What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Kyle Pitts, ATL (1 Viewer)

This situation just showing that coaching really matters in player production.

He has all the tools to be a top 5 TE but the coaching is awful and wasting talent of Pitts.
Poor coaching? Did you pick the Falcons to be tied for first place with the Bucs in their division 7 games into the season? They easily could have won two of those games as well. Look at their upcoming schedule. There are lots of winnable games. The “poor coaching” thing is far from true. The Falcons have massively over-exceeded their expectations so far this season. If anything—if there was a vote for coach of the year at this point in the season—you’d have to consider the Falcons coach. NFL coaches don’t care about fantasy production. We care about that. An NFL coach is supposed to devise a strategy that gives his team the best chance of winning. For the Falcons—that is limiting the number of possessions by keeping the clock running, and to try to limit turnovers. They run the ball a lot to keep the clock running, and most of the passes they attempt are short and high percentage. This recipe has put one of the least talented football teams at a tie at the top of their division, and has kept them really competitive in all but 1 game so far. It’s just odd that people still think that somehow their coaching sucks given all of this.

Arthur Smith has done a good job coaching the Falcons but it's absolutely okay to question the marriage of Atlanta's roster construction with this game plan. There just seems to be a giant disconnect between the draft picks and the scheme and I don't know who is responsible.

I'm not saying anything everyone does not know but they are basically playing the opposite of a team that used that kind of draft capital on a pass catching TE and WR. Meanwhile they've not spent a lot of premium picks on OL and run out one of the least talented RB rooms in the league. None of it makes sense for how they chose to construct their roster.

Last edited:

He has all the tools to be a top 5 TE but the coaching is awful and wasting talent of Pitts.
Poor coaching? Did you pick the Falcons to be tied for first place with the Bucs in their division 7 games into the season? They easily could have won two of those games as well. Look at their upcoming schedule. There are lots of winnable games. The “poor coaching” thing is far from true. The Falcons have massively over-exceeded their expectations so far this season. If anything—if there was a vote for coach of the year at this point in the season—you’d have to consider the Falcons coach. NFL coaches don’t care about fantasy production. We care about that. An NFL coach is supposed to devise a strategy that gives his team the best chance of winning. For the Falcons—that is limiting the number of possessions by keeping the clock running, and to try to limit turnovers. They run the ball a lot to keep the clock running, and most of the passes they attempt are short and high percentage. This recipe has put one of the least talented football teams at a tie at the top of their division, and has kept them really competitive in all but 1 game so far. It’s just odd that people still think that somehow their coaching sucks given all of this.
the Falcons have a negative point differential, are 0-2 in their division (Bucs are 2-1 and Panthers are 2-0)

a NFL coach IS supposed to devise a strategy that gives his team the best chance of winning. typically this involves using your best players in ways that maximize them. in this game they found a way to get Tyler Allgeier 16 touches, Caleb Huntley 5 and Olamide Zaccheaus 3 touches. Drake London and Kyle Pitts combined for 4 touches on 6 targets. they attempted 13 passes and 30% of their targets went to Zaccheaus! if they burned an 8th overall and a 4th overall pick on London and Pitts, and aren't using them then they wasted those picks. 1 target for Drake London is incredible. for comparison, the Bengals got their backup TE two targets.

they have topped 150 passing yards exactly once in their last 5 games (229 vs Seattle 5 games ago) - the last two have been 129 and 124. they are averaging 21.4 pass attempts per game, just ahead of Chicago who is at 19.4 and is on a historic low. when you, on average, go 13.1 of 21.4 in the passing game for 151 yards you aren't going to win much.

they lost the TOP 27/33 to Cincy this week. they won TOP basically 33/27 vs SF. flat tie in TOP vs TB. lost TOP vs Cleveland (24/36). lost TOP to Seahawks 28/31. flat tie vs Rams. won TOP 26/33 vs the Saints. this is despite having the 4th most rushing attempts per game - in a weird flip they run 37.7 attempts at home and 29.5 on the road.

the Falcons are right in the middle of the pack in turnovers. they aren't particularly good at getting turnovers (+2 for the year), they aren't particularly good at not turning it over,

people think their coaching staff sucks because it isn't a sustainable process moving forward and isn't a way to win games short/medium/long term.

