What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Josh McCown Kneeldown (1 Viewer)

r0llin_game

Footballguy
I caught this in real time, but did anyone else notice Josh McCown's kneeldown? Instead of the typical take a loss of a yard kneel down, he went forward for what looked to be no gain. I know it is pretty much really irrelevant, but I have a friend that had McCown that was up by .04 until the kneel down. On NFL.com and espn.com, it was credited as a loss of a yard.

:ptts:

Dude got 40+ out of backup QB on a night when wind chills were well below zero. He should have started better players at other positions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I noticed this too. It almost look as if McCown made an effort to go forward and not lose the yard.

Maybe this will be corrected.

McCown had himself in his league. Why else was he throwing after they had already beat up the Cowboys? He didn't want to lose that 1 yard either.

you gotta figure that even if he went forward he probably isn't making it all the way back to the original line of scrimmage (nose of football)....an offensive lineman (center) in his stance probably takes up a full yard, if not more, backwards from the nose of the football.....by the time it gets snapped back to McCown he would have to move forward quite a bit not to take a loss of some sort.....and most likely in the NFL, statwise, there is no difference between a .01 yard loss or a .99 yard loss or a 1 yard loss....they are all a 1 yard loss.....tough loss

eta: for the record, I didn't actually see the kneel down.....

Last edited by a moderator:
is the kneeldown usually - 1 yd or -2?
Usually depends on time left and whether the qb is trying to waste a few extra seconds.

Since I don't have a dvr, one of my friends looked at it and said he pretty much got back to the line. The only time where .01 yards makes a difference is when you're short of a first down by less than a length, or something similar, and the next play, the player barely gets the nose of the ball past the sticks.

r0llin_game said:
Rove! said:
is the kneeldown usually - 1 yd or -2?
Usually depends on time left and whether the qb is trying to waste a few extra seconds.

Since I don't have a dvr, one of my friends looked at it and said he pretty much got back to the line. The only time where .01 yards makes a difference is when you're short of a first down by less than a length, or something similar, and the next play, the player barely gets the nose of the ball past the sticks.
"pretty much" being the key words here....either he did or he didn't....if he didn't, it's going down as a 1 yard loss.....probably pretty standard for the official scorekeepers to rule it that way on a kneel down no matter what...unless like someone said, the QB takes a few steps back or something....

Users who are viewing this thread