What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 100 Greatest Songs of 1974 #7. Rock Your Baby (20 Viewers)

35. Gordon Lightfoot “Carefree Highway” (from Sundown)

Songs like this are a big reason why Lightfoot belongs among singer-songwriter royalty. Someday I’m going to have to do a list of the 100 greatest early 70s singer songwriter tunes, and this is sure to be on it somewhere. One of my favorite genres of music.

Songs like this are a big reason why Lightfoot belongs among singer-songwriter royalty. Someday I’m going to have to do a list of the 100 greatest early 70s singer songwriter tunes, and this is sure to be on it somewhere. One of my favorite genres of music.
Until well into adulthood, I thought he was singing "Every highway". :laugh:

36.Nazareth “Love Hurts” (from Hair of the Dog)

This cover of “Love Hurts” (which was originally recorded by The Everly Brothers in 1960 and has been sung by many artists over the years) is, I believe, the definitive version, mostly because of Dan McCafferty’s vocal styling, high pitched and bluesy (a little like AC/DC’s two lead singers.) I’ve always enjoyed this tune, and THIS is the version I want to listen to.

It’s kind of interesting that 1974 offered two hit covers of Everly Brothers songs (the other being “When Will I Be Loved” by Linda Ronstadt) It must have been a profitable year to be an Everly.
I haven't heard a version of this I didn't at least like. I think I'd rank the Big Three as 1) original, 2) Gram/Emmylou, 3) Nazareth. But all are fine in their own ways.

This Nazareth album kicked all kinds of ***.
It’s really a great album.

As with so many other tunes, I typically think of Dazed and Confused when I hear this.
I was an incoming HS freshman in the summer of '76. This film isn't far off of what a day could be like then.

Gordon had an interesting way of enunciating.

Always liked this one a lot.

As with so many other tunes, I typically think of Dazed and Confused when I hear this.
I was an incoming HS freshman in the summer of '76. This film isn't far off of what a day could be like then.
The biggest difference between the film and my experience is that I don't recall guys chasing around future 9th graders with paddles on the last day of school. No, we'd get the hazing stuff once school started back up. Upperclassmen would do dumb **** like push kids into lockers or trip them in the cafeteria. But, like the film, the bullies were always the jocks - always. And most of them were the white-flight guys from suburban D.C. Everyone else got along for the most part. It was a rural area and most families had been there for generations, so everyone knew everyone else and families would get involved if things got out of hand.

My senior year I got talked into volunteering for freshman orientation. We'd show the in-coming freshmen around the school, how things worked, etc....We didn't mess with them, though - too much :lol:

This cover of “Love Hurts” (which was originally recorded by The Everly Brothers in 1960 and has been sung by many artists over the years) is, I believe, the definitive version, mostly because of Dan McCafferty’s vocal styling, high pitched and bluesy (a little like AC/DC’s two lead singers.) I’ve always enjoyed this tune, and THIS is the version I want to listen to.

It’s kind of interesting that 1974 offered two hit covers of Everly Brothers songs (the other being “When Will I Be Loved” by Linda Ronstadt) It must have been a profitable year to be an Everly.
https://bvmsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/11/Love-Hurts-Credit-@NFL-Twitter.jpg :football:

Maybe some folks still thought that until they read this post. doh

My Hall of Fame of early 70s singer-songwriters:

Jackson Browne
Harry Chapin
Jim Crowe
John Denver
Bob Dylan
Carole King
Gordon Lightfoot
Don McLean
Joni Mitchell
Carly Simon
Paul Simon
Cat Stevens
James Taylor
Bill Withers
Neil Young

Am I missing anyone?

ETA- duh, Bob Dylan

Last edited:

Jackson Browne
Harry Chapin
Jim Crowe
John Denver
Carole King
Gordon Lightfoot
Don McLean
Joni Mitchell
Carly Simon
Paul Simon
Cat Stevens
James Taylor
Bill Withers
Neil Young

Am I missing anyone?
Stevie Wonder
Curtis Mayfield
OK if you define an artist as a singer songwriter IF he writes and sings his own music then sure.

But I’m using the term “early 70s singer-songwriter” to mean mostly acoustic folky sounding music of the era with introspective personal themes. So I don’t think those artists you named apply.

I thought it was "Every Highway" until I read your post.
I've heard this song sooo many times as a kid. My parents had control of the car radio and due to the Canadian Content rules, stations played a lot of Gordon Lightfoot and Anne Murray songs. If I ever heard the DJ say the name of this song I must have blocked it out.

Jackson Browne
Harry Chapin
Jim Crowe
John Denver
Bob Dylan
Carole King
Gordon Lightfoot
Don McLean
Joni Mitchell
Carly Simon
Paul Simon
Cat Stevens
James Taylor
Bill Withers
Neil Young

Am I missing anyone?

ETA- duh, Bob Dylan
Stephen Stills

Jackson Browne
Harry Chapin
Jim Crowe
John Denver
Bob Dylan
Carole King
Gordon Lightfoot
Don McLean
Joni Mitchell
Carly Simon
Paul Simon
Cat Stevens
James Taylor
Bill Withers
Neil Young

Am I missing anyone?

ETA- duh, Bob Dylan
Stephen Stills
Neil Diamond
Neil for sure.

Stephen Stills no. I love him but as a solo artist he doesn’t have enough singer/songwriter hits to make the Hall of Fame. His CSN stuff doesn’t count.

Jackson Browne
Harry Chapin
Jim Crowe
John Denver
Bob Dylan
Carole King
Gordon Lightfoot
Don McLean
Joni Mitchell
Carly Simon
Paul Simon
Cat Stevens
James Taylor
Bill Withers
Neil Young

Am I missing anyone?

ETA- duh, Bob Dylan
Randy Newman?

Jackson Browne
Harry Chapin
Jim Crowe
John Denver
Bob Dylan
Carole King
Gordon Lightfoot
Don McLean
Joni Mitchell
Carly Simon
Paul Simon
Cat Stevens
James Taylor
Bill Withers
Neil Young

Am I missing anyone?

ETA- duh, Bob Dylan
Randy Newman?
Probably my favorite ans he will make another appearance on this 1974 list. But no hits. You got have a least a hit or two to be in a hall of fame. Newman’s only hit in the 70s was “Short People” and that was 1977, past the era in question.

Jackson Browne
Harry Chapin
Jim Crowe
John Denver
Bob Dylan
Carole King
Gordon Lightfoot
Don McLean
Joni Mitchell
Carly Simon
Paul Simon
Cat Stevens
James Taylor
Bill Withers
Neil Young

Am I missing anyone?

ETA- duh, Bob Dylan
Stephen Stills
Neil Diamond
Neil for sure.

Stephen Stills no. I love him but as a solo artist he doesn’t have enough singer/songwriter hits to make the Hall of Fame. His CSN stuff doesn’t count.
Why not?

Jackson Browne
Harry Chapin
Jim Crowe
John Denver
Bob Dylan
Carole King
Gordon Lightfoot
Don McLean
Joni Mitchell
Carly Simon
Paul Simon
Cat Stevens
James Taylor
Bill Withers
Neil Young

Am I missing anyone?

ETA- duh, Bob Dylan
Stephen Stills
Neil Diamond
Neil for sure.

Why not?
I was just considering individual artists, not groups.

Jackson Browne
Harry Chapin
Jim Crowe
John Denver
Bob Dylan
Carole King
Gordon Lightfoot
Don McLean
Joni Mitchell
Carly Simon
Paul Simon
Cat Stevens
James Taylor
Bill Withers
Neil Young

Am I missing anyone?

ETA- duh, Bob Dylan
Stephen Stills
Neil Diamond
Neil for sure.

Why not?
You're deep within the Wenner Paradox.

Also, I'm really surprised to learn that Joni & Simon didn't work with other musicians.

Jackson Browne
Harry Chapin
Jim Crowe
John Denver
Bob Dylan
Carole King
Gordon Lightfoot
Don McLean
Joni Mitchell
Carly Simon
Paul Simon
Cat Stevens
James Taylor
Bill Withers
Neil Young

Am I missing anyone?

ETA- duh, Bob Dylan
Stephen Stills
Neil Diamond
Neil for sure.

Why not?
You're deep within the Wenner Paradox.

Also, I'm really surprised to learn that Joni & Simon didn't work with other musicians.
Yes I get that. The “solo album” is a myth. But so is the whole “early 70s singer songwriter” category. But it’s a myth that’s lasted.

I wasn't old enough to be buying records in 1974, but I do remember twiddling the radio knobs to hear these songs,

Billy Don't Be A Hero - Bo Donaldson
Whatever Gets You Through The Night - John Lennon
Roll On Down The Highway - BTO 🚛
Longfellow Serenade - Neil Diamond
Magic - Pilot
The Night Chicago Died - Paper Lace
Some Kind Of Wonderful - Grand Funk
You're My First - Barry White
Fox On The Run - Sweet
Jackie Blue - OMD
Waterloo - ABBA
Roll Away The Stone - Mott The Hoople
1984 - David Bowie
Pick Up The Pieces - AWB
Call Me The Breeze - Lynyrd Skynyrd
Carefree Highway 🛣️ - Gordon Lightfoot

I wasn't old enough to be buying records in 1974, but I do remember twiddling the radio knobs to hear these songs,

Billy Don't Be A Hero - Bo Donaldson
Whatever Gets You Through The Night - John Lennon
Roll On Down The Highway - BTO 🚛
Longfellow Serenade - Neil Diamond
Magic - Pilot
The Night Chicago Died - Paper Lace
Some Kind Of Wonderful - Grand Funk
You're My First - Barry White
Fox On The Run - Sweet
Jackie Blue - OMD
Waterloo - ABBA
Roll Away The Stone - Mott The Hoople
1984 - David Bowie
Pick Up The Pieces - AWB
Call Me The Breeze - Lynyrd Skynyrd
Carefree Highway 🛣️ - Gordon Lightfoot
I was 12. I'm almost positive I didn't have Bowie or Mott from that list, but I think I owned all of the rest at one point or another (I'm sure I didn't get the Skynyrd LP until a couple of years later). BTO, GFR, & Sweet I had on albums and not 45s. My mom had the Diamond album, so that half-counts. I think the rest I bought as current singles.

One of my favorite lyrics of all time …

Now the thing that I call living
Is just being satisfied
With knowing I got no one left to blame

34. Jimmy Buffett “A Pirate Looks At Forty” (from A1A)

Of all the songs I’ve listened to from this artist (and that generally means the hits) I think this is probably the best one. I can see why thousands of concert goers over the years would love to sing along to this: the attraction is undeniable.

Of all the songs I’ve listened to from this artist (and that generally means the hits) I think this is probably the best one. I can see why thousands of concert goers over the years would love to sing along to this: the attraction is undeniable.
One of my favorite Buffett songs is Delaney talks to Statues. I was completely unaware of this song until after my daughter was born (she is named Delaney) and someone brought it to my attention. It's a catchy song and probably has more significance to me having a daughter named Delaney.

33. Ace “How Long” (from Five A Side)

This soul classic was Paul Carrick’s first hit. For those who might recognize the name, Carrick is one of the all time great soul vocalists- he was the lead singer for Squeeze on the song “Tempted”, and the lead singer for Mike + The Mechanics. This early effort is emblematic of his style.

One of my favorite Buffett songs is Delaney talks to Statues. I was completely unaware of this song until after my daughter was born (she is named Delaney) and someone brought it to my attention. It's a catchy song and probably has more significance to me having a daughter named Delaney.
Just listened- not bad at all!

This soul classic was Paul Carrick’s first hit. For those who might recognize the name, Carrick is one of the all time great soul vocalists- he was the lead singer for Squeeze on the song “Tempted”, and the lead singer for Mike + The Mechanics. This early effort is emblematic of his style.
You'd think this song is about someone's lover having an affair. But it's not. Carrack wrote it about Ace's bass player joining another band while remaining in Ace but not telling the other members.

Paul Carrack also had a great career as a solo artist. Great voice as heard on "Don’t Shed A Tear". https://youtu.be/LJ4wa-432xQ?si=xfD4SvGLseyvYc9m

Love the simple intro. Like For What It's Worth or Colour My World, an intro doesn't have to be over complicated to be perfect.

Paul Carrack also had a great career as a solo artist. Great voice as heard on "Don’t Shed A Tear". https://youtu.be/LJ4wa-432xQ?si=xfD4SvGLseyvYc9m
Classic that holds up great today.

32. The Rolling Stones “Ain’t Too Proud to Beg” (from It’s Only Rock ‘N’ Roll)

The Stones transform a soul classic into a rock classic. I love the video too: Mick looks scary in makeup, Bill sneers at the camera, Mick Taylor does his best to earnestly sing along, Keith hitches his shoulder like an alley cat, and Charlie just seems bored by it all.

The Stones transform a soul classic into a rock classic. I love the video too: Mick looks scary in makeup, Bill sneers at the camera, Mick Taylor does his best to earnestly sing along, Keith hitches his shoulder like an alley cat, and Charlie just seems bored by it all.
Thought maybe this would’ve made an appearance in the covers countdown, but I don’t remember seeing it. Could also be decency bias on my part because I had a “wait, is that the Stones?”moment when I heard it a couple weeks ago,

Note: I typed recency, but the iPad autocorrected me three times, and now I think “decency bias” may accidentally be a perfect description…

Thought maybe this would’ve made an appearance in the covers countdown, but I don’t remember seeing it. Could also be decency bias on my part because I had a “wait, is that the Stones?”moment when I heard it a couple weeks ago,

Note: I typed recency, but the iPad autocorrected me three times, and now I think “decency bias” may accidentally be a perfect description…
It did not get picked. Now, Doc Oc, our resident Stones expert, submitted a list of all Dylan covers, so we don't know what Stones-related things might have been on his list had he submitted a "normal" one.

High quality tune, but yeah, punctuated even more by Carrack. IIRC Phil Collins once remarked that Carrack could sing the phone book and sound amazing.

I like this pick. I have heard people criticize it but this is actually one of my favorite covers the Stones do

I like this pick. I have heard people criticize it but this is actually one of my favorite covers the Stones do
It's certainly better than their cover of "Just My Imagination", which is horrible.

31. Dolly Parton “I Will Always Love You” (from Jolene)

Although the powerful cover by Whitney Houston has become more famous, Dolly’s original is one of the greatest country music ballads of all time. It’s also quite personal; it’s a breakup song, and a goodbye to Porter Wagoner, the man who discovered Dolly and made her a star but who now was stifling her career. She broke it off and went her own way and became a superstar.

Although the powerful cover by Whitney Houston has become more famous, Dolly’s original is one of the greatest country music ballads of all time. It’s also quite personal; it’s a breakup song, and a goodbye to Porter Wagoner, the man who discovered Dolly and made her a star but who now was stifling her career. She broke it off and went her own way and became a superstar.
There was a rumor for years that Parton wrote this one & "Jolene" on the same day. I don't know if it's ever been confirmed or debunked, but I would probably need therapy had I written those two back-to-back.

Anyway, it's a great song.

There was a rumor for years that Parton wrote this one & "Jolene" on the same day. I don't know if it's ever been confirmed or debunked, but I would probably need therapy had I written those two back-to-back.

Anyway, it's a great song.
That’s what the Apple Music review says. “Jolene” appeared (high) on my 1973 list as it was released as a single months before the album.

30. Bachman Turner Overdrive “You Ain’t Seen Nothing Yet” (from Not Fragile)

Coming in at #30 on my list is one of the great classic rock songs of the 70s. Maybe BTO’s best hit song, it has passed the test of time.

29. Stevie Wonder “Boogie On Reggae Woman” (from Fulfillingness’ First Finale)

Fair warning: I hope you guys like funk because the top of this list has many all time funk classics. Like this one by Stevie at the top of his game. He plays every instrument here but the congas.

Funky and really ahead of its time.

Here is a remix that reimagines the song by incorporating the 80s soul/funk sensibility of Prince and others that didn't really exist in 1974.

Stevie Wonder - Boogie On Reggae Woman 1974 (Luke the Knife Re-Rub)

30. Bachman Turner Overdrive “You Ain’t Seen Nothing Yet” (from Not Fragile)

Coming in at #30 on my list is one of the great classic rock songs of the 70s. Maybe BTO’s best hit song, it has passed the test of time.
If someone asked me what 1974 was like, I would play them this.

Users who are viewing this thread