What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

the ball don't lie (1 Viewer)

... illegal grounding wiping out a "trying to concuss the QB" personal foul...
I was amazed they called grounding there. it might get called 4 more times all year. it was clearly grounding 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, according to the strict rules of BDL (as laid out by the guru Rasheed Wallace), Gano should have made the FG and the Broncos should have lost the game as payback for them getting away with so many illegal hits.

I just want to say that as a basketball official I HATE this phrase.

Dumb, dumb, dumb......

I just want to say that as a basketball official I HATE this phrase.

Dumb, dumb, dumb......
Genuinely curious: Why does it bother you so much?

I always just took it as a joke, on par with people invoking "karma" to explain why a team lost.

Yeah, according to the strict rules of BDL (as laid out by the guru Rasheed Wallace), Gano should have made the FG and the Broncos should have lost the game as payback for them getting away with so many illegal hits.

It was trumped by Carolinas incompetent use of time outs, especially before that challenge.  Cavalier stupidity always beats dirty.

I was amazed they called grounding there. it might get called 4 more times all year. it was clearly grounding 

I think you could make a case that the dude flying at his head caused him to short arm the throw away. Anyhow, i never understood how a 15 yard penalty can get wiped out by a 5 or 10 yard penalty. Personal fouls should be enforced regardless.

It was trumped by Carolinas incompetent use of time outs, especially before that challenge.  Cavalier stupidity always beats dirty.
OK, but that's not Ball Don't Lie, which says that events will counteract missed calls by officials. That's just losing because you screwed up.

I think you could make a case that the dude flying at his head caused him to short arm the throw away. Anyhow, i never understood how a 15 yard penalty can get wiped out by a 5 or 10 yard penalty. Personal fouls should be enforced regardless.
A 5 yard penalty will not offset a 15 yard penalty. The 15 yard penalty would be the one assessed.

But other penalties, 15 yard, 10 yards or spot fouls, will offset a 15 yarder.

Section 3

Fouls by Both Teams

DOUBLE FOUL WITHOUT CHANGE OF POSSESSION

Article 1

If there is a double foul (3-11-2-c) without a change of possession, the penalties are offset and the down is replayed at the previous spot. If it was a scrimmage down, the number of the next down and the necessary line is the same as for the down for which the new one is substituted.

15 YARDS VERSUS 5 YARDS

Exceptions:

(1) If one of the fouls is of a nature that incurs a 15-yard penalty and the other foul of a double foul normally would result in a loss of 5 yards only (15 yards versus 5 yards), the major penalty yardage is to be assessed from the previous spot.

See 4-8-2-c-Exc. 2 and 14-1-9-Exc. 2 for dead ball fouls at the end of a half.

Note: If a score occurs on a play that would normally involve a 5 vs. 15 yard enforcement, enforce the major penalty from the previous spot.

Genuinely curious: Why does it bother you so much?

I always just took it as a joke, on par with people invoking "karma" to explain why a team lost.
Because basketball players say it all the time and they really mean it.  One of their teamates will commit an obvious foul, they will look at you incredulously when the whistle blows, and then if the guy misses the first free throw they're like, "See..ball don't lie."  If the guy makes the 2nd free throw, I'll say "I guess it was a half a foul then huh."

The ball lies all the time.  I will even tell some players "the ball lies every time you make a jump shot, b/c your shot is ugly" or something to that effect.  Not in college or HS games but if I'm doing a pro-am or a rec league.  Its like when players yell "and one" when the shot didnt even go in and they didnt get fouled, the two requirements for creating an "and one" situation.  

I realize its a referee thing and most people don't care but its a stupid phrase that is one of my pet peeves. Because people really believe it and say it all the time as if it justifies their whining about calls they don't agree with or that go against them.

VaTerp said:
Because basketball players say it all the time and they really mean it.  One of their teamates will commit an obvious foul, they will look at you incredulously when the whistle blows, and then if the guy misses the first free throw they're like, "See..ball don't lie."  If the guy makes the 2nd free throw, I'll say "I guess it was a half a foul then huh."

The ball lies all the time.  I will even tell some players "the ball lies every time you make a jump shot, b/c your shot is ugly" or something to that effect.  Not in college or HS games but if I'm doing a pro-am or a rec league.  Its like when players yell "and one" when the shot didnt even go in and they didnt get fouled, the two requirements for creating an "and one" situation.  

I realize its a referee thing and most people don't care but its a stupid phrase that is one of my pet peeves. Because people really believe it and say it all the time as if it justifies their whining about calls they don't agree with or that go against them.
Ah, now I get it. So it's really about people not accepting calls that go against them, and then using BDL as "proof". (Which, now that I think of it, pretty much describes 'Sheed perfectly.)

Yup.  They really think it proves a foul wasnt committed.  So stupid considering the number of free throws that are missed on obvious fouls.  And I loved Sheed as a player but I have no doubt he really believes BDL.

But again, its a ref thing that probably doesnt bother 99% of people.

Users who are viewing this thread