What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Evolution of the Packers WR's (1 Viewer)

BallparkFrank

Footballguy
Might as well have one big thread for all of these guys since so many of them seem to be making news to some degree and several are key fantasy players in re-draft and dynasty.

How do you think this group plays out this season and beyond?

A few of my random thoughts:

Donald Driver only played 3 snaps yesterday and those were due to Jennings tapping out. He's officially moved to the bottom of the depth chart.

Jennings and Rodgers have both spoken openly about this very possibly being Jennings final season in Green Bay. The timing of this, just before week 1, seemed odd to say the least. When you talk about being gone, does that translate to being mentally gone and phased out to a degree?

Jordy Nelson, I am convinced is the real deal, but I am also convinced that Rodgers and Nelson will likely never be able to duplicate the ridiculous percentage of big plays they hit on last season. If that big play connection is taken away or considerably reduced, his value could take a considerable shot. He should still be a red zone terror, however.

Randall Cobb is the guy most likely to see an uptick in snaps that could profoundly impact everyone in this group. He's clearly ahead of Driver finally and lining up everywhere including the backfield. You would expect him to start getting carries/pitches/end arounds at some point as the offense continues to evolve. Can he become an elite player - perhaps the most dangerous weapon in this group or is he merely an inconsistent gadget player going forward?

James Jones seemingly leads the league in coming back from the dead - especially for dynasty leaguers. Every time someone gives up on him, he flashes. The Packers started with Jones and Nelson out wide yesterday with Jennings in the slot which is a solid development for Jones. The question with this guy has always been consistency and opportunity. Can he ever string anything together to make the Packers feel comfortable enough to let Jennings walk without the tag or a new deal at the end of the year?

What do you make of this group as it continues to evolve this season and beyond?

Huge Packer fan here. I wouldn't read too much into the individual stats from yesterday's game. San Fran was just the better team yesterday and the Packers were frustrated. Green Bay has never been a running team, but they were completely unable to make SF even respect the run yesterday. They completely took Green Bay out of their game and their defensive pressure removed almost any ability to throw deep.

My thoughts:

1) Jennings: I wasn't a huge fan of his this year based mostly on where he was being drafted. I think he'll again end the year with the most receptions. I see him around 1100 / 8.

2) Nelson: Before the year and still today I think he'll be the number one fantasy WR on the roster. 1200/11 seems about right to me.

3) Jones: Looked good yesterday, but doubt it's repeatable. He's been in the offense too long to change overnight. I doubt the Packers are grooming a 28 year old to take over for another 28 year old. 700/5 would be my prediction. I'm not convinced he's eliminated his drops. His TD was a nice route, but it was a coverage breakdown. If he's traded to Miami, he could probably get to 1000 yards just by dint of Miami playing from behind every week.

4) Cobb: Pretty clear the Packers were doing whatever they could to get him the ball, but he just doesn't show much ability to get the ball more than 5 yards down the field. He was a substitute for the running game. That's great in a PPR league, but I can't see big yardage or TD totals for him this year. Maybe 550/3. I definitely believe in Cobb in the long-term, though.

5) Driver: He's done, but I think we all knew that already.

6) Finley: Ugh, his numbers looked OK, but this guy continues to be my most hated Packer ever. Another huge drop on a 3rd down yesterday. That's what he does. He'll probably have 800/8, but again he'll go weeks without producing and you'll be terribly frustrated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Huge Packer fan here. I wouldn't read too much into the individual stats from yesterday's game. San Fran was just the better team yesterday and the Packers were frustrated. Green Bay has never been a running team, but they were completely unable to make SF even respect the run yesterday. They completely took Green Bay out of their game and their defensive pressure removed almost any ability to throw deep.My thoughts:1) Jennings: I wasn't a huge fan of his this year based mostly on where he was being drafted. I think he'll again end the year with the most receptions. I see him around 1100 / 8.2) Nelson: Before the year and still today I think he'll be the number one fantasy WR on the roster. 1200/11 seems about right to me. 3) Jones: Looked good yesterday, but doubt it's repeatable. He's been in the offense too long to change overnight. 700/5 would be my prediction. I'm not convinced he's eliminated his drops. His TD was a nice route, but it was a coverage breakdown. 4) Cobb: Pretty clear the Packers were doing whatever they could to get him the ball, but he just doesn't show much ability to get the ball more than 5 yards down the field. He was a substitute for the running game. That's great in a PPR league, but I can't see big yardage or TD totals for him this year. Maybe 550/3. 5) Driver: He's done, but I think we all knew that already.6) Finley: Ugh, his numbers looked OK, but this guy continues to be my most hated Packer ever. Another huge drop on a 3rd down yesterday. That's what he does. He'll probably have 800/8, but again he'll go weeks without producing and you'll be terribly frustrated.
Breadtree, I noticed Jennings was jused primarily in the slot yesterday. I recall in past seasons he was used mainly on the outside. Is this how they will be using him going forward?