you are acting like they are the Eagles. Eagles lead the NFL in TOP at 33:59 average, lead the NFL in turnovers at +12 in turnovers (2 turnovers , 14 takeaways), average 20/30 for 238 passing yards per game (they are 24/32 in passing attempts in the league), rush the most of any team in the NFL, have a +56 point differential and are 2-0 in their division.

just because they share the same general concepts of running it a lot, hope to win TOP, don't pass that much doesn't mean it's a good game plan with the players they have.

they are absolutely not the Eagles. the game vs the Bengals shows in a lot of ways what their game plan is. they exit halftime down 11 points at 17-28. in the second half they go 3 and out (rush, pass, pass), 3 and out (rush, sack, scramble), 5 and out for 9 yards (rush, pass, rush, scramble, sack) then have a 9 play drive followed by a punt. TOP for each drive was 50 seconds, ~2 min, 3:20, 5 min. in the second half of a game they could have made closer they had 4 drives, 4 punts, 20 plays, 40 yards for an average of 2 yards per play. for comparison, the Bengals had 4 drives, 34 plays, 197 yards, 5.8 YPP. they turned it over on dows, scored a TD, punted and then finished the game with a 17 play, 94 yard drive that finished with them kneeling it on the 3 yard line to end the game. that's a horrific game plan from the Falcons no matter how you look at it.

Have any of the local ATL beat writers challenged Arthur Smith this week? I'd love to hear his defense of not throwing when down big.

You're supposed to design a system around the players you have, not force fit a square peg into a round hole.

Have any of the local ATL beat writers challenged Arthur Smith this week? I'd love to hear his defense of not throwing when down big.

You're supposed to design a system around the players you have, not force fit a square peg into a round hole.
I would assume they don't throw because they think Mariotta can't throw?

the Falcons have a negative point differential, are 0-2 in their division (Bucs are 2-1 and Panthers are 2-0)

a NFL coach IS supposed to devise a strategy that gives his team the best chance of winning. typically this involves using your best players in ways that maximize them. in this game they found a way to get Tyler Allgeier 16 touches, Caleb Huntley 5 and Olamide Zaccheaus 3 touches. Drake London and Kyle Pitts combined for 4 touches on 6 targets. they attempted 13 passes and 30% of their targets went to Zaccheaus! if they burned an 8th overall and a 4th overall pick on London and Pitts, and aren't using them then they wasted those picks. 1 target for Drake London is incredible. for comparison, the Bengals got their backup TE two targets.

they have topped 150 passing yards exactly once in their last 5 games (229 vs Seattle 5 games ago) - the last two have been 129 and 124. they are averaging 21.4 pass attempts per game, just ahead of Chicago who is at 19.4 and is on a historic low. when you, on average, go 13.1 of 21.4 in the passing game for 151 yards you aren't going to win much.

they lost the TOP 27/33 to Cincy this week. they won TOP basically 33/27 vs SF. flat tie in TOP vs TB. lost TOP vs Cleveland (24/36). lost TOP to Seahawks 28/31. flat tie vs Rams. won TOP 26/33 vs the Saints. this is despite having the 4th most rushing attempts per game - in a weird flip they run 37.7 attempts at home and 29.5 on the road.

the Falcons are right in the middle of the pack in turnovers. they aren't particularly good at getting turnovers (+2 for the year), they aren't particularly good at not turning it over,

people think their coaching staff sucks because it isn't a sustainable process moving forward and isn't a way to win games short/medium/long term.

you are acting like they are the Eagles. Eagles lead the NFL in TOP at 33:59 average, lead the NFL in turnovers at +12 in turnovers (2 turnovers , 14 takeaways), average 20/30 for 238 passing yards per game (they are 24/32 in passing attempts in the league), rush the most of any team in the NFL, have a +56 point differential and are 2-0 in their division.

just because they share the same general concepts of running it a lot, hope to win TOP, don't pass that much doesn't mean it's a good game plan with the players they have.

they are absolutely not the Eagles. the game vs the Bengals shows in a lot of ways what their game plan is. they exit halftime down 11 points at 17-28. in the second half they go 3 and out (rush, pass, pass), 3 and out (rush, sack, scramble), 5 and out for 9 yards (rush, pass, rush, scramble, sack) then have a 9 play drive followed by a punt. TOP for each drive was 50 seconds, ~2 min, 3:20, 5 min. in the second half of a game they could have made closer they had 4 drives, 4 punts, 20 plays, 40 yards for an average of 2 yards per play. for comparison, the Bengals had 4 drives, 34 plays, 197 yards, 5.8 YPP. they turned it over on dows, scored a TD, punted and then finished the game with a 17 play, 94 yard drive that finished with them kneeling it on the 3 yard line to end the game. that's a horrific game plan from the Falcons no matter how you look at it.
I think you have described it well. The Falcons were predicted to be one of the worst teams this year which was incorrect, they are exceeding expectations. But I think that has more to do with how many bad teams there are this year. No one in the NFC South has a winning record, CAR and Indy are now actively looking at next year. Houston and Detroit everyone knew would likely be bad. JAX can’t ever seem to get their act together. But Denver was not expected to be this bad, neither was the entirety of the NFC West.

Sea and LaC have two of the worst defenses in the league and yet are somehow 4-3 each, I think it’s likely the same story as with ATL. Playing better than expected sure, but also beating a lot of bad teams.

Imagine paying an athlete millions to not perform a basic part of his job on Sundays.

Atlanta being tied for the division lead is 99% due to the fact that the rest of their division is bad so far this year. Winning a bad division means nothing. Who won the AFC South in 2018? Nobody remembers because winning your division equals a 5x10 banner on the stadium wall and that's it. Unless you're the Patriots and win it 42 times in a row, then it's a bragging point I guess.

But sure, in a game that you're behind by multiple scores the entire time, anytime you can get Tyler Allgeier and Caleb Huntley triple the amount of touches as Pitts and London, I mean you gotta do it amirite?

Arthur Smith has done a good job coaching the Falcons but it's absolutely okay to question the marriage of Atlanta's roster construction with this game plan. There just seems to be a giant disconnect between the draft picks and the scheme and I don't know who is responsible.

I'm not saying anything everyone does not know but they are basically playing the opposite of a team that used that kind of draft capital on a pass catching TE and WR. Meanwhile they've not spent a lot of premium picks on OL and run out one of the least talented RB rooms in the league. None of it makes sense for how they chose to construct their roster.

I'm really starting to think the Falcons are building their offense as if they're in a dynasty rebuild. They're not really trying to win these games or their division, it's just that the division is so bad they're currently the shinest turd on the pile.

Ship off the aging vet QB for whatever you can get, draft some shiny receivers but keep their plastic wrap on for now, waste another year running your no-name RBs and try to get one more good draft slot so you can land Young/Stroud/etc. and then try and start competing after that.

It’s just crazy to me that he was the 4th pick overall and they refuse to use him. If he was a third-round pick I could just say we’re all dumb and missed all the signs. This is just insanity.
TEs are just a waste land. Teams draft these guys high and they all seem to be wastes of time. I remember OJ Howard was the Pitts of his draft. Pitts had a functional rookie year, but i don’t get this. Is Mariota this bad?

Smith did design a system around Mariota. If you look at his career, he is one of the best operating out of play action. Once they are trailing by 2 scores, they need a QB change. He needs to bring in Ridder or trade for Matt Ryan 😂

They should just play ridder and see what they’ve got in him. They need to be realistic they aren’t going anywhere this year and mariota isn’t the long term answer. No reason not to plug in the young qb and see what he’s got

They should just play ridder and see what they’ve got in him. They need to be realistic they aren’t going anywhere this year and mariota isn’t the long term answer. No reason not to plug in the young qb and see what he’s got
Easy for you to say but that coach wants to keep his job. He’s not going to toss an untested rookie out there just because.

Easy for you to say but that coach wants to keep his job. He’s not going to toss an untested rookie out there just because.
I agree. But at some point, I don't think it's unheard of for a GM to step in and make that decision for the coach. Not saying Atlanta is there yet. But they might get there at some point.

I agree. But at some point, I don't think it's unheard of for a GM to step in and make that decision for the coach. Not saying Atlanta is there yet. But they might get there at some point.

Agreed... it also just seems crazy to me that organizations at this level could have a HC and GM with different goals. The entire organization should be on the same page, but somehow this dysfunction exists in multiple organizations.

