What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 100 Greatest Songs of 1974 #18. September Gurls (12 Viewers)

59. America “Tin Man” (from Holiday)

I think this might be this band’s best written songs- this or “Ventura Highway.” Just great lyrics and melody.
The phrase "great lyrics" applied to the band America does not compute. Including the songs you mentioned. And I like their tunes.

79. Pilot “Magic” (from From the Album of the Same Name)

Always liked this tune but never loved it, somehow it has lasted now for over 50 years. Featured on weight loss commercials this last year so it’s even bigger than ever. (It really does sound like a commercial jingle.) The lead singer looks like a chipmunk.
Always liked this one - will always hold some status among one-hit pop wonders of the decade. That Ozempic commercial you mentioned definitely over killed it a bit, but good to see it make a comeback.
Looks like the New York Times has picked up on the "Magic"/Ozempic connection. Apologies if it's behind a firewall:

At the cardiology conference I was at this weekend, Ozempic/Wegovy ads were everywhere. One of my co-workers mentioned that “each time I see them I get that ELO song in my head.” I quickly interjected that she was confusing Magic with Strange Magic.

I think this might be this band’s best written songs- this or “Ventura Highway.” Just great lyrics and melody.
Those would be #1 and #2 of America songs for me. Dewey Bunnell was an incredible melodist … and a terrible lyricist.

Those would be #1 and #2 of America songs for me. Dewey Bunnell was an incredible melodist … and a terrible lyricist.
I’m more of a “Sandman” guy, but I’m a big fan of much of their material regardless.

Always liked this tune but never loved it, somehow it has lasted now for over 50 years. Featured on weight loss commercials this last year so it’s even bigger than ever. (It really does sound like a commercial jingle.) The lead singer looks like a chipmunk.
Always liked this one - will always hold some status among one-hit pop wonders of the decade. That Ozempic commercial you mentioned definitely over killed it a bit, but good to see it make a comeback.
Looks like the New York Times has picked up on the "Magic"/Ozempic connection. Apologies if it's behind a firewall:

At the cardiology conference I was at this weekend, Ozempic/Wegovy ads were everywhere. One of my co-workers mentioned that “each time I see them I get that ELO song in my head.” I quickly interjected that she was confusing Magic with Strange Magic.
It’s always critical to correct co-workers about all things music, but I give her credit for knowing ELO had a “Magic” song.

It’s always critical to correct co-workers about all things music, but I give her credit for knowing ELO had a “Magic” song.
She's as big into mellow '70s music as I am. She just doesn't have all the titles and artists memorized.

She's as big into mellow '70s music as I am. She just doesn't have all the titles and artists memorized.
I’ve heard of those people.

Ventura Highway is a great melody. Dewey Bunnell wrote some good tunes.

I think Sister Golden Hair ranks up there too.

I think Sister Golden Hair ranks up there too.
Will you meet Tim in the middle?

58. Shirley & Company “Shame, Shame, Shame” (released as a single)

Awesome early disco song. What a voice that dude has. This is good ****.

That dude is Jason Alvarez, who for years I thought was black until I saw the video.

Shirley, of course, was Shirley Goodman of Shirley and Lee that had the 50's hit "Let The Good Times Roll" and had a distinctive voice that was a bizarre mixture of both flat and sharp notes.

That dude is Jason Alvarez, who for years I thought was black until I saw the video.

Shirley, of course, was Shirley Goodman of Shirley and Lee that had the 50's hit "Let The Good Times Roll" and had a distinctive voice that was a bizarre mixture of both flat and sharp notes.
Surely you must know then that she had previously sang background vocals on Exile On Main Street: Let It Loose

Surely you must know then that she had previously sang background vocals on Exile On Main Street: Let It Loose
I had no idea. And that’s one of my favorite Stones tunes of all time.

57. Steely Dan “Pretzel Logic” (from Pretzel Logic)

Probably the closest thing this band ever got to a pure blues song…at least it starts out that way and then the usual jazz elements arrive. Love the sound here, keyboards especially.

Probably the closest thing this band ever got to a pure blues song…at least it starts out that way and then the usual jazz elements arrive. Love the sound here, keyboards especially.
Pretzel Logic is SD's most stylistically diverse album and probably its least consistent, but its high points, such as this one, reach very high.

Some of Becker and Fagen's most nonsensical lyrics appear in this song, which is saying something.

In 1974, Steely Dan went on their final tour before retiring from the road until 1993. Fagen hated being frontman and farmed out some of the lead vocal duties to other band members on this tour. For this song, some of the singing was taken by a guy that had been brought on to handle some of the keyboard and vocal load, a guy named Michael McDonald.

