What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tell me about Los Angeles (1 Viewer)

Casablanca, the food is alright, the ambience is dimly lit w/ live music for a romantic evening. They are best known of their hand made flour torillas from the brick grill in the middle of the dining room. They are like hot soft disks of ambrosia.

Great, great info here. Thanks so much, guys - at least I now know if we do choose this trip, there are plenty of great restaurant recommendations in here. Tim, EY, Chaos - really appreciate all the advice. And if I can get away or convince the wife, I'd love to have dinner/beers with CC and sbonomo. :banned:

'mad sweeney said:
What a great thread this is.
This thread sux. First two pages were about traffic, bad Mexican food, Magic Mountain and a lot of hopheading. :hophead: Dealing with traffic in a big city, OMG, call Jeff Gordon. And come on, there are great Mexican joints in the city of Angelinos...for crying out loud...that was two San Diego guys getting excited because little brother is closer to the border.Took two pages to get to the good stuff, imo. :D
Really not sure how you came to this conclusion, however I just wanted to thank you for pointing out all the deficiencies of the thread, especially in light of your on-point and uber-helpful contributions.
Hey, no problem buddy, I thought for sure someone would've corrected that nonsense earlier, but when I returned it surprisingly hadn't happend yet, so I felt a little obligated, you know? Didn't want EG actually believing you.
'Chaos Commish said:
Does that town have any restaurants?

Would be nice to get some recommendations from FBGs.

TIA
Lots of great Thai in Thai Town. Korean BBQ in K-Town. No personal experience with Mexican places.We went to Susan Feniger's global street food restaurant last year. The concept was better than the execution IMO but the patio had a very cool LA vibe.

Highly recommend seeing a show at the Hollywood Bowl. One of the truly iconic concert venues and you can bring in your own wine.
Oddly, LA Mexican food sucks. Need to get south of Camp Pendleton for good Mexican.
Can you unwrap that a bit?I'd say LA mexican food is good, OC sucks, SD is good.

Maybe you are more into Baja style (fish tacos, etc) which is more prevalent in SD?
I'll expand on that and say, LA Mexican food sucks! I haven't had a decent carne asada burrito since I moved up here. There are some cool places that have decent food and a specialty like Lucy's, Mexico City (mole) or Casita del Campo, El Conq, Sieti Mares (ceviche) or Alegria. But none of them, nor any place I've found, have come close to even the worst carne asada burrito and any taco stand ending in *-bertos in SD.El Cid may be a place to go. It's Spanish, not Mexican, but their Flamenco dinner show is outstanding.
:lol: I agree a *bertos carne asada burrito is like a good fix, but just understand all *bertos are grilling canned meat from Argentina, using frozen extremely low budget plasticheeses and even freeze guac from season to season. It's fast food, not street food. Yummy though. I lived 11 years in San Diego and still own 20 acres of avos in North County. Your biz is entertainment industry stuff. I've been stocking SoCal restaurants with my own produce for over 20 years. 5 years in Century City/Redondo and now 6 years just outside LA, commute in a few times a week. Siete Mares is an account of ours, great shrimp burrito with a little ceviche side. No *bertos touches that.

There he is! :excited: ..... :own3d:

I always go for eats at one of the Jewish delis like Canter's or Langer's.
These are good, but the best Jewish deli in the LA area is Brent's, but you've got to go into the Valley.
We have a Brent's in Thousand Oaks - legendary. Though I love Langer's for Pastrami with cole slawAnd please. Stop the talk about not being able to get great Mexican food in LA. There are small joints ALL OVER So Cal. I mean, I'll take my chances walking into any of the small, authentic hole in the wall joints in just about every city in So Cal over what's found in oh, 46 other states in the US. I trust CA, AZ, TX and some of NM when it comes to Mexican food. That's it. Sure, you can go to ultra high end places in New York and other big cities, but I'm talkin' walking into a little joint in a strip mall and getting great food for under $10. Not the Americanized junk. The real deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
'mad sweeney said:
This thread sux. First two pages were about traffic, bad Mexican food, Magic Mountain and a lot of hopheading. :hophead: Dealing with traffic in a big city, OMG, call Jeff Gordon. And come on, there are great Mexican joints in the city of Angelinos...for crying out loud...that was two San Diego guys getting excited because little brother is closer to the border.Took two pages to get to the good stuff, imo. :D
Really not sure how you came to this conclusion, however I just wanted to thank you for pointing out all the deficiencies of the thread, especially in light of your on-point and uber-helpful contributions.
Hey, no problem buddy, I thought for sure someone would've corrected that nonsense earlier, but when I returned it surprisingly hadn't happend yet, so I felt a little obligated, you know? Didn't want EG actually believing you.
'Chaos Commish said:

