What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Bill Simmons Podcast (1 Viewer)

Also loved Simmons saying “it’s time to take serious the Eagles going 17-0 this year” and then 30 seconds later lamenting how bad he is at NFL gambling lol.
As a diehard Eagles fan I would be shocked by that. They may not even go 6-0 because Dallas may be the toughest team they face this year.

Not a fan of House doing Guess the Lines, but will be tuned in for the NBA Over/Unders. He does some things better than others.
(Describing Bill's Mom's dinner feast was a positive. Sounded delicious.)

i assume the Boogie Nights Rewatchables was Bill's last appearance as a regular. Sean & Chris will carry the torch as pseudo-permanent hosts

Not a fan of House doing Guess the Lines, but will be tuned in for the NBA Over/Unders. He does some things better than others.

"SHE MADE AN AMAZING CAESAR SALAD!!! ALL HOMEMADE!!! HOMEMADE DRESSING!!!"

:thumbdown:

i assume the Boogie Nights Rewatchables was Bill's last appearance as a regular. Sean & Chris will carry the torch as pseudo-permanent hosts

Sean and Chris are kinda crushing it right now with Glengarry Glen Ross. Wouldn't hate it full time.

"SHE MADE AN AMAZING CAESAR SALAD!!! ALL HOMEMADE!!! HOMEMADE DRESSING!!!"

:thumbdown:

What can I say, I'm a basic ***** sometimes.

No offense to you bud. Different strokes and all that. Guy just gives me a headache.

I generally like House :shrug:
I'm not a fan of House. I do like his friend who is a Yankee fan, I wish he was on more often. "Complex litigation, this is John."
:lmao:

I love that guy, too. I always chuckled that he would answer that way when, as somebody who has worked in law firms as well over that time period, I can say confidently that he knew who was calling (and didn't need the stock pickup).

I'm not a fan of House. I do like his friend who is a Yankee fan, I wish he was on more often. "Complex litigation, this is John."

I love that guy, too. I always chuckled that he would answer that way when, as somebody who has worked in law firms as well over that time period, I can say confidently that he knew who was calling (and didn't need the stock pickup).
The difference between House and Jack-O is that Jack-O doesn't try so hard just because he was on a podcast. He actually seemed relatable, and it was like two buddies talking sports or whatever. House is just too over the top and you can tell he is trying too hard to be funny/loud/controversial/whatever and it doesn't come off very well.

The difference between House and Jack-O is that Jack-O doesn't try so hard just because he was on a podcast. He actually seemed relatable, and it was like two buddies talking sports or whatever. House is just too over the top and you can tell he is trying too hard to be funny/loud/controversial/whatever and it doesn't come off very well.
I agree House has gotten more cartoonish since he became a regular contributor. He still doesn't bother me, though. The drunk House podcast was funny.

I couldn't imagine spending multiple days in a row with him, however. But he's likeable enough in small doses.

Last edited:

Shrager is just way too agreeable and doesn't ever seem to make a good point. Which is odd, because Shrager is good on other broadcasts and reportedly has a lot of inside information.

isn't House from MIlwaukee? or did he just go to school in Milwaukee?

having lived there a decade, and been surrounded by similar people, i'd have to guess this is just how he is and that's why Bill likes him. sure, he hams it up a bit but i bet he's 11x worse on a night out with some drinks in him.

having lived there a decade, and been surrounded by similar people, i'd have to guess this is just how he is and that's why Bill likes him. sure, he hams it up a bit but i bet he's 11x worse on a night out with some drinks in him.
Thought Bill and all his friends (House, Jack-O, etc.) attended Holy Cross together.

Thought Bill and all his friends (House, Jack-O, etc.) attended Holy Cross together.
i remembered that part, but thought he was from Milwaukee

turns out he's from the DC area.

House is like that friend who is a good guy when you get to know him but gets overly excitable and takes the joke too far or doesn't know when to stop. Sometimes I can't deal with him on the pod sometimes it's fine.

I like to think he's their Andre from the league

i remembered that part, but thought he was from Milwaukee

turns out he's from the DC area.
That's right. He's a big Commanders and Wizards fan.

The short version is that he's a faux intellectual.
Sort of like life coaches/motivational speakers? (In that they just say words with positive connotations but don't actually say ****?)
Like he either misunderstands some of the stuff he writes / talks about or distorts it to make a more compelling narrative. For example, that 10,000 hour thing he wrote about in Outliers (?) misrepresented the underlying research. Freakonomics did a podcast sort of calling him out on it a few years back.

Sort of like life coaches/motivational speakers? (In that they just say words with positive connotations but don't actually say ****?)
Like he either misunderstands some of the stuff he writes / talks about or distorts it to make a more compelling narrative. For example, that 10,000 hour thing he wrote about in Outliers (?) misrepresented the underlying research. Freakonomics did a podcast sort of calling him out on it a few years back.
Oh, interesting. Well, consider me duped and I'll have to listen to that podcast.

