What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 100 Greatest Songs of 1974 #14. Rebel Rebel (8 Viewers)

45. David Bowie “1984” (from Diamond Dogs)

Bowie had intended to use this song as a headline for a concert album/show about the Orwell novel, but he didn’t get the rights. The sound here is quite different from Bowie’s other music of the period; it seems heavily influenced by funk.

44. Average White Band “Pick Up the Pieces” (from AWB)

Who would have thunk it? One of the greatest funk instrumentals of all time would be written and performed by…a bunch of white dudes from Scotland? Go figure. But this is a timeless tune.

Who would have thunk it? One of the greatest funk instrumentals of all time would be written and performed by…a bunch of white dudes from Scotland? Go figure. But this is a timeless tune.
Somewhat of a correction: Steve Ferrone, drummer (who is fantastic and has played on tons of stuff throughout his career), is not a white dude. BUT for this song / album, the drummer was indeed a white dude: founding AWB member Robbie McIntosh, whom Ferrone replaced in the band soon after this song/album's release as McIntosh had died of a heroine overdose. Here's a pretty good article covering this song and the band.

In this, McIntosh lays down an all timer drum track.

Last edited:

Somewhat of a correction: Steve Ferrone, drummer (who is fantastic and has played on tons of stuff throughout his career), is not a white dude. BUT for this song / album, the drummer was indeed a white dude: Robbie McIntosh, whom Ferrone replaced in the band after McIntosh died of a heroine overdose.

Here, McIntosh lays down an all timer drum track.
He didn’t play on this track. This was the original drummer, Robbie McIntosh. He died of a heroin overdose soon after, and Ferrone replaced him.

Somewhat of a correction: Steve Ferrone, drummer (who is fantastic and has played on tons of stuff throughout his career), is not a white dude. BUT for this song / album, the drummer was indeed a white dude: Robbie McIntosh, whom Ferrone replaced in the band after McIntosh died of a heroine overdose.

Here, McIntosh lays down an all timer drum track.
He didn’t play on this track. This was the original drummer, Robbie McIntosh. He died of a heroin overdose soon after, and Ferrone replaced him.
See above edit.

46. Barry White “Can’t Get Enough of Your Love, Babe” (from Can’t Get Enough)

This was Barry White’s most famous song. Like the previous tune selected by this artist it begins with a spoken word soliloquy- Barry believes in lots of foreplay before the main event, and even then he makes it slow for you baby.
This song didnt turn you on as much? Last time you were ready for Barry to conquer you.

Btw I would have thought Love’s Theme was his signature, but maybe thats just me

46. Barry White “Can’t Get Enough of Your Love, Babe” (from Can’t Get Enough)

This was Barry White’s most famous song. Like the previous tune selected by this artist it begins with a spoken word soliloquy- Barry believes in lots of foreplay before the main event, and even then he makes it slow for you baby.
This song didnt turn you on as much? Last time you were ready for Barry to conquer you.

Btw I would have thought Love’s Theme was his signature, but maybe thats just me
My man love for Barry has not diminished.

47. Rush “Working Man” (from Rush)

As all Rush fans no doubt are aware, their debut album had quite a different sound than what made the band famous years later: Neil Peart wasn’t the drummer, and the music had more of a hard rock blues base than progressive art rock. That might be why I love this song so much- it might be my favorite Rush song. Lifeson’s guitar here sounds like Black Sabbath. I’m no expert on Rush, having only really listened to the hits and their most famous records, but have they ever rocked harder than this? Great stuff.
By far the best pre-Peart Rush song. It’s monstrous.
I assumed Working Man was from the late 70s, not 74. I bought the Working Man CD just for the title track in the 80s but lost it at some point. I don’t even remember any of the other tracks but should give it a listen again.