TIA
Lots of great Thai in Thai Town. Korean BBQ in K-Town. No personal experience with Mexican places.We went to Susan Feniger's global street food restaurant last year. The concept was better than the execution IMO but the patio had a very cool LA vibe.

Highly recommend seeing a show at the Hollywood Bowl. One of the truly iconic concert venues and you can bring in your own wine.
Oddly, LA Mexican food sucks. Need to get south of Camp Pendleton for good Mexican.
Can you unwrap that a bit?I'd say LA mexican food is good, OC sucks, SD is good.

Maybe you are more into Baja style (fish tacos, etc) which is more prevalent in SD?
I'll expand on that and say, LA Mexican food sucks! I haven't had a decent carne asada burrito since I moved up here. There are some cool places that have decent food and a specialty like Lucy's, Mexico City (mole) or Casita del Campo, El Conq, Sieti Mares (ceviche) or Alegria. But none of them, nor any place I've found, have come close to even the worst carne asada burrito and any taco stand ending in *-bertos in SD.El Cid may be a place to go. It's Spanish, not Mexican, but their Flamenco dinner show is outstanding.
:lol: I agree a *bertos carne asada burrito is like a good fix, but just understand all *bertos are grilling canned meat from Argentina, using frozen extremely low budget plasticheeses and even freeze guac from season to season. It's fast food, not street food. Yummy though. I lived 11 years in San Diego and still own 20 acres of avos in North County. Your biz is entertainment industry stuff. I've been stocking SoCal restaurants with my own produce for over 20 years. 5 years in Century City/Redondo and now 6 years just outside LA, commute in a few times a week. Siete Mares is an account of ours, great shrimp burrito with a little ceviche side. No *bertos touches that.

What's owned about it? I haven't found any carne asada burritos that TASTE as good as I found on every street corner in SD. Nothing you or he said changes that. BTW, there's no cheese or guac in a proper carne asada burrito. I've also mentioned about half a dozen mexican places that have good specialties, so no reason for EG to worry. Just don't want to get his hopes up for carne asada.Glad to see you're keeping the thread on track.

It's starting to have quite a Mexican influence in the city and surrounding area.
:confused: Are you suggesting the Mexican influence in Los Angeles is a new thing?
:lol: California style Mexican food is as authentically Mexican as Sonoran or Baja. It was Mexico before it wasn't.Sweeney, I think it's correct to stipulate SD as the burrito capital of the world and your carne asada as king. SD also does awesome tacos, and I was probably unfair on that earlier. You can match and beat them with tacos in LA though. That particular burrito you like, not so much; it rules, especially with a slather of good guac. It's the remaining vast variety of Mexxy food where LA shines brighter than any other city... IMO. So if you set the bar by that burrito, then fine; food is subjective. There's a ~berto in Van Nuys, Pasedena, Torrance, and maybe a couple more. There's also an ocean of Mexican awesome in between.

A few pieces of advice re Magic Mountain since I live about 1 hour from there.

If you're going in June expect it to be hot. I mean upper 90s type heat. You may luck out and have nice weather but be prepared for the heat.

Expect less than stellar customer service. The last few times we went to MM it seemed like everybody that worked there wanted to be somewhere else.

Obviously food and drinks inside the park are going to be expensive. It's not as bad as Disneyland but it's no joke. Of course if you're going without kids it won't be as big of a deal.

Whatever you do when you leave the park do NOT head north on I-5. You might end up in Bakersfield.
I'm going to disagree on the heat. It's typically only moderately warm in June, and often can be overcast, i.e. "June gloom", but we didn't get much of that last year. Usually July through mid-Sept is the hottest time. Still, summer dress is appropriate but bring extra layers, e.g. a sweater, light jacket, sweatshirt, etc. to throw on, especially if you're within 5-10 miles of the ocean. The fog can roll in and the temp can rapidly drop 10-20 degrees.
THIS. Biggest misconception about So Cal is people think of June as a hot month, and more times than not the June gloom will keep even inland areas like Valencia where Magic Mountain is cool/comfortable.
Not telling an out-of-towner to prepare for MM to be hot in the summer is a #### move. But go ahead and do it if you can live with it.

