podcasters (Rob Harvilla) and is full of great tunes and great stories that are likely at least 50 percent true (e.g., in her late teens, Courtney lived in Julian Cope's Liverpool flat and one of her best buds was Pete Burns - there are pictures to prove it).

Anyway, why am I posting this here? She kicked off today's pod with this amazing Joy Division cover by Nerina Pallot:

Love Will Tear Us Apart - Nerina Pallot

I didn't know you were a Courtneyphile. :oldunsure:
It doesn’t surprise me since he’s fanatical about 80s and 90s “alternative” music.

Live Through This is a great album, for what that’s worth.

I remember the album well.

I was "unsuring" her as a human, but I probably shouldn't say what I've been told. 🐰

These are the 175 songs I've added to my all covers playlist since the 1 pointers were posted. There are a few non-countdown songs mixed in that I heard on the radio.

Elizabeth Mitchell---You Are My Sunshine (Version 1)
Bill Frisell---Live to Tell
Bermuda Triangle---Wind
Paul Weller---The Bottle
Francesco De Gregori---Non dirle che non è così (if you see her, say hello)
Leo Kottke---Eight Miles High
Garth Brooks---Hard Luck Woman
The Jam---David Watts - 1997 Remaster
Robbers On High Street---Cool It Now
Fine Young Cannibals---Suspicious Minds
Buddy Miller---That's How Strong My Love Is
Nine Inch Nails---Dead Souls
Trampled by Turtles---Where Is My Mind?
Rosanne Cash---Tennessee Flat Top Box
Eddie Hazel---I Want You (She's so Heavy)
Trevor Horn,Andrea Corr,Jack Lukeman---White Wedding
Trevor Horn,Tori Amos---Swimming Pools (Drank)
Yes---I See You - 2003 Remaster
Donald Fagen---Ruby Baby
Grant-Lee Phillips---So. Central Rain (I'm Sorry)
The Black Keys---She Said, She Said
Charly Bliss---The Way You Wear Your Head
Dokken---From The Beginning
Iron & Wine---Such Great Heights
Parasites---Suzanne
Izzy Stradlin And The Ju Ju Hounds---Pressure Drop
The Brothers Johnson---Strawberry Letter 23
The Flaming Lips---Knives Out - Live on KCRW
AURORA---Pink Moon
The Donnas---Drive My Car
The Gourds---Gin and Juice
Stevie Wonder---We Can Work It Out
Orgy---Blue Monday
Jawbox---I've Got You Under My Skin
Quiet Riot---Cum on Feel the Noize
Placebo---Running Up That Hill
New York Dolls---(There's Gonna Be A) Showdown
Metallica---Turn The Page
DEVO---(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
Mark Ronson,Amy Winehouse---Valerie (feat. Amy Winehouse) - Version Revisited
Antony and the Johnsons,ANOHNI---Knockin' On Heaven's Door
Built To Spill---Jokerman
Françoise Hardy---Le temps de l'amour

Chicago---I'm a Man - 2002 Remaster
Bartees Strange---Lemonworld
Club Nouveau---Lean on Me - Remastered
Archers Of Loaf---Street Fighting Man
Rosanne Cash---She's Got You
Earth, Wind & Fire---Got to Get You Into My Life
Cat Power---Stuck Inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again
Beck---True Love Will Find You in the End
Lyle Lovett,Al Green---Funny How Time Slips Away
Richie Havens---Here Comes The Sun
Wanda Jackson---Thunder on the Mountain
Ike & Tina Turner---Whole Lotta Love - 2002 Remaster
The Sundays---Wild Horses
Headstones---Tweeter And The Monkey Man
Van Halen---Ice Cream Man - 2015 Remaster
Bruce Hornsby---Lady With A Fan - Live - 1998/99
Bryan Ferry---Positively Fourth Street
Bonnie Raitt---Angel from Montgomery - 2008 Remaster
Califone---The Orchids
Third World---Now That We've Found Love
Charles Bradley,Menahan Street Band---Heart of Gold
Bonnie Raitt---Standing In The Doorway
Janelle Monáe---Only Have Eyes 42
Jimmie Dale Gilmore---White Freight Liner Blues
Charles Bradley,The Budos Band---Changes
Bassholes---Interzone
Jeff Tweedy---Simple Twist of Fate
The Muffs---Rock & Roll Girl
Ted Hawkins---Long As I Can See The Light
Leon Russell---He Stopped Loving Her Today
Widespread Panic,The Dirty Dozen Brass Band---Arleen
Muse---Feeling Good
Siouxsie and the Banshees---This Wheel's On Fire
Rita Lee---Minha Vida
James Burton---Polk Salad Annie
Battlefield Band---Bad Moon Rising / The Rising Moon Reel
Carpenters---A Song For You
Cowboy Junkies---Sweet Jane
Built To Spill---Cortez the Killer - Live
Donna Summer---MacArthur Park - Single Version
George Harrison---If Not for You (2014 Remaster)
Laura Marling---A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall
Chromatics---Into The Black
Run–D.M.C.,Aerosmith---Walk This Way (feat. Aerosmith)
Ronnie Spector---You Can't Put Your Arms Around A Memory
Buckwheat Zydeco---Marie Marie
Friends of Dean Martinez---Wichita Lineman

