What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****The 2019 Carolina Panthers Thread**** We Rhule At Losing (1 Viewer)

Even Hurney has admitted they werent analytical enough during his tenure. Didn't spend enough time on film. Got to attached personally to players. Claims he will.do it differently this time though. Kind of an old dog for new tricks.

By the way I have nothing personal against Hurney. Met him during my volunteer days when he was running a Pop Warner team. Nice guy. But we have years and years of history on him as Panthers GM and it doesn't inspire confidence.

Even Hurney has admitted they werent analytical enough during his tenure. Didn't spend enough time on film. Got to attached personally to players. Claims he will.do it differently this time though. Kind of an old dog for new tricks.

By the way I have nothing personal against Hurney. Met him during my volunteer days when he was running a Pop Warner team. Nice guy. But we have years and years of history on him as Panthers GM and it doesn't inspire confidence.
Sounds like he is shooting for the job permanently. 

I wish someone could get to JR and ask him why they let Beane walk?  Seems like another stupid move.

Sounds like he is shooting for the job permanently. 

I wish someone could get to JR and ask him why they let Beane walk?  Seems like another stupid move.
Yeah he was well liked by players and knew the plan. If this was in the works you do it before he bolts.

Yeah he was well liked by players and knew the plan. If this was in the works you do it before he bolts.
Personally I think he had an old man brain fart.  Just wasnt thinking clearly at the time.  The article in the Charlotte O says DG was totally and absolutely got by surprise as was everyone else in the organization.  2 years removed from Exec of year and the team is still without a President.    Would love to get Danny Morrison unfiltered take on the whole situation.  The dude was living the dream and just ups and quits.  More to the story.

Personally I think he had an old man brain fart.  Just wasnt thinking clearly at the time.  The article in the Charlotte O says DG was totally and absolutely got by surprise as was everyone else in the organization.  2 years removed from Exec of year and the team is still without a President.    Would love to get Danny Morrison unfiltered take on the whole situation.  The dude was living the dream and just ups and quits.  More to the story.
Yeah that is still an interesting question on Morrison's departure. Maybe more so now 

What is with all the drama? Hurney may be brought in as an interim. Interim. When he was the GM, Richardson is the one who gave him the ok on everything he did. Remember when DeAngelo said during the collective bargaining agreement that Jerry told him he would take care of him with a new contract? Hurney is the one who gave him the big contract, but Jerry is the one who was behind it. Another thing, Jerry has never been a fire happy owner. Do you think it is professional for him to announce to the media why he fired Gettleman? Is it everyone's business? The press and others are guessing at what happened, especially because of the bad timing. None of them know the real reason(s).
You got anything else to add because you have been spectacular wrong here.  Hurney firing a 20 year scouting vet is not a good look.  

pantherclub said:
What is with all the drama? Hurney may be brought in as an interim. Interim. When he was the GM, Richardson is the one who gave him the ok on everything he did. Remember when DeAngelo said during the collective bargaining agreement that Jerry told him he would take care of him with a new contract? Hurney is the one who gave him the big contract, but Jerry is the one who was behind it. Another thing, Jerry has never been a fire happy owner. Do you think it is professional for him to announce to the media why he fired Gettleman? Is it everyone's business? The press and others are guessing at what happened, especially because of the bad timing. None of them know the real reason(s).
You got anything else to add because you have been spectacular wrong here.  Hurney firing a 20 year scouting vet is not a good look.
I said Hurney may be brought in as an interim GM. How is that spectacular wrong? In the past, Jerry has never been fire happy, but he has fired some people including three coaches. All owners have to do some firing. Just because he fired Gettleman, and Hurney fired the scout doesn't change what I said. The scout, Koncz, had been promoted by Gettleman in May to be Director of Player Personnel. I guess Richardson or Hurney didn't think he was suited for that position.

I said Hurney may be brought in as an interim GM. How is that spectacular wrong? In the past, Jerry has never been fire happy, but he has fired some people including three coaches. All owners have to do some firing. Just because he fired Gettleman, and Hurney fired the scout doesn't change what I said. The scout, Koncz, had been promoted by Gettleman in May to be Director of Player Personnel. I guess Richardson or Hurney didn't think he was suited for that position.
It absolutely does and if you dont see that then I cannot help you.  Its pretty apparent actually but if you choose to wear blinders then so be it.