'knightmcgee said:
And of course you can go to Pink's and grab a hot dog.
Pink's is a definite pass for me. I'd skip Hollywood Blvd too. I live a stone's throw from the Tar Pits and that's a pass as well unless you want to hit LACMA which is right next to it. The auto museum is right there too but I have no idea why anyone would go there. The only place worth going to in the neighborhood (besides LACMA) is Tom Bergin's.

'mad sweeney said:
'Chaos Commish said:

TIA

I love SD smart a**es. Here ya go, obligatory bars on every opening to the building. http://www.yelp.com/biz/carnitas-michoacan-los-angeles-2

'knightmcgee said:
And of course you can go to Pink's and grab a hot dog.
Pink's is a definite pass for me. I'd skip Hollywood Blvd too. I live a stone's throw from the Tar Pits and that's a pass as well unless you want to hit LACMA which is right next to it. The auto museum is right there too but I have no idea why anyone would go there. The only place worth going to in the neighborhood (besides LACMA) is Tom Bergin's.
Overrated and way too long of a wait most times, IMO.

Coasters at MMountain are LEGIT. I had not been to an amusement park in a long time, and MMountain rocked my world. Almost lost my cookies after a couple rides. Angels are my AL team and I hate the ####### Dodgers, but the experience at Dodger stadium is just so much better IMO. Catching a night game there should be priority #1 EG, especially if like me west coast baseball in that stadium and Kirk Gibson were big baseball memories for you growing up.
Thanks, man. I went to Cedar Point about 3 years ago and LOVED it. From what I hear, Magic Mountain is really their only rival in terms of sheer volume and intensity of thrill rides, so I kind of feel like I need to go there at some point. Night game at Dodgers Stadium was my main priority on that front - is the traffic/parking a real nightmare? You hear so much about L.A. traffic, but I've never experienced it.
I grew up in the shadow of dodger stadium. Traffic is what it is, go in the back way :unsure: and it's much easier. I'll give you exact directions if you end up out here. Just pm me.

A little out of the box and a long drive but a trip to Joshua Tree might be cool for 2 days. Chances are the heat in early June would make this a no go but it's a pretty cool place to consider. About 3 hours from LA in the Hi Desert of California, Joshua Tree is the gateway to

Joshua Tree National Park. Get some peote and stay at the Joshua Tree Inn, head over to the JT Saloon or even better, Pappy and Harriets to keep your buzz going. There's alway live music and good food sans the hipsters. PM me for more info if you need to.

'EYLive said:
'cstu said:
BTW, there is great BBQ here...but you have to go to Compton to get it - Bludsos. The brisket there is worth the drive.
That's where I go. Ultra tender brisket and rib tips. :thumbup:
'cstu said:
If you're looking for more of an upscale Mexican restaurant experience, I highly recommend Casa Sanchez in Culver City.
Just down the street is a take-out only Taqueria Sanchez that makes a great spicy churrizo burrito.
I've never eaten the food there, but the carneceria next door is place I mentioned before where I buy my carne asada.

'EYLive said:
'cstu said:
BTW, there is great BBQ here...but you have to go to Compton to get it - Bludsos. The brisket there is worth the drive.
'cstu said:
If you're looking for more of an upscale Mexican restaurant experience, I highly recommend Casa Sanchez in Culver City.
Just down the street is a take-out only Taqueria Sanchez that makes a great spicy churrizo burrito.
I've never eaten the food there, but the carneceria next door is place I mentioned before where I buy my carne asada.
Do you wear a green t-shirt all the time and answer to Mushroom O'Shea? :unsure:

'Evilgrin 72 said:
Great, great info here. Thanks so much, guys - at least I now know if we do choose this trip, there are plenty of great restaurant recommendations in here. Tim, EY, Chaos - really appreciate all the advice. And if I can get away or convince the wife, I'd love to have dinner/beers with CC and sbonomo. :banned:
I will definately buy some rounds for all of the laughter you have provided over the years :thumbup: Now how I explain a cornhole to the wife might be another story!

