What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 100 Greatest Songs of 1982 #1. Little Red Corvette (1 Viewer)

OOooh, awesome. I get to come in and throw things. Preferably vases. Because this song reminds me of ****ty Hallmark cards and flowers after one party cheats on the other or something.

Okay, perhaps that's too drastic. This song is cheese and schmaltz.

I swear I hadn't read your write-up or even visually assessed it before I used the word "schmaltz."

This pick -- given that it's the first words from our lips -- might just be defined in that way.

OOooh, awesome. I get to come in and throw things. Preferably vases. Because this song reminds me of ****ty Hallmark cards and flowers after one party cheats on the other or something.

Okay, perhaps that's too drastic. This song is cheese and schmaltz.
I know people hate this song. Lol

97. The Fixx “Red Skies” (from Shuttered Room)

More New Wave goodness. “Red Skies Tonight”, which I always thought was the title of this song, was another of those tunes that was on the radio all the time in ‘82. Never exactly loved it but I didn’t turn it off, either. It’s OK.

Never understood the Fixx

wouldn't sniff my top 100

96. Joe Cocker & Jennifer Warnes “Up Where We Belong” (from the film soundtrack An Officer And A Gentleman)

For years I got this song confused with “I’ve Had (The Time of My Life)” also a medley with Jennifer Warnes, also from a film soundtrack. Although Cocker’s voice is pretty distinctive.
Hard to see the confusion there, but Warnes was definitely a big soundtrack contributor as a duet.

Beyond this and Dirty Dancing, she performed the title track to All The Right Moves (with Chris Thompson) and the Growing Pains theme song (with B.J. Thomas), among many others.

100. Translator “Everywhere That I’m Not” (from Heartbeats And Triggers)

This list will include some songs which might be termed “MTV hits”: songs that didn’t chart on Billboard’s top 100 (or at least not very high) but were a part of MTV’s rotation in the early years.

“Everywhere That I’m Not” is a good example of this: it was a very minor hit (though I do recall hearing it at the time on KROQ, the local alternative station) but it was often seen on early MTV. It has a jazzy groove and a memorable chorus, and it’s stayed with me all these years.
Don't remember this song. I would've thought they were an English band, but Google shows they're from San Francisco.

99. Daryl Hall & John Oates “Maneater” (from H20)

I’m a huge fan of late 70s, early 80s Hall and Oates: “She’s Gone”, “Rich Girl”, “You Make My Dreams Come True”, even “Kiss On My List”- all classics IMO. But at this point, when they have their biggest hits, they got too commercial for me.
I was a senior in high school in 82/83. This song was EVERYWHERE for several months. It was just meh for me and I soon got sick of hearing it. I just listened to it for the first time in maybe 30 years and I haven’t changed; Im still sick of it. Still belongs on the list, though.
Like Hall & Oates but this song blows.
I think they have better tunes, but I like it - especially the sax solo by Charlie DeChant.
Seemed the sax was a prominent instrument in 80s rock, Quarterflash, INXS, Eddie Money, Huey Lewis, etc.

97. The Fixx “Red Skies” (from Shuttered Room)

More New Wave goodness. “Red Skies Tonight”, which I always thought was the title of this song, was another of those tunes that was on the radio all the time in ‘82. Never exactly loved it but I didn’t turn it off, either. It’s OK.

Never understood the Fixx

wouldn't sniff my top 100
: Cy:

I have to admit that the only song I revisit from Scandal is The Warrior, but I remember Goodbye to You. Good song. I'll have to spin it later.

I have to admit that the only song I revisit from Scandal is The Warrior, but I remember Goodbye to You. Good song. I'll have to spin it later.
The Warrior is still a good song even if it was played to death. I vaguely remember Goodby to You but I was totally into hard rock by 82. It wasn’t possible to escape the really popular radio hits like the Warrior but some of these lesser hits are fuzzy to me.

99. Daryl Hall & John Oates “Maneater” (from H20)

I’m a huge fan of late 70s, early 80s Hall and Oates: “She’s Gone”, “Rich Girl”, “You Make My Dreams Come True”, even “Kiss On My List”- all classics IMO. But at this point, when they have their biggest hits, they got too commercial for me.
I was a senior in high school in 82/83. This song was EVERYWHERE for several months. It was just meh for me and I soon got sick of hearing it. I just listened to it for the first time in maybe 30 years and I haven’t changed; Im still sick of it. Still belongs on the list, though.
Like Hall & Oates but this song blows.
I think they have better tunes, but I like it - especially the sax solo by Charlie DeChant.
Seemed the sax was a prominent instrument in 80s rock, Quarterflash, INXS, Eddie Money, Huey Lewis, etc.
We have documented this extensively for @krista4

95. Scandal “Goodbye To You” (from Scandal)

Patty Smyth in a bright red dress, dancing and singing. Works for me. The video is pretty silly though.
Got a lot of play on MTV back in the day.