47. Rush “Working Man” (from Rush)

As all Rush fans no doubt are aware, their debut album had quite a different sound than what made the band famous years later: Neil Peart wasn’t the drummer, and the music had more of a hard rock blues base than progressive art rock. That might be why I love this song so much- it might be my favorite Rush song. Lifeson’s guitar here sounds like Black Sabbath. I’m no expert on Rush, having only really listened to the hits and their most famous records, but have they ever rocked harder than this? Great stuff.
By far the best pre-Peart Rush song. It’s monstrous.
I assumed Working Man was from the late 70s, not 74. I bought the Working Man CD just for the title track in the 80s but lost it at some point. I don’t even remember any of the other tracks but should give it a listen again.
There was no CD by that name in the '70s or '80s. The song first appeared on the band's self-titled debut album. There's an album called Working Men released in 2009 which is a compilation of tracks from the three live albums they released in the '00s. There is a tribute album by that name released in 1996.

43. Lynyrd Skynyrd “Call Me The Breeze” (from Second Helping)

Straight up country blues here with an awesome guitar riff. This is the sort of music I have loved probably more than any other all throughout my life.

43. Lynyrd Skynyrd “Call Me The Breeze” (from Second Helping)

Straight up country blues here with an awesome guitar riff. This is the sort of music I have loved probably more than any other all throughout my life.
By far my favorite Skynyrd song, and let's all applaud the musical genius of JJ Cale. Skynyrd took the original from JJ's standard bluesy awesomeness to this amazing tour d' force. Thanks Tim, time to put this on again and crank it up!

42. John Denver “Annie’s Song” (from Back Home Again)

I’ve always thought this song sounded a lot like Cat Stevens’ “Morning Has Broken”. As it turns out, both songs are derived from traditional Christian hymnal music which apparently Tchaikovsky also used for one of his concertos.

Anyhow it’s a gorgeous melody, though it certainly belongs in the 70s. The lyrics are either heartfelt or hilariously awful, depending on who you are.

Like, if you're going to listen to a song, today, you're going to reach for Annie's Song or Call Me The Breeze over Pick Up The Pieces? That might be my personal #1 from this year, and remains in heavy rotation in my listening mix to this day, so I'm biased. But still.

I’ve always thought this song sounded a lot like Cat Stevens’ “Morning Has Broken”. As it turns out, both songs are derived from traditional Christian hymnal music which apparently Tchaikovsky also used for one of his concertos.

Anyhow it’s a gorgeous melody, though it certainly belongs in the 70s. The lyrics are either heartfelt or hilariously awful, depending on who you are.
Yeah, this one doesn't hold up as well as some others, but I don't think most of his music does. As to your last line, it depends on if you are a hopeless romantic or a jaded cynic. I think at this point in most of our lives, the lyrics MAY qualify as hilariously awful

The luster is a bit lost because of what happened to him and Annie.

Denver and Martell divorced in 1982. In a 1983 interview shown in the documentary John Denver: Country Boy (2013), Denver said that career demands drove them apart; Martell said they were too young and immature to deal with Denver's sudden success. To drive home the point that their assets were being split in the divorce, he cut their marital bed in half with a chainsaw.[52]

The luster is a bit lost because of what happened to him and Annie.

Denver and Martell divorced in 1982. In a 1983 interview shown in the documentary John Denver: Country Boy (2013), Denver said that career demands drove them apart; Martell said they were too young and immature to deal with Denver's sudden success. To drive home the point that their assets were being split in the divorce, he cut their marital bed in half with a chainsaw.[52]
Yeah, jaded cynic. That's a power move though. Wish I had done that in a couple of my relationships.

My sister's wedding song when she got married in '88. The women had tears in their eyes, the guys had their eyes in the back of their head.

My mother loved that song.

sacrilege timmay

They should be in the RnR HoF if for no other reason than that intro

[Spoken Intro]

Hold on, this song has a little introduction to it
It's ain't supposed to be sad though you might feel it that way
It's a song about desperation
Every now and then we do get desperate

This is a song about L-O-V-E
And if you abuse it you're gonna lose it
And if you lose it you're gonna abuse and
If you abuse it you ain't gonna be able to choose it
Cuz you ain't gonna have it further on down the line
Things ain't gonna be so fine
You're gonna to be sitting there on your little machine
Tryin' to look and keep it clean
You're going to be home playing bingo all night all alone
That's why your sittin' there by the telephone
And you know that she ain't goin' to call you!