'Evilgrin 72 said:
I will definately buy some rounds for all of the laughter you have provided over the years :thumbup: Now how I explain a cornhole to the wife might be another story!
EvilHole '13!

'Officer Pete Malloy said:

If you're going in June expect it to be hot. I mean upper 90s type heat. You may luck out and have nice weather but be prepared for the heat.

Expect less than stellar customer service. The last few times we went to MM it seemed like everybody that worked there wanted to be somewhere else.

Obviously food and drinks inside the park are going to be expensive. It's not as bad as Disneyland but it's no joke. Of course if you're going without kids it won't be as big of a deal.

Whatever you do when you leave the park do NOT head north on I-5. You might end up in Bakersfield.
I'm going to disagree on the heat. It's typically only moderately warm in June, and often can be overcast, i.e. "June gloom", but we didn't get much of that last year. Usually July through mid-Sept is the hottest time. Still, summer dress is appropriate but bring extra layers, e.g. a sweater, light jacket, sweatshirt, etc. to throw on, especially if you're within 5-10 miles of the ocean. The fog can roll in and the temp can rapidly drop 10-20 degrees.
THIS. Biggest misconception about So Cal is people think of June as a hot month, and more times than not the June gloom will keep even inland areas like Valencia where Magic Mountain is cool/comfortable.
Not telling an out-of-towner to prepare for MM to be hot in the summer is a #### move. But go ahead and do it if you can live with it.
Easy Richard. "go ahead and do it if you can live with it"? WTF? Trying to help the guy, not trip him up. Most people make the assumption that June is automatically sweltering in So Cal. I don't see people that are unprepared by not having enough shorts for the trip. I see people that are blown away that they need sweatshirts at times and didn't pack accordingly. I've lived here for 50 years. I think I know the temperature variations. And the OP isn't just going to Magic Mountain either. An out of towner needs to be prepared for both.

'Evilgrin 72 said:
EvilHole '13!
I'm confess I was more comfortable offering to treat EG and his wife to some good Mexican. EG unfettered by the mrs. in LA sounds like a cautionary tale. I'd probably be better off escorting both your wives to Manilow and waiting for your one phone call.

'EYLive said:
'cstu said:
'cstu said:
Do you wear a green t-shirt all the time and answer to Mushroom O'Shea? :unsure:
:lol: :no:

I am soooooooo in for evil hole. And my wife has already met brong and seen all the eating completions so I'm good in that department.

Headed to LA in April and planning to go to Santa Anita twice. One time will be on April 6th for the Santa Anita Derby. My question is, what is the drive time and best route from Marina Del Ray to the track? According to google maps it's about a 50 minute drive right through downtown LA and just a little longer to go north on the 405 and around.

Headed to LA in April and planning to go to Santa Anita twice. One time will be on April 6th for the Santa Anita Derby. My question is, what is the drive time and best route from Marina Del Ray to the track? According to google maps it's about a 50 minute drive right through downtown LA and just a little longer to go north on the 405 and around.
What time of day? I avoid going through downtown at almost any cost. The 405/101 would probably be a better route.

Oh Jesus. Just thinking about that drive scares me. I doubt 50 minutes gets you there, although it is a Saturday, so it might not be impossible.I'd leave plenty of extra time, and check the routes before you leave to see which has the better traffic at the moment. Really, the 'east then north, 10-to-the-5' or the 'north then east, 405 to the 101-134' thing flips back and forth every day. Sometimes one is faster, sometimes the other one is. Get an app like Bounce for your phone and let it figure it out for you. But I'd plan on 70 minutes or so, at least... maybe more. Worst case you end up at the track early, which is fine. You'll need plenty of time to park and walk in. Plus it's a beautiful track, might as well sit in the stands for a while and enjoy the view, read the DRF, and pick the other races.

Thanks for the replies guys. I was thinking the same about avoiding downtown LA and going the 405 route. We will be going on Friday too, so rush hour on the way home could be an issue. We will definitely leave early, I just wanted to get some other opinions to be sure.

