What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Michael Mayer, LV (1 Viewer)

This is no doubt a disappointing development if you are holding shares of Mayer. However, there is some hope that Mayer is the Gronk to Bowers' Hernandez. I am buying shares of Mayer if they drop.
I feel like they did drop. I watched a ton of Mayer in college and the kid is amazing. Talent is there... the situation though...

I'd buy for the right price. Which I'm is feeling in the range of a prospect WR, RB4-5 range, maybe late 3rd.

This is no doubt a disappointing development if you are holding shares of Mayer. However, there is some hope that Mayer is the Gronk to Bowers' Hernandez. I am buying shares of Mayer if they drop.
Slim hope indeed. I can’t think of any other examples of two fantasy relevant TEs on the same team.

Mayer's talent hasn't changed. He was still an early 2nd round pick. For my context, I'm locked and loaded at TE and currently carrying too many of them. I can keep 19 of 24 into our 12-team draft of a non-TE premium league.

I think I'm dropping both Kraft and Mayer. Noah Gray and Noah Fant are other free agents in my league that I find somewhat compelling, and it feels like any of these guys are more likely to pop before Mayer, even if Mayer is the best talent. If his circumstances allow me to scoop him back up at the price of a 4th or 5th in the rookie/free agent draft, I might still be in at that price.

FWIW, it seems like Waldman has always been "out" on Mayer's fantasy upside.

Slim hope indeed. I can’t think of any other examples of two fantasy relevant TEs on the same team.

Bill Belichick was attempting to build an offensive scheme built around two tight ends who both could have been very fantasy football relevant with Robert Gronkowski as the inline weapon and with Aaron Hernandez as the joker/offensive weapon/movable chess piece. It would have worked IMHO if not for the incredible criminal meltdown that Hernandez had.

The problem here for the Raiders is that they don’t have a Tom Brady at QB, Michael Mayer is not a Gronk level talent, and there are unknown questions about whether Luke Getsy can develop a creative scheme to make both players viable for most leagues to draft and be able to start both players for fantasy football purposes.

#RIP

crazy to look back 2 years and this dude was seen “the next great NFL TE out of Notre Dame”

Now he’s gonna get passed up on his own team. Yikes.

Bill Belichick was attempting to build an offensive scheme built around two tight ends who both could have been very fantasy football relevant with Robert Gronkowski as the inline weapon and with Aaron Hernandez as the joker/offensive weapon/movable chess piece. It would have worked IMHO if not for the incredible criminal meltdown that Hernandez had.

The problem here for the Raiders is that they don’t have a Tom Brady at QB, Michael Mayer is not a Gronk level talent, and there are unknown questions about whether Luke Getsy can develop a creative scheme to make both players viable for most leagues to draft and be able to start both players for fantasy football purposes.
Excellent points. Mayer is not a Gronk-level talent. However, Mayer could fill the role in the offense of a traditional in-line TE, with Bowers filling the OW role. I am not sure Bowers' presence automatically means that Mayer is sidelined. I do not have great confidence in the Raiders' coaching staff or their QB play. Still, those elements are likely to push Mayer's value down, making the price palatable. You are not going to get the next Gronk at that price, but I believe Mayer is talented and may have some value, even with Bowers in the fold.

Excellent points. Mayer is not a Gronk-level talent. However, Mayer could fill the role in the offense of a traditional in-line TE, with Bowers filling the OW role. I am not sure Bowers' presence automatically means that Mayer is sidelined. I do not have great confidence in the Raiders' coaching staff or their QB play. Still, those elements are likely to push Mayer's value down, making the price palatable. You are not going to get the next Gronk at that price, but I believe Mayer is talented and may have some value, even with Bowers in the fold.
Yeah, maybe value to the Raiders, but forget any fantasy value.

Users who are viewing this thread