The Black Crowes---Hard To Handle
Aretha Franklin---Respect
Mudhoney---Pump It Up
Luba Mason,Al Jarreau---Moondance
Rufus Wainwright---Chelsea Hotel No. 2
Frankie Goes To Hollywood---Born To Run
George Thorogood & The Destroyers---Move It On Over
Sammi Smith---Help Me Make It Through The Night
Grand Funk Railroad---The Loco-Motion
Los Lobos---Come on Let's Go
Johanna Samuels,Ohtis---Via Chicago
Nirvana---Where Did You Sleep Last Night - Live
Monie Love,True Image---It's a Shame (My Sister)
Monophonics---Bang Bang
Umphrey's McGee---Come as Your Kids
Sinéad O'Connor---Nothing Compares 2 U
Warren Zevon---Knockin' On Heaven's Door
Swing Out Sister---Am I The Same Girl?
The Flying Burrito Brothers---Dark End Of The Street
Songs: Ohia---Sweet Release - Songs:Ohia
King Harvest---Dancing in the Moonlight
Scrawl---Public Image
Crooked Fingers---When U Were Mine
Adele---Make You Feel My Love
The Staple Singers---Slippery People
David Gray---Say Hello, Wave Goodbye
Joey Ramone---What a Wonderful World
Rickie Lee Jones---I Won't Grow Up
Jeff Buckley---Hallelujah
Jeff Buckley---The Way Young Lovers Do - Live at Sin-é, New York, NY - July/August 1993
Merry Clayton---Southern Man
Mavis Staples,Levon Helm---You Got To Serve Somebody
Carla Bruni---The Winner Takes It All
The Donnas---Living After Midnight
Liam Gallagher---I Don’t Want To Be A Soldier Mama, I Don’t Wanna Die - Stripped Back Session
Harry Nilsson---Without You
Rhiannon Giddens,Bhi Bhiman---Freedom Highway (feat. Bhi Bhiman)
Kirsty MacColl---A New England
Phosphorescent---Tryin' to Get to Heaven
Johnny Cash---In My Life
Yo La Tengo---Little Honda
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers---Something In The Air
Rachel Sweet---Fools Gold
DeathbyRomy---It's Raining Men - From Promising Young Woman Soundtrack
George Benson---Tell It Like It Is
Israel Kamakawiwo'ole---Over the Rainbow
José González---Teardrop
Umphrey's McGee---National Loser Anthem
Dr. John---Basin Street Blues

The Communards,Sarah Jane Morris---Don't Leave Me This Way (with Sarah Jane Morris)
Luke Combs---Fast Car
Angelique Kidjo---Voodoo Child (Slight Return)
Silkworm---Ooh La La
Mavis Staples---Can You Get To That
Bruce Springsteen---Trapped - Live at Meadowlands Arena, E. Rutherford, NJ - August 1984
Joni Mitchell---Twisted
Joni Mitchell---(You're So Square) Baby, I Don't Care
The Rockets---Oh Well
Nirvana---The Man Who Sold The World - Live
Waylon Jennings,Jessi Colter---Suspicious Minds (with Jessi Colter)
Lyle Lovett---If I Needed You
The Isley Brothers---Ohio / Machine Gun
Willie Nelson---Blue Skies
Aretha Franklin---Bridge over Troubled Water
Hollie Cook---Walking in the Sand
Galaxie 500---Ceremony
Erasure---Lay All Your Love on Me
White Lion---Radar Love
Dolly Parton---Shine
Jerry Garcia Band,Jerry Garcia---Dear Prudence - Live
Merle Haggard---If I Could Only Fly
Otis Redding---A Change Is Gonna Come
Frank Turner---District Sleeps Alone Tonight
Roy Orbison---I Drove All Night
Carter The Unstoppable Sex Machine---This Is How It Feels - 2012 Remaster
Pretenders---Stop Your Sobbing - 2006 Remaster
Jane's Addiction---Sympathy
The Seldom Scene---City Of New Orleans
Whitney Houston---I Will Always Love You
Warren Zevon---Back In the High Life Again
Courtney Barnett---So Long, Marianne
The Kinks---Milk Cow Blues
Phish---Also Sprach Zarathustra (2001) - Live in Brooklyn
Bill Withers---Everybody's Talkin'
Cissy Houston---Be My Baby

The song drop doesn't include songs I liked that were already on my 200+ song long list, ones that I heard when I was on my bike or ones that I just forgot to the add to the list while I was grooving to it. I also tended not to include covers that were better known than the originals and live versions that didn't stray much from the originals.