3)I doubt the Packers are grooming a 28 year old to take over for another 28 year old.
I don't think Jones will be able to duplicate the numbers Jennings has but the idea being that the Packers would line up Jones and Nelson on the outside with Cobb in the slot in 2013 and we'd see Cobb likely step up his production significantly enough to offset the dropoff from Jennings to Jones.

Huge Packer fan here. I wouldn't read too much into the individual stats from yesterday's game. San Fran was just the better team yesterday and the Packers were frustrated. Green Bay has never been a running team, but they were completely unable to make SF even respect the run yesterday. They completely took Green Bay out of their game and their defensive pressure removed almost any ability to throw deep.My thoughts:1) Jennings: I wasn't a huge fan of his this year based mostly on where he was being drafted. I think he'll again end the year with the most receptions. I see him around 1100 / 8.2) Nelson: Before the year and still today I think he'll be the number one fantasy WR on the roster. 1200/11 seems about right to me. 3) Jones: Looked good yesterday, but doubt it's repeatable. He's been in the offense too long to change overnight. 700/5 would be my prediction. I'm not convinced he's eliminated his drops. His TD was a nice route, but it was a coverage breakdown. 4) Cobb: Pretty clear the Packers were doing whatever they could to get him the ball, but he just doesn't show much ability to get the ball more than 5 yards down the field. He was a substitute for the running game. That's great in a PPR league, but I can't see big yardage or TD totals for him this year. Maybe 550/3. 5) Driver: He's done, but I think we all knew that already.6) Finley: Ugh, his numbers looked OK, but this guy continues to be my most hated Packer ever. Another huge drop on a 3rd down yesterday. That's what he does. He'll probably have 800/8, but again he'll go weeks without producing and you'll be terribly frustrated.
Breadtree, I noticed Jennings was jused primarily in the slot yesterday. I recall in past seasons he was used mainly on the outside. Is this how they will be using him going forward?
I think that's probably the Driver effect more than anything. When the top 3 was Jennings, Nelson and Driver, the roles were pretty clear with Driver in the slot. Now, Nelson and Jones are pretty much locked into outside roles while Jennings and Cobb seem more dangerous in the open field. When you factor in Cobb taking 19 snaps in the backfield, you have to put somebody in the slot.

3)I doubt the Packers are grooming a 28 year old to take over for another 28 year old.
I don't think Jones will be able to duplicate the numbers Jennings has but the idea being that the Packers would line up Jones and Nelson on the outside with Cobb in the slot in 2013 and we'd see Cobb likely step up his production significantly enough to offset the dropoff from Jennings to Jones.
This is how I see it as well. Jones has a very cheap contract and the Packers are deep at WR so it makes Jennings expendable. He won't be expected to match Jennings' production but he doesn't have to be for the Packers to be successful. Upgrading the running game is a far more pressing issue than re-signing Jennings IMO.

I think that's probably the Driver effect more than anything. When the top 3 was Jennings, Nelson and Driver, the roles were pretty clear with Driver in the slot. Now, Nelson and Jones are pretty much locked into outside roles while Jennings and Cobb seem more dangerous in the open field. When you factor in Cobb taking 19 snaps in the backfield, you have to put somebody in the slot.
That's what I think it is. I remain convinced that the Packers would like to line up with Jennings and Nelson out wide and Cobb in the slot, but they knew they'd have a hard time running against the league's best defense and it came true. So they kept using their Cobb in the backfield formation. Jennings can do more things than Jones can, so they put Jennings in the slot.

Jennings will do what he's always done, he just might not be back next year. If Cobb earns a starting job he won't, if Cobb does well in his role but doesn't show a ceiling then the Pack may bend the budget a bit. We'll see. I'm betting he goes elsewhere though.

