What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Team Most Likely to Regress in 2015 (1 Viewer)

Old Smiley

Footballguy
Early favorites guys? Thoughts? Opinions?

Code:
AFC East            New England Patriots    12    4    0Buffalo Bills            9    7    0Miami Dolphins           8    8    0New York Jets            4   12    0AFC North            Pittsburgh Steelers     11    5    0Cincinnati Bengals      10    5    1Baltimore Ravens        10    6    0Cleveland Browns         7    9    0AFC South            Indianapolis Colts      11    5    0Houston Texans           9    7    0Jacksonville Jaguars     3   13    0Tennessee Titans         2   14    0AFC West            Denver Broncos          12    4    0Kansas City Chiefs       9    7    0San Diego Chargers       9    7    0Oakland Raiders          3   13    0NFC East            Dallas Cowboys          12    4    0Philadelphia Eagles     10    6    0New York Giants          6   10    0Washington Redskins      4   12    0NFC North            Green Bay Packers       12    4    0Detroit Lions           11    5    0Minnesota Vikings        7    9    0Chicago Bears            5   11    0NFC South            Carolina Panthers        7    8    1New Orleans Saints       7    9    0Atlanta Falcons          6   10    0Tampa Bay Buccaneers     2   14    0NFC West            Seattle Seahawks        12    4    0Arizona Cardinals       11    5    0San Francisco 49ers      8    8    0St. Louis Rams           6   10    0

Last edited by a moderator:
Dallas? Can Romo have another season where he plays that well? Will they be able to keep Bryant and Murray? Just not sure I see the same type of running game beating everyone down and Romo playing that well. We saw down the stretch that some of the defense was a mirage based on the rushing numbers most of the season. I don't think the D is all that good...and out of top teams, their QB isn't as good...and not sure Id trust their coach very far.

NFC wise...I think it would take injuries for GB to regress too much. With Rodgers, they will be a contender for their division and the #1 seed. Yes...FA could take away Cobb and Bulaga which would be big hits to them though. So there is concern. But it revolves around #12 there.

Seattle...the injuries would have to linger from the end of the year and I don't see that happening. They will have Wilson, that defense...and one of the top minds as a GM keeping the cupboard stocked.

AZ? I could see them regressing a bit if they can't keep a QB healthy. That D is really good...but the offense isn't anything to write home about and they are in a tough tough division.

Detroit...Suh gone? Among others. If Minn and Chicago improve at all...with GB already in the division...could be some tough sledding for them after a tough loss to Dallas. If they regress, I don't think it will be too far down.

Other than that...there is not many that can regress...unless somehow the NFC S gets even worse.

Dallas - A lot depends on if they can bring back Murray and Dez. I see them keeping Dez. They still need help on defense though and can Romo hold it together for another season? He'll be 35 at the start of the season with nagging back injuries. Plus, the Eagles and Giants should be better.

Detroit - If they lose Suh, their defense takes a big hit.

Cincinnati - Think Dalton is about done there and I just don't see them doing much. Could be wrong, but they're due for a stinker season.

If Detroit loses Suh, that's a pretty easy call - but I'll say them either way - since Minny and Chicago should improve a bit.

For an AFC team, with Denver. I really think Peyton is close to the end. I'm not fully buying the torn quad excuse.

AFC

Broncos...yeah, so much in FA right now and so many questions with Manning.

Not sure any of the top AFC teams have as many big questions as Denver does right now.

The Lions will franchsie Suh if they dont work out a good deal.

Its pretty simple to look at who played the AFC & NFC south this year. they should regress

And who plays the AFC & NFC south in 2015 could make a move up

Dallas, cincy, cle (obv), id be genuinely shocked if they won 4 games

Last edited by a moderator:
If we are just talking about overall having a worse season, you have to go with the Patriots, no? Anything less than another SB win would be a "regression." Every other team has the possibility of doing better; the best they could do is equal the success of their 2014 season (and, as we've seen over the last decade, even that would be difficult).

If we are just talking about overall having a worse season, you have to go with the Patriots, no? Anything less than another SB win would be a "regression." Every other team has the possibility of doing better; the best they could do is equal the success of their 2014 season (and, as we've seen over the last decade, even that would be difficult).
If they can retain the core that they have currently, I think the Pats will be a stronger team next year. They also on paper appear to have an easier schedule. They play the NFC East and the AFC South. I would guess they have a better record next year than this year. Whether they can repeat is anyone's guess, but they already should be a favorite to earn a playoff bye.

BUF x 2, NYJ x 2, MIA x 2, DAL, WAS, PHI, NYG, IND, TEN, JAX, HOU, PIT, DEN. You almost have to give them 10 wins out of the gate. If they split their remaining "harder" games, they would still be 13-3.

While I'm certain you know this is not in any way what was intended for discussion, I think the Patriots do have a moderate risk of regression next season.

They have some key contributors coming up as FA ( McCourty, Connolly, Vereen, Gostkowski ) and a huge cap number with Revis that I don't think they can maintain. Revis is what made that defense work this year, freeing up a safety to come up in run support while maintaining solid coverage.

If they can't work out a deal to lower the cap number, they can save $20 mill on the cap by cutting Revis ( currently $25 mill against the cap ). While none of the named guys are huge $$ contracts, they were in the 4-5 mill range and would be looking for a bump.

The have the best coaching staff in the game, and have a long history of finding role players to fill gaps, but if they can't sign ( or replace ) these guys with equivalent production, you're looking at losing key contributors in the Kicking game, secondary, O line and short passing game. That's a lot of areas impacted.

As long as this team has BB and Brady, they'll be playoff contenders. If they can resign or replace the key positions, they should be top SB contenders. If not, they're back to the pack, still likely a playoff team, but just one among the crowd.

This was my thinking. Anything short of superbowl champion is a regression. I'll put my money on them not repeating because it's tough to do that.

You won the battle of semantics!!!

Niners, Chargers, and Miami. Cinci and Steelers get through one more year before a collapse. WAS "regresses" from just barely mediocre to straight up terrible and ends with worst record in the league next year, or tiebreaks into second with another bottom-dweller team.

Dallas? Can Romo have another season where he plays that well? Will they be able to keep Bryant and Murray? Just not sure I see the same type of running game beating everyone down and Romo playing that well. We saw down the stretch that some of the defense was a mirage based on the rushing numbers most of the season. I don't think the D is all that good...and out of top teams, their QB isn't as good...and not sure Id trust their coach very far.
That was my pick.

While I'm certain you know this is not in any way what was intended for discussion, I think the Patriots do have a moderate risk of regression next season.

They have some key contributors coming up as FA ( McCourty, Connolly, Vereen, Gostkowski ) and a huge cap number with Revis that I don't think they can maintain. Revis is what made that defense work this year, freeing up a safety to come up in run support while maintaining solid coverage.

If they can't work out a deal to lower the cap number, they can save $20 mill on the cap by cutting Revis ( currently $25 mill against the cap ). While none of the named guys are huge $$ contracts, they were in the 4-5 mill range and would be looking for a bump.

The have the best coaching staff in the game, and have a long history of finding role players to fill gaps, but if they can't sign ( or replace ) these guys with equivalent production, you're looking at losing key contributors in the Kicking game, secondary, O line and short passing game. That's a lot of areas impacted.

As long as this team has BB and Brady, they'll be playoff contenders. If they can resign or replace the key positions, they should be top SB contenders. If not, they're back to the pack, still likely a playoff team, but just one among the crowd.
The great thing about their division is they can regress and still win it at 10-6.

How's no one said Buffalo yet? They don't have a ####ing QB!!
Here's your winner! The only thing stopping them from being the worst team in the league is their defense. 9-7 from this past year is a pipe dream. Look for 4-5 wins max. if they don't find an Orton level replacement.

The team with the farthest distance to fall is New England and its difficult to repeat and their QB isn't getting any younger or healthier.

I'm not a cap expert but intuitively I would imagine they probably don't have a war chest of cap money and they pick last in every round making it more difficult to find impact draft picks.

They played more games than all but one team and took more wear and tear.

I like some of their young defenders but I have seen some of the shine wear off of Tom Brady. Last year people had mistakenly said he was done, he's not but he is not as sharp as he once was and he's older so recovery time is lengthened.

I think the Patriots will slip this next year. Really difficult to repeat and many SB teams slide the next year with much younger QBs. I think the Pats are easily the most likely team to regress this year.

I thought Arizona was the obvious choice. Their defense played really well last year but they lost Bowles and I feel he had a lot to do with keeping it together while they had lots of injuries. Their offense is far from dynamic and they're in a tough division.

I feel like someone other than Cleveland (who is almost certain to fall a bit) has to regress in the AFC North. I'm not sure who, but one of those 3 will be below .500. I'd guess the Bengals, but who knows.

I feel like someone other than Cleveland (who is almost certain to fall a bit) has to regress in the AFC North. I'm not sure who, but one of those 3 will be below .500. I'd guess the Bengals, but who knows.
IMO, they ALL will do worse in 2015. The AFC North gets the AFC West and NFC West this year. No more cupcakes from the AFC South and NFC South.

DEN, SD, and KC are a step up over HOU, JAX, and TEN. And SEA, SFO, and ARI should be tougher than anyone in the NFC South.

The Lions will franchsie Suh if they dont work out a good deal.

Its pretty simple to look at who played the AFC & NFC south this year. they should regress

And who plays the AFC & NFC south in 2015 could make a move up
You really think the Lions want a $36 million cap hit for one Player? Especially when they already have huge contracts with Johnson and Stafford? He already counts 10 million against the Cap in 2015 due to his voided contract year, and if they franchise him, it will be cost another $26 million because his cap number was $22 million this year. I don't see Suh playing for the Lions next year.

Dallas - A lot depends on if they can bring back Murray and Dez. I see them keeping Dez. They still need help on defense though and can Romo hold it together for another season? He'll be 35 at the start of the season with nagging back injuries. Plus, the Eagles and Giants should be better.

Detroit - If they lose Suh, their defense takes a big hit.

Cincinnati - Think Dalton is about done there and I just don't see them doing much. Could be wrong, but they're due for a stinker season.
I think keeping their defensive coordinator was a much bigger concern than Suh.

While they may maintain or even possibly improve their record, I'd be shocked if Carolina was one of the final 8 playoff teams next season.

Bleacher Report ‏@BleacherReport 7m7 minutes ago

Insider Buzz: The Seahawks are Ndamukong Suhs number one choice, per @JasonPhilCole http://ble.ac/1C5Dlom

Whatever that's worth
Can't imagine how they'd pay him. But add him to that D and wow.
That would be insane. Dunno how but I'd love to see that happen.
Detroit will be able to match or recieve two first round picks. I am not sure who will do that. Odds are he stays in Detroit.

San Francisco

I can't see the 49ers winning more than 5 games. That wouldn't be a huge regression from 8-8, but considering the run they just ended, it is shocking to see the franchise falling apart so rapidly. The talent will begin to leave as soon as they can, just as the coaching staff has.

AFC East New England Patriots 12 4 0Buffalo Bills 9 7 0Miami Dolphins 8 8 0New York Jets 4 12 0AFC North Pittsburgh Steelers 11 5 0Cincinnati Bengals 10 5 1Baltimore Ravens 10 6 0Cleveland Browns 7 9 0AFC South Indianapolis Colts 11 5 0Houston Texans 9 7 0Jacksonville Jaguars 3 13 0Tennessee Titans 2 14 0AFC West Denver Broncos 12 4 0Kansas City Chiefs 9 7 0San Diego Chargers 9 7 0Oakland Raiders 3 13 0NFC East Dallas Cowboys 12 4 0Philadelphia Eagles 10 6 0New York Giants 6 10 0Washington Redskins 4 12 0NFC North Green Bay Packers 12 4 0Detroit Lions 11 5 0Minnesota Vikings 7 9 0Chicago Bears 5 11 0NFC South Carolina Panthers 7 8 1New Orleans Saints 7 9 0Atlanta Falcons 6 10 0Tampa Bay Buccaneers 2 14 0NFC West Seattle Seahawks 12 4 0Arizona Cardinals 11 5 0San Francisco 49ers 8 8 0St. Louis Rams 6 10 0
As much as I hate saying it, my Lions likely will. Suh I can see leaving. That's a big hole to fill. And our schedule is REALLY difficult next season. Don't see us going better than 8-8.

And yeah, don't see the Broncos going 12-4 again. Still can be a 10+ win team, but has some issues.

Chargers are tough as nails, but I don't see them repeating 9-7 and barely missing the playoffs. I think the Broncos and Chiefs will still be tough outs, and I think the Raiders will improve and not be so easy to beat next year. And that doesn't even take out-of-division into consideration.

Definitely do not see the Cowboys going 12-4 again. ESPECIALLY if they lose Murray (more likely to lose him than Bryant). Teams will figure better ways to defend them.

That's all I can envision regressing... so far, at least. Hard to say this early into the offseason and not even knowing who drafted whom.

Broncos

Seahawks

Lions
Read my mind... Question marks with Peyton and lots of change; Seahawks are coming off 3 solid seasons and two SBs. Injuries plus player/coaching attrition could follow. Tough to stay on top. Don't see the Lions getting 10 wins, especially if their defense slides. (Suh, etc.)

San Francisco

I can't see the 49ers winning more than 5 games. That wouldn't be a huge regression from 8-8, but considering the run they just ended, it is shocking to see the franchise falling apart so rapidly. The talent will begin to leave as soon as they can, just as the coaching staff has.
I would consider 5 wins a huge regression but agree its possible. I really like Arizona and St. Louis. Hope they each can settle their QB situations. That will be an exciting division again next year.

Users who are viewing this thread