I have no idea when I'm going to ever listen to 400+ covers but I'll probably keep adding to it when I hear a cover that strikes my fancy.

It's moderated - as much as Courtney can be my moderated
I remember seeing Hole back in 1995 on the Lalapooloza tour. Their set was one of the best that day. Courtney performed like she was releasing years of pent-up rage, and the band rocked. I remember her doing a solo performance of Pennyroyal Tea, and when she was done she threw her guitar out into the crowd, and then made a stage hand go fetch it.

These are the 175 songs I've added to my all covers playlist since the 1 pointers were posted. There are a few non-countdown songs mixed in that I heard on the radio.

Elizabeth Mitchell---You Are My Sunshine (Version 1)
I'm pleasantly surprised her cover made the list. I love it, but I didn't think it struck a chord with many in the countdown. I'm glad you liked it enough to add it to your list of 400+ covers. Yay!

Is there a list of countdowns that have been done before, or could someone easily compile one? I have a concept that could be fun in the event that krista, zegras or whoever doesn't want to jump straight back into a countdown that I'd be happy to admin, but want to make sure something similar has not been done before to avoid rehashing
This is from 7 years ago. I just havent been bothered updating it since
Here are some more:

Desert Island 15th Anniversary (2020)
Return of the Desert Island Jukebox Draft (2020)
This Is Their Best Song! Draft (2021)
Music Draft - Rolling Stone Greatest 500 Songs Garbage List (2021)
U2 Community Rankings (2021-22)
FBG Beatles Song Countdowns (combined 1-172, 1-25 lists, 1-64 lists) (2022)
FBG's Top 81 Led Zeppelin Songs (2022)
Desert Island Song Draft -- Alphabet Thievery (2023)
FBG's Top 100 Pink Floyd Songs (2023)

In addition to the things done under the MAD umbrella -- top 31 songs by US artists, top 31 songs by British Isles artists, top 31 songs by everyone else, top 31 songs by a single artist #1, top 31 songs by a single artist #2, and top 31 cover songs.
Thanks for that.
There are all the yearly drafts. Loads of the current year in music drafts.
Other artists have had rundowns.
Its a major undertaking to be thorough
I ran (so far away) from the board for years and missed so many music drafts.
For a considerable time i was in every one.
We have been doing this for a long, long time.
I didnt even start on music drafts until I think a 1982 draft happened and I took Laura Branigans Gloria as my first pick
Because we have changed board software multiple times, many will have disappeared as well.
How many pages of threads do we have?

Edit checked. 681 pages of threads but only since 2013.
All those threads I linked are gone 😭
Apricot of nothing, I heard an Aussie artist Saturday I don't think I've ever heard before named Royel Otis. I think the song's title was "Foam". What do you know about them?
Big fan.

I’m seeing them in a few weeks at the Kilby Block Party. Really looking forward to it.

It doesn’t surprise me since he’s fanatical about 80s and 90s “alternative” music.

Maybe it's just the constant barrage of anti-patriarchy lessons I got from many of my love interests in the early/mid 90s, but Courtney got demonized for behavior that was either celebrated, romanticized, or ignored when perpetrated by her male counterparts. She was an easy target because she externalized her crazy instead of hiding it like a lot of others. And yeah, she wanted to be famous, which I actually appreciate compared to the "whoa is me, fame sucks" crowd. Yadda, yadda, yadda. Was gonna go on and on but no one wants to hear it. :-)

And yes, great album. Celebrity Skin was pretty on point too.

Is there a list of countdowns that have been done before, or could someone easily compile one? I have a concept that could be fun in the event that krista, zegras or whoever doesn't want to jump straight back into a countdown that I'd be happy to admin, but want to make sure something similar has not been done before to avoid rehashing
This is from 7 years ago. I just havent been bothered updating it since
Here are some more:

Desert Island 15th Anniversary (2020)
Return of the Desert Island Jukebox Draft (2020)
This Is Their Best Song! Draft (2021)
Music Draft - Rolling Stone Greatest 500 Songs Garbage List (2021)
U2 Community Rankings (2021-22)
FBG Beatles Song Countdowns (combined 1-172, 1-25 lists, 1-64 lists) (2022)
FBG's Top 81 Led Zeppelin Songs (2022)
Desert Island Song Draft -- Alphabet Thievery (2023)
FBG's Top 100 Pink Floyd Songs (2023)

In addition to the things done under the MAD umbrella -- top 31 songs by US artists, top 31 songs by British Isles artists, top 31 songs by everyone else, top 31 songs by a single artist #1, top 31 songs by a single artist #2, and top 31 cover songs.
Thanks for that.
There are all the yearly drafts. Loads of the current year in music drafts.
Other artists have had rundowns.
Its a major undertaking to be thorough
I ran (so far away) from the board for years and missed so many music drafts.
For a considerable time i was in every one.
We have been doing this for a long, long time.
I didnt even start on music drafts until I think a 1982 draft happened and I took Laura Branigans Gloria as my first pick
Because we have changed board software multiple times, many will have disappeared as well.
How many pages of threads do we have?