Jordy's a legit starting WR, won't definitively say he'll beat Jennings again but it wouldn't surprise me. He's in for the long haul, I expect him to sign an extension this offseason.

The Packers want to see if Jones and Cobb are big pieces in this team's future. Their thoughts are Cobb is he will and the way he was used yesterday is very encouraging, but Jones probably isn't because if he produces he'll make contract demands the Pack won't match and if he doesn't the Pack will move on anyway.

The Packers want one of their developmental TE's to emerge so they can utilize Finley less often, what they want may not happen though. Status quo for Finley.

When all is said and done, the Packers are going to draft another WR a/o TE next year because they want long term alternatives to Finley, Jennings, and Jones.

Jennings tapped out the final 3 plays yesterday with a groin injury, fwiw. Probably nothing, but worth monitoring on a short week.

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne

No practice today but on the injury report are G. Jennings (groin), Manning (concussion), Starks (turf toe), Wilson (groin) as DNP's.

Might as well have one big thread for all of these guys since so many of them seem to be making news to some degree and several are key fantasy players in re-draft and dynasty.How do you think this group plays out this season and beyond? A few of my random thoughts:Donald Driver only played 3 snaps yesterday and those were due to Jennings tapping out. He's officially moved to the bottom of the depth chart.Jennings and Rodgers have both spoken openly about this very possibly being Jennings final season in Green Bay. The timing of this, just before week 1, seemed odd to say the least. When you talk about being gone, does that translate to being mentally gone and phased out to a degree? Jordy Nelson, I am convinced is the real deal, but I am also convinced that Rodgers and Nelson will likely never be able to duplicate the ridiculous percentage of big plays they hit on last season. If that big play connection is taken away or considerably reduced, his value could take a considerable shot. He should still be a red zone terror, however.Randall Cobb is the guy most likely to see an uptick in snaps that could profoundly impact everyone in this group. He's clearly ahead of Driver finally and lining up everywhere including the backfield. You would expect him to start getting carries/pitches/end arounds at some point as the offense continues to evolve. Can he become an elite player - perhaps the most dangerous weapon in this group or is he merely an inconsistent gadget player going forward?James Jones seemingly leads the league in coming back from the dead - especially for dynasty leaguers. Every time someone gives up on him, he flashes. The Packers started with Jones and Nelson out wide yesterday with Jennings in the slot which is a solid development for Jones. The question with this guy has always been consistency and opportunity. Can he ever string anything together to make the Packers feel comfortable enough to let Jennings walk without the tag or a new deal at the end of the year?What do you make of this group as it continues to evolve this season and beyond?
Nelson and Jennings got about the same amount of looks yesterday.Whether its his last year or not...Rodgers is not going to stop going his way just because he may not be back.The guy wants to win...and if Jennings is open...he is going to him.You hit it on the head with Jones...just not a consistent target yet. Not in the offense or with his hands.

Jennings tapped out the final 3 plays yesterday with a groin injury, fwiw. Probably nothing, but worth monitoring on a short week.

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne

No practice today but on the injury report are G. Jennings (groin), Manning (concussion), Starks (turf toe), Wilson (groin) as DNP's.
IDK, groin injuries can be tricky. Not a good sign that he had to come out on the last series with the game on the line. At minimum, it's a sign to me at least, that the injury is more than "nothing."Bump Cobb?

Might as well have one big thread for all of these guys since so many of them seem to be making news to some degree and several are key fantasy players in re-draft and dynasty.

How do you think this group plays out this season and beyond?

A few of my random thoughts:

Donald Driver only played 3 snaps yesterday and those were due to Jennings tapping out. He's officially moved to the bottom of the depth chart.

Jennings and Rodgers have both spoken openly about this very possibly being Jennings final season in Green Bay. The timing of this, just before week 1, seemed odd to say the least. When you talk about being gone, does that translate to being mentally gone and phased out to a degree?

Jordy Nelson, I am convinced is the real deal, but I am also convinced that Rodgers and Nelson will likely never be able to duplicate the ridiculous percentage of big plays they hit on last season. If that big play connection is taken away or considerably reduced, his value could take a considerable shot. He should still be a red zone terror, however.