Easy Richard. "go ahead and do it if you can live with it"? WTF? Trying to help the guy, not trip him up. Most people make the assumption that June is automatically sweltering in So Cal. I don't see people that are unprepared by not having enough shorts for the trip. I see people that are blown away that they need sweatshirts at times and didn't pack accordingly. I've lived here for 50 years. I think I know the temperature variations. And the OP isn't just going to Magic Mountain either. An out of towner needs to be prepared for both.
Good gravy. For the last time:

Headed to LA in April and planning to go to Santa Anita twice. One time will be on April 6th for the Santa Anita Derby.
:thumbup: They used to have a microbrew festival and bands on the infield for derby day but I don't think they do it anymore. Shame because it used to be jam packed with young honeys. Barring an accident I don't think the drive will be all that horrible. (I guess if you're not used to normal traffic here it might be.) Santa Anita is a pretty place to gamble on the ponies. The mountains are lovely.

Thanks for the replies guys. I was thinking the same about avoiding downtown LA and going the 405 route. We will be going on Friday too, so rush hour on the way home could be an issue. We will definitely leave early, I just wanted to get some other opinions to be sure.
I work in DTLA and live near marina del rey, rush hour on the 10 isn't bad bad at all. Not sure what all the worry is about. :confused:

Sigalert is your friend Check your route before you go....Getting into the race tack on derby day can be a PIA...get off the 210 before baldwin and come up hunnington if you don't plan on being there early. Also, pay extra for the better parking...the walk can be terrible on big days.

I work in DTLA and live near marina del rey, rush hour on the 10 isn't bad bad at all. Not sure what all the worry is about. :confused:
Really...All I've heard is the exact opposite, but sometimes hearsay can get blown out of proportion.

Sigalert is your friend Check your route before you go....Getting into the race tack on derby day can be a PIA...get off the 210 before baldwin and come up hunnington if you don't plan on being there early. Also, pay extra for the better parking...the walk can be terrible on big days.
Nice link...I like it. I just checked and both routes discussed are about the same 60 minutes and this would be at a pretty high traffic time I would guess, not the worst/busiest but certainly on the heavier side I would think.

'Cromedog said:
I always do any and everything in my power to avoid going near the 405/101 unless there's ZERO alternative. I'll look at it in a bit when I have more time, but usually I'd take some kind of 105/710/5 or 10 route to get to the 110 somewhere past downtown. It's been a while, so I don't know it off the top of my head. But usually there's a much better way from that area and those smaller cross hatch routes by avoiding hell (even on weekends).

'Cromedog said:
'EYLive said:
'Cromedog said:
Really...All I've heard is the exact opposite, but sometimes hearsay can get blown out of proportion.
It's slow but it moves. Maybe I'm just used to LA traffic. There are a lot of government workers in DTLA that get Friday's off so in my experience Friday rush hours are noticably faster than Mon-Thur.

'Cromedog said:
'EYLive said:
'Cromedog said:
It's slow but it moves. Maybe I'm just used to LA traffic. There are a lot of government workers in DTLA that get Friday's off so in my experience Friday rush hours are noticably faster than Mon-Thur.
You're heading west though. heading east is way worse at that time.

'Cromedog said:
Unless you are headed home by 2 I'd rather find something to do in that area until 8 than fight traffic on the way back.

'Cromedog said:
Unless you are headed home by 2 I'd rather find something to do in that area until 8 than fight traffic on the way back.
Not really a good alternative on Friday as the wives won't be with us that day.

'Cromedog said:
I always do any and everything in my power to avoid going near the 405/101 unless there's ZERO alternative. I'll look at it in a bit when I have more time, but usually I'd take some kind of 105/710/5 or 10 route to get to the 110 somewhere past downtown. It's been a while, so I don't know it off the top of my head. But usually there's a much better way from that area and those smaller cross hatch routes by avoiding hell (even on weekends).
Another vote against the 405... There is a southern route as you suggest, but I didn't really consider it. I will check it out on that sigalert. Yesterday when I checked around 3:30 local time the downtown route and northern route were about the same, and both just under an hour which would be fine.

RULEZ OF TEH TRAFFICKS IN LOS ANGELEZ1. Avoid the 101 at all costs at anything but wee hours2. Do much the same with the 405, with a little more leeway.

Ok. I will be in LA for one day. I have a long layover(arrive at 6am, flight out is at 11pm) and will have a rental car. Looking for interesting stuff to see as well as recommendations for Breakfast, lunch and dinner. I am thinking of hitting the Stinking rose for dinner as im a huge garlic fan and ive heard its good, but i could be swayed. Any ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread