What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Position (1 Viewer)

therush

Footballguy
(Group A)If you took Graham, Gronk, Vernon Davis, or Gonzalez you won.

(Group B)If you took Gates, Hernandez, Witten, Pettigrew, Fred Davis, Greg Olsen, Jacob Tamme, Coby Fleener you lost.

(Group C)If you picked up Bennett or Pitta you won.

If you didn't draft one of the Group B players, regardless of whether or not you have on of the Group A or Group C players, and are taking a shot on Chandler or Rosario the jury is still out.

Players in Groups A and C are a tier above the rest and will be the top 6.

Olsen had a bad week 3? If that's a loss I'll take it! Only

thing holding Olsen back is the video....The Sack Cam, The Pick

Cam, The Overthrow Cam etc. Olsen is solid, have him and

M Bennett as TE duo in most leagues couldn't be happier.

Now if I could just get the other 15 clowns to play ball.....

don't you think it's a tad early to be writing off Gates? It's not like this is a chronic injury, he was as healthy as he's been in years coming into this season and all reports are that he's back this week. No way in hell I'd rather have Pitta than Gates going forward.

Even though Hernandez is hurt for a bit that isn't going to sink anyone's team. Once he comes back I think he will pick up where he left off. He is too talented of a player.

Personally I think this is an important thread.

Someone made a comment in another thread that his flex league is gobbling up TE's and I bet that's going on way more than ever. Personally I don't like the flex concept but whatever.

And I always thought that Bennett looked great in Dallas but did not follow instinct and missed out on him. I also eschewed Rudolph wrongly. I only say that because I am really seriously relating to those that are in the cold:

So it's week 3 and you don't have: Graham, Gronk or Vern. And you missed out on Bennett (let's face it, he's looking like he will finish perhaps No. 4-5) & Pitta (playing in the WR slot? I should have read that thread).

Personally I think some of these guys have to cool off - for instance, Gonzo, I just don't believe he will be keeping up this pace.

The Group B TE's: Gates, Hernandez, Witten, Pettigrew, Fred Davis, Greg Olsen, Jacob Tamme, Coby Fleener.

I'd say throw in Rudolph, Celek, Chandler, Cook and Gresham. Rudolph has done well two weeks in a row. Celek is also thriving. Gresham should be so much more but isn't.

Fred Davis - he was never going to get it going with Griffin.

Hernandez - hurt. (Does Winslow show up? Likely no...).

Gates - hurt, but if I owned Gates I might just sign up Rosario as a backup. If you put Gates and Rosario together in a committee you have the 4-5th highest scoring TE most likely. Gates will return and he will be awesome. Target him for trade if possible.

Chandler - you better hope he scores.

Finley fits in here somewhere.

Olsen - was awesome vs the Giants but this reminded me of Fleener in week 1, the team was behind and it was one thing that was working, I just don't think it happens most weeks.

Cook - this guy ought to be great; this guy is someone Locker should be checking down to and using to get his game going. This guy should have exploded some time in the last 3 years. But.... no. Still Cook looks like the strike-out or home run play here.

Celek & Owen Daniels - currently 3rd & 4th in targets per game among TE's.

That leaves Witten, Pettigrew, Olsen, Fleener, and Gresham as guys who might be traded for or on your waiver wire.

And then there's Brandon Myers - the big defect so far is no TDs, but he has done as well as Rudolph and better between the end zones. Palmer is going to him two straight games.

Somebody is going to emerge from that Group B (with whoever you want to add from Group D, say) and will allow you to compete with that Top-5.

It used to be that there were 1-2 great TE's and everyone else was pretty mediocre at the position so, meh, whatever. But now it's the opposite, probably at least half if not a majority of any given league's teams are strong at the position. The point of the original post is great, you had better get with the TE program, figure something out and at least compete at that position or forget about winning.

Last edited by a moderator:
And then there's Brandon Myers - the big defect so far is no TDs, but he has done as well as Rudolph and better between the end zones. Palmer is going to him two straight games.

:goodposting: just picked him up in my dynasty league as a TE3. Dude is really consistent and if you start sprinkling in a few Tds then probably better than most options.

:goodposting: just picked him up in my dynasty league as a TE3. Dude is really consistent and if you start sprinkling in a few Tds then probably better than most options.
Throwing to the TE makes sense for Palmer and his noodle arm.

Even though Hernandez is hurt for a bit that isn't going to sink anyone's team. Once he comes back I think he will pick up where he left off. He is too talented of a player.
It totally sank them in Week 2 with his zeroIt may hinder them - some mortally - in the weeks until his return depending on whether they had a replacement on board and how good that player was as they can't pick up one of the C difference makers this week (at least in most 12 and larger leagues)

Someone made a comment in another thread that his flex league is gobbling up TE's and I bet that's going on way more than ever. Personally I don't like the flex concept but whatever.

And I always thought that Bennett looked great in Dallas but did not follow instinct and missed out on him. I also eschewed Rudolph wrongly. I only say that because I am really seriously relating to those that are in the cold:

So it's week 3 and you don't have: Graham, Gronk or Vern. And you missed out on Bennett (let's face it, he's looking like he will finish perhaps No. 4-5) & Pitta (playing in the WR slot? I should have read that thread).

Personally I think some of these guys have to cool off - for instance, Gonzo, I just don't believe he will be keeping up this pace.

The Group B TE's: Gates, Hernandez, Witten, Pettigrew, Fred Davis, Greg Olsen, Jacob Tamme, Coby Fleener.

I'd say throw in Rudolph, Celek, Chandler, Cook and Gresham. Rudolph has done well two weeks in a row. Celek is also thriving. Gresham should be so much more but isn't.

Fred Davis - he was never going to get it going with Griffin.

Hernandez - hurt. (Does Winslow show up? Likely no...).

Gates - hurt, but if I owned Gates I might just sign up Rosario as a backup. If you put Gates and Rosario together in a committee you have the 4-5th highest scoring TE most likely. Gates will return and he will be awesome. Target him for trade if possible.

Chandler - you better hope he scores.

Finley fits in here somewhere.

Olsen - was awesome vs the Giants but this reminded me of Fleener in week 1, the team was behind and it was one thing that was working, I just don't think it happens most weeks.

Cook - this guy ought to be great; this guy is someone Locker should be checking down to and using to get his game going. This guy should have exploded some time in the last 3 years. But.... no. Still Cook looks like the strike-out or home run play here.

Celek & Owen Daniels - currently 3rd & 4th in targets per game among TE's.

That leaves Witten, Pettigrew, Olsen, Fleener, and Gresham as guys who might be traded for or on your waiver wire.

Somebody is going to emerge from that Group B (with whoever you want to add from Group D, say) and will allow you to compete with that Top-5.

It used to be that there were 1-2 great TE's and everyone else was pretty mediocre at the position so, meh, whatever. But now it's the opposite, probably at least half if not a majority of any given league's teams are strong at the position. The point of the original post is great, you had better get with the TE program, figure something out and at least compete at that position or forget about winning.
Why don't you think Gonzalez will continue? He finishes in the Top 6 TE for PPR every year. No reason for that to stop..

I'm so glad you wrote this, SaintsInDome. I saw that same "gobbling up" TEs post to which you are referring. That post struck a chord with me because I noticed that this year -- almost everyone in my league has a good TE AND a solid backup TE. There is more talent and productivity at the TE position than perhaps ever. Yet, although there's a larger supply of good TEs than before, it's not like an owner can just go hit the waiver wire for a replacement any time they want. This is because owners now feel compelled to not only procure a good starter but also to carry a reliable back up TE that can be put in during byes, injuries, or in case the other one flubs. With most of a league getting so many points out of that position with the likes of Graham, Gronk, et al. nobody wants to be the one owner who isn't getting a lot of points out the TE spot. It creates a big weekly disadvantage. Thus the "don't carry a backup TE" guideline seems to have gone out the window.

So are you guys seeing this trend in your leagues, too? Are owners now hoarding TEs?

Why don't you think Gonzalez will continue? He finishes in the Top 6 TE for PPR every year. No reason for that to stop..
Couple reasons: Main reason is last year, he slowed up in the last quarter of the season. I don't know that's going to happen but I think it just might. The other thing is I was thinking relatively, guys like Bennett and Davis, and maybe someone else, will exceed him in the rankings when all is said and done I believe. So at the end of the year I just don't really believe he will be in that Group A perhaps automatically leading FF teams to wins.

I'm so glad you wrote this, SaintsInDome. I saw that same post about "gobbling up" TEs that you are referring to. It struck a chord with me because I noticed that this year -- almost every one in my league has a good TE and a solid backup TE. In fact I was even going to post a thread about that topic but it looks like I don't need to now.There is more talent and productivity at the TE position than perhaps ever. Yet, although there's a larger supply of good TEs than before, it's not like an owner can just go hit the waiver wire for a replacement any time they want. This is because owners now feel compelled to not only procure a good starter but also to carry a reliable back up TE that can be put in during byes, injuries, or in case the other one flubs. With most of a league getting so many points out of that position with the likes of Graham, Gronk, et al. nobody wants to be the one owner who isn't getting a lot of points out the TE spot. It creates a big weekly disadvantage. Thus the "don't carry a backup TE" guideline seems to have gone out the window.

So are you guys seeing this trend in your leagues, too? Are owners now hoarding TEs?
Yes. Absolutely. The WW in my league was more active with TEs than any other position this week. Granted, Gates and Hernandez injuries are a part of that but the other part is that TEs are scoring points. Myers in Oakland is a great example. I am a Raider fan and did not see his 11 catches in 2 games coming.

Olsen just had a big game

Pettigrew had a nice game, then played the Niners and still scored a TD to make a nice week. Think he's fine.

'tsarc888 said:
don't you think it's a tad early to be writing off Gates? he was as healthy as he's been in years coming into this season
And he lasted about a quarter before coming down injured. Again.I think his playing style over the year is seriously affecting his longevity. He's been the biggest, baddest mother going over the middle of the field for a gunslinger QB for way too many years. It's like he wears a red shirt that safeties and linebackers target to run and wind up to deliver the biggest blow possible because, well, he's big and that might be what it takes to get him down :unsure:

Tony Scheffler (calf) is listed as doubtful for Week 3.Scheffler didn't practice this week and won't be playing against the Titans. Brandon Pettigrew will hog tight end targets with Will Heller playing a bit role.
With this recent news + the match-up, Pettigrew is a lock for top 5 and IMO top 3 production this week. Hmmm, fanduel value..

'therush said:
'footballnerd said:
Olsen just had a big gamePettigrew had a nice game, then played the Niners and still scored a TD to make a nice week. Think he's fine.
Olsen: 170 yards, 0 TDs in 3 games. Pettigrew: Splitting catches with backup TE. 3 receptions in his last game.
okay...I'm aware of the stats.stats from the first two games does not necessarily translate to the rest of the season, Olsens 7 rec 98 yds this week is a perfect example.Pettigrew had the same situation with Scheffler last year, last game was vs the Niners. Think he's fine this week.

'just_want_2_win said:
So are you guys seeing this trend in your leagues, too?  Are owners now hoarding TEs?
Yup. Most teams in my league are carrying 2 and two of the early waiver picks this week were Bennett and Pitta. 

This is the first year I've felt compelled to have a stud TE and a backup. In the past, I would wait until the late rounds to pick up someone like Greg Olsen and just play the waiver wire game if they don't pan out.

In the past, there were plenty of years when I would end up with someone like Ben Watson as a WW tight end that I would play, and I wouldn't worry too much when they only got me 7-8 points in a PPR league, because only a few other teams were getting much more than that anyway. It was worth it to me to stock up elsewhere.

This year though, I jumped relatively early on Vernon Davis (he was actually the 7th TE off the board, but I was the fourth TE pick on a run in the sixth round), and followed it up with Kyle Rudolph in the 11th round. In the past, I would have been fine to just take Rudolph in the 11th and roll with him. Now though, there is just too much value at the position to hope on a WW option.

'therush said:
'footballnerd said:
Olsen just had a big gamePettigrew had a nice game, then played the Niners and still scored a TD to make a nice week. Think he's fine.
Olsen: 170 yards, 0 TDs in 3 games. Pettigrew: Splitting catches with backup TE. 3 receptions in his last game.
Olsen is on pace for only 75 catches and 900 yards. No TD's though.

After Sunday, Fred Davis will make you rethink your rankings. Led the team last week with 5 targets, Garcon probably out for a while. RGIII will lean on his TE more going forward and it starts on Sunday.

I expect Gates and Fred Davis to make a jump to group A sooner than later. For some reason it feels like it's midseason already and it's tempting to label some guys busts but it's just barely week 3. Must be all the Thursday games that's throwing our internal football clocks off.

I had drafted Fred Davis. I'm in a PPR league and starting Brandon Myers this week. Rudolph scared me off after not seeing many looks last week.

'just_want_2_win said:
So are you guys seeing this trend in your leagues, too?  Are owners now hoarding TEs?
Yup. Most teams in my league are carrying 2 and two of the early waiver picks this week were Bennett and Pitta. 
Heck I hoard TEs even in a league where we don't have to start a TE. Love them as WR 2's and 3's. After the 1st 15 or so WRs, I prefer a solid TE. If Fitz doesn't get it going, I might be starting 3 TEs for the rest of the year.

Speaking of hoarding, when will all leagues just combine the WR and TE slots?

I think it makes sense. The RL line between a WR and TE is growing very thin.

For leagues that don't offer at least one WR/TE slot, it's a shame that only 12 TEs are in starting lineups when there are about 25 helpful TEs in the league right now.

'just_want_2_win said:
Heck I hoard TEs even in a league where we don't have to start a TE. Love them as WR 2's and 3's. After the 1st 15 or so WRs, I prefer a solid TE. If Fitz doesn't get it going, I might be starting 3 TEs for the rest of the year.
Agreed - In my auction league, owners tend to overpay for WRs and underpay for TEs. My strategy was to get two of the top TEs and use one in the flex position every week. I ended up overpaying for Gronk (already had Graham as a cheap keeper). I dominate the TE matchup every week and as a flex I have what amounts to a top end WR #1. The strategy discussed above is sound - especially if the TEs are undervalued (by ADP or $$).

'just_want_2_win said:
Agreed - In my auction league, owners tend to overpay for WRs and underpay for TEs. My strategy was to get two of the top TEs and use one in the flex position every week. I ended up overpaying for Gronk (already had Graham as a cheap keeper). I dominate the TE matchup every week and as a flex I have what amounts to a top end WR #1. The strategy discussed above is sound - especially if the TEs are undervalued (by ADP or $$).
Yeah, without an official TE slot, they do get undervalued and overlooked in that league. Obviously, it's changing a bit now, but I still think a lot of the league undervalues them (i.e. thinks of them as TE's instead the true QB binky's that so many of them are becoming).I'm sure some actual data will refute this, but I've always had the feeling that a solid TE is more reliable than a low end WR3. Now, those "solid" TE's are also coming with a good amount of weekly upside too.

Users who are viewing this thread