Randall Cobb is the guy most likely to see an uptick in snaps that could profoundly impact everyone in this group. He's clearly ahead of Driver finally and lining up everywhere including the backfield. You would expect him to start getting carries/pitches/end arounds at some point as the offense continues to evolve. Can he become an elite player - perhaps the most dangerous weapon in this group or is he merely an inconsistent gadget player going forward?

James Jones seemingly leads the league in coming back from the dead - especially for dynasty leaguers. Every time someone gives up on him, he flashes. The Packers started with Jones and Nelson out wide yesterday with Jennings in the slot which is a solid development for Jones. The question with this guy has always been consistency and opportunity. Can he ever string anything together to make the Packers feel comfortable enough to let Jennings walk without the tag or a new deal at the end of the year?

What do you make of this group as it continues to evolve this season and beyond?
Nelson and Jennings got about the same amount of looks yesterday.Whether its his last year or not...Rodgers is not going to stop going his way just because he may not be back.

The guy wants to win...and if Jennings is open...he is going to him.

You hit it on the head with Jones...just not a consistent target yet. Not in the offense or with his hands.
Oh, I get that. I just think once Jennings AND Rodgers both start talking like he's basically gone 1 week before the start of the season, it just adds an uneasy dynamic to the situation that probably could've been avoided by simply not talking about it. The whole thing just seemed so un-Greg-Jennings-like. Once you mentally check out, things can really change in a hurry.

I think it should be noted that Cobb caught 9 balls on 9 targets. I'm know Math genius but that is 100% and against a pretty good SF DEF. Don't see how Cobb gets used less throughout the year. Has to be more IMO. :popcorn:

I think it should be noted that Cobb caught 9 balls on 9 targets. I'm know Math genius but that is 100% and against a pretty good SF DEF. Don't see how Cobb gets used less throughout the year. Has to be more IMO. :popcorn:
I think it's pretty easy to see how he could be used less on a team with so many weapons. The Niners may have the best D in the NFL and Cobb was forced to become the Packers running game through the air since they could get nothing on the ground. It's all uphill from here on paper when it comes to opposing defenses so the normal Packers offense should be back in high gear with Rodgers spreading the ball all over the place.That said, I agree that Cobb is a weapon unlike anything Rodgers has ever had. I think they're just scratching the surface on how to maximize his talents. Whether it plays out into fantasy and whether he can eventually move past guys like Jennings and Nelson - who knows. :popcorn:

I have been very critical of Jones myself and I own the guy on 2 dynasty teams (Which should explain a lot) but I must admit, I thought he looked like a new guy out there yesterday. I personally watch the way players catch the ball, and about 90% of the time, hands catchers are far more consistent than body catchers, and Jones was always a body catcher before, but yesterday I saw him snatch a couples passes out in front of him all hands. I personally think if he has turned that corner, which very few guys do, he may be a very good surprise for us or whoever gets him.

This is why I love Jennings, not even talking fantasy, he is a great receiver, he always snatches the ball well, routes are general very crisp and seems to get in and out of breaks well and can beat the jam. I will be a very disappointed fan if we let Jennings walk.

I have been very critical of Jones myself and I own the guy on 2 dynasty teams (Which should explain a lot) but I must admit, I thought he looked like a new guy out there yesterday. I personally watch the way players catch the ball, and about 90% of the time, hands catchers are far more consistent than body catchers, and Jones was always a body catcher before, but yesterday I saw him snatch a couples passes out in front of him all hands. I personally think if he has turned that corner, which very few guys do, he may be a very good surprise for us or whoever gets him. This is why I love Jennings, not even talking fantasy, he is a great receiver, he always snatches the ball well, routes are general very crisp and seems to get in and out of breaks well and can beat the jam. I will be a very disappointed fan if we let Jennings walk.
That is the thing about Jones that never made sense...they would say how he had great hands and would catch in his hands...and he would totally lock up come game time and go to body catching.And I agree about Jennings.Great article a while back about how the WRs watch him...how he makes every route look the same which throws off defenders.

4) Cobb: Pretty clear the Packers were doing whatever they could to get him the ball, but he just doesn't show much ability to get the ball more than 5 yards down the field. He was a substitute for the running game. That's great in a PPR league, but I can't see big yardage or TD totals for him this year. Maybe 550/3. I definitely believe in Cobb in the long-term, though.
This doesn't make sense to me. Cobb had 77 receiving yards yesterday. So you are saying if he plays 15 more games you see him getting only 473 more yards... about 32 yards per game. This after you said the Packers were doing whatever they could to get him the ball. :confused:If he stays healthy, IMO there is no way he averages no more than 32 yards per game the rest of the way.