They closed those shows with a song that they never recorded and which is incredible. I will link it here since there's no way Tim has an unrecorded song on his list. This All Too Mobile Home I went to their "Rarities" show in NYC in 2010 for the express purpose of hearing this song, and indeed, they closed the show with it -- the first time it had been played since 1974.

Last edited:

Fantastic - one of my favorites by them. This would have been way, way up there for me in 1974, but just happy you picked it.

Fantastic - one of my favorites by them. This would have been way, way up there for me in 1974, but just happy you picked it.
And can't forget Timothy B. Schmit on background vocals.

They closed those shows with a song that they never recorded and which is incredible. I will link it here since there's no way Tim has an unrecorded song on his list. This All Too Mobile Home I went to their "Rarities" show in NYC in 2010 for the express purpose of hearing this song, and indeed, they closed the show with it -- the first time it had been played since 1974.
Was that NYC show among the series they played at the Beacon Theatre? If so, I went the night they played Aja in its entirely plus a bunch of other tunes. Mind blowing performance.

And can't forget Timothy B. Schmit on background vocals.
One year before "turn up the Eagles, the neighbors are listening." And three years before Schmidt joined the Eagles.

Was that NYC show among the series they played at the Beacon Theatre? If so, I went to the night they played Aja in its entirely plus a bunch of other tunes. Mind blowing performance.
Yes. It was like a 10-show run. The rarities show and three nights each devoted to The Royal Scam, Aja and Gaucho.

Pretzel Logic is SD's most stylistically diverse album and probably its least consistent, but its high points, such as this one, reach very high.

Some of Becker and Fagen's most nonsensical lyrics appear in this song, which is saying something.

In 1974, Steely Dan went on their final tour before retiring from the road until 1993. Fagen hated being frontman and farmed out some of the lead vocal duties to other band members on this tour. For this song, some of the singing was taken by a guy that had been brought on to handle some of the keyboard and vocal load, a guy named Michael McDonald.

Love this tune and this album (and this band). I doubt it's on this countdown so I can say Night By Night is a top five Steely Dan song for me (which is off this album). After this album Steely Dan was a 2 man + superfriends studio only affair.

Last edited:
After this album Steely Dan was a 2 man + superfriends studio only affair.
I may be in the minority amongst the rest of you heathens, but I think SD's recorded output got better (or, at least more consistent) once they realized who they really were. I like the first couple of albums a lot, but it felt like the pressure was off after deciding they didn't have to be a "band" for touring purposes.

I may be in the minority amongst the rest of you heathens, but I think SD's recorded output got better (or, at least more consistent) once they realized who they really were. I like the first couple of albums a lot, but it felt like the pressure was off after deciding they didn't have to be a "band" for touring purposes.
I'm with you on that for the most part. They went a bit overboard with the whole concept on Gaucho - the production quality became hyper perfect which somehow smoothed off too many of the appealing rough edges of music performance. I think they perfected their approach on Aja, there was a bit more humanity in the sound there while still being so well produced.

Love this tune and this album (and this band). I doubt it's on this countdown so I can say Night By Night is a top five Steely Dan song for me (which is off this album). After this album Steely Dan was a 2 man + superfriends studio only affair.
Night by Night is way up there for me as well.

I think there's some truth in that. They REALLY hated touring. However, I think Countdown to Ecstasy is one of their best albums, and it was written for the express purpose of being able to be played on tour -- it's by far their hardest-rocking record.

They came around in the '90s and later after venue PA systems got better and the jazz guys they needed to make their sound really work live agreed to be in their touring band because they could make more money doing that than playing on sessions, unlike in the '70s.

I'm with you on that for the most part. They went a bit overboard with the whole concept on Gaucho - the production quality became hyper perfect which somehow smoothed off too many of the appealing rough edges of music performance. I think they perfected their approach on Aja, there was a bit more humanity in the sound there while still being so well produced.
Agreed. I think they were just fried at that point and were kind of going through the motions. It's still a better "final" album than The Long Run, though.

I think there's some truth in that. They REALLY hated touring. However, I think Countdown to Ecstasy is one of their best albums, and it was written for the express purpose of being able to be played on tour -- it's by far their hardest-rocking record.

They came around in the '90s and later after venue PA systems got better and the jazz guys they needed to make their sound really work live agreed to be in their touring band because they could make more money doing that than playing on sessions, unlike in the '70s.
When you're touring with Jay & The Americans in the early '70s, I can see how that might turn you off of the whole experience :lol:

Agreed. I think they were just fried at that point and were kind of going through the motions. It's still a better "final" album than The Long Run, though.
I thought Gaucho took years for them to do partially because perfecting the sound/production quality had become an overriding fetish for them - they basically burned themselves out due to that.