It absolutely does and if you dont see that then I cannot help you.  Its pretty apparent actually but if you choose to wear blinders then so be it.
It seems that one issue, and I would think there were several issues, the Big Cat had with Gettleman was over how he handled the players. I don't find it surprising that Koncz was let go since he was promoted by Gettleman to be the director of player personnel. They must have felt a clean slate was needed there. I don't think that makes Richardson "fire happy."

Yep. Sounds like the deal was already laid out and thank goodness Hurney/JR didn't decide against finishing it. I just want Norwell. That's all. I have a friend that played for the Panthers and knows Hurney and he didn't think that much of Star so I'm wondering if Hurney shares the same feeling.

Still upset because we were so well positioned for this year and I think everyone was on the same page with what went wrong last year. JR owns the team so what we think is pretty meaningless. I'm really worried about next year's draft.
I would like to see Norwell signed too. I'm not worried about next year's draft unless they keep Hurney on past Interim status. I agree with stratocatter that we are lucky to have Hurney around to fill in for the season. He knows the organization, and he says he has learned from past mistakes. Hopefully they find a great candidate to hire for GM next season. We shall see. I am interested in seeing how the offense will be this season, including if Cam can get those short passes out, and do it softly and accurately.

I would like to see Norwell signed too. I'm not worried about next year's draft unless they keep Hurney on past Interim status. I agree with stratocatter that we are lucky to have Hurney around to fill in for the season. He knows the organization, and he says he has learned from past mistakes. Hopefully they find a great candidate to hire for GM next season. We shall see. I am interested in seeing how the offense will be this season, including if Cam can get those short passes out, and do it softly and accurately.
Cam's ability to make those passes is going to be so crucial to what this offense should be designed for. Let those guys make a guy miss and run up the YAC. Makes our running game even more dangerous. Makes the long pass more dangerous. They could really have something if Cam.can be accurate, quick and apply some touch.

On the GM thing last thoughts.

I think Getts got screwed for doing his job. At this point Jerry has fired a guy for spending too much on older popular players. Now he has fired a guy for not rushing to overspend. A guy who was one season removed from Exec of the Year. But not much Hurney can do to mess this season up and to be fair he has drafted some good guys over the years. Still a very unhappy fan on this subject and I do think Richardson owes this fan base an explanation. Way more than that statement.

But unlikely to get it.

Camp is here. So let's enjoy a new season and hope there is no more drama for a while. Frankly sports is about escaping the drama. And we got truckloads of IRL drama, it's draining. So please let's not fire anyone for a while, thanks. And let's get rolling.

Keep Pounding

Everyone on the Atlanta bandwagon or just couldn't afford the $5 fan fest tix?
I was working. But I think charging for Fan Fest was a mistake. For some people the only time they could afford to even step in the stadium was Fan Fest. 5 isn't a lot but still it seems kind of greedy.

Lot of good stuff last night. Benjamin made a heck of a catch. McCaffrey was as advertised. Byrd had a big night. The starting D looked really good. KK getting off on the right foot. All in all not a bad start.

Lot of good stuff last night. Benjamin made a heck of a catch. McCaffrey was as advertised. Byrd had a big night. The starting D looked really good. KK getting off on the right foot. All in all not a bad start.
Byrd is fast.  Our makeshift oline looked good in the first qt.  Our d is going to be good.  Stewart looked like an old running back out there.   I wonder if we see Cam at all in the preseason?

Agreed.  First teams looked sharp.  I like McCaffrey's vision following his blockers between the tackles, and he hits a hole hard.  He didn't really get a chance to get the ball in the open field but I'm excited about what he's going to do there.  I'd love to see Byrd get a shot at the slot.  I know Samuel hasn't played yet but Byrd looks very confident with routes and catches in traffic.  

I hope V. Butler is okay.  The Dline looks stout.  

Vernon Butler knee injury not believed to be serious

Posted by Michael David Smith on August 10, 2017, 6:12 AM EDT

Panthers defensive tackle Vernon Butler exited Wednesday night’s preseason game with a knee injury, but it’s not believed to be serious.