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne

IDK, groin injuries can be tricky. Not a good sign that he had to come out on the last series with the game on the line. At minimum, it's a sign to me at least, that the injury is more than "nothing."Bump Cobb?
Plus they play Thursday. Doesn't give Jennings a lot of time to be ready this week

According to Bob McGinn:

68 snaps

Nelson played 65

Jennings 63 (out the last series)

Jones 58

Finley 58 (48 hand down, 3 in the backfield, 7 split wide)

Cobb 15 at WR: lined up @ RB 20 snaps

Driver would have been DNP but got 3 snaps at the end for Jennings

Driver or Boykin will go on Thursday if Jennings is hurt.

'CletiusMaximus said:
According to Bob McGinn:68 snaps Nelson played 65 Jennings 63 (out the last series) Jones 58 Finley 58 (48 hand down, 3 in the backfield, 7 split wide) Cobb 15 at WR: lined up @ RB 20 snapsDriver would have been DNP but got 3 snaps at the end for JenningsDriver or Boykin will go on Thursday if Jennings is hurt.
Wow, Cobb only got 35 snaps? That is excellent production on that amount... 1 catch for every 4 snaps.

'CletiusMaximus said:
According to Bob McGinn:68 snaps Nelson played 65 Jennings 63 (out the last series) Jones 58 Finley 58 (48 hand down, 3 in the backfield, 7 split wide) Cobb 15 at WR: lined up @ RB 20 snapsDriver would have been DNP but got 3 snaps at the end for JenningsDriver or Boykin will go on Thursday if Jennings is hurt.
Wow, Cobb only got 35 snaps? That is excellent production on that amount... 1 catch for every 4 snaps.
I didn't realize that either....to me that means we likely saw his best game of year barring injuries...

'CletiusMaximus said:
What was the split between his catches lined up at WR vs. RB?

'CletiusMaximus said:
According to Bob McGinn:

68 snaps

Nelson played 65

Jones 58

The major development was McCarthy's decision to use Cobb on the majority of passing downs after the first series. Cobb lined up in the backfield 20 times and then motioned out to receiver on seven. In all, four of his catches came from out of the backfield, four came as a WR and one came when he shifted outside.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-not-positioned-properly-against-49ers-ve6qa4t-169272666.html

'CletiusMaximus said:
I didn't realize that either....to me that means we likely saw his best game of year barring injuries...
why in the world would you think that? I think we havent seen the best yet....

'CletiusMaximus said:
I agree that the best is probably yet to come with Cobb,but it is interesting to note that it was widely assumed that Cobb would benefit the most once Driver was demoted. Most felt that it would mean a lot of Jennings and Nelson wide with Cobb taking over in the slot. While Cobb was used all over in week 1, it was actually James Jones who saw the greatest uptick in snaps with Driver's demotion as the Packers opened up with Jones-Jennings-Nelson. If Jones continues to receive starters snaps on the outside with Jennings in the slot, it certainly caps Cobb's upside even if he's a jack of all trades.

'CletiusMaximus said:
I agree that the best is probably yet to come with Cobb,but it is interesting to note that it was widely assumed that Cobb would benefit the most once Driver was demoted. Most felt that it would mean a lot of Jennings and Nelson wide with Cobb taking over in the slot. While Cobb was used all over in week 1, it was actually James Jones who saw the greatest uptick in snaps with Driver's demotion as the Packers opened up with Jones-Jennings-Nelson. If Jones continues to receive starters snaps on the outside with Jennings in the slot, it certainly caps Cobb's upside even if he's a jack of all trades.
Not necessarily. It's all about the targets. If the Packers take Cobb off the field on running downs, that doesn't hurt his value much. If Jones plays every snap, but is always the fourth read, while Cobb plays half the snaps and is always the first read, then Cobb is the guy to own. He certainly wouldn't be the first player to be productive on limited snaps.