About half of Gaucho is good, which is a MUCH higher hit rate than for The Long Run.

I thought Gaucho took years for them to do partially because perfecting the sound/production quality had become an overriding fetish for them - they basically burned themselves out due to that.
That, plus Walter Becker's raging coke habit, which he needed most of the '80s to overcome.

That, plus Walter Becker's raging coke habit, which he needed most of the '80s to overcome.
Yeah, he had a bad run for several years leading up to that album.

I don’t know - their material perhaps got more and more intricate (if that’s even possible), but that Can’t Buy a Thrill to Aja run, at least to me, is right up there with the best multi-album runs we’ve ever seen.

56. The Who “Pure and Easy” (from Odds and Sods)

Another Who tune previously unreleased but meant for Who’s Next. And this song is nearly as great as anything on that record which is pretty high praise from me. Not sure why it was left off in the first place.

56. The Who “Pure and Easy” (from Odds and Sods)

Another Who tune previously unreleased but meant for Who’s Next. And this song is nearly as great as anything on that record which is pretty high praise from me. Not sure why it was left off in the first place.
They had to cut stuff to make Who’s Next a single album. Why they dropped this (and Naked Eye) instead of Love Ain’t for Keeping, I have no idea.

I love the Warren Haynes Band cover of this. Yes, I know that's shocking.

55. Bad Company “Can’t Get Enough” (from Bad Company)

Bad Company was a fun hard rock supergroup in the mid-70s, churning out enjoyable catchy hits like this one which still has a presence on classic rock radio all these years later. Paul Rodgers has one of the great bluesy voices in popular music. Somehow though these guys never quite lived up to the promise; each of the bands they came from (Free, Mott the Hoople, King Crimson) produced better music.

55. Bad Company “Can’t Get Enough” (from Bad Company)

Bad Company was a fun hard rock supergroup in the mid-70s, churning out enjoyable catchy hits like this one which still has a presence on classic rock radio all these years later. Paul Rodgers has one of the great bluesy voices in popular music. Somehow though these guys never quite lived up to the promise; each of the bands they came from (Free, Mott the Hoople, King Crimson) produced better music.

Free was a hard act to follow in that they were as good or better musicians than Bad Company, but I digress.

Here is a live version of Can't Get Enough that is less commercial, a little more bluesy sounding and showing that Paul Rodgers could also play guitar.

54. Ozark Mountain Daredevils “Jackie Blue” (from It’ll Shine When It Shines)

Always thought this was one of the great ever names for a band! 1974 was a banner year for southern rock as will be seen again later here.

Always thought this was one of the great ever names for a band! 1974 was a banner year for southern rock as will be seen again later here.
Always liked this one a lot. It's like a cross between the Allmans and America.

Always liked this one a lot. Probably would have had this one pretty up there.

The Smashing Pumpkins did a pretty cool distorted cover of JB. Didn’t make the covers thread though.

Always liked this one a lot. It's like a cross between the Allmans and America.
They definitely had the southern-rock and country-rock things going on. And some of their album tracks have a bluegrass flavor to them. Their first two albums (this one is on the second) are both excellent.

Always liked this one a lot. Probably would have had this one pretty up there.
I had this in the top 10 in my 1975 countdown. It qualified for that year by my standards because it wasn't released as a single until 1975.

The Smashing Pumpkins did a pretty cool distorted cover of JB. Didn’t make the covers thread though.

I had forgotten about the existence of this. Love the fuzzed-out arrangement but not Billy's robotic-sounding vocals on the verses.

I had forgotten about the existence of this. Love the fuzzed-out arrangement but not Billy's robotic-sounding vocals on the verses.
Yeah, he’s not the most dynamic singer to begin with, but he sounds particularly flat there.

52. The Hollies “The Air That I Breathe” (from Hollies)

the Hollies sound like a little like ELO here trying to sound a little like the Beatles. And that’s a good thing, This is a memorable tune that makes you want to sing along. It’s also a bit of an earwig,.

51. Earth, Wind & Fire “Mighty Mighty” (from Open Our Eyes)

I really didn’t appreciate these guys enough in my younger days since their musical style wasn’t in my wheelhouse. But now I marvel every time I hear them. The skill and professionalism here is off the charts. Seriously there may have been no better musical group in the entire decade.

51. Earth, Wind & Fire “Mighty Mighty” (from Open Our Eyes)

I really didn’t appreciate these guys enough in my younger days since their musical style wasn’t in my wheelhouse. But now I marvel every time I hear them. The skill and professionalism here is off the charts. Seriously there may have been no better musical group in the entire decade.
They are the R&B Steely Dan. This became more apparent as the decade went on. I Am (1979) is basically the R&B Aja.

Users who are viewing this thread