The injury is thought to be “just a sprain,” according to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network.

Butler will have an MRI today, which the Panthers hope will confirm it’s not a long-term injury.

Vernon Butler knee injury not believed to be serious

Posted by Michael David Smith on August 10, 2017, 6:12 AM EDT

Panthers defensive tackle Vernon Butler exited Wednesday night’s preseason game with a knee injury, but it’s not believed to be serious.

The injury is thought to be “just a sprain,” according to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network.

Butler will have an MRI today, which the Panthers hope will confirm it’s not a long-term injury.
Hate he got hurt again. Hope they are right and its minor

Byrd is fast.  Our makeshift oline looked good in the first qt.  Our d is going to be good.  Stewart looked like an old running back out there.   I wonder if we see Cam at all in the preseason?
I would suspect they'll get him in at some point. But they won't rush him.

I was working. But I think charging for Fan Fest was a mistake. For some people the only time they could afford to even step in the stadium was Fan Fest. 5 isn't a lot but still it seems kind of greedy.
It was a zoo two years ago.  Doubt we'll go to another one.

So TD got his one year extension. Looks like it adds a little over 6 million with a little over 3 million guaranteed. He is quoted as saying this was pretty likely to be his last contract and that he intended to retire a Panther. The contract doesn't appear crazy over the top. Guy has been playing at a high level with a couple of Pro Bowls and so this seems like a reasonable pay day.

Last edited by a moderator:
The story of this game was the early turnovers. But there were bright spots. McCaffrey of course. CAP has looked good. The O-line has been good. Mayo played pretty well in AJs place. And we made a nice run at the win late. A mixed bag but hopefully we got something from it and will improve.

I wonder if Webb will move up to #2 QB. I know Webb didn't play last night, but he has looked good in his prior preseason games, and Derek has been struggling.

Great opening drive.  Hope the line can continue to block well for the running game.  Defense played solid.  Impressive pass rush too.  Although Worley was beaten a few times.  

D. Anderson just hasn't played well this preseason.  Not sure what's going on there.

CAP looks really good.  The local Panthers commentator (Mixon?) was talking about how CAP would end up on a roster somewhere, if not the Panthers roster.   :confused:   I don't see a scenario where they wouldn't keep him on the roster.  

I'm worried about Samuel.  I hope I'm wrong, but I just feel like he's going to be a bust.  Wish we'd went elsewhere with our second round pick.  

I like how Moton is progressing.  Think he's going to be a solid starter at some point.  Nice game last night by Zack Sanchez.  That pick was sick.  

Bradberry is going to be a star.  

And the quick check down to CMAC from Cam was a sight for sore eyes.  It's something we've been wanting Cam to do for years.  It should help him stay upright in the pocket more this year, which is nice.  

I wonder if Webb will move up to #2 QB. I know Webb didn't play last night, but he has looked good in his prior preseason games, and Derek has been struggling.
Webb is likely matured to the point where he may be playing at a peak level for him by now.

It is likely hard to tell from preseason play with him. His main issue was reading coverage and coverage is really basic in preseason. Has his accuracy improved?

He definitely has all the athletic tools you want for a QB. It has always been more the mental aspect of the game that needed to get better at. 

And this is exactly why Gettleman was great.  Hurley would have signed him to a huge extension after the Super Bowl.  Gentleman turns a 3rd into 2nd round pick in a trade for a player who gets cut.
I think the new deals with both Thomas and Olsen were fair on both sides.  I read today that the Panthers are getting some trade calls regarding Gano.  Webb was released today  :( I hope they get him on the practice squad.

Surprised they waived Webb.  I guess Palardy was the cheaper option at punter, but Andy Lee was great at pinning teams inside the 15.  Glad they kept Armah.  That guy is a truck coming out of the backfield.  

And this is exactly why Gettleman was great.  Hurley would have signed him to a huge extension after the Super Bowl.  Gentleman turns a 3rd into 2nd round pick in a trade for a player who gets cut.
Pretty much this...though I am happy to see Hurney was able to keep the train on the track DG had set regarding Olsen and Davis.  Making the layup is always better than bricking it.

Users who are viewing this thread