What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Teixeira to Angels (1 Viewer)

Sources close to the situation told ESPN.com's Jayson Stark on Tuesday that Atlanta Braves first baseman Mark Teixeira is headed to the Los Angeles Angels for Casey Kotchman and minor league pitcher Steven Marek

The switch-hitting Teixeira is batting .283 with 20 home runs and 78 RBIs this season.

Kotchman, who is known as much for his defense at first base as his bat, is batting .287 with 12 homers and 54 RBIs for the first-place Angels.

I dont think the Angels got much of an upgrade here, esp if they dont resign him at the end of the season. The Braves got a gold club caliber 1B who is getting better. He is cheaper and signed longer i believe too.

I like it for ATL but not Anaheim

Sources close to the situation told ESPN.com's Jayson Stark on Tuesday that Atlanta Braves first baseman Mark Teixeira is headed to the Los Angeles Angels for Casey Kotchman and minor league pitcher Steven MarekThe switch-hitting Teixeira is batting .283 with 20 home runs and 78 RBIs this season.Kotchman, who is known as much for his defense at first base as his bat, is batting .287 with 12 homers and 54 RBIs for the first-place Angels. ********I dont think the Angels got much of an upgrade here, esp if they dont resign him at the end of the season. The Braves got a gold club caliber 1B who is getting better. He is cheaper and signed longer i believe too.I like it for ATL but not Anaheim
I don't think the Angels do this deal unless they have plans to sign Teixeira long term. The Angels knew what they were pursing last year (a Boras client) and I think you'll hear about contract negotiations pretty soon. Also, Teixeira is a 2 time gold glover, so defensively, it is not a drop off for the Angels.Braves fans (myself included) have to hate this deal. Tex has the better (proven) bat. Hopefully Kotchman maintains his current level and does well for the next few years and the Braves can use some of the money they save by not signing Tex to go get a big bat in the outfield.

This makes the Texas haul even sweeter:

Would you trade Neftali Feliz, Elvis Andrus, Jarrod Saltalamacchia, Matt Harrison, and Beau Jones for Casey Kotchman and Stephen Marek?

Not even close.

Sources close to the situation told ESPN.com's Jayson Stark on Tuesday that Atlanta Braves first baseman Mark Teixeira is headed to the Los Angeles Angels for Casey Kotchman and minor league pitcher Steven Marek

The switch-hitting Teixeira is batting .283 with 20 home runs and 78 RBIs this season.

Kotchman, who is known as much for his defense at first base as his bat, is batting .287 with 12 homers and 54 RBIs for the first-place Angels.

I dont think the Angels got much of an upgrade here, esp if they dont resign him at the end of the season. The Braves got a gold club caliber 1B who is getting better. He is cheaper and signed longer i believe too.

I like it for ATL but not Anaheim
I don't think the Angels do this deal unless they have plans to sign Teixeira long term. The Angels knew what they were pursing last year (a Boras client) and I think you'll hear about contract negotiations pretty soon. Also, Teixeira is a 2 time gold glover, so defensively, it is not a drop off for the Angels.Braves fans (myself included) have to hate this deal. Tex has the better (proven) bat. Hopefully Kotchman maintains his current level and does well for the next few years and the Braves can use some of the money they save by not signing Tex to go get a big bat in the outfield.
I am not so sure. The Brewers traded for CC knowing they would lose him AND sheets at the end of the season. Win now.Also, I think K Rod is a FA and they need to sign him, so they might not have the money for Teix.

I dont think there will be any negotiations until the offseason although they risk losing him to a higher bidder, after all he is a boras client

This makes the Texas haul even sweeter:Would you trade Neftali Feliz, Elvis Andrus, Jarrod Saltalamacchia, Matt Harrison, and Beau Jones for Casey Kotchman and Stephen Marek?Not even close.
The development of Elvis surprised even me. Neftali is going to be a fine player for a lonnng time. Solid catch by the Rangers.

Braves fans (myself included) have to hate this deal. Tex has the better (proven) bat. Hopefully Kotchman maintains his current level and does well for the next few years and the Braves can use some of the money they save by not signing Tex to go get a big bat in the outfield.
Why? We just replaced a rental 1b that's going to demand boatload of money in three months with a young guy with great defensive skills and a disciplined offensive output that could be putting up .300/25/100 by seasons end. Oh did I mention we're going to keep him for 3 and a half years?He's not Tex, we all know that. But he's a fine young 1B. I suspect we aren't done just yet.

Braves fans (myself included) have to hate this deal. Tex has the better (proven) bat. Hopefully Kotchman maintains his current level and does well for the next few years and the Braves can use some of the money they save by not signing Tex to go get a big bat in the outfield.
Why? We just replaced a rental 1b that's going to demand boatload of money in three months with a young guy with great defensive skills and a disciplined offensive output that could be putting up .300/25/100 by seasons end. Oh did I mention we're going to keep him for 3 and a half years?He's not Tex, we all know that. But he's a fine young 1B. I suspect we aren't done just yet.
Why? Because Tex is still a better bat, fine defensively, the Braves could have afforded him after top-end salary falls off the books at the end of the season (Hampton, Glavine, Smoltz), and because of the lack of demand for a 1B on the market, Kotch is a much as the Braves could get in a trade. I hope Kotchman pans out and does well, but it is still a disappointment that the Braves couldn't get anything else in return. That and the sad realization that this season is in the books.

:excited: You might hate the fact that the Braves were not going to resign Tex, or you might hate the deal that brought him here to Atlanta. But I don't see any reason to hate this deal. Sure, I would've rather had CoJack, but I'd much rather have Kotchman than Tracy.

Agree that it will be interesting to see what else transpires.

Why? Because Tex is still a better bat, fine defensively, the Braves could have afforded him after top-end salary falls off the books at the end of the season (Hampton, Glavine, Smoltz), and because of the lack of demand for a 1B on the market, Kotch is a much as the Braves could get in a trade. I hope Kotchman pans out and does well, but it is still a disappointment that the Braves couldn't get anything else in return. That and the sad realization that this season is in the books.
In Atlanta here....I think the Braves made out very well.

I'm sure players know it is a business and all that, but I wonder what Kotchman is thinking right about now. He goes from a World Series contender, in a great part of the country, a great manager, to a team clearly on the downside (when your best player is a 36 year old with horrible knees, you know the arrow is pointing downward).

That has to suck.

This makes the Texas haul even sweeter:Would you trade Neftali Feliz, Elvis Andrus, Jarrod Saltalamacchia, Matt Harrison, and Beau Jones for Casey Kotchman and Stephen Marek?Not even close.
I like it that the clubhouse cancer is in Anaheim. I hope they sign him. The dude is scum and can drag any decent team down with him. Just because he's a clean white guy doesn't mean crap. A grade A doosh.

Oh and word is that Tex wants something in the neighborhood of AROD money. Talking 10/230. Not joking.

I am not so sure. The Brewers traded for CC knowing they would lose him AND sheets at the end of the season. Win now.
Correct. This is contradictory to past Angel philosophy, but this move was clearly done for 2008, with the hope for 2009-? secondary.
Also, I think K Rod is a FA and they need to sign him, so they might not have the money for Teix.
Not so sure the Angels will resign K Rod. Despite his gaudy save total, some of his numbers are career worst. The Angels are excellent evaluators of talent, so its possible they don't see the worth in paying K Rod what he will ultimately get in FA (5 yr, 70 mill). Arredondo, Shields, and possibly a move by Escobar to the pen would fill out the bullpen. Plus with KRod, and probably Garland and Garret Anderson (God, I hope so) off the books the Halos would have 30 mill or to pay Tex and acquire some bullpen relief.

Users who are viewing this thread