I get where you are coming from, but the writing and communication of most intellectuals kinda sucks. Gladwell's books are well written and easy to digest. I like his approach of 'try looking at things from this angle' and decide for yourself, not bombastically arguing one side.

I like Gladwell and Klosterman, but House grates on me. He always sounds like a drunk guy trying to talk while eating a meatball sub.
Me too. I think they are an entertaining listen. Always have interesting ways to look at things whether I agree with them or not.

Interesting. I've not been a big fan of Gladwell, but really love the Freakonomics guys. It seems like Gladwell has appeared on there as a contributor, I'd be interested in the podcast where they took him down a peg if you have a link.

Interesting. I've not been a big fan of Gladwell, but really love the Freakonomics guys. It seems like Gladwell has appeared on there as a contributor, I'd be interested in the podcast where they took him down a peg if you have a link.
Wow, gonna have to check the Freakonomics thing out. I really enjoy Gladwell, both his books and pods.

His take on the Panthers this week and all year have been hilarious. “I still believe in them. They’re 7.5 point underdogs this week to Cincy. It should be 3 so you’re getting a free 4.5 points!”

Panthers are down 35-0 at the half :lmao:

His take on the Panthers this week and all year have been hilarious. “I still believe in them. They’re 7.5 point underdogs this week to Cincy. It should be 3 so you’re getting a free 4.5 points!”

Panthers are down 35-0 at the half :lmao:
He’s really having a hard time taking the L on that one.

He is was a PROFESSIONAL writer. He talks for hours per week on a stupid podcast that offers nothing but distraction and yet has made him a fractional billionaire. And still, he can't be bothered to come up with correct words so he just uses "thing" in place of the correct word. He is MAYBE the laziest partial billionaire in history.

Advertisement: "....Let me tell you why I love it. We just had somebody two blocks away - we had a package stealer in our 'extended neighborhood' [:bored:], somebody who was going up and down...guess who caught him?! The person who had SimpliSafe cameras outside their house. Had a nice little screen shot of the guy and was sent to the neighborhood security thing. That dude got caught. SimpliSafe, whole home security blah blah blah"

I know I'd be convinced to spend hundreds of dollars per year so that pictures of my front porch could be sent to my neighborhood security thing. What a tool.

He is was a PROFESSIONAL writer. He talks for hours per week on a stupid podcast that offers nothing but distraction and yet has made him a fractional billionaire. And still, he can't be bothered to come up with correct words so he just uses "thing" in place of the correct word. He is MAYBE the laziest partial billionaire in history.

Advertisement: "....Let me tell you why I love it. We just had somebody two blocks away - we had a package stealer in our 'extended neighborhood' [:bored:], somebody who was going up and down...guess who caught him?! The person who had SimpliSafe cameras outside their house. Had a nice little screen shot of the guy and was sent to the neighborhood security thing. That dude got caught. SimpliSafe, whole home security blah blah blah"

I know I'd be convinced to spend hundreds of dollars per year so that pictures of my front porch could be sent to my neighborhood security thing. What a tool.
I think you are confusing his current millionaire laziness with how hard he worked to actually get to where he is. I give this guy a ton of credit for making a nitch for himself and going and getting it. He put in a lot of work to get where he is and now he is living off the empire he built. He may be lazy now because he can be but I wouldn't conisder him to be a guy that just lucked into his fortune. He definitely earned it.

I think you are confusing his current millionaire laziness with how hard he worked to actually get to where he is. I give this guy a ton of credit for making a nitch for himself and going and getting it. He put in a lot of work to get where he is and now he is living off the empire he built. He may be lazy now because he can be but I wouldn't conisder him to be a guy that just lucked into his fortune. He definitely earned it.
His writing was phenomenal back in the Page 2 days. I dislike his takes some times and think sometimes he's a bit arrogant while not realizing he doesn't know everything (I routinely listen to Guess the Lines and I genuinely believe I watch football and know the players better than they do), but I take no issue with his success nor find it "lucky" or anything.

His writing was phenomenal back in the Page 2 days. I dislike his takes some times and think sometimes he's a bit arrogant while not realizing he doesn't know everything (I routinely listen to Guess the Lines and I genuinely believe I watch football and know the players better than they do), but I take no issue with his success nor find it "lucky" or anything.
But I think that was part of what made him entertaining and good to read. He was not a talking head regurgitating obvious points. He had an opinion and shared it in an entertaining way. I am not a fan of any Boston teams but his writing from the fans perspective of those teams was great. You could identify with his fandom even if you weren't a fan of his teams. It was something fresh at the time and was great. The fact he earned his way up to where he got made me respect him a lot even if he spouted stuff I didn't agree with.

I believe much of his schtick with Cousin Sal is tongue in cheek with how over the top he goes sometimes so i don't get hung up on it. I think it is just their way of doing things and I take it for what it is........entertainment.

I do wish he would write again. That was definitely his best attribute.

Users who are viewing this thread