What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tell me how to make $$ working from home (1 Viewer)

LittleLarry

Footballguy
I feel like my industry is dying. I wonder if my position will still be here in 10 years. I am lucky enough to live near my job, but it's in a rural area. I don't want to start commuting 60 miles for some office job.

You guys that make cash from home - how do you do it?

I teach accounting classes online in the evenings as a second job. I make some decent coin. You must have at least your Masters though. If you have that then I would check into it if I were you.

Get a job where they allow you to work from home.

I haven't worked in an office since the day I graduated college. 11 years in a home office and I feel like I would love a job IN an office. The grass is always greener.

If you have any specialized knowledge and the ability to convey that knowledge to people, you could sell training or information. All you need is a computer and Internet access, but it is still a full time job (research, writing/producing the material, testing it against your market, figuring out what works/doesn't, marketing, technical (making/contracting the website, sales process). Don't buy into anything that tells you it's something you can do in a few hours a week.

Grady Wilson said:
I teach accounting classes online in the evenings as a second job. I make some decent coin. You must have at least your Masters though. If you have that then I would check into it if I were you.
This is pretty good thanks.

I am experienced at Photoshop. Could I be a freelance graphic designer?

Grady Wilson said:

I don't recommend it for most things, because spec work is bad for the design industry, but you could enter some design contests on 99designs.com to see if you have the skill to win some of the contests. Again, wouldn't recommend them as an ongoing source of business, but great way to find out if you have the chops to win some contests. Spec work has it's place for those just starting out. See below. And then see this link: http://www.no-spec.com/faq

Professionals do not work for free (unless it’s for a good cause!).People tend to go to places like that when they’re first starting out to build confidence, skills etc. Once you get good enough and confident in your abilities – then you expect to get paid for your work. This is not an unfair assumption.

Grady Wilson said:

Yes. This is true even if you aren't experienced at Photoshop, though you'd probably have to do quickie jobs for lower rates than the Illustrator jocks.

Grady Wilson said:

I don't recommend it for most things, because spec work is bad for the design industry, but you could enter some design contests on 99designs.com to see if you have the skill to win some of the contests. Again, wouldn't recommend them as an ongoing source of business, but great way to find out if you have the chops to win some contests. Spec work has it's place for those just starting out. See below. And then see this link: http://www.no-spec.com/faq

Professionals do not work for free (unless it’s for a good cause!).People tend to go to places like that when they’re first starting out to build confidence, skills etc. Once you get good enough and confident in your abilities – then you expect to get paid for your work. This is not an unfair assumption.
Don't waste your time on 99designs.

Let me walk you through the lifeline of a typical job open for competition at 99D.

- Job goes up, and within 1.3 seconds, half a million Asians with rudimentary English are looking at the listing, wondering what it says.

- Time passes, and eventually competent first world artists hoping to make a living start submitting designs.

- More time passes, and sooner or later, the job poster starts giving feedback and says that he likes one particular design.

- Instantly, those half a million Asians copy the design getting the good feedback exactly, except this time with the logo in blue, or in a slightly different font, or with a drop shadow, or...you know, two or three variations for each hack designer.

- The job poster returns, selects one of them seemingly at random, and reduces the gifted original designer's chances of landing the commission to a lottery.

I've never met anyone who worked for 99D for more than a month or so who didn't want to slit his or her wrists and nuke SE Asia.

Grady Wilson said:

Don't waste your time on 99designs.

Let me walk you through the lifeline of a typical job open for competition at 99D.

- Job goes up, and within 1.3 seconds, half a million Asians with rudimentary English are looking at the listing, wondering what it says.

- Time passes, and eventually competent first world artists hoping to make a living start submitting designs.

- More time passes, and sooner or later, the job poster starts giving feedback and says that he likes one particular design.

- Instantly, those half a million Asians copy the design getting the good feedback exactly, except this time with the logo in blue, or in a slightly different font, or with a drop shadow, or...you know, two or three variations for each hack designer.

- The job poster returns, selects one of them seemingly at random, and reduces the gifted original designer's chances of landing the commission to a lottery.

I've never met anyone who worked for 99D for more than a month or so who didn't want to slit his or her wrists and nuke SE Asia.
That is exactly why I said only for seeing how your designs stack up. Whether you win or not doesn't matter, if you are the design frequently getting copied, you'll have a good idea that you are doing good work. Particularly given the general low quality of work in the contests.

Basically, you are making my point about why you wouldn't make it a long term thing, just a way to see where you stand.

Surveys.

Made $400 bucks in in less than 9 months. By no means it's a good career choice, fwiw.

Just a way to have extra spending money/ buy stuff you don't need.

Last edited by a moderator:
Learn to read Japanese, Mandarin Chinese or Korean. It will take a few years to learn how to read this.

Make $85/hr reading foreign language documents from home. If you have a law degree you get bumped to $100/hr.

I'm also working on a team with one of the universities in hopes of us getting an article published. Anyway, in my research I have found this. I will add a disclaimer in that I have no idea how much work you could get nor how good they are in paying, but this is something else you might want to check into.

http://instaedu.com/become-a-tutor/

LittleLarry said:
I feel like my industry is dying. I wonder if my position will still be here in 10 years. I am lucky enough to live near my job, but it's in a rural area. I don't want to start commuting 60 miles for some office job.

Isn't this answered in every comment section to every YouTube video and Yahoo! news section ever?

LittleLarry said:

Isn't this answered in every comment section to every YouTube video and Yahoo! online news section ever?

Blog about what you know and what draws traffic. For example, did you pass a test or get a certification that might be tough? Blog about it. Maybe sell a study guide too from your site.

Are you wanting to make additional $$ while working from home, or looking to get a full-time work-from-home gig?

If the former, something like surveys might work for you.

Users who are viewing this thread