Patty Smyth in red is a great look, agree.

94. Madness “Our House” (from The Rise and Fall)

“Our House” wasn’t nearly the best song by this very underrated band, but it was their biggest hit and probably is the tune that they’re most remembered by: thanks in part to Allstate Insurance and other companies who have used it throughout the years.

What’s wild is Madness was in essence a one-hit wonder here in the States, but had a ton of hits in the UK. Good band. A lotta good songs, and always had entertainingly hilarious videos.

“Our House” wasn’t nearly the best song by this very underrated band, but it was their biggest hit and probably is the tune that they’re most remembered by: thanks in part to Allstate Insurance and other companies who have used it throughout the years.
Always wondered how kids play up downstairs.

What’s wild is Madness was in essence a one-hit wonder here in the States, but had a ton of hits in the UK. Good band. A lotta good songs, and always had entertainingly hilarious videos.
They always did seem like they were having fun doing what they do - good for them.

They always did seem like they were having fun doing what they do - good for them.
I always joke that their videos are ones the Monty Python crew would’ve made had they been a music group. Very silly, very funny, very British.

I always joke that their videos are ones the Monty Python crew would’ve made had they been a music group. Very silly, very funny, very British.
And that iconic pose

93. Culture Club “I’ll Tumble 4 Ya” (from Kissing To Be Clever)

The years 1982-1984 were a time of superstardom for Boy George. His androgynous appearance, featured constantly on MTV, overshadowed the simple fact that here was an amazing vocalist (with a sweet voice that resembled Smokey Robinson) and an immense presence and talent. Also the songs were light but terribly catchy.

The years 1982-1984 were a time of superstardom for Boy George. His androgynous appearance, featured constantly on MTV, overshadowed the simple fact that here was an amazing vocalist (with a sweet voice that resembled Smokey Robinson) and an immense presence and talent. Also the songs were light but terribly catchy.
Don't go in the Tucker thread!!!!!

Since it just became my number one in the world music countdown, I'll point out that they got their name from a 1963 ska song by Prince Buster called "Madness."

Link

eta* I'm listening to it. I've never gotten sick of this song somehow, even with the horns on the half beat. Just must soothe me or something. I love it.

eta2* "Our House" gets more appealing to me as I get older. I dig the song much more than I did when I was younger, and I had no problem with it then.

Or at least send your list before you go.

It’s been removed.

But I wouldn’t have gone in anyhow. Not safe for me.

92. Steve Winwood “Valerie” (from Talking Back To The Night)

Legendary blues rocker Steve Winwood sort of reinvented himself in the 80s with a series of pop hits. I suspect that, much like Heart (who also filled the 80s with pop hits and ballads), he isn’t too fond of this period, even if it made him more money than ever before.

Still, “Valerie” is a nice catchy pop song that is sung expertly. It may not be “Gimme Some Lovin’” or “Dear Mr. Fantasy”, but it’s good enough to make this list (on the low end.)

Legendary blues rocker Steve Winwood sort of reinvented himself in the 80s with a series of pop hits. I suspect that, much like Heart (who also filled the 80s with pop hits and ballads), he isn’t too fond of this period, even if it made him more money than ever before.

Still, “Valerie” is a nice catchy pop song that is sung expertly. It may not be “Gimme Some Lovin’” or “Dear Mr. Fantasy”, but it’s good enough to make this list (on the low end.)
This marked the beginning of Steve Winwood's biggest success as an artist in America, I have no idea what kind of artist you think he was, but he's been biting American R+B since he was 15 years old. This isn't Brian Eno over here, Americans accepting his version of their music was, I'm gonna guess, a very good memory for him.

I could have sworn this was later than ‘82 - indeed it was re-released and charted in ‘87 but originally released in ‘82. Kind of like Aerosmith with “Dream On.”

This marked the beginning of Steve Winwood's biggest success as an artist in America, I have no idea what kind of artist you think he was, but he's been biting American R+B since he was 15 years old. This isn't Brian Eno over here, Americans accepting his version of their music was, I'm gonna guess, a very good memory for him.
You may be right; I was making a guess based on his recent live special with Clapton. There was a bunch of Blind Faith songs (obviously) some Traffic, some Spencer Davis, but none of the 80s pop. But again it’s just a guess.

What's funny about Patty Smyth was that I was an MTV baby and had no idea of her more critically acclaimed past...just thought she had great pop tunes (on MTV).

The Warrior is a banger.

What's funny about Patty Smyth was that I was an MTV baby and had no idea of her more critically acclaimed past...just thought she had great pop tunes (on MTV).

The Warrior is a banger.
I think you may be confusing her with Patti Smith. Different artist altogether.

Users who are viewing this thread