'CletiusMaximus said:
Not necessarily. It's all about the targets. If the Packers take Cobb off the field on running downs, that doesn't hurt his value much. If Jones plays every snap, but is always the fourth read, while Cobb plays half the snaps and is always the first read, then Cobb is the guy to own. He certainly wouldn't be the first player to be productive on limited snaps.
Agreed, but I think a lot of people were expecting a starting trio of Jennings-Cobb-Nelson and a full complement of snaps for Cobb in the slot once DD was demoted. We got the DD demotion, but it seems as though Jones has thrown a bit of an unexpected wrench into things - at least as far as how I expected things to play out. Let's face it, Jennings and Nelson won't be held down forever, so it's going to be awfully difficult for Cobb to duplicate what he did in week 1 on so few snaps assuming things stay status quo. He's going to need more snaps to become a legit fantasy threat, imo.

'CletiusMaximus said:
If Jennings can't go, I'd love to see Boykin get some snaps.

My team is weak at wide receiver and I have the first pick. My thoughts are either Hill or Ogeltree. I know Cobb had a nice day but there are just so many weapons up there and Im looking for a potential every week starter. Im leaning Hill because he has the potential to be the #1 on his team but still considering Ogeltree because IF something happens to Dez or Austin (a pretty good possibility) he immediately becomes more valuable than Hill. Just cant shake what happened last year with Laurent Robinson and it is now or never with Ogeltree. Im at about 55 Hill 45 ogeltree but waivering. Also lost in the shuffle is Jones for Buffalo. He could be a really sneaky pick with Nelson out for the year.

tom silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein

#Packers practice: Greg Jennings, James Starks are out. Lattimore and CJ Wilson are practicing.

My team is weak at wide receiver and I have the first pick. My thoughts are either Hill or Ogeltree. I know Cobb had a nice day but there are just so many weapons up there and Im looking for a potential every week starter. Im leaning Hill because he has the potential to be the #1 on his team but still considering Ogeltree because IF something happens to Dez or Austin (a pretty good possibility) he immediately becomes more valuable than Hill. Just cant shake what happened last year with Laurent Robinson and it is now or never with Ogeltree. Im at about 55 Hill 45 ogeltree but waivering. Also lost in the shuffle is Jones for Buffalo. He could be a really sneaky pick with Nelson out for the year.
:sadbanana:

'CletiusMaximus said:
According to Bob McGinn:

68 snaps

Nelson played 65

Jones 58

The major development was McCarthy's decision to use Cobb on the majority of passing downs after the first series. Cobb lined up in the backfield 20 times and then motioned out to receiver on seven. In all, four of his catches came from out of the backfield, four came as a WR and one came when he shifted outside.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-not-positioned-properly-against-49ers-ve6qa4t-169272666.html
Thanks. I was very impressed that he caught all 9 of his targets. He looks to be like another Harvin and should give the Packers the impetus to let Jennings walk next year.

here's a quote from McCarthy re: Cobbs:

Randall was very productive with his opportunity, exciting player with the ball in his hands, and that's the theory on getting him in the backfield."
i might be reading too much into this but 9 rec on 9 targets, KR for a TD, all over the field, it seems like the coaching staff is recognizing potential and will try to utilize Cobb in mismatches given the focus on Jennings, Finley and Nelson. Benson was uninspiring (although he was going against the toughest rush def), but Cobb is a more exciting receiver threat who can line up in the backfield and then motion outside for the mismatch...i'm drinking the koolaid, especially with jennings' groin problem. my only question: if jennings misses any time, does jones take his position (maybe not as the #1 receiver on GB, but lining up and running jennings' routes)?

here's a quote from McCarthy re: Cobbs:

Randall was very productive with his opportunity, exciting player with the ball in his hands, and that's the theory on getting him in the backfield."
i might be reading too much into this but 9 rec on 9 targets, KR for a TD, all over the field, it seems like the coaching staff is recognizing potential and will try to utilize Cobb in mismatches given the focus on Jennings, Finley and Nelson. Benson was uninspiring (although he was going against the toughest rush def), but Cobb is a more exciting receiver threat who can line up in the backfield and then motion outside for the mismatch...i'm drinking the koolaid, especially with jennings' groin problem. my only question: if jennings misses any time, does jones take his position (maybe not as the #1 receiver on GB, but lining up and running jennings' routes)?
No. Jennings was being used as the slot WR so you would have to assume that they'd go with Jones-Cobb to replace Jennings in the slot-Nelson. When they use Cobb in the backfield, they'd likely put Driver in the slot. In the first game, the top 3 WR's (Jennings, Nelson and Jones) all saw roughly the same snap totals so w/o Jennings, it's probably safe to say that Nelson, Jones and Cobb would also share a pretty equal workload. Who cashes in really depends on Rodgers. Just my personal opinion.