Just offered Engram to the 5 Pitts owners in the IBL. 2 of them have been riding Pitts solo and two had Nkjou as their backup. We'll test this theory that's he's about to be dropped.

Just offered Engram to the 5 Pitts owners in the IBL. 2 of them have been riding Pitts solo and two had Nkjou as their backup. We'll test this theory that's he's about to be dropped.
I took your teammates offer of Higbee for him

Atlanta being tied for the division lead is 99% due to the fact that the rest of their division is bad so far this year. Winning a bad division means nothing. Who won the AFC South in 2018? Nobody remembers because winning your division equals a 5x10 banner on the stadium wall and that's it. Unless you're the Patriots and win it 42 times in a row, then it's a bragging point I guess.

But sure, in a game that you're behind by multiple scores the entire time, anytime you can get Tyler Allgeier and Caleb Huntley triple the amount of touches as Pitts and London, I mean you gotta do it amirite?
I think I’m being mis-understood here. I’m not justifying or defending what the Falcons are doing. I’m a Pitts redraft owner. I‘d love nothing more than to see the Falcons change things up and get him involved. I’m not advocating their strategy—I’m trying to look at it as objectively as possible. The facts are that the Falcons are over achieving with a strategy that has been horribly fantasy unfriendly for Pitts. I don’t believe that teams have to be married to a guy based on the draft capital that they paid for him. Jalen Reagor was a first round pick in 2020 and his team let him go for next to nothing a short time later. If the Falcons are super competitive in 6 out of 7 games with Mariota running the ball, throwing minimally, and with Algier and Huntley getting triple the number of touches as Pitts—-they are likely to keep implementing that same strategy in my opinion. I hope I‘m wrong—and I’m not advocating for them to do it—but objectively I haven’t seen any reason for them to really change things up yet. Hopefully that changes. I will be stuck starting Pitts again this week—and frankly—my comfort and confidence level in having to do so is basically zero.

I can see the argument. IBL is a win now league with only a 12 week regular season. I see Pitts bouncing back, but spotting 5 points a week to opponents starts adding up in the win column.

Redraft I presume?
Anyone getting him in dynasty?
Best dynasty offer I've gotten for Pitts so far is Amari Cooper straight up.

He was traded a few weeks ago in one of my leagues straight up for Kelce between 2 contenders.

A week ago he was traded for Kittle & Sutton in another league (before Kittle’s big game but after McC was traded to SF.)

whats the takeaway? He finally delivered--but needless to say--Atlanta was very fortunate to walk away with a win from a really bad team. The Falcons are sitting atop their division (albeit a very crappy division). In redraft--are you guys feeling good about starting again, are you holding or are you looking to sell? By necessity--I'm attempting to sell him. I'm in a must win position and am decimated by several players having a bye this week. Just trying to gauge what the opinions are at this moment.

whats the takeaway? He finally delivered--but needless to say--Atlanta was very fortunate to walk away with a win from a really bad team. The Falcons are sitting atop their division (albeit a very crappy division). In redraft--are you guys feeling good about starting again, are you holding or are you looking to sell? By necessity--I'm attempting to sell him. I'm in a must win position and am decimated by several players having a bye this week. Just trying to gauge what the opinions are at this moment.
Starting again. Conklin and Engram on the wire but I just can't bring myself to drop him.

Kyle Pitts caught 2-of-7 targets for 17 yards in the Falcons' Week 9 loss to the Chargers.

Pitts' receiving line could have looked a lot better, but he and Marcus Mariota failed to connect on a deep shot that would have netted the tight end over 70 yards and a score. The ball appeared to be overthrown, though Pitts could also be blamed for failing to adjust to the pass while it was in the air. This was the fifth time Pitts was held under 20 yards this season. He has posted a few notable performances, but most of the second-year tight end's season has been a disappointment. He sits on the TE1/2 borderline for his Week 10 matchup with the Panthers.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Debating Pitts or Dulcich (although I may need to plug in Dulcich in my flex anyways).

Pitts had a great game against CAR a couple weeks ago. The matchup is certainly there. Mariotta quotes above a bit reassuring.

That said, could be sloppy tonight. Wind/Rain probably means ATL runs the ball 50 times. And it's a Thursday night game to boot. Doesn't seem like a ceiling opportunity but he could get loose if god forbid he converts 25% of last weeks air yards into actual reception yards.

I feel like I have to start him. Only alternative is Njoku, who definitely isn’t at 100%, or a WW addition (Higbee, Otton?). Hoping for anything at this point. This may be the week I cut ties with Pitts.

I feel like I have to start him. Only alternative is Njoku, who definitely isn’t at 100%, or a WW addition (Higbee, Otton?). Hoping for anything at this point. This may be the week I cut ties with Pitts.
i just traded for Pitts, and have Cole Kmet. will be over-thinking this one up until kick-off

only thing i am sure of is that i will pick the wrong one and the guy on the bench will likely go off

Starting Higbee over him in one league. He faces Arizona who is horrible against TE's.

Starting Dulcich over Pitts in another league.

In the third one I think I have to start Pitts though, my other option is Njoku and him playing is a gamble. I really hate having to carry two TE's in all these leagues, and I absolutely refuse to pick up a third one if I lost the Njoku gamble.

NFL Fantasy 2022 Start 'Em, Sit 'Em Week 10: Tight ends

Excerpt:

Yeah, Pitts failed to reach five fantasy points in Week 9, but go look at the tight end scoring from last week. It was gross. We know that Pitts has a low floor in this version of the Falcons offense, but he has a higher ceiling than most tight ends. Pitts has four games with seven or more targets -- two of them have come in the last two weeks. In Week 9, Pitts had a 30% target share and saw 39% of the team's air yards. His 197 air yards in Week 9 were the most a tight end has seen in any game this season. I was hard on Arthur Smith earlier this season for not throwing the ball to Pitts. It didn’t lead to a bunch of production last week, but consistent volume is all we want for Pitts. If he sees that, more often than not his talent will win out. Especially in a matchup like this week against the Panthers. Not only have they allowed 10.8 fantasy PPG to tight ends, which ranks middle of the pack, but Pitts’ best game of the season came against them. That was in Week 8 when he saw a season-high nine targets, catching five of them for 80 yards and a touchdown. He scored a season-high 19 fantasy points in that one. It's worth taking the upside swing and getting Pitts in your starting lineup this week.

So glad I cut this guy, don't even care I missed his week 8 "explosion". Running with Dulcich and Schultz from here, at least when my expectations aren't met by them, I can recall I didn't waste a 4th round pick on either one.

Watching this team and their game plan and hoping for Pitts to get involved is like watching grass grow. Actually I think watching grass grow might be more exciting. I can’t believe I drafted him as high as I did His rookie year in my dynasty league. I’ve invested so many assets in trying to cover starting TE in that league when I should be investing resources in other more important positions in this years draft and this years waivers it makes me sick. The falcons literally could have dropped down ten spots from #4 in the draft and picked up more assets AND someone more useful to their build than picking Pitts and using him the way they are. He’s basically running around aimlessly downfield for them and when he actually gets a target its so off target he’ll never catch it. He’s going to get hurt out there chasing targets from mariota. Trade him to cincy, Dallas, Miami, chargers, buffalo, shoot wherever and he’d stand a better chance to be used successfully than Atlanta.
just give this guy targets and let his talent take over is that so difficult Arthur Smith?

Almost all his targets are uncatchable, yet MM threads a needle to London, smh.
Exactly. I don’t get it. Maybe he’s running his routes wrong? Something’s going on…

new Ardbeg Hypernova coming out this week I hope you’re on your local stores list for it as it’s highly allocated to accounts. I’m a rep in NY for Ardbeg everyone’s clobbering me over the head for a bottle here in WNY.

Almost all his targets are uncatchable, yet MM threads a needle to London, smh.
Exactly. I don’t get it. Maybe he’s running his routes wrong? Something’s going on…

new Ardbeg Hypernova coming out this week I hope you’re on your local stores list for it as it’s highly allocated to accounts. I’m a rep in NY for Ardbeg everyone’s clobbering me over the head for a bottle here in WNY.
He wasn't this bad with Ryan last year. Michigan sucks for liquor distribution and the place in Minnesota I would order from just stopped shipping to Michigan :cry:

Users who are viewing this thread