So you put on the TV and you're watchin' Johnny Carson
Segwayin' right into the Tomorrow show
But that don't got the go, so you turn it off ya turn on the radio
The radio don't seem to get the click so you say
"Hey Man, I can't lickety split"
You start to open up a little book
And there's somethin there you got to overlook
And you say "BABY, you know there's somethin on my mind!
You say "Baby there's somethin' on my mind -
I know that you're home and I know you ain't all alone!"

So you start walking over to her house
And you get over to her house
And you walk over to her door
You start poundin' on her door, you say
"Open up the door, *****!
This is wooba gooba with the green teeth, let me in!"

Well, she opens up the door
And then you just kinda walk up to her and say
"Baby", you look up way up at her green mascara
And you say "Oh my darling
You know her and me was at the party as friends
Do not believe what they say
That's only gossip that they tellin' ya
A wise cracker line!"
You say "Darlin'!"

Take your big curls and just squeeze them down Ratumba
What's the name of the chick with the long hair?
(Rapunzel!) Ya say "Hey Rapunzel!" Heh heh heh
Hey Reputah! Reputa the Beautah!
Hey Reputa the Beautah, flip me down your hair
And let me climb up to the ladder of your love!
Because this is what woofa goofa's sayin to ya
"Love comes once and when it comes
You've got to grab it fast cuz sometimes the love
You grab ain't gonna last and
I believe I musta
You know I think I musta
You know baby I think I musta
You know I think I musta
I musta got lost!"

Hey reputa

41. Jethro Tull “Bungle In the Jungle” (from War Child)

Such a unique sounding band. I seem to love just about everything these guys did in those days. Including this tune.
Written at the last minute because Chrysalis execs didn’t hear a single among the War Child material.

Because of that, it is not one of Ian Anderson’s favorites and Tull rarely plays it live.

I had some John Denver records (though not this one) and I would hide them when my friends came over :lol:
"Take Me Home, Country Roads" has had quite the resurgence in recent months/years, particularly in college arenas. Not quite at the level of "Sweet Caroline" but it's out there quite a bit.

I had some John Denver records (though not this one) and I would hide them when my friends came over :lol:
"Take Me Home, Country Roads" has had quite the resurgence in recent months/years, particularly in college arenas. Not quite at the level of "Sweet Caroline" but it's out there quite a bit.
The Germans sing the hell out of it when the NFL plays there.
I've never visited, but in my mind nothing screams Germany like "John Denver sings 'Take Me Home, Country Road'". Hopefully they do this back to back with some Scorpions. I'll bet that combo really fires up a crowd.

The Germans sing the hell out of it when the NFL plays there.
I've never visited, but in my mind nothing screams Germany like "John Denver sings 'Take Me Home, Country Road'". Hopefully they do this back to back with some Scorpions. I'll bet that combo really fires up a crowd.

John Denver's real last name was Deutschendorf, so it makes sense on some level.

40. Kraftwerk “Autobahn” (from Autobahn)

Probably the most influential song on this list, as this and other songs by this band set the stage for the electronic explosion that would dominate so much of the next decade of popular music. The link is to the full, 22 minute version, though there was a 3 minute version also released. Majestic, yet also catchy.

Probably the most influential song on this list,
Maybe, but probably not.
While it stood out, it was always gimmicky…sort of like Popcorn.
It definitely gave the band a roadmap of what they wanted to do

It was however 1976s Radioaktivity that was far more influential. Followed up by 1977s Trans Europe Express.
These two albums, with singles of the same name, set the ball rolling to influence electronic music for the next 45 years
First Bowie and Eno on Low, then on the synth pop/new wave movement of the late 70s, early 80s