Edit checked. 681 pages of threads but only since 2013.
All those threads I linked are gone 😭
Apricot of nothing, I heard an Aussie artist Saturday I don't think I've ever heard before named Royel Otis. I think the song's title was "Foam". What do you know about them?
Royel Otis has a cover of The Cranberries- Linger that is all over Tik Tok now. 👍

Maybe it's just the constant barrage of anti-patriarchy lessons I got from many of my love interests in the early/mid 90s, but Courtney got demonized for behavior that was either celebrated, romanticized, or ignored when perpetrated by her male counterparts. She was an easy target because she externalized her crazy instead of hiding it like a lot of others. And yeah, she wanted to be famous, which I actually appreciate compared to the "whoa is me, fame sucks" crowd. Yadda, yadda, yadda. Was gonna go on and on but no one wants to hear it. :-)

OK, since you said this, I'll say it: a person I know who knows her very, very well says she is the worst person he's ever known, and it's not even close. This person is also the furthest from a sexist or misogynist of anyone I know, almost too far in the opposite direction if that's possible. It's so bad that she is the only person on the planet whom he refuses to comment on publicly, and he gets interviewed about a lot of musicians and doesn't hold back. :lol: I can't even post some of the things I've heard.

She definitely could have been demonized by some for the reasons that you say. I feel confident in saying that she is also demonized because she's an actual demon.

OK, since you said this, I'll say it: a person I know who knows her very, very well says she is the worst person he's ever known, and it's not even close. This person is also the furthest from a sexist or misogynist of anyone I know, almost too far in the opposite direction if that's possible. It's so bad that she is the only person on the planet whom he refuses to comment on publicly, and he gets interviewed about a lot of musicians and doesn't hold back. :lol: I can't even post some of the things I've heard.

She definitely could have been demonized by some for the reasons that you say. I feel confident in saying that she is also demonized because she's an actual demon.
That certainly sounds plausible, and for the record, I was talking more about the music press and grunge fanboys than people who actually know her. I don't think Dave Grohl, Trent Reznor, Kathleen Hanna, etc are all making stuff up. I would love to be at a dinner party with Courtney but would never want to be friends with her or anything either (which I'm sure crushes her).

That certainly sounds plausible, and for the record, I was talking more about the music press and grunge fanboys than people who actually know her. I don't think Dave Grohl, Trent Reznor, Kathleen Hanna, etc are all making stuff up. I would love to be at a dinner party with Courtney but would never want to be friends with her or anything either (which I'm sure crushes her).

I haven't read any of their thoughts on her so don't know if it's in keeping with what I know. But I think you're better off avoiding that dinner party, anyway. :lol:

So you love people who hate the patriarchy!

The journalist and author Neil Strauss is one of Courtney Loves best friends. They understand each other very well.
I cant recall everything he said about her, but he nailed her personality early on and gets her respect due to mutual understanding.
Like scorchy implies, she has a lot of alpha male traits, which by their true definition are either CEO or psycho traits. Probably both.
Its been 20 years since I read Strauss’s description of Courtney and how her brain works. He controls her flaws and accentuates her strengths. He is an expert at understanding people, in particular women though.

Happy Earth Day! 🌎 🌳🌻🦋 ♻️

It's April 21st and everybody knows today is Earth Day
Merry Christmas, Happy Birthday to whoever's being born
And now I'm trying hard to think of something
meaningful and worthy, kind of earthy
to make everybody ask themselves just
What are we doing here?
and what are we doing to her?

So you love people who hate the patriarchy!
Let's say you continually find yourself attracted to women who say things like "Engagement rings are a one-way symbol of male ownership, and given its outward-facing visibility to the community, even worse than asking a father's 'permission' to marry. If you ever bought me one, I'd go throw it in Lake Alice." Two things happen in your brain (1) you start to ponder the deeper and darker meaning of longstanding cultural rituals and (2) you realize you should probably marry someone who's way less angry.

The quote above actually happened and is almost verbatim. The speaker never married, but does still hold a lot of anger that all the ways she "trained" me in the truths of feminism ultimately made me a more enlightened partner for Mrs. Scorchy. Maybe this all explains my Courtney-philia.

But I swear, I just wanted to post the Joy Division cover from her podcast...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread