What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Jimmy Graham, CHI (1 Viewer)

Graham's a guy worth monitoring for those looking at late round TE's or a cheap backup TE. He's being written off for a number of reasons and could be a candidate for a bounce back.

• Finished as TE14 last year and is being drafted as TE18 this year according to FFC
  • His 636 yds last year were in-line with all TE rec yds in the TE6-12 range last year (569 - 682)
  • His 2 TD's last year resulted in the TE14 finish. All TE's in the TE6-12 range had at least 4 TD's (except Gronk with 3 TD's). It isn't unreasonable for a positive regression to the mean and getting to 4 or 5 TD's. 4 TD's with his yardage last year would've given him a TE8 finish, 5 TD's would've been a TE6 finish.
  • He had thumb and knee issues all of last year. Not to say he won't pick up an injury this year but he's healthy to start camp. He's attended every practice/session thus far.
  • Rodgers noted last year's offense featured Graham as the #3 and usually #4 receiving option while that won't be the same with this year's offense.
  • Graham is the only TE13+ being drafted this year that's a full time starter with an elite QB throwing him the ball.
Maybe he's old and washed up or maybe he has a bounce back season. I don't see Robert Tonyan overtaking him and is anyone really expecting a mid-round rookie to play over him? TE is one of the most difficult positions to make a Year 1 impact. Graham's available in the double digit rounds and likely to be had in auction for $1-2. A nice lotto ticket with mid/low TE1 potential that should show his colors early on whether he's useful or can be cut bait from.

I'm probably not optomistic enough to touch him.  I suspect he'll continue to slow down.  

He's being drafted around TE 17/18.  Guys I'd prefer to take a lotto ticket on instead:  Mark Andrews, Hockenson, Fant, and even Jordan Reed.  I'm more able to buy the idea of Reed being healthy enough to matter than I am the idea of Graham having a better season at 33.  

Rodgers noted last year's offense featured Graham as the #3 and usually #4 receiving option while that won't be the same with this year's offense.
I agree with this statement, but not in the direction you are implying. I see him as no better than the 4th receiving option, and maybe 5th. 

Jimmy Graham (finger) was limited in practice Monday.

Graham has been dealing with a finger injury in training camp, but he's expected to suit up Thursday night against the Bears. Coach Matt LaFleur noted Monday, "I think he's done a great job. He told me it was game week, 'What finger?'" Still, the 32-year-old tight end hasn't been able to consistently separate for quite some time and posted an underwhelming 55-636-2 receiving line in 16 games last season. Graham is a thin play at best in season-long formats in a Packers offense that is expected to lean on the run game more in 2019.

SOURCE: Adam Caplan on Twitter.

Sep 2, 2019, 5:49 PM ET

Jimmy Graham (finger) was upgraded to "full" in Tuesday's practice.

Graham's finger isn't a concern ahead of Thursday's opener, but his 2018 play is. Graham figures to experience some positive scoring regression this season after finding the end zone only twice in 2018, but he looks like a touchdown-dependent TE2 in fantasy.

Sep 3, 2019, 4:16 PM ET

Don't have high expectations but a guy I'm winding up with given his price. Finished 2019 as TE12 overall. Don't think it's outrageous to expect a few more TDs in Year 2 with Rodgers and he'll be in mid TE1 territory.

Given the how prone the position is to injury, I rarely put a great investment into the position. The more costly, "higher upside" younger guys outside of the "Big 3" have warts of their own.

GB just put their TE draft pick this year on IR so one less worry about Jimmy.

Last edited by a moderator:
If your TEs are crap (and play on platform where this is allowed), it could be a good idea top pick up JG to see how he plays on Thursday and drop him if he sucks to get another flier.

Jimmy Graham collected three catches for 30 yards and a touchdown on six targets Thursday in the Packers’ Week 1 victory over the Bears.

Graham skied over Deon Bush (not exactly a fair fight given their seven-inch height difference) for an eight-yard touchdown in the second quarter. That stood as the game's lone touchdown on a night when neither offense showed much life. Graham's touchdown prowess wasn't apparent when he found pay-dirt on just two occasions last year, but he's still a massive target for one of the greatest quarterbacks ever in Aaron Rodgers. Though not the game-changer he was during his Saints heyday, Graham will still flash from time to time as he did Thursday night. Next up for Green Bay is a date with the division-rival Vikings in Week 2.

Sep 6, 2019, 12:20 AM ET

I agree. No. Not until we see if McCarthy is relieved of his HC job. Graham is actually having his 3rd best ypc season. The stats don't back that he's slowing down dramatically. Horrible playcalling and lack of targets is the problem. The offense stinks right now.
Like I said, not done and if not for the penalty on the deep pass down the seam, he would have had a vintage Jimmy Graham day.

Why do you think? He seemed like he had a reasonable game even aside from the TD. Got interfered with a couple times, one on a 20+ yard seam route. Targeted in the flat with a throw too low; total of 6 targets, second on the team. Looks like he'll be a part of the game plan and get at least occasional TDs.
Looks bad out there moving brother. The TD was a fluke. That's an int most times. I'd sell him on this game. Get whatever you can. 

Graham looked like his old self on TNF. The Pack could do a lot worse than making him the no. 3 target after Adams and MVS, and he'd be a solid red zone complement to Adams. Just an observation.

Lost me but if you like him you should keep him. He hasn't looked good for years to me. Good luck. 
Aside from a few exceptions, it usually seems to take a year for a QB to get on the same page as his TE.  And this is a new offense for everyone.  

I thought he looked fine.  Not slow as molasses like Gates or Witten are/were; not as fast as Engram or Hockenson are.  But Graham looked fluid for his age to me.  He seems a little bigger in the chest.  He kept good body positioning consistently.  I like what I saw, but I would want to see that for another 3 games before I declared him back to 100%.    

Jimmy Graham (groin) remained sidelined on Thursday.

The Pack have promoted TE Evan Baylis, and beat writer Rob Demovsky believes the Pack are "concerned" about Graham's status. Even if Graham does play, it appears it will be at far less than full health. He should be faded all the way down the TE2 ranks.

SOURCE: Ryan Wood on Twitter

Sep 19, 2019, 1:57 PM ET

Jimmy Graham is officially active for the Packers' Week 3 game against the Broncos.

Graham was able to get in a practice on Friday, so this was expected. He'll be a touchdown-dependent TE2 once again. The Packers ruled WR Jake Kumerow, RB Dexter Williams, CB Ka'dar Hollman, LB Oren Burks, G Cole Madison, G/T Adam Pankey, and DL Montravius Adams as inactive.

SOURCE: Packers.com

Sep 22, 2019, 11:33 AM ET

Jimmy Graham (groin, quad) was listed as a DNP for the Packers' Monday practice.

The Packers didn't actually practice Monday, but were required to submit an estimated injury report. Graham hasn't caught a pass since Week 1 and played just 42% of the offense's snaps in Week 3. He shouldn't be considered as a fantasy option while playing at far less than 100% in the Packers' mediocre offense.

SOURCE: Tom Silverstein on Twitter.

Sep 23, 2019, 4:44 PM ET

2 straight donuts.

Had higher hopes for some TD value from him in Year 2 but doesn't look like the case with the offense shifting to run heavier offense.

Jimmy Graham caught 6-of-9 targets for 61 yards and a touchdown in the Packers' Week 4 loss to the Eagles.

Graham also drew a six-yard DPI on Jonathan Cyprien. It was a nice night on paper, but two of Graham's missed connections came in the end zone on one-yard targets from Aaron Rodgers. The third was a late first half play where Graham literally turned his back to his quarterback. The duo continue to display close to zero chemistry. Graham's two 2019 scores do already match his total from last season. He will be a touchdown-dependent TE2 for Week 5 against the Cowboys.

Sep 27, 2019, 12:24 AM ET

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel's Jim Owczarski believes Jimmy Graham is "set up for another heavy workload" in Week 5 against the Cowboys.

Graham went for a season-high 61 yards and a touchdown in the Packers' Week 4 loss. With Davante Adams sidelined, he's in line for another big role. Graham's increased target share gives him a higher floor this week, but he remains touchdown dependent.

SOURCE: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

Oct 5, 2019, 9:05 AM ET

Picked him up as a one week play in a league where I am hurting at te.  Hoping to play Herndon after this week but I think Jimmy could have a good game tomorrow with Adam's out

Jimmy Graham caught 2-of-5 targets for 17 yards in the Packers' Week 6 win over the Lions.

Completely devoid of speed and ball skills at this stage of his career, Graham is screaming down the Antonio Gates path as a catch-and-fall guy while seeing red-zone looks. Graham is an unexciting low-floor option for Week 7 against the Raiders.

Oct 15, 2019, 12:30 AM ET

Given how good he used to be, I'm surprised by how far he has fallen and how quickly. He's only 32 years old. Witten and Gonzo were still going strong at this age.

Graham has become total roster poison.

He was once great...led my FF teams to championships but now, it’s sad to watch him run in quicksand, mis-time jumps and has a hard time catching  contested balls. Truth be told, I don’t really think he understands the offense either. RIP Jimmy :bow:

Given how good he used to be, I'm surprised by how far he has fallen and how quickly. He's only 32 years old. Witten and Gonzo were still going strong at this age.

Graham has become total roster poison.
Gates as well IIRC. I think one big difference between those three and Graham is that they knew the intricacies of the position - such as being able to get open even when they lost a few steps, body control, etc. Graham, on the other hand, has always relied on his elite athleticism and now that it’s largely gone, the wheels fell off quicker.

He was once great...led my FF teams to championships but now, it’s sad to watch him run in quicksand, mis-time jumps and has a hard time catching  contested balls. Truth be told, I don’t really think he understands the offense either. RIP Jimmy :bow:
All of this.  It’s truly remarkable that any time there’s a play that you think he should reasonably make, he doesn’t.  I can’t imagine why they keep trotting him out there, other than his contract.  

Packers coach Matt LaFleur said there are "no plans" to reduce Jimmy Graham's role moving forward.

Not only are there no plans to relieve Graham in favor of preseason star Robert Tonyan and vet Mercedes Lewis, LaFleur said he wants "to make sure [Graham] knows we believe in him." Even with Davante Adams (toe) out the past two games, Graham's merely caught 5-of-8 targets for 58 yards and a dropped touchdown in that stretch. With the Packers declaring rookie TE Jace Sternberger eligible to return from IR, it's possible Graham's phased out of the offense entirely by Week 10.

Oct 16, 2019, 4:41 PM ET

Jimmy Graham (ankle) "did not participate" Wednesday according to the Packers' estimated practice report.

The Packers' DNP list on Wednesday includes Graham, Davante Adams (toe), Marquez Valdes-Scantling (ankle, knee), and Geronimo Allison (concussion, chest). If you're reading this, there's a chance the Packers call you for a pass-catching tryout at this point. It's unclear how serious Graham's ankle injury is, so we'll have to wait until Thursday and Friday's injury report to clear things up, but he could be settling in for a slightly larger workload Week 7 if the receivers are unable to heal up in time. To date, Graham has been a zero-floor TE2 even with Adams missing time.

SOURCE: Tom Silverstein on Twitter

Oct 16, 2019, 7:42 PM ET

Jimmy Graham caught 4-of-4 targets for 65 yards and a touchdown in the Packers' Week 7 win over the Raiders.

The four catches were Graham's second most of the year, while the 65 yards were a new season high. Graham offers practically no ceiling, but he has managed to establish a low-end TE1 floor. The Packers have an attackable Week 8 matchup in the Chiefs.

Oct 20, 2019, 7:28 PM ET

Jimmy Graham caught his only target for 16 yards in the Packers' Week 13 win over the Giants.

Graham is one of the most touchdown-dependent TEs in the league. The emergence of Allen Lazard in recent weeks has further depleted Graham’s already-volatile target share. Treat Graham as more of an upside TE2 in Week 14 against the Redskins compared to a low-end TE1.

Dec 1, 2019, 4:37 PM ET

Jimmy Graham caught 3-of-5 targets for 49 yards in Week 14 against the Redskins.

Graham was the Packers' leading receiver behind Aaron Jones (six catches, 58 yards). He was wide open for a would-be 46-yard TD but was overthrown by Aaron Rodgers. This was one of Graham's better games over the last month. Graham gets a matchup with Chicago in Week 15.

Jimmy Graham caught 3-of-4 targets for 49 yards in the Packers' Divisional round win over the Seahawks.

The 49 yards matches his single-game most since Week 11. Graham's big play was a third-down catch he took all the way to the marker to run out the clock on the Seahawks' season late in the fourth quarter. The spot was reviewed, but the refs let the original call of a first down stand despite it appearing short of the sticks. Graham won't be a fantasy option for next week's NFC title match with the 49ers.

Jan 12, 2020, 10:29 PM ET

Jimmy Graham caught 4-of-5 targets for 59 yards in the Packers' NFC Championship Game loss to the 49ers.

Graham appeared to score a 43-yard touchdown in the opening seconds of the fourth quarter but was ruled down at the one-yard line. He heads into the offseason with 109 yards over his past two games, his second best two-game stretch of 2019-20. That tells you all you need to know about where 33-year-old Graham's game is at this point. Still under contract for one more season, Graham has never established on-field chemistry with Aaron Rodgers and has little explosion left in his legs. Third-round rookie Jace Sternberger saw his playing time increase down the stretch. Cutting Graham would clear $8 million in cap space while leaving behind just $3.36 million in dead money.

Jan 19, 2020, 10:08 PM ET

Don't know GBs cap space situation but I'd imagine saving 8 mill in cap space would be the way to go regardless.  Graham had mad chemistry with Brees but it never clicked with Wilson or Rodgers.
I think it's less about chemistry and more that he just wasn't the same player after his serious injury (post Saints). Seattle did find a way to get red zone production from him though.

I think it's less about chemistry and more that he just wasn't the same player after his serious injury (post Saints). Seattle did find a way to get red zone production from him though.
He became somewhat of a burden (albeit, he never really openly complained to the media)  in Seattle even before his injury; it almost seemed like he had to be forced  into game action at times.  He had an unwillingness to get physical, alligator armed passes when going across the middle...etc.  Substantially lesser athletic TEs have been quite effective in the passing game in Seattle since Graham's departure. 

If Graham happens to retire after this year; his career consists of passing catches from Brees, Wilson, and Rodgers.  Seems like his body of pass catching stats could have been considerably higher.  

Users who are viewing this thread