Not that CBS means much...

but James Jones is ranked 25-33 by a couple of their people this week vs the Bears. Those same people have Jennings in the teens, so Jones' ranking is not because of an injury to Jennings.

If you take this to have any value, it means the Pack have 3 highly viable starting WRs right now. Ultimately, I agree and think that Jones...given the snap counts and the frequent deep targets...will at least put up #2 production in 12+ teamers.

Let me be clear, I'm likely going for Cobb in my blind bid fa this week over jones,(I get 1 point per 20 return yards), but if you read the post game notes here:

http://blog.packers.com/

I read a lot of that to say that they do love some Cobb, BUT this game was more an aberration of how sf D was man handling them rather then the norm. 4 catches a week sounds much more reasonable, just so they give him some shots, and even occasionally we will see a 2 or 3.

That may just be me tempering my expectations, but jones seems like a good guy in standard ppr scoring formats for a much cheapier price...

He caught like 80% of his targets LAST season. One stat I noted and a reason I drafted him in all of my leagues.

Hard to tell whether Jennings's injuries are just short-term bad luck, or something that will depress his numbers all year. I've seen enough of Jones to know he's no more than a bye/injury fill in, as he'll get his 45/600/5 again this year.

Cobb, on the other hand, is going to be in the 70-80 catch range this year. Obviously it's not so bold to claim that after 9 catches in Week 1, but he's on waivers in tons of leagues. He has to be one of the top claims. I would take him over Ogletree or Hill.

Sproles caught 15 passes against the Niners in the playoffs last year. My guess is that the Packers saw the tape and decided that was one of the defense's few vulnerabilities. Cobb is the kind of quick player who can fill that role, and since they didn't have much hope of running the ball anyways, and this was a new wrinkle which the defense hadn't prepared for, they weren't losing too much by putting him in the backfield.

But Cobb was only used as a receiver when he lined up in the backfield. He didn't get any carries or spend any snaps pass blocking (last year he had only 2 carries for 5 yards - I'm not sure what formation they came out of - and he didn't do any pass blocking). Unless they like him as a runner or pass blocker, I don't think they're going to put him in the backfield nearly as often as they did this week. Which means he'll have to get most of his offensive touches at WR, competing with Jennings, Nelson, and Jones for snaps.

Hard to tell whether Jennings's injuries are just short-term bad luck, or something that will depress his numbers all year. I've seen enough of Jones to know he's no more than a bye/injury fill in, as he'll get his 45/600/5 again this year.Cobb, on the other hand, is going to be in the 70-80 catch range this year. Obviously it's not so bold to claim that after 9 catches in Week 1, but he's on waivers in tons of leagues. He has to be one of the top claims. I would take him over Ogletree or Hill.
I think you're reading this situation wrong re James Jones. Donald Driver is nothing more than injury security at this point in his career and is being phased out. This puts roughly 400/5 on the table for the other receivers. Based on week 1 snap counts it looks like James Jones may stand to benefit from this. 600/5 is his floor. Given the increase in snap counts he should be able to outproduce his past years production. Also, all the training camp and preseason reports were very positive on Jones. He apparently is in the best shape of his career and has looked better than in years past. His lack of dropped passes was specifically mentioned in this article: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/nelson-shines-in-camp-ac6de4u-165372066.htmlJones was on the field more than Cobb. He'll have the benefit of being the third or fourth guy accounted for by the defense. In this offense, you just never know... it could be his year. It was Jordy's last year. Defenses will adjust accordingly. Rodgers is going to take what the defense gives him. Could it be Cobb's year? Sure. My point is I like Jones to have an uptick in production compared to years past. How much remains to be seen.

It's interesting that FBG's still has Jones ranked way too low (in my opinion) into the unstartable area in mandatory 3 start WR leagues, despite Jennings groin and Jones high number of snaps and Driver's apparent demotion. Certainly most teams have better starting options that were drafted, but at some point Jones is going to be solid start especially as a bye week filler.

Here's a really nicely done photo "film study" of Cobb's catches last week. Even though it's on film now, this stuff should be available all year as every defense will focus solely on not giving up the big play over the top.

Users who are viewing this thread