From Clashmusic
Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark were one of the earlier groups to be directly influenced by Kraftwerk, but the importance of Dusseldorf’s finest electro pioneers spans four decades and almost all new popular music since 1975. Synthpop, House, Techno, Rave, Hip Hop, Drum and Bass, Chillout, Trance, Acid, Industrial, EBM, Dubstep, Grime, Glitch. From the PSBs, Grace Jones and Britney, to Black Eyed Peas, Kanye and Beyonce. (Forget the rapping and soul voices. The music is all programmed) The list is almost endless. And if you think that it’s only electronic music that they influenced, ask a recording engineer how Mumford and Sons and Arctic Monkeys recorded their last albums. I will bet that it was on Protools not tape! We are in the Computer World. Sorry, that’s a different album, but it all began with Radioactivity.
Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark were clearly in thrall to Kraftwerk when Factory released their debut single 'Electricity' and – some thirty years later – the band remain a key touchstone. Founding member Andy McCluskey explains why.
– – –
If Kraftwerk's 'Autobahn' single was the 'Eureka' moment that made the teenage Andy McCluskey and Paul Humphreys first begin to think about making electronic music, the 'Radioactivity' album would become our bible, hymn book and manifesto all in one. This was a new type of popular music: no longer based in Anglo American blues tradition or guitar hero cliches. It was a conceptual art project in the form of a pop record.
From positive-feedback.com
Every, and I mean every, techno, house, dance, club music etc. artist owes their existence to Kraftwerk as do bands like New Order, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Daft Punk and countless others—a fact most of them have readily admitted. Two Kraftwerk songs alone, "Numbers" and "Trans Europe Express," set the rhythmic template for much of hip-hop. (The 1982 hip-hop smash "Planet Rock" by Afrika Bambaataa and the Soul Sonic Force stole from both, which was later resolved in a settlement.) Their all-electronic sound was radical, literally unheard of in the 1970s in an era when guitars and strutting rock stars dominated rock music.

39. Randy Newman “Rednecks” (from Good Old Boys)

College men from LSU, went in dumb come out dumb too

Here’s one tune on this list that I doubt was ever played on the radio. And it’s not a song you’re going to be eager to sing along to. (In fact Newman stopped playing it in concert because fans were a little too eager to sing along with him.) But it’s a brilliant and savage satire. Newman lays waste to the South (where he is from) but then also skewers the rest of the country for its hypocrisy in looking down at southerners for racism while setting up segregated areas in most northern cities. All set to a New Orleans barrellhouse blues melody.

Maybe, but probably not.

It was however 1976s Radioaktivity that was far more influential. Followed up by 1977s Trans Europe Express.
These two albums, with singles of the same name, set the ball rolling to influence electronic music for the next 45 years
First Bowie and Eno on Low, then on the synth pop/new wave movement of the late 70s, early 80s

From Clashmusic
Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark were one of the earlier groups to be directly influenced by Kraftwerk, but the importance of Dusseldorf’s finest electro pioneers spans four decades and almost all new popular music since 1975. Synthpop, House, Techno, Rave, Hip Hop, Drum and Bass, Chillout, Trance, Acid, Industrial, EBM, Dubstep, Grime, Glitch. From the PSBs, Grace Jones and Britney, to Black Eyed Peas, Kanye and Beyonce. (Forget the rapping and soul voices. The music is all programmed) The list is almost endless. And if you think that it’s only electronic music that they influenced, ask a recording engineer how Mumford and Sons and Arctic Monkeys recorded their last albums. I will bet that it was on Protools not tape! We are in the Computer World. Sorry, that’s a different album, but it all began with Radioactivity.
Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark were clearly in thrall to Kraftwerk when Factory released their debut single 'Electricity' and – some thirty years later – the band remain a key touchstone. Founding member Andy McCluskey explains why.
– – –
If Kraftwerk's 'Autobahn' single was the 'Eureka' moment that made the teenage Andy McCluskey and Paul Humphreys first begin to think about making electronic music, the 'Radioactivity' album would become our bible, hymn book and manifesto all in one. This was a new type of popular music: no longer based in Anglo American blues tradition or guitar hero cliches. It was a conceptual art project in the form of a pop record.
Every, and I mean every, techno, house, dance, club music etc. artist owes their existence to Kraftwerk as do bands like New Order, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Daft Punk and countless others—a fact most of them have readily admitted. Two Kraftwerk songs alone, "Numbers" and "Trans Europe Express," set the rhythmic template for much of hip-hop. (The 1982 hip-hop smash "Planet Rock" by Afrika Bambaataa and the Soul Sonic Force stole from both, which was later resolved in a settlement.) Their all-electronic sound was radical, literally unheard of in the 1970s in an era when guitars and strutting rock stars dominated rock music.
The guys in Kraftwerk built a lot of their equipment from scratch, because what they wanted didn't exist at the time. I like their 80's songs better as I think they're more musical than their 70's experiments, but their influence, particularly their 70's work, on modern music is really difficult to overstate.

Somewhat of a correction: Steve Ferrone, drummer (who is fantastic and has played on tons of stuff throughout his career), is not a white dude. BUT for this song / album, the drummer was indeed a white dude: founding AWB member Robbie McIntosh, whom Ferrone replaced in the band soon after this song/album's release as McIntosh had died of a heroine overdose. Here's a pretty good article covering this song and the band.

In this, McIntosh lays down an all timer drum track.
Crazy read

Maybe, but probably not.

From Clashmusic
– – –
The guys in Kraftwerk built a lot of their equipment from scratch, because what they wanted didn't exist at the time. I like their 80's songs better as I think they're more musical than their 70's experiments, but their influence, particularly their 70's work, on modern music is really difficult to overstate.
I've posted this before in other threads, but worth mentioning here again, this BBC documentary Synth Britannica spends a few minutes covering Kraftwerk and their influence at the beginning of this show.

38. Elton John “The ***** Is Back” (from Caribou)

One of Elton’s harder rock songs. I always really enjoyed this. Good rock and roll.
This song is better at being the Stones in 1974 than the Stones were.

37. Queen “Now I’m Here” (from Sheer Heart Attack)

One of this band’s hardest rockers ever, with Brian May leading the way. If you love loud guitar driven rock (and who reading this doesn’t?) you won’t get much better.

One of this band’s hardest rockers ever, with Brian May leading the way. If you love loud guitar driven rock (and who reading this doesn’t?) you won’t get much better.
I love the rockers by Queen and May’s guitar tone. It doesn’t hurt to have Mercury as a vocalist either.

Big fan, although as with Brighton Rock, the Live Killers version blows the studio version out of the water IMO.

36.Nazareth “Love Hurts” (from Hair of the Dog)

This cover of “Love Hurts” (which was originally recorded by The Everly Brothers in 1960 and has been sung by many artists over the years) is, I believe, the definitive version, mostly because of Dan McCafferty’s vocal styling, high pitched and bluesy (a little like AC/DC’s two lead singers.) I’ve always enjoyed this tune, and THIS is the version I want to listen to.

It’s kind of interesting that 1974 offered two hit covers of Everly Brothers songs (the other being “When Will I Be Loved” by Linda Ronstadt) It must have been a profitable year to be an Everly.

This cover of “Love Hurts” (which was originally recorded by The Everly Brothers in 1960 and has been sung by many artists over the years) is, I believe, the definitive version, mostly because of Dan McCafferty’s vocal styling, high pitched and bluesy (a little like AC/DC’s two lead singers.) I’ve always enjoyed this tune, and THIS is the version I want to listen to.

It’s kind of interesting that 1974 offered two hit covers of Everly Brothers songs (the other being “When Will I Be Loved” by Linda Ronstadt) It must have been a profitable year to be an Everly.
First, I didn't know this was an Everly Brothers song, but imaging this version done that way doesn't work. That said, they were great songwriters. Second, this MAY have been the origins of the power rock ballad. Then again, I may be wrong. Either way, this is such great song and I wouldn't mind seeing it much higher on your list (pending the rest of the countdown).

I haven't heard a version of this I didn't at least like. I think I'd rank the Big Three as 1) original, 2) Gram/Emmylou, 3) Nazareth. But all are fine in their own ways.

This Nazareth album kicked all kinds of ***.

Not for Love Hurts, it wasn't, as they did not write the song, that was penned by Boudleaux Bryant, so they didn't get a penny from Nazareth's version

The song had been written by Bryant for them and they recorded it, but per Wiki:

Due to a falling out with their manager and publisher Wesley Rose, they were prevented from issuing it as a single, though it had been meant for them.

Last edited:

Not for Love Hurts, it wasn't as they did not write the song, that was penned by Boudleaux Bryant, so they didn't get a penny from Nazareth's version

The song had been written by Bryant for them and they recorded it, but per Wiki:

Due to a falling out with their manager and publisher Wesley Rose, they were prevented from issuing it as a single, though it had been meant for them.
Ah didn’t see that, thx

Give me Gram Parsons and Emmylou Harris

